ImageImageImage

'15 March Madness / NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

ratrac
Sixth Man
And1: 706

Re: '15 March Madness / NBA Draft Thread 

Post#461 » by ratrac » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:02 pm

Kolkmania wrote:Personally I think the draft is a bit overrated this year. Okafor is having troubles in the tournament against better opponents and is still lacking enthusiasm (if March Madness isn't enough, what is?). Towns did a great job offensively against a foul troubled Auguste, but struggled the match prior, I doubt he's ready to make an immediate impact in the NBA. I love Russell in college, but personally I think he's just not quick enough to be an elite PG. His change and direction of speed is nowhere near Curry for example, he'll probably be a better SG. Defensively he will face major problems at both positions.

Mudiay, Hezonja, and Porzingis, I just have no clue what to think about them. Porzingis is at least making some minutes, but the other two are just extremely hard to judge due to their limited minutes. If Hezonja is truly special, why is Barcelona not playing him despite his flirts with the NBA? Besides that, I find it extremely difficult to translate skill sets from the Euroleague to the NBA, so more athletic and intense.

Winslow is a defensive force, offensively just ok. I would be fairly content when we pick him if we land at the 6th pick in worst case scenario. Stanley Johnson is a no go for me, Kaminsky gets bullied in the paint, even in college. WCS is decent, but a horrible fit with Embiid and Noel.

I'm not seeing a potential superstar in this draft (maybe Towns with a good development situation). Am I to sceptical?

You partially answered your own question. If he's truly special and flirts with the NBA, Barcelona would rather hold his stock artificially lower, so he would not go to the NBA next season. Another thing, usually 19-year olds don't get a lot of minutes at the top teams (goal is to win, not to groom).
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
FreesFro
Pro Prospect
And1: 274

Post#462 » by FreesFro » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:22 pm

Hear me out. Could a comp for Russell be a smaller Paul Pierce? Both very good shooters. Both not elite athletes. Pierce just has more length, a nice advantage to have though.

Nobody thought Pierce would be able to drive and finish like he did in NBA. That's why he dropped to 10 or 11 in draft.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#463 » by LloydFree » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:30 pm

FreesFro wrote:Hear me out. Could a comp for Russell be a smaller Paul Pierce? Both very good shooters. Both not elite athletes. Pierce just has more length, a nice advantage to have though.

Nobody thought Pierce would be able to drive and finish like he did in NBA. That's why he dropped to 10 or 11 in draft.

Paul Pierce is/was a better athlete than he's given credit for being. He doesn't LOOK like an athlete, but he was dunking all over guys when he was in HS and college.

D'angelo Russell is a tough comp, but I would say he's a less selfish, better shooting OJ Mayo.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,556

Post#464 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:40 pm

FreesFro wrote:Hear me out. Could a comp for Russell be a smaller Paul Pierce? Both very good shooters. Both not elite athletes. Pierce just has more length, a nice advantage to have though.

Paul Pierce has elite ability to create shots and draw fouls.

And yeah, like Lloyd said, Pierce has an underrated athletic ability. Russell's size needs him more than his size and athleticism to finish around the rim in the NBA.

I still think that the closest comparison for Russell is Steph Curry. Both guys are elite shooters and elite passers in college. I don't think anyone expected Curry to be this good in the NBA.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#465 » by snoopdogg88 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:05 pm

the Steph Curry comparison always scares me, because Steph is like a 1 in a 1000 talent. A fluke essentially.

Most guys with his (lack of) athleticism and speed don't fare too well as superstars. OJ Mayo seems more realistic.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#466 » by Skates » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:07 pm

Right now the draft is looking like a top 2 in KAT and Okafor in some order, then it really depends on workouts, more thorough reviews of what guys did in college, internationally, interviews and to a large extent, the preferences and opinions of the different teams. Mudiay, Russell, Mario, Porzingis, Winslow, Johnson could be tiered very differently by different teams. Then there are the two big guys in WCS and Turner, who knows with them, especially Turner, but size definitely tends to rise near draft time. To me WCS is a need pick for the right team, given the right fit he could be a very good starting role player. Kaminsky will get over drafted as will Oubre in the late lottery. Lyles might shoot up some boards if he declares.

Unless we grab Mudiay early, I don't see a lot of teams needing PG's in the Grant/Dunn range, though someone might grab Grant earlier since he is a true combo guard. I think the Heat pick will give us a good shot at a PG if Hinkie likes any of them in that range. The Thunder pick is definitely BPA if we get it, 19 is a good spot for guys who unexpectedly fall.

And in a few weeks this will change entirely, lol.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,843

Post#467 » by Mik317 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:44 pm

People need to realize that most of the dudes we are talking about are 19 year old kids..no **** they aren't going to be the most consistent dudes. The impressive part is that any of them are at this level RIGHT NOW...which means if they get better and their bodies mature, they will take off.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#468 » by Marcus » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:06 pm

Mik317 wrote:People need to realize that most of the dudes we are talking about are 19 year old kids..no **** they aren't going to be the most consistent dudes. The impressive part is that any of them are at this level RIGHT NOW...which means if they get better and their bodies mature, they will take off.

its the instant gratification in life that folks seem to want. COMPLETELY forget they're like a year removed HIGH SCHOOL. but whateves.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#469 » by LloydFree » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:15 pm

snoopdogg88 wrote:the Steph Curry comparison always scares me, because Steph is like a 1 in a 1000 talent. A fluke essentially.

Most guys with his (lack of) athleticism and speed don't fare too well as superstars. OJ Mayo seems more realistic.

OJ is more realistic, but keep in mind that Russell is longer, a better shooter and he's 5x the passer. OJ is probably his absolute floor.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#470 » by Kolkmania » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:49 pm

ratrac wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:Personally I think the draft is a bit overrated this year. Okafor is having troubles in the tournament against better opponents and is still lacking enthusiasm (if March Madness isn't enough, what is?). Towns did a great job offensively against a foul troubled Auguste, but struggled the match prior, I doubt he's ready to make an immediate impact in the NBA. I love Russell in college, but personally I think he's just not quick enough to be an elite PG. His change and direction of speed is nowhere near Curry for example, he'll probably be a better SG. Defensively he will face major problems at both positions.

Mudiay, Hezonja, and Porzingis, I just have no clue what to think about them. Porzingis is at least making some minutes, but the other two are just extremely hard to judge due to their limited minutes. If Hezonja is truly special, why is Barcelona not playing him despite his flirts with the NBA? Besides that, I find it extremely difficult to translate skill sets from the Euroleague to the NBA, so more athletic and intense.

Winslow is a defensive force, offensively just ok. I would be fairly content when we pick him if we land at the 6th pick in worst case scenario. Stanley Johnson is a no go for me, Kaminsky gets bullied in the paint, even in college. WCS is decent, but a horrible fit with Embiid and Noel.

I'm not seeing a potential superstar in this draft (maybe Towns with a good development situation). Am I to sceptical?

You partially answered your own question. If he's truly special and flirts with the NBA, Barcelona would rather hold his stock artificially lower, so he would not go to the NBA next season. Another thing, usually 19-year olds don't get a lot of minutes at the top teams (goal is to win, not to groom).

That's a possibility, would create an unhealthy relation to build on next year though. I understand that Barcelona's main goal is winning and not developing Hezonja, but if he's better than his replacement he would play. Players who are good enough, are old enough.

Nevertheless, from what I've seen he could be great. Offensively much more fluid than Oubre, Winslow, Johnson, etc. Would accept a gamble to draft him.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#471 » by Kolkmania » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:03 pm

LloydFree wrote:Interesting interview with Emmanuel Mudiay on his time in China.

(Forgive me if it has already been posted somewhere)

http://collegebasketball.scout.com/story/1531265-will-emmanuel-mudiay-change-the-ncaa

Nice read. A bit contradictory from his side haha.

China was good for his basketball IQ, physicality, shooting form and mental state, also the mentoring of the Americans was helpful (like you wouldn't get that in America :lol: ).

Looking back, if you had to do it all over again, is that the route you would go?
"Definitely. Honestly it challenged me as a basketball player."

Compared to the guys that went to college, do you feel like you have a leg up on those guys?
"I’d say yes."

But then.

I don’t think you’ll be the last guy that goes this route, would you recommend this type of thing to elite high school players?
"..........................................Even though it’s not about the money, if you got $300,000 I wouldn’t recommend you to do it because, well I don’t want to say wasting your time, but you can gain more by staying then going."
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,843

Post#472 » by Mik317 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:08 pm

It doesn't work that way overseas generally.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,494

Post#473 » by GoSixersBro » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:47 pm

I was really impressed with Winslow watching yesterday's game. Wouldn't mind seeing the Sixers take him, but there's certainly better prospects.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#474 » by snoopdogg88 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:10 pm

i think all of the top 15 wing prospects are pretty decent, maybe no superstars in the group, but I'd be happy with Oubre, Johnson, Winslow with the Miami pick/trade up
mksp
Analyst
And1: 2,485

Post#475 » by mksp » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:12 pm

My board is something like this right now, tiered:

KAT
Okafor (As a trade chip)
------
Mario
Russell
Muiday
------
Porzingis
Winslow
-------
Johnson
Oubre

Best case scenario is still getting #1 or #2 and trading back a couple spots, since I'd be happy with anyone from Tier 2 PLUS additional assets.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#476 » by Wilfried » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:28 pm

It would be insane to trade away a Towns or a Okafor.

What if Embiid doesn't stay healthy?
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#477 » by LloydFree » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:25 pm

Wilfried wrote:It would be insane to trade away a Towns or a Okafor.

I'd keep Towns because I believe he has the game to be able to play with either Embiid or Noel. If we are in position to select Okafor, I hold an immediate auction for him. I don't think he is a good fit for either player, and I don't think his value will ever be as high as will be on draft night. I'm not a big fan of Okafor's longterm upside, but do acknowledge that he probably has more value than the two guards.
WorldBeFree
Starter
And1: 406

Post#478 » by WorldBeFree » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:43 pm

From what i have seen Okafor has talent but not the love for the game. I want a guy who thinks "ball is life ". Towns is pretty good but still not sold on him as better then noel or embiid (yes we have 96 minutes to share but who will be the guy of the bench?). The only guy who i really like is grant, all others i haven't seen or arent that good as advertised. Grant at Miami pick would be the best pick we make i feel. I have no idea who to tragen with our first, just best player i guess
mksp
Analyst
And1: 2,485

Post#479 » by mksp » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:46 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Wilfried wrote:It would be insane to trade away a Towns or a Okafor.

I'd keep Towns because I believe he has the game to be able to play with either Embiid or Noel. If we are in position to select Okafor I hold an immediate auction for him. I don't think he is a good fit for either player, and I don't think his value will ever be as high as will be on draft night. I'm not a big fan of Okafor's longterm upside, but do acknowledge that he probably has more value than the two guards.

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel.

Okafor has mind-boggling footwork and touch for a guy his size, but I think guys like Gobert and Embiid will be able to eat him up on both ends.

Towns will be far more versatile. I wouldn't be opposed to trading him either, but the possibility of a KAT / Noel / Embiid rotation is pretty interesting.

From a valuation standpoint, I think if you're picking #1 or #2 you have to take these guys, and then either trade them or figure out what to do with them down the line.
BlackKnight
Rookie
And1: 613

Post#480 » by BlackKnight » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:55 pm

If given the opportunity, I'd take Towns. We get the double benefit of
A. Having an insurance plan for Embiid
B. Having an asset that's more valuable to the league due to big man scarcity

If Hinkie could get the Lakers pick for a flawed MCW, imagine what he could get for Towns :o

Return to Philadelphia 76ers