ImageImageImage

Where does ET rank in 76ers bust history?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Re: Where does ET rank in 76ers bust history? 

Post#41 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:13 pm

76ers3 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
76ers3 wrote:He isn't even a bad NBA player, just average imo..I have a feeling most of you guys wouldn't even make such claims if he wasn't such a high pick either.

He got traded for a future 2nd round pick, got buried on the bench behind guys that have no business getting playoff minutes, and then signed for a portion of the midlevel with an awful team. No one in the NBA thinks he's an average player.

Turner fell out of the rotation because of a lack of chemistry with the team/sick, not because he was awful. If he has similar luck in this Boston stint, then I'll probably change my mind.

Boston is bad. He'll probably be in the rotation.
That's the point. His best option was to take a below average amount of money from a below average team.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#42 » by Sixerscan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:15 pm

Ericb5 wrote:Ok, let me just reiterate my question directly to people who say that turner or Milic are busts.

Who are examples of top 5 picks that were disappointing that you WOULDN'T call a bust?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Tyreke, Jeff Green, Kanter, Bargnani, Okafor
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#43 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:20 pm

Ericb5 wrote:Ok, let me just reiterate my question directly to people who say that turner or Milic are busts.

Who are examples of top 5 picks that were disappointing that you WOULDN'T call a bust?

Keith Van Horn, Mike Bibby, Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#44 » by ckchen » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:22 pm

Lurk Nowitzki wrote:
ckchen wrote:
Lurk Nowitzki wrote:
Turner was supposed to be the face of our franchise. Hes on his 3rd team already. Let go already, you'll feel better. Hes a bust. Nobody is saying he isn't a serviceable player, but his draft selection paired with his expectations from a city starving for a go to guy pretty much makes him a bust.

Evan Turner was never supposed to be the face of our franchise. Maybe in some fan's dreams - but he was never marketed or played as if he was somehow going to be the savior of the franchise. I mean, they brought him off the bench for 2 seasons. Everything knew going into that draft that it was a John Wall plus a bunch of question marks, and I don't think anyone ever had the delusions/expectations that Turner would ever become a superstar franchise player. Did he live up to his draft position? No, but that doesn't make him a bust (yet). If he washes out of the league in the next year or two, I would say sure. But I think it's far too early to legitimately call him bust already.

By that logic, after the first 4 or so years, you could've called Chauncey Billups a bust (#3 pick in an only 1 man sure thing draft) - who washed out of his first few teams and was traded multiple times. That would've been a pretty big mistake, and then missing 10+ yrs of prime all-star quality basketball. Not saying that's on the horizon for ET, but I think you have to see how the rest of his career plays out.

Anybody picked Top 3 is expected to be the face of a franchise. Especially a team like the 76ers. If you are the #2 pick in the draft and you are coming off being college player of the year, you are very well expected to be the face of a franchise some day. He is a bust. He nay become something but as it stands today, hes a bust. People were comparing him to Brandon Roy.' :nonono:

I'm sorry, but that is absolutely not true.

Anybody expecting Otto Porter to become the face of the Washington Wizards?
Enes Kanter was CLEARLY supposed to be face of the Utah Jazz.
How about now (former) Sixer Hasheem Thabeet? Hard for me to remember way back to 2009, but I can probably safely say that no one ever expected that guy to be the face of the Grizzlies.
There are literally dozens more examples of top 3 picks that were never expected to be the "face of the franchise".

A weak draft is a weak draft. Being the #2 pick in the draft doesn't mean anything. Being the 2nd smartest idiot in a room full idiots doesn't make someone not an idiot.
ckchen
Veteran

Post#45 » by ckchen » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:24 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:

Tristan Thompson, Tyreke Evans, OJ Mayo (sorta), Jeff Green.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,861

Post#46 » by Phila Tough » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:26 pm

ckchen wrote:
Lurk Nowitzki wrote:
ckchen wrote:
Evan Turner was never supposed to be the face of our franchise. Maybe in some fan's dreams - but he was never marketed or played as if he was somehow going to be the savior of the franchise. I mean, they brought him off the bench for 2 seasons. Everything knew going into that draft that it was a John Wall plus a bunch of question marks, and I don't think anyone ever had the delusions/expectations that Turner would ever become a superstar franchise player. Did he live up to his draft position? No, but that doesn't make him a bust (yet). If he washes out of the league in the next year or two, I would say sure. But I think it's far too early to legitimately call him bust already.

By that logic, after the first 4 or so years, you could've called Chauncey Billups a bust (#3 pick in an only 1 man sure thing draft) - who washed out of his first few teams and was traded multiple times. That would've been a pretty big mistake, and then missing 10+ yrs of prime all-star quality basketball. Not saying that's on the horizon for ET, but I think you have to see how the rest of his career plays out.

Anybody picked Top 3 is expected to be the face of a franchise. Especially a team like the 76ers. If you are the #2 pick in the draft and you are coming off being college player of the year, you are very well expected to be the face of a franchise some day. He is a bust. He nay become something but as it stands today, hes a bust. People were comparing him to Brandon Roy.' :nonono:

How about now (former) Sixer Hasheem Thabeet? Hard for me to remember way back to 2009, but I can probably safely say that no one ever expected that guy to be the face of the Grizzlies.
There are literally dozens more examples of top 3 picks that were never expected to be the "face of the franchise".

A weak draft is a weak draft. Being the #2 pick in the draft doesn't mean anything. Being the 2nd smartest idiot in a room full idiots doesn't make someone not an idiot.

Valid point but totally different situations. Evan Turner by all means was expected to be the franchise player. I'd imagine an overwhelming amount of 76er fans would agree with me.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#47 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:28 pm

It's far from a guarantee that Turner will even have a Mike Dunleavy Jr type career.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#48 » by Sixerscan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:30 pm

A good rule of thumb seems to be, if your team didn't give you your Qualifying Offer to make you a restricted free agent, chances are that you are a bust.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#49 » by LloydFree » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:48 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Larry Hughes wasn't a bust and nobody was crying that hard when they passed on Paul Pierce. There is a reason Pierce fell to the 10th pick. People didn't think he was that good. And NOBODY wanted Dirk in the top part of the lottery.

But we're not having this conversation in 1998, we're having it now. The whole idea of calling someone a bust revolves around hindsight.

You're right. We're having the conversation now, so you can't go back and say Larry Hughes was a bust, because it turns out that Dirk Nowitzki became a Hall of Famer. Larry Hughes had a career that's probably in the top 90 percent of players drafted, and he had a better career than probably 5 guys picked ahead of him in that draft. How the heck is that a bust?

A bust is a player that wasn't as good as his draft position. You don't become a bust because somebody picked after you became better. If that is the case then Ray Allen is a bust, because they could have had Kobe. Evan Turner isn't a bust because Demarcus Cousins is 100x better than him, he's a bust because you don't expect a #2 pick to be terrible.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#50 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:58 pm

LloydFree wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Larry Hughes wasn't a bust and nobody was crying that hard when they passed on Paul Pierce. There is a reason Pierce fell to the 10th pick. People didn't think he was that good. And NOBODY wanted Dirk in the top part of the lottery.

But we're not having this conversation in 1998, we're having it now. The whole idea of calling someone a bust revolves around hindsight.

You're right. We're having the conversation now, so you can't go back and say Larry Hughes was a bust, because it turns out that Dirk Nowitzki became a Hall of Famer. Larry Hughes had a career that's probably in the top 90 percent of players drafted, and he had a better career than probably 5 guys picked ahead of him in that draft. How the heck is that a bust?

A bust is a player that wasn't as good as his draft position. You don't become a bust because somebody picked after you became better. If that is the case then Ray Allen is a bust, because they could have had Kobe. Evan Turner isn't a bust because Demarcus Cousins is 100x better than him, he's a bust because you don't expect a #2 pick to be terrible.

Hughes had a better career than 3 guys picked ahead of him, maybe 4 if you include white chocolate.

I also never called Hughes a bust. I'm just saying that it's pretty much standard to use hindsight when evaluating whether or not a player was a bust. Not all drafts are created equal, so it's not just relative to draft position, but also relative to the level of talent in that draft. In retrospect.
ckchen
Veteran

Post#51 » by ckchen » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Lurk Nowitzki wrote:
ckchen wrote:
Lurk Nowitzki wrote:

Valid point but totally different situations. Evan Turner by all means was expected to be the franchise player. I'd imagine an overwhelming amount of 76er fans would agree with me.

I don't recall anyone placing that type of expectation on the guy. Although if he was expected to be a franchise player, there probably would've been an uprising that he wasn't starting or even given close to starter's minutes after a year rather than just general acceptance. Also, if I recall the roster at the time, people would have been far more likely to say that Jrue Holiday was probably the franchise player on the team. And after that, probably Iguodala. Either or those would've been discussed as the franchise or star player on the team, before Evan Turner was even mentioned (so 3rd star at best) and that would've held true probably even right after he was drafted.

I can also say that I believe that an overwhelming amount of 76er fans would have agreed with that. So...I guess I just don't accept your blanket statement. By my memory, I don't recall Evan Turner ever really being held up as franchise player even after he was drafted. I'm not saying there weren't expecations/hope that he would turn out to be a star player, but I don't think there were ever these fanbase-wide expecations that he was the face of the franchise.
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#52 » by Lapinski » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:42 pm

Leon Wood has to be considered a bust in the 1984 draft. The Sixers drafted Charles Barkley with the 5th pick of the draft and selected Wood at #10.

He bounced around the league until 90-91 finishing with a career scoring average of 6.4 ppg in 16.5 mpg. He shot .392 over his career after being drafted as a shooter.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#53 » by 51X3RF4N » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:55 pm

1. Shawn Bradley
2. Evan Turner
3. Rodney Carner
4. Arnette Moultrie
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
DavidHume
Junior
And1: 122

Post#54 » by DavidHume » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:52 pm

There's very little disagreement in this thread about which players were bad or about how bad they were. But there seems to be a lot of debate about what the definition of "bust" is. I don't see the purpose of debating definitions. Two people could be arguing strenuously without actually disagreeing about any particular player; they're only arguing about a word.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#55 » by Ericb5 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:27 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:

There are a few posts in a row here with some good names, but ultimately I think that Turner is in the same class as the bottom half of them, and that the better ones like Van Horn and Gordon had pretty darn good careers all things considered.

sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#56 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:58 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

There are a few posts in a row here with some good names, but ultimately I think that Turner is in the same class as the bottom half of them, and that the better ones like Van Horn and Gordon had pretty darn good careers all things considered.

Yeah, they did have good careers, very good careers. But considering they were top 3 picks who never even made a single all-star game, it's safe to say they were disappointing. You can be disappointing but not be a bust. But Turner is not and likely will never be on the level of those 4 players I mentioned.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#57 » by Sixerscan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:25 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

Well yeah they were top 5 picks.

Which of the players that have been listed do you think is in the same class as Turner? Certainly not Bibby or Okafor.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#58 » by Ericb5 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:08 am

I think that turner is in the same class with Tristen Thompson, OJ Mayo and Jeff Green.

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#59 » by LloydFree » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:43 am

There is not a team in the NBA that would trade Tristan Thompson for Evan Turner.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to Philadelphia 76ers