ImageImageImage

Larry Brown hates Sixers rebuilding plan

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Re: Larry Brown hates Sixers rebuilding plan 

Post#21 » by PhilasFinest » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:53 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:The Sixers may lose a lot of games but they look like a absolute bitch to matchup with for opposing offensives with all that length and athleticism on the floor . I really like the players we are bringing in and the culture and philosophy that Sam Hinkie and Brett Brown are bringing to the program. Defense and hustle is already showing up on the court. Once we get some serious offensive talent with our next lottery pick and Miami 1st next yr plus Embidd, Saric , MCW and McRae . We will be a nasty two way team in a few years. Larry Browns team in early 2000's probably couldn't beat this current team lol.

Thats assuming Embiid can get healthy, return and develop into a star big man.....then Saric decides to come over in 2-3 years and is actually an NBA player..and we luck out in the lottery and actually take offensively talented players that are going to play.

I doubt this team could beat any Larry Brown coached team, hell SMU might give them a run for there money. (sarcasm). But honestly, our team might have lost to Dana Barros and Weatherspoon era sixers. We just lost to a Pacer team without pretty much its entire starting lineup outside of Hibbert.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
KKell2507
Starter
And1: 507

Post#22 » by KKell2507 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:54 pm

All of his quotes were trying to trash the tank. When in reality, he was trashing Brett Brown. Which I find completely absurd and out of line. "How much teaching is really going on?" That's a direct shot at Brett Brown because he doesn't think these guys are learning how to play basketball.

"I love Noel. I love Joel. But you cant put that stuff into them." Whoever said anyone told Noel or Joel we would be bad on purpose? Is Noel not going out there to try his hardest to win games? Would this team not be better if Joel is actually able to play right now?

For all of these coaches hating the tank, are any of them actually watching the Sixers games? Or are they just looking at the roster? Because if they actually watched the Sixers games, they would see that these guys are trying their asses off to win. They'd see Brett Brown working his ass off on the sideline to both promote discipline and help his players get better. He was over there punching his fist in disgust after we gave up that last bucket so easily with under a minute to go. They'd see a team doing everything they could to try to win a basketball game.

It also really angers me, when these coaches try to speak on behalf of the Sixers fans. Because that includes me. And I am 100% on board with what the Sixers are doing. So I don't need other people from the outside speaking on my behalf. I want to win a championship. Larry Brown's method didnt bring a championship in the early 2000s, Doug Collins method definitely didn't work in the last 5 years. And maybe this method doesn't work either. But it wont be because we didnt try something different and it sure as hell wont be any worse than what Larry Brown or Doug Collins or Stan Van Gundy brought to this team. Because they all brought 0. The same 0 we've had for the last 30 years.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#23 » by sixerswillrule » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:30 pm

roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Post#24 » by roma258 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:40 pm

Fun fact, Sixers won 22 games in AI's first year. A whopping 3 more than the horrible tankers of last year. We're year 2 of the re-build...these things take time. Not every coach gets to come in with the pieces already nicely in place. So like I said earlier, Larry Brown can go pound sand.
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#25 » by ZarcMumoff » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:24 pm

Can we please get an ESPN one hour special with Larry Brown and Doug Collins trashing analytics?
BobThornton
Pro Prospect
And1: 239

Post#26 » by BobThornton » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:33 pm

PK5 wrote:Can we please get an ESPN one hour special with Larry Brown and Doug Collins trashing analytics?

They can diagram plays for long 2's.
KKell2507
Starter
And1: 507

Post#27 » by KKell2507 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:45 pm

BobThornton wrote:
PK5 wrote:Can we please get an ESPN one hour special with Larry Brown and Doug Collins trashing analytics?

They can diagram plays for long 2's.

Arnett Moultrie can be their practice player for demonstrations.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#28 » by LongLiveHinkie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:53 pm

Larry Brown said the Sixers don't have any "basketball people."

This is coming from a guy who overruled his "basketball people" when they told him to draft Paul Pierce or Dirk Nowitzki and he took Larry F'n Hughes.

Then he tried to get Iverson traded and it was halted because of Matt F'n Geiger, and the Sixers went on to make a Finals appearance with that "cancer in the clubhouse." Great call there, Larry.

Oh, and when he did finally get a ring, he did it with a team that was already ready made for him. So he couldn't find a way to screw it up with his anal roster-building like he did everywhere else.

I think he's a great coach, but let's call a spade a spade.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,494

Post#29 » by GoSixersBro » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:13 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:Image

This image was literally the first thought that went through my head before opening the thread. Glad someone posted it.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
42uptop
Starter
And1: 754

Post#30 » by 42uptop » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:21 pm

If Larry Brown was a good coach he wouldn't be toiling in obscurity at a non-basketball program. The game changes over time, and some fossils like Larry Brown can't adjust. I'll take my chances with Hinkie.
I speak the truth.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,563

Post#31 » by NYSixersFan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:27 pm

I haven't posted much on this forum because I'm completely disgusted with what's going on.

I'm not a Larry Brown fan, but the fans are being hoodwinked by the organization.

What's happening now is a complete farce. It's a money making scheme by ownership and job security scheme by Hinkie.

At first, I supported this plan....I was totally on board last year....but this is now a disgrace....what is the point of this season? who are we tanking for? this is not a good draft.....all we are going to do is be completely embarrassed; while developing a losing culture and bad habits.

I've heard Hinkie say numerous times that they are always trying to get the best players possible.....that's a flat out lie.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#32 » by Sixerscan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:40 pm

Westbrook36 wrote:Larry Brown said the Sixers don't have any "basketball people."

This is coming from a guy who overruled his "basketball people" when they told him to draft Paul Pierce or Dirk Nowitzki and he took Larry F'n Hughes.

Then he tried to get Iverson traded and it was halted because of Matt F'n Geiger, and the Sixers went on to make a Finals appearance with that "cancer in the clubhouse." Great call there, Larry.

Oh, and when he did finally get a ring, he did it with a team that was already ready made for him. So he couldn't find a way to screw it up with his anal roster-building like he did everywhere else.

It's pretty obvious that line was code for him being upset about them firing his friends DiLeo and Witte.
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#33 » by Cru Thik » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Oneil was on DNL trying to smooth stuff over tonight. Was it bad I had no clue who Oneil was? I was thinking to myself why would Shaq/Dana be responding to Larry Brown. Oh well much to do about nothing. Oneil should have taken the high road in the first place.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#34 » by LongLiveHinkie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:54 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Westbrook36 wrote:Larry Brown said the Sixers don't have any "basketball people."

It's pretty obvious that line was code for him being upset about them firing his friends DiLeo and Witte.

Probably, but he still said it, so any criticism is fair game.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#35 » by dbodner » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:05 pm

Westbrook36 wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Probably, but he still said it, so any criticism is fair game.

Also, there were rumors that Brown was interested in the coaching job last year before Hinkie was hired. He could very well be bitter about that being shot down, not to mention Sam replacing DiLeo and moving on from Witte.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,494

Post#36 » by GoSixersBro » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:10 pm

NYSixersFan wrote:I haven't posted much on this forum because I'm completely disgusted with what's going on.

I'm not a Larry Brown fan, but the fans are being hoodwinked by the organization.

What's happening now is a complete farce. It's a money making scheme by ownership and job security scheme by Hinkie.

At first, I supported this plan....I was totally on board last year....but this is now a disgrace....what is the point of this season? who are we tanking for? this is not a good draft.....all we are going to do is be completely embarrassed; while developing a losing culture and bad habits.

I've heard Hinkie say numerous times that they are always trying to get the best players possible.....that's a flat out lie.

Do explain something to me how is this a money making scheme? They're probably losing so much money trotting out this joke of a squad each night at the WFC. Sixers games didn't even necessarily have good attendance when they were a 38-42 win team for all those years.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#37 » by ckchen » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:15 pm

NYSixersFan wrote:I haven't posted much on this forum because I'm completely disgusted with what's going on.

Why, do you think they should have paid the max to try and get Eric Bledsoe here? You can hate all you want, but there were no viable options to improve in free agency that wouldn't have been massively overpaying for a bad fit/injury risk/question mark. Would you rather the team just spent money on mediocre free agents to lock us into salary cap killing deals just because? And have you forgotten that if we somehow made the playoffs this year, we would owe the Celtics our #1 pick?

We're not tanking FOR anyone, but spending money on terrible FAs and losing the draft picks you need to rebuild is even worse.
NYSixersFan
Analyst

Post#38 » by NYSixersFan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:34 pm

ckchen wrote:

Why, do you think they should have paid the max to try and get Eric Bledsoe here? You can hate all you want, but there were no viable options to improve in free agency that wouldn't have been massively overpaying for a bad fit/injury risk/question mark. Would you rather the team just spent money on mediocre free agents to lock us into salary cap killing deals just because? And have you forgotten that if we somehow made the playoffs this year, we would owe the Celtics our #1 pick?

We're not tanking FOR anyone, but spending money on terrible FAs and losing the draft picks you need to rebuild is even worse.

I never said we should sign mediocre free agents to bad contracts. We could have added several quality players who have 1 or 2 years left on their contracts from teams looking to create cap room.

I get the sense this team would not have signed LeBron if he wanted to come here, because it's not part of the 5 year plan. There is absolutely no reason for this to take 5 years to fix.

going into this past off-season we had....Noel, MCW, Thaddeus, two top 10 picks and 30 mil in cap room.....and this is what we currently have? sorry, I'm not buying this fiasco.
NYSixersFan
Analyst

Post#39 » by NYSixersFan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:40 pm

I get the sense that people believing this bogus plan think we'll definitely be a real title contender in 4-5 years.

We are throwing away years you'll never get back....it's easy to push things down the road...takes the pressure off you...once you try to win; there's more scrutiny on you.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#40 » by Sixerscan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:40 pm

NYSixersFan wrote:
ckchen wrote:

I never said we should sign mediocre free agents to bad contracts. We could have added several quality players who have 1 or 2 years left on their contracts from teams looking to create cap room.

I get the sense this team would not have signed LeBron if he wanted to come here, because it's not part of the 5 year plan. There is absolutely no reason for this to take 5 years to fix.

going into this past off-season we had....Noel, MCW, Thaddeus, two top 10 picks and 30 mil in cap room.....and this is what we currently have? sorry, I'm not buying this fiasco.

What sort of player are you referring to?

I agree that they aren't signing players in part because they want to save money (on top of not wanting to steal minutes from young players) but that's because the amount of money you would need to spend to make this team not awful would be astronomical. Add $15 million of player to this team and it still loses 50+ games easy.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers