ImageImageImage

Players waived from other teams / projected roster cutdowns

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Players waived from other teams / projected roster cutdowns 

Post#1 » by ckchen » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:42 pm

As preseason continues, players will continue to be waived from other teams as rosters cut down.

Are there any players you guys are seeing that might get waived from other teams because of a roster crunch that would be worth claiming over our slew of nonguaranteed guys? (Basically someone you would take over Ware, Gordon, Chris Johnson, Sampson, E. Williams, Roberts, Lee)

I did a quick pass of other teams looking for potential prospects on teams with too many players and saw a couple opportunities:

1. Dwight Powell (Celtics) - obtained as a 16th contract in their deal for Bogans. He's partially guaranteed and only makes the team if the C's waive Vitor Faverani's $2M guaranteed deal.

2. Glenn Robinson III - probably won't get waived, but has a nonguaranteed deal (like KJ) - and is similarly their 16th contract. They'd have to waive Robbie Hummel or JJ Barea's $4.5M deal in order to keep him. They probably waive one of those guys, but if not seems like he would be a steal of a pickup off waivers.

3. Jordan Hamilton - signed a camp deal with Raptors, but only makes the team if they waive Stiemsma on a team with almost no C depth. Former 1st rounder, has shown flashes, still only 24. Might be a decent SG option on a team lacking any players there.

Anyone see anyone else?
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Re: Players waived from other teams / projected roster cutdo 

Post#2 » by Forte IV » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Seth Curry could be a good shooter off the bench for you guys
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
ckchen
Veteran

Post#3 » by ckchen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:07 am

Forte IV wrote:Seth Curry could be a good shooter off the bench for you guys

I like Seth Curry, but I think the problem with Curry is that he's too undersized as a SG (generously listed at 6'2", really more like 6'1") and also lacks speed and defensive ability. The problem with Curry is similar to Jimmer - he might have been a lights-out shooter at the college level, but I think ultimately, his lack of size, speed and athleticism leaves him a limited at the NBA level. You can survive as a spot-up shooter, but if you're too small or too slow to get open, you will probably struggle.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,842

Post#4 » by Mik317 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:15 am

Curry also goes against Hinkie's apparent hatred for all things shooting.

Lanky athletes who do it all (but shoot) is what Hinkie lusts for.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Tension
Sixth Man
And1: 121

Post#5 » by Tension » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:25 am

I like Robert Covington as a 3&D guy. He's a great athlete and is a very good shot blocker. Pretty much what we'd want from Jerami Grant or KJ to become.
ckchen
Veteran

Post#6 » by ckchen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Tension wrote:I like Robert Covington as a 3&D guy. He's a great athlete and is a very good shot blocker. Pretty much what we'd want from Jerami Grant or KJ to become.

It's not like Covington has much of a track record either (unless you count D-league). Not sure what the benefit would be when he would essentially just duplicate the same role we have targeted for our own guys (and hence, block their development), unless he can legimately play some PF.
MCtripDub
Pro Prospect
And1: 254
Location: Manila, Philippines: Home of Team Gilas Pilipinas #Puso

Post#7 » by MCtripDub » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:26 pm

Mike Beasley just signed with the shanghai sharks. Just sayin. I'm all for giving people a chance for redemption, which was why I was all for Vick signing with the eagles back in 2010. Beasley is only 25, and we still need a scorer from the wing...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Help a fellow Sixer fan out! Please drop by http://nbadraftaddict.tumblr.com/ :D

Thanks! #TogetherWeBuild

76ersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 205

Post#8 » by 76ersfan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:36 pm

MCtripDub wrote:Mike Beasley just signed with the shanghai sharks. Just sayin. I'm all for giving people a chance for redemption, which was why I was all for Vick signing with the eagles back in 2010. Beasley is only 25, and we still need a scorer from the wing...

I see what you are saying but I just don't think Beasley fits the program Brett Brown is trying to build currently.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Long Live Sam Hinkie :D
76ersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 205

Post#9 » by 76ersfan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:37 pm

MCtripDub wrote:Mike Beasley just signed with the shanghai sharks. Just sayin. I'm all for giving people a chance for redemption, which was why I was all for Vick signing with the eagles back in 2010. Beasley is only 25, and we still need a scorer from the wing...

And I also think if Beasley gets the right coach he can be a solid player.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Long Live Sam Hinkie :D
ckchen
Veteran

Post#10 » by ckchen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:14 pm

Since when is Beasley a wing player? He's was always most effective as a PF, playing around the rim, in college. He has some ability to shoot from mid-range, but he's basically proven to be a classic tweener, not quite big enough to play PF effectively, not effective enough on the perimeter to play SF in the NBA. Also, since he's signed with the Sharks, he's not even available to play in the NBA until March.
Tension
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by Tension » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:31 pm

ckchen wrote:
Tension wrote:I like Robert Covington as a 3&D guy. He's a great athlete and is a very good shot blocker. Pretty much what we'd want from Jerami Grant or KJ to become.

It's not like Covington has much of a track record either (unless you count D-league). Not sure what the benefit would be when he would essentially just duplicate the same role we have targeted for our own guys (and hence, block their development), unless he can legimately play some PF.

Well its not like Grant or McDaniels are guaranteed to become those guys. Competition shouldnt hinder their development with so many minutes available. He's a low risk move that'll be cheap and could turn into a trade chip for us. I work as a video guy for the NBA and have seen a handful of his D-league games and he pops on tape. (Morey seems to love D-league stars having Troy Daniels and Canaan on the roster before cutting Covington) Wroten came from the D-league also FYI.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#12 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:37 pm

On top of being tall, lanky and somewhat athletic....Covington can shoot the rock from 3,something we def need.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
ckchen
Veteran

Post#13 » by ckchen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:48 pm

Tension wrote:
ckchen wrote:

Well its not like Grant or McDaniels are guaranteed to become those guys. Competition shouldnt hinder their development with so many minutes available. He's a low risk move that'll be cheap and could turn into a trade chip for us. I work as a video guy for the NBA and have seen a handful of his D-league games and he pops on tape. (Morey seems to love D-league stars having Troy Daniels and Canaan on the roster before cutting Covington) Wroten came from the D-league also FYI.

I'm not saying he might not have some game, but we have all seen repeatedly that D-league success doesn't really mean a whole lot in the NBA. I mean, what has Troy Daniels or Isaiah Canaan done either, for that matter? Not a single person from last year's D-league all-stars roster has become even be what you would consider a legitimate rotation player, but rather fringe roster types like Dewayne Dedmon and Jarvis Varnado. In fact, over the past 3 or 4 years, only one D-league all-star player (Gerald Green) has really translated D-league success into any kind of NBA level success. I suppose if you want to count the 1/2 season of Henry Sims that we saw last year, maybe 2 in the past 3-4 years. Wroten, IMO, was not a d-league player - he was just a very young 1st round draft pick who was sent down because Memphis didn't have anywhere to play/develop him. That's not the same as an undrafted player playing the majority of their games at the d-league level because they might not have ability to make the leap.

This all leads back to my point, which is someone like Covington has about as much of an NBA track record as KJ or Grant at this point, and while competition sounds like a good thing, IMO, it really would just muddy the long-term progress for those guys. If it's me, I don't really see the value in grabbing someone like that. If they grab anyone at all it should be for areas where we don't have need/aren't developing other players, like 2 guard or a backup bigs, maybe even a 3rd string PG.
ckchen
Veteran

Post#14 » by ckchen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:07 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:On top of being tall, lanky and somewhat athletic....Covington can shoot the rock from 3,something we def need.

Can he? I had assumed as a college PF who never had much of a shot in college, that his 3 pt shot would be somewhat suspect. If true, that's surprising to me. If it's barely above league average type 3 pt shooting, while that might sound great on a team that's almost completely devoid of 3 pt threats outside of Hollis, I would wonder if that's legitimate.
bigdavid
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#15 » by bigdavid » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:44 pm

Generally the Sixers do not acquire players they trade the good ones away for very future draft picks. We probably lead the NBA in future draft picks
Now we have to find some healthy people who can actually play.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#16 » by Skates » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:02 pm

bigdavid wrote:Generally the Sixers do not acquire players they trade the good ones away for very future draft picks. We probably lead the NBA in future draft picks

Thad Young was leaving after this year and was traded for a first round pick in this year's draft. That is hardly very future. Hawes and Turner were expiring deals, with Turner getting a smaller deal on the open market than Jodie Meeks or Nick Young (both our two months with injuries, BTW), no great loss there. Holiday was moved for a pick in the same draft and the next one, hardly very future draft picks.

The team did acquire Tony Wroten around this time last year for basically nothing. That is essentially what this thread is talking about, picking up young guys who need a chance to prove themselves and grow with the team. Picking up a middling, no longer young veteran at this point would be the definition of useless unless they have future trade value.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#17 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:36 pm

Skates wrote:
bigdavid wrote:Generally the Sixers do not acquire players they trade the good ones away for very future draft picks. We probably lead the NBA in future draft picks

Thad Young was leaving after this year and was traded for a first round pick in this year's draft. That is hardly very future. Hawes and Turner were expiring deals, with Turner getting a smaller deal on the open market than Jodie Meeks or Nick Young (both our two months with injuries, BTW), no great loss there. Holiday was moved for a pick in the same draft and the next one, hardly very future draft picks.

The team did acquire Tony Wroten around this time last year for basically nothing. That is essentially what this thread is talking about, picking up young guys who need a chance to prove themselves and grow with the team. Picking up a middling, no longer young veteran at this point would be the definition of useless unless they have future trade value.

Don't forget about Brandon "Mormon Mojo" Davies. Another gem stolen off the open market around this time last year, and he's looking primed to have a 14 year career as a 76er.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#18 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:40 pm

ckchen wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:On top of being tall, lanky and somewhat athletic....Covington can shoot the rock from 3,something we def need.

Can he? I had assumed as a college PF who never had much of a shot in college, that his 3 pt shot would be somewhat suspect. If true, that's surprising to me. If it's barely above league average type 3 pt shooting, while that might sound great on a team that's almost completely devoid of 3 pt threats outside of Hollis, I would wonder if that's legitimate.

Yes he can absolutely stroke it. Heres his 3PT% from College and Nba/Dleague last year:

36.4 (NBA)
35.5 (D-Lg, and took 8.5 a game)

Believe he was the NBDL ROY and MVP last year as well....he had multiple 40+ point games.

He also has posted a PER of at least 19.1 since College. for all those advanced/PER lovers.
19.1 (freshman)
20.5 (Dleague)

Not saying he's Kyle Korver, but he's def a capable shooter with some size and athletic ability....id certainly welcome him over some of the wastes of space on our current roster.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#19 » by Kobblehead » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:52 pm

It took the 5th post for someone to utter the term "3&D?" Ya'll are slacking.
Tension
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by Tension » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:46 pm

ckchen wrote:
Tension wrote:
ckchen wrote:

I'm not saying he might not have some game, but we have all seen repeatedly that D-league success doesn't really mean a whole lot in the NBA. I mean, what has Troy Daniels or Isaiah Canaan done either, for that matter?.

Troy Daniels became a key rotation piece during the playoffs last year as a sharpshooter (very good shooter off the dribble too, so not just limited to catch and shoot)

Canaan will also be an important rotation player now that Lin's gone so you can't devalue them just yet..

Also, since when did "3&D" become frowned upon? Sure as hell better than saying "athletic wing defender whose a good shooter, but doesn't shoot long twos because that's inefficient"

Return to Philadelphia 76ers