ImageImageImage

Daily News writers still clueless

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,494

Re: Daily News writers still clueless 

Post#121 » by GoSixersBro » Mon May 25, 2015 1:35 am

Arsenal wrote:Sam Hinkie is most definitely smarter than the typical meathead NBA GM. Plus he works harder. So it's no surprise that he is on the way to being massively successful.

As for the doubters and naysayers, they will look even stupider than they do now in a few years when "The Plan" comes to fruition.

#TrustTheProcess

Not sure if you understand the definition of meathead.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Chamberlainship
Sixth Man
And1: 213

Post#122 » by Chamberlainship » Tue May 26, 2015 10:15 am

Sixerscan wrote:
Chamberlainship wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:This forum amazes me...I sometimes wonder if it's made up of friends and family of Hinkie.

Tony Bruno calls people who refuse to accept that some criticism of Hinkie is warranted "Hinkie Truthers." Pretty funny.

It's a lot easier to resort to personal attacks and equating people that disagree with you to those that think 9/11 was an inside job rather than actually engaging the actual point of their argument (That this was the best plan of action post Bynum trade, and Hinkie has more information than we do so he deserves the benefit of the doubt). Pretty funny.

BTW, if there's a side here that are "truthers," I'd say it's the group of people that accuse Hinkie of having some sort of end goal long term other than putting the best basketball team on the court, such as stripping the team to move/sell it. It's one thing to call someone incompetent, it's another to accuse him of engaging in some sort of huge conspiracy.

I like that paragraph 1 is condemnation of personal attacks, then paragraph 2 is a personal attack: belt and suspenders approach.
Chamberlainship
Sixth Man
And1: 213

Post#123 » by Chamberlainship » Tue May 26, 2015 10:45 am

GoSixersBro wrote:I wonder if the people I see wearing Andre Iguodala Sixer jerseys around still are the same people who hate Hinkie. It would make sense, right? Yearning for those 40 win seasons and early playoff exits. Oh the memories!

Iguodala was a good player for us. I remember Steve Kerr talking about his value when he was a broadcaster.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#124 » by Unbreakable99 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:14 am

Chamberlainship wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:I wonder if the people I see wearing Andre Iguodala Sixer jerseys around still are the same people who hate Hinkie. It would make sense, right? Yearning for those 40 win seasons and early playoff exits. Oh the memories!

Iguodala was a good player for us. I remember Steve Kerr talking about his value when he was a broadcaster.

Correct. Good but not great. Iguodala wasn't good enough to have another great or very good player want to join him. He was never a good number one option or fen good number two option. His best role would have been the third best option for a contender when he was in his prime.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#125 » by Kobblehead » Tue May 26, 2015 11:17 am

People in this town still don't truly appreciate Iguodala. I found that out in a thread earlier this year. Some things never change.
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#126 » by Unbreakable99 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:27 am

Kobblehead wrote:People in this town still don't truly appreciate Iguodala. I found that out in a thread earlier this year. Some things never change.

He was appreciated for what he provided. He wasn't a superstar and that's a fact. He was more of a jack of all trades. A man of many talents but not a star. He was excellent on defense and a good passer. Those were his best attributes. They are more fitting for a guy who is a third option. There is nothing wrong with him being best suited as a third option on a contender. People look at it like a knock against him. It is what it is.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#127 » by Kobblehead » Tue May 26, 2015 11:31 am

Where he fell on the offensive priority list wasn't the argument. It was whether or not he could be the 2nd best player on a contender. Which he absolutely could have been.
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#128 » by Unbreakable99 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:46 am

Kobblehead wrote:Where he fell on the offensive priority list wasn't the argument. It was whether or not he could be the 2nd best player on a contender. Which he absolutely could have been.

The only player where he could be the second best player on a contender would be a team with LeBron because he makes everyone better and can take average teams to the finals. If Shaq had him as his number 2 instead of Kobe no way the Lakers win a title. If he was Duncan's 2 they don't win a title. If he's Kobe's two they don't win. If he's Wade's two they don't win. Igoudala was a good player. He was just miscast as the number one option on the Sixers.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#129 » by Kobblehead » Tue May 26, 2015 11:49 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Where he fell on the offensive priority list wasn't the argument. It was whether or not he could be the 2nd best player on a contender. Which he absolutely could have been.

The only player where he could be the second best player on a contender would be a team with LeBron because he makes everyone better and can take average teams to the finals. If Shaq had him as his number 2 instead if Kobe no way the Lakers in a title. If he was Duncan's 2 they don't win a title. If he's Kobe's two they don't win. If he's Wade's two they don't win. Igoudala was a good player. He was just miscast as the number one option on the Sixers.

3rd option offensively, 2nd best overall player. We've had this exact discussion before. How do you still not get what I'm saying?
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#130 » by Unbreakable99 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:00 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:

The only player where he could be the second best player on a contender would be a team with LeBron because he makes everyone better and can take average teams to the finals. If Shaq had him as his number 2 instead if Kobe no way the Lakers in a title. If he was Duncan's 2 they don't win a title. If he's Kobe's two they don't win. If he's Wade's two they don't win. Igoudala was a good player. He was just miscast as the number one option on the Sixers.

3rd option offensively, 2nd best overall player. We've had this exact discussion before. How do you still not get what I'm saying?

Ok so we are on the same page then. When I say third best player on the team I was talking about only on the offensive side of the ball. I was saying third best offensive player. Now if you talk about overall and add the defense and other stuff then he might be considered the second best player on the team. But again if he were on a team like the Kobe led Lakers with Gasol and Bynum I don't think Iguodala would be considered the second best player. That still would have been Gasol. If he were on the Mavs that won it all then I don't think he would be considered the second best overall player. I think Kidd still would have been. Usually title contending teams have at least 2 very good scorers and they are known as the best players even when you include the defensive side of the ball. I can't think of any title winning team where if you added Iguodala to the team then he would be considered the second best player. Maybe he could be considered the second best player on a title losing team like those Nets teams that lost or the 2007 Cavs team or the 2001 Sixers.
bedjawII
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#131 » by bedjawII » Tue May 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:
Chamberlainship wrote:

Correct. Good but not great. Iguodala wasn't good enough to have another great or very good player want to join him. He was never a good number one option or fen good number two option. His best role would have been the third best option for a contender when he was in his prime.

Oh how we forget Elton Brand chose to come here for less money. I'm not faulting EB but that was the beginning of the end. Stefanski made some smart moves to clear cap space but spent it on the wrong person. Who knew he would never be the same after his injury. If the EB move works out that team is completely different and who knows where we go from there.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#132 » by Sixerscan » Tue May 26, 2015 1:21 pm

Chamberlainship wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Chamberlainship wrote:
Tony Bruno calls people who refuse to accept that some criticism of Hinkie is warranted "Hinkie Truthers." Pretty funny.

It's a lot easier to resort to personal attacks and equating people that disagree with you to those that think 9/11 was an inside job rather than actually engaging the actual point of their argument (That this was the best plan of action post Bynum trade, and Hinkie has more information than we do so he deserves the benefit of the doubt). Pretty funny.

BTW, if there's a side here that are "truthers," I'd say it's the group of people that accuse Hinkie of having some sort of end goal long term other than putting the best basketball team on the court, such as stripping the team to move/sell it. It's one thing to call someone incompetent, it's another to accuse him of engaging in some sort of huge conspiracy.

I like that paragraph 1 is condemnation of personal attacks, then paragraph 2 is a personal attack: belt and suspenders approach.

Consistent is one thing I've never been accused of being :D

But yeah, give what "truther" actually means, it makes a lot more sense to attribute it to someone that thinks there's some sort of conspiracy going on. So I would say paragraph 2 is more just pointing out that irony. 8-)
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#133 » by Arsenal » Tue May 26, 2015 4:20 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Sam Hinkie is most definitely smarter than the typical meathead NBA GM. Plus he works harder. So it's no surprise that he is on the way to being massively successful.

As for the doubters and naysayers, they will look even stupider than they do now in a few years when "The Plan" comes to fruition.

#TrustTheProcess

Not sure if you understand the definition of meathead.

Of course I do. Most GM's are meatheads in comparison to a guy like Hinkie. That's what happens when you limit the selection basically to ex-players. You're not likely to get a super smart / genius unless you open up the process to non-traditional candidates. Which is exactly what Hinkie is, and one of the reasons he is criticized so much.
PSUEagle
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#134 » by PSUEagle » Tue May 26, 2015 4:41 pm

Arsenal wrote:Of course I do. Most GM's are meatheads in comparison to a guy like Hinkie. That's what happens when you limit the selection basically to ex-players. You're not likely to get a super smart / genius unless you open up the process to non-traditional candidates. Which is exactly what Hinkie is, and one of the reasons he is criticized so much.

That's what I really like about having Hinkie run our favorite basketball team: we have a Stanford MBA who was a brilliant student who could have literally done anything he wanted, while other teams have ex-players like Billy King or Dell Demps running things.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,494

Post#135 » by GoSixersBro » Tue May 26, 2015 10:41 pm

I loved Iguodala. My post was just a bad joke referring to the anti-Hinkie people who criticize his plan and believe the last era of mediocre Sixers basketball was more ideal. Obviously not everyone with an Iguodala jersey thinks that way.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#136 » by James40 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:12 am

GoSixersBro wrote:I loved Iguodala. My post was just a bad joke referring to the anti-Hinkie people who criticize his plan and believe the last era of mediocre Sixers basketball was more ideal. Obviously not everyone with an Iguodala jersey thinks that way.

Everyone's different, I don't believe in worship until the team wins a ring, or at least gets into the finals, then I think Hinkie should get all the accolades he deserves. It can go two ways, Embiid stays healthy for the next 3-4 years and the Sixers become a contender, if he plays 100 games over the next 3 years because of injuries and the Sixers don't get past the 2nd round of the playoffs, then Hinkie's gone and the love affair starts fresh with a new GM.

If Hinkie led an effort to reduce the regular season to 66 games, and it got approved, then he is a genius. I am not a fan of all these injuries in the playoffs, like Eskin said, "if you're scared get a dog", well I got 2 and I'm still a little worried. 82 games plus 7 game playoff series, that's a freakin looooonnggg season.
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#137 » by Unbreakable99 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:31 am

James40 wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:I loved Iguodala. My post was just a bad joke referring to the anti-Hinkie people who criticize his plan and believe the last era of mediocre Sixers basketball was more ideal. Obviously not everyone with an Iguodala jersey thinks that way.

Everyone's different, I don't believe in worship until the team wins a ring, or at least gets into the finals, then I think Hinkie should get all the accolades he deserves. It can go two ways, Embiid stays healthy for the next 3-4 years and the Sixers become a contender, if he plays 100 games over the next 3 years because of injuries and the Sixers don't get past the 2nd round of the playoffs, then Hinkie's gone and the love affair starts fresh with a new GM.

If Hinkie led an effort to reduce the regular season to 66 games, and it got approved, then he is a genius. I am not a fan of all these injuries in the playoffs, like Eskin said, "if you're scared get a dog", well I got 2 and I'm still a little worried. 82 games plus 7 game playoff series, that's a freakin looooonnggg season.

I don't know why if Embiid is injured and the Sixers can't get past the them second round then that means Hinkie will be gone. That's ludicrous. Many GMs keep their job not making it past the second round. And at least Hinkie would have a valid excuse of Embiid being hurt. Let's Jussie what he does before we just assume just because we can't get past the second round in three years means Hinkie will get canned. That's nonsense.
James40
Veteran

Post#138 » by James40 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:40 am

That's 5 total years, I know it's not the NFL but it's not ludicrous, and It's not as much playoff success as its Embiids health determines the future of the Sixers.
Unbreakable99
General Manager

Post#139 » by Unbreakable99 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:52 am

James40 wrote:That's 5 total years, I know it's not football but it's not ludicrous.

So if he doesn't get to a conference final within 5 years then he should be fired? Yes that's ludicrous. Name me all the GMs who get fired within 5 years because they didn't reach the conference finals.
James40
Veteran

Post#140 » by James40 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:59 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:
James40 wrote:That's 5 total years, I know it's not football but it's not ludicrous.

So if he doesn't get to a conference final within 5 years then he should be fired? Yes that's ludicrous. Name me all the GMs who get fired within 5 years because they didn't reach the conference finals.

You're right, I was in the middle of editing. Conference finals is not mediocre, below that is.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers