ImageImageImage

Welcome Okafor

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

ImChillin01
Banned User
And1: 424

Re: Welcome Okafor 

Post#821 » by ImChillin01 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:34 pm

Agnostifarian wrote:That post play is insane. Once he's in good enough shape to play 35 minutes, I could see 22 pts, 9 rbs, 3 ast, 1.0 stl, 1 blk. ROY. 35 wins for 76ers.

In a few years, I'd like to see Jah recruit Winslow and maybe, Jones.

Def won't win 35 games
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,564

Post#822 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:03 pm

ImChillin01 wrote:
Agnostifarian wrote:That post play is insane. Once he's in good enough shape to play 35 minutes, I could see 22 pts, 9 rbs, 3 ast, 1.0 stl, 1 blk. ROY. 35 wins for 76ers.

Def won't win 35 games

Yeah, that feels 10 games above already really optimistic.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#823 » by sixers hoops » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:02 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
ImChillin01 wrote:

Def won't win 35 games

Yeah. I'd take the under on 25.
theOptimist
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#824 » by theOptimist » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:02 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
ImChillin01 wrote:Def won't win 35 games

Yeah. I'd take the under on 25.

I'd be shocked if we're not in the 20s though. I'm thinking 25-28.
theOptimist
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#825 » by theOptimist » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:05 pm

Here's Popovich talking about how important post play is in today's game.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/25/gregg-popovich-discusses-three-point-shot-changing-roles-for-bigs-in-nba/

In case you don't want to click:

“You pay the price if you don’t make threes, and you pay the price if you don’t get those threes off. One way that big guys are gonna still be valuable is if you have a big guy that demands a double-team. If you have a big guy that you don’t have to double-team? You’re in trouble. But if you got a big guy, he better be somebody who is good enough that he commands a double so it can get kicked, and moved, and you can penetrate or pitch for the threes.

[The three-pointer] is so much more valuable than a two-pointer that you can’t ignore it. So, you try to have a balance between penetrating and [jump-shooting]. But when you penetrate you always think about kicking it to that uncontested three-point guy. So, what we’re doin’ now isn’t gonna change a whole lot across the league because of that three-point line.”

Edit: The article is about the 3 pt shot but the part I found interesting was that Pop stated how you still need a big to demand a double team. To be fair he also stated a guard to drive and kick works also.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#826 » by rzzzzz » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:13 pm

unless Sam surprises us with a last second deal, we seem stuck with point guard by committee. while this might play out as the strategy that maintains a top pick in next year's draft, i fear it weakens the development of both our blue ribbon bigs as well as whatever potential improvement we hope Stauskas is yet capable. would love to be proven wrong by a recovered Jackson or a recovered and enlightened Wroten.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,562

Post#827 » by 76ciology » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:41 am

76ciology wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNdz7IAnsZs[/youtube]

Al J, same skillset/reach/athleticism with Jah, averaged around 16ppg in near 50FG% against Clipps and Jazz. (DeAndre and Gobert)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMpFHiXGQ4E[/youtube]
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#828 » by SparksFly87 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:31 pm

76ciology wrote:

Al J, same skillset/reach/athleticism with Jah, averaged around 16ppg in near 50FG% against Clipps and Jazz. (DeAndre and Gobert)

Jah is bigger and quicker than Al Jefferson.
TrustTheProcess
Freshman
And1: 22

Post#829 » by TrustTheProcess » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:18 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Jah is bigger and quicker than Al Jefferson.

Still can't get over the one where he palms it between two defenders and knocks down the little fadeaway jumper at 1:17... Practically unstoppable.
BNelley24
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#830 » by BNelley24 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:07 am

I don't see Jahlil as being quicker than Al. I just think Jah has better touch and I'd say he just moves better, but quicker? Nah. Jah isn't that quick IMO.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#831 » by 76ciology » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:10 am

BNelley24 wrote:I don't see Jahlil as being quicker than Al. I just think Jah has better touch and I'd say he just moves better, but quicker? Nah. Jah isn't that quick IMO.

I'd say same mobility. Athleticism of Jah can be better if he tries to lose weight just like what Al J did. Then defensively, I think Jah has potential to be better because he's got longer arms (7'5 wingspan?).

Jah isn't bad defensively when he's engaged, a good example of this was the Lakers preseason game. I thought he did well moving his feet guarding Clarkson in 2 possessions, then a couple of blocks at Russell (not that difficult doe..).
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach

Post#832 » by SparksFly87 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:36 am

Jah is definitely bigger, quicker and more explosive than Al Jefferson. I see a smoother touch and footwork as well. Debate if you want but I know for sure that Jah is a rich mans Al Jefferson in which is a legit franchise 1st option low post big man you can run your offense exclusively through. I see Jah right up there with Demarcus Cousins really soon.
BoomBap
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#833 » by BoomBap » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:00 pm

Jah is way quicker than Big Al.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#834 » by PhilasFinest » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:30 pm

Comparing a 30 year old, 11 year NBA veteran and a rookie in the Summer League is kinda tough to do.

Considering Okafor's low post game is already so advanced at 19, the fact that we can even attempt this discussion is probably a good sign tho for his future.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach

Post#835 » by SparksFly87 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:02 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:Comparing a 30 year old, 11 year NBA veteran and a rookie in the Summer League is kinda tough to do.

Considering Okafor's low post game is already so advanced at 19, the fact that we can even attempt this discussion is probably a good sign tho for his future.

Al Jefferson is a good player . Let's be real he is a marginal allstar. Okafor has way more upside and is far away a better prospect. Like I said before a rich mans Al Jefferson.
bedjawII
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#836 » by bedjawII » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:40 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:Jah is definitely bigger, quicker and more explosive than Al Jefferson. I see a smoother touch and footwork as well. Debate if you want but I know for sure that Jah is a rich mans Al Jefferson in which is a legit franchise 1st option low post big man you can run your offense exclusively through. I see Jah right up there with Demarcus Cousins really soon.

Yes...where Jah is now compared to AJ prior to his rookie season they are two different players. This is why I prefer Jah over KAT is while KAT is developing the skills that will make him a good offensive player, Jah will be developing his already good offensive skills into being great. I also don't believe Jah is as bad as some think on D. He has all the skills to be a pretty good player on that end. I am looking forward to a fit Jah and what he can do. Admittedly he looked a little doughy in SL.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,756

Post#837 » by Sixersftw » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:33 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:Comparing a 30 year old, 11 year NBA veteran and a rookie in the Summer League is kinda tough to do.

Al Jefferson is a good player . Let's be real he is a marginal allstar. Okafor has way more upside and is far away a better prospect. Like I said before a rich mans Al Jefferson.

Is a rich man's Al Jefferson a poor man's Duncan? If so I'll take 2 please.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
76ciology
RealGM

Post#838 » by 76ciology » Sun Aug 2, 2015 9:47 am

76ciology
RealGM

Post#839 » by 76ciology » Sun Aug 2, 2015 9:54 am

Let me just defend Jahlil a little here. Does he have the quickness and instincts that KAT has shown so far on defense? Of course not. But as a Duke alum let me give you a glimpse into our situation this year. Okafor was our only center and bigman on the roster, PF included, worth a damn. His backup was a 2.2 points per game scorer. His starting PF most of the year put in 6 points a game with zero ability to space. Some of his defensive lapses were due to worse fundamentals and more physical limitations, yes, but a large part is that we absolutely couldn't afford for him to foul out of a game, and as such he didn't contest or try and block shots to the degree he might have otherwise. He was literally double teamed almost the entire game, every game, and had to exert the energy to deal with them on offense, because if he was left in single coverage he almost always scored.

Karl Towns on the other hand, played in the most stacked frontcourt lineup in years. In addition to having **** WCS, the DPOY, protecting the rim, Towns had the luxury of being able to go all out because his rotation included three other good post players in addition to WCS, and only had to play 20 minutes a game. Not to mention he didn't need to carry nearly the scoring burden. I just wish this difference in situations would get more talk by the casual fan who doesn't even watch college ball outside of the tournament. If

A duke fan on Jah vs Towns defense situations in college.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#840 » by 76ciology » Sun Aug 2, 2015 9:57 am

https://okafortheory.wordpress.com/

What I can conclude here is that Jah is not a bad player. But a PnR/drive and dish offense with a defensive center is more efficient/effective (small ball) than a very good low post centered offense with average at best defense center (traditional low post offense).

Return to Philadelphia 76ers