Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

76ers 2020
Senior
And1: 341

Re: Will Philly sign Free agents? 

Post#41 » by 76ers 2020 » Fri May 8, 2015 8:44 pm

76ers 2020 wrote:
BlackKnight wrote:
Both players weren't as good on defense this year. Not going to blame them as they probably had to shoulder more offensive load. But if you look at what Klay and Jimmy did on both ends of the floor this year, Middleton outproduced them.

Butler acknowledged this recently. Comparing their regular seasons using the diff% it isn't really close. Butler has been incredible so far in the playoffs though.

MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,415

Post#42 » by MiltownHawkeye » Fri May 8, 2015 11:06 pm

Wilfried wrote:A player playing (very?) good for a short period in his career, coïncidentally when he needs to get a new contract.

And then a team spending big bucks on this player.

And then, that player never produces at that level anymore.

I've seen this scenario before ...

He shot 41.4% from 3 his second year in the league, first getting any significant minutes. From his second to third year he improved in every facet of the game, playing that way the entire season and making a jump in production after the trade (to 16/4/3) while still shooting over 40%. You cannot possibly say he's only played well for a short period of his career when he's been an elite shooter on solid volume for 2/3rds of it.

He's 23 years old. You make it sound like he's a 30-year old journeyman that turned it up for half a season.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,816

Post#43 » by Mik317 » Fri May 8, 2015 11:43 pm

yeah Middleton has been sneaky nice for a couple of years now
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#44 » by Kobblehead » Fri May 8, 2015 11:44 pm

If Embiid is the man we think he is, the entire gameplan is to surround him with guys to maximize our symmetry in totality. If that means settling for a lesser player in a vacuum that happens to be a perfect fit, so be it. Middleton can defend multiple positions and he's a volume three point shot maker. Guys like him and Danny Green are slightly more desirable fits than the other top talent at their position.
Att
Senior
And1: 162

Post#45 » by Att » Thu May 14, 2015 12:10 am

Kobblehead wrote:If Embiid is the man we think he is, the entire gameplan is to surround him with guys to maximize our symmetry in totality. If that means settling for a lesser player in a vacuum that happens to be a perfect fit, so be it. Middleton can defend multiple positions and he's a volume three point shot maker. Guys like him and Danny Green are slightly more desirable fits than the other top talent at their position.

Embiid is a huge investment but it's way too soon to make decision with him in mind. He might not be here in a year or might be hurt again.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#46 » by PhilasFinest » Thu May 14, 2015 3:47 pm

Kobblehead wrote:If Embiid is the man we think he is, the entire gameplan is to surround him with guys to maximize our symmetry in totality. If that means settling for a lesser player in a vacuum that happens to be a perfect fit, so be it. Middleton can defend multiple positions and he's a volume three point shot maker. Guys like him and Danny Green are slightly more desirable fits than the other top talent at their position.

While I agree, Would you pay 15M a year for a Danny Green type of player?
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#47 » by PhilasFinest » Thu May 14, 2015 3:58 pm

I like Middleton, but I also think you can find guys like him in the draft and develop them into the role.

Guys like Middleton,DeMarre Carroll,Danny Green,Trevor Ariza,Jimmy Butler,Chandler Parsons,etc etc, were taken in the late 1st or 2nd round and developed into there roles. We had one with the potential in KJ McDaniels but we got rid of him because of a contract situation.

With the abundance of 2nd round picks we posses over the next few years and Brett Brown, I think we can def find a player later in the draft and develop one into a player on the level of some of those listed. Especially if BB installs more "Spurs/Hawks" like sets, which seem to allow players like this to thrive.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#48 » by Kobblehead » Thu May 14, 2015 4:21 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:While I agree, Would you pay 15M a year for a Danny Green type of player?

Yes. I don't mind paying a premium for a guy that I consider a perfect fit. His tier of players is already making that kind of money and will only continue to raise in price tag in the coming years.

Might as well lock a guy like him up now while Embiid and Noel are on their rookie contracts.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#49 » by CoreyGallagher » Thu May 14, 2015 10:13 pm

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2 ... mond-green

76ers can ruin NBA free agency for every other team
The Sixers can take advantage more than most, especially with restricted free agents. The Bulls, Warriors and Spurs likely will match any contract offers on top-tier restricted free agents Jimmy Butler, Draymond Green and Kawhi Leonard. But the Sixers’ role in that process can be to make sure those players get the exact contracts they want, even at the expense of their current teams. It is easy to imagine Hinkie calling the agents for those three players and telling them to draw up any terms they want for an offer sheet, providing leverage against the current teams.

Because of the upcoming cap spikes, top free agents now may not want to sign traditional long-term deals. We saw this with LeBron James last summer and will again with him and other stars who can see the long game. Any offer sheet to a restricted free agent must be at least two seasons, not counting option years, so players could go for what is known as the “2+1” — two years at the greatest allowed salary, with a player option for the third.

The “2+1” also allows a player to choose whether he wants to hit free agency in 2017, when a labor stoppage is expected, or take the security of an additional season and hit the market in a more predictable 2018. And the best of the best also can use the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics for recruiting purposes, like how the 2008 Beijing Games helped for the Heat’s LeBron James-Dwyane Wade-Chris Bosh trio.

Making that kind of carte blanche offer would endear Philadelphia to agents and players all around the league while also showing everyone that they are committed to putting out the best team possible in the long term. Then there is the added benefit of putting rival franchises in the toughest possible spots now and in the future. That sort of open offer also gives agents and players the ability to structure the deal how they like — the Sixers are getting value either way, so the benefit gained from the other side of the negotiating table outweighs what Philly might want in terms of years.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
BoomBap
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#50 » by BoomBap » Thu May 14, 2015 11:12 pm

and i really hope we will.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#51 » by Agnostifarian » Sun May 17, 2015 8:17 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:While I agree, Would you pay 15M a year for a Danny Green type of player?

Yes. I don't mind paying a premium for a guy that I consider a perfect fit. His tier of players is already making that kind of money and will only continue to raise in price tag in the coming years.

Might as well lock a guy like him up now while Embiid and Noel are on their rookie contracts.

100% agree on this. I also advocate "2+1" offers starting with Leonard and Butler to maximize the value to the players as described in the article above. Make it hurt for SAS and CHI. Maybe Leonard & Butler take a chance to sign together and join Embiid, Noel & Russell or Muiday at PG in hopes of a dynasty. Worst case, SAS and CHI retain the players and they come back into play for us while they are still in their primes. Move right on down the line, Green, Middleton,... etc. Hinkie could build some goodwill with the players and reps although some GMs could get ticked off! There's not much downside to proceeding in this fashion. We can put the term "overpay" on the shelf for the summer.
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
Att
Senior
And1: 162

Post#52 » by Att » Sun May 17, 2015 10:03 pm

Agnostifarian wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:

100% agree on this. I also advocate "2+1" offers starting with Leonard and Butler to maximize the value to the players as described in the article above. Make it hurt for SAS and CHI. Maybe Leonard & Butler take a chance to sign together and join Embiid, Noel & Russell or Muiday at PG in hopes of a dynasty. Worst case, SAS and CHI retain the players and they come back into play for us while they are still in their primes. Move right on down the line, Green, Middleton,... etc. Hinkie could build some goodwill with the players and reps although some GMs could get ticked off! There's not much downside to proceeding in this fashion. We can put the term "overpay" on the shelf for the summer.

There's simply no way Butler or Leonard sign here this summer. Why piss off the whole market (who you want to work with later) for no good reason? Are we 4 years old? Hinkie will do what benefits the team. I suspect he might inquire with both of their agents and say he's interested, get a decent no and move on with his plan, which probably doesn't include this years FA at all.
JordanMars
Bench Warmer
And1: 161

Post#53 » by JordanMars » Thu May 21, 2015 12:06 am

I thought i read somewhere we were going after Tobias Harris.
Nerlens Noel = 2014-2015 rookie of the year
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#54 » by 76thBearCub » Thu May 21, 2015 12:24 am

My question is will we sign some decent role players to make things easier on Embiid, Noel, and #3 pick. I really think we should.

We will not get these marquee names, not now. That's not realistic to me.

But can we get a couple more shooters, a decent backup pg, a veteran big who's been around the block a couple times... Im not asking for any miracle workers. Just a few guys who can take some of the pressure off these young guys.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by 76thBearCub » Thu May 21, 2015 12:36 am

Basically we need to quit the D League rotation crap this year in my opinion.

Get these guys some decent reliable veterans. It was fine the last 2 years running basically a college type of program.

Not this year. We will have our main building blocks in place. Now is the time to bring in a few savvy veterans, even if they're not that good.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#56 » by Kobblehead » Thu May 21, 2015 12:37 am

If we go the cheap scrap heap vet route, I'd love to add one or two of these guys:

Jared Dudley
Kyle Singler
Rasual Butler

We need high character guys to help ease the transition. All with the ability to hit treys.
JordanMars
Bench Warmer
And1: 161

Post#57 » by JordanMars » Thu May 21, 2015 12:40 am

Kobblehead wrote:If we go the cheap scrap heap vet route, I'd love to add one or two of these guys:

Jared Dudley
Kyle Singler
Rasual Butler

We need high character guys to help ease the transition. All with the ability to hit treys.

Agree Completely!! Butler would be a great signing and a philly guy too
Nerlens Noel = 2014-2015 rookie of the year
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by 76thBearCub » Thu May 21, 2015 12:44 am

Kobblehead wrote:If we go the cheap scrap heap vet route, I'd love to add one or two of these guys:

Jared Dudley
Kyle Singler
Rasual Butler

Yep just some decent veterans like these guys would help these young guys out a lot in my opinion.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,563

Post#59 » by NYSixersFan » Thu May 21, 2015 3:25 am

I doubt they will sign any significant free agent, but they absolutely should offer the max to Leonard and Butler.

The cap goes way up next year and most teams will have cap space.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,542

Post#60 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu May 21, 2015 3:30 am

Whats the point of not good vets? I hate this idea.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers