ImageImageImage

If TODAY You're Offered to Trade Embiid for one of Exum, Gordon, Smart, or Randle Would You Do it?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Would you trade Embiid for one of Exum Gordon Smart or Randle?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 173

leorautins
Freshman
And1: 31

Re: If TODAY You're Offered to Trade Embiid for one of Exum, Gordon, Smart, or Randle Would You Do it? 

Post#81 » by leorautins » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:05 am

Westbrook36 wrote:What it really comes down to is would you rather have 50k in your pocket right now guaranteed, no questions asked, or would you rather roll dice, hope you land a specific number out of 6 sides to get a million.

I'll turn down the 50k every single time for a shot at a million, even if the odds aren't in my favor. Go big or go home.

I see it as $400K in my pocket now (Gordon) or rolling a four-sided die to get $1MM (healthy Embiid).

I don't know what I'd do.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Re: If TODAY You're Offered to Trade Embiid for one of Exum, Gordon, Smart, or Randle Would You Do it? 

Post#82 » by James40 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:09 am

Westbrook36 wrote:Embiid right now is not nothing though, even without him being there. As long as the potential for him to come back and play exists, he will never be a "nothing."

You may not count on the guy going forward, but that's a totally different issue.

To me, the chances of Smart, Exum, etc becoming superstars are 0%. I don't know what the chances of Embiid coming back and playing are(neither does anyone else), but I know that it isn't zero.

I hit the report post button, sorry :banghead: I did it accidentally while giving you an and 1. I kicked it out before it went anywhere though. Just cause I may not agree with you all the time doesn't mean I would ever do that especially when you made a great point, or even if you called me an idiot, etc... Whatever.

Anyway, It wouldnt be an easy decision. Giving up on Embiid means giving up on potentially a franchise superstar, forget potentially Embiid has it, I could be as wrong as anyone but I don't see a healthy career long term. If he had played basketball for 8-10 years it would be one thing, his body would of either gotten used to the pounding, or it would of broken down.

In just a few years of playing he had back issues in high school, then in college, and then he fractured his foot. If he had broken a bone in his foot, ok, or herniated a disc in his back, ok. Stress fractures aren't breaks, his bones are fracturing because they haven't held up in a short period of time of playing basketball. Even if the the graft holds up which I believe it will, what about his other foot, if he has high arches, that's greatly increases the pressure on that particular bone, or his back, this is all besides the point because his injury from a year ago hasn't even healed 100%.

Since this is a looooooonnnnnnnggggg term rebuild, there really isn't a reason to trade him, they don't want to be good yet anyway, though I wouldn't count on him to have a long NBA career.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,578

Post#83 » by 76ciology » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:19 am

No.

We don't need all of them. Atleast I have to take my chances on a guy who can be a superstar in Embiid.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#84 » by 76ciology » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:20 am

No.

We don't need all of them. Atleast I have to take my chances on a guy who can be a superstar in Embiid.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixeradelphia
Freshman
And1: 145

Post#85 » by sixeradelphia » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:22 am

The thought of trading Embiid shouldn't happen until he actually plays an NBA game first.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#86 » by 76ciology » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:27 am

How do I say this..

Even without Embiid and the rest of the guys mentioned, I still think that with 2 top 5 picks next year, we'd still be one of the most talented team by 2016-2017. So I really would rather take my chances on Embiid.
PSUEagle
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#87 » by PSUEagle » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:40 am

I'd think long and hard about taking Gordon for him.

For everyone else, I'd rather roll the dice on him getting healthy: there's nothing particularly unique about Exum, Smart, and especially Randle that you can't find in almost every draft.
Vares
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#88 » by Vares » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:09 am

I would trade Embiid but not for any of those guys. I would trade him for someone like Mudiay though
aHealthy3
Rookie
And1: 301

Post#89 » by aHealthy3 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:29 am

leorautins wrote:
Westbrook36 wrote:What it really comes down to is would you rather have 50k in your pocket right now guaranteed, no questions asked, or would you rather roll dice, hope you land a specific number out of 6 sides to get a million.

I'll turn down the 50k every single time for a shot at a million, even if the odds aren't in my favor. Go big or go home.

I see it as $400K in my pocket now (Gordon) or rolling a four-sided die to get $1MM (healthy Embiid).

I don't know what I'd do.

Exactly. and this is why I think you have to at this point. I can't see there being any higher than a 25% chance Embiid has a successful career after this (400k > 250k). Even if he comes back, you have to think he won't be able to hold it together for long. I cut my losses and take one of these guys easily. Smart or Gordon preferably.
Sam Hinkie wrote:The illusion of control is an opiate, though.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#90 » by eagereyez » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:46 am

Two major surgeries later, you gotta admit that the odds of him fulfilling his potential and having a long career are much lower. He only played 28 games at Kansas, in limited minutes. In 2016 he'll be a 22 year old rookie who hasn't played competitive basketball in 2 years, with only 4 years of full 5on5 basketball experience. Odds are low that Embiid will not only live up to his Hakeem-level expectations, but also have a long and healthy career. Okafor and Noel are locked in and ready to go. They are both elite prospects in their own right. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Build around Okafor and Noel. Tank for Simmons.
F-Stop
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#91 » by F-Stop » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:54 am

I voted no.. I thought Embiid would have been off the board and with the 3rd pick Randle.

Embiid's potential as a 7'2 starter level center i believe is still higher that any guy who was available ..

I never believed the Hakeem comparisons anyway. When you speak about guys like that a player should have to earn that and not be given it. I said it before and I'll say it again "Robert Parish"
Make them respond to your way of playing not the other way around
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#92 » by rzzzzz » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:58 pm

James40 wrote:his bones are fracturing because they haven't held up in a short period of time of playing basketball.

actually, the dude played an awful lot of volleyball. as i got older i had to give up the v-ball because of what it was doing to my feet and knees, but continued with the basketball. not that it's a good sign that a young man stress fractured his navicular, regardless.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,939

Post#93 » by Foshan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:13 pm

eagereyez wrote:Embiid hopefuls:

Okafor and Noel are locked in and ready to go. They are both elite prospects in their own right. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Build around Okafor and Noel. Tank for Simmons.

I'm confused. We are totally locked in on Okafor and Noel. They are the two who will start/play all season together. We can build around them for the future with our picks and cap space exactly as we currently are...

That said, we can still keep Embiid in our back pocket and hope he returns healthy. The guy has like zero trade value so while we can have a 'what would you do' scenario thread, its not like any of these deals are remotely on the table.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#94 » by Unbreakable99 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:21 pm

So as of today it's sort of close but most people would not trade Embiid knowing what we already know right now for Exum or Gordon or Randle or Smart. That says a lot about what people think of Embiid's talent and potential ability to get healthy. As much as we hear people now questioning the plan just because Embiid has to have another surgery most still wouldn't trade him for the players listed.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#95 » by eagereyez » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:33 pm

Foshan wrote:
eagereyez wrote:Embiid hopefuls:

Okafor and Noel are locked in and ready to go. They are both elite prospects in their own right. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Build around Okafor and Noel. Tank for Simmons.

I'm confused. We are totally locked in on Okafor and Noel. They are the two who will start/play all season together. We can build around them for the future with our picks and cap space exactly as we currently are...

That said, we can still keep Embiid in our back pocket and hope he returns healthy. The guy has like zero trade value so while we can have a 'what would you do' scenario thread, its not like any of these deals are remotely on the table.

Well the thread is a hypothetical scenario, which is what I responded to. If Hinkie has a good offer available, I think he should consider it. Of course in reality there probably aren't any offers like that out there right now. So yes right now the only thing Hinkie can do is wait until Embiid gets on the court. Then maybe some teams will be interested.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#96 » by hookshot199 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:45 pm

Staying up to watch the Lakers and Knicks rookies play last night, Randle underwhelmed BIG TIME. So did Russell. Eight turnovers. Lacks quickness. Lacks athleticism. Gordon, despite superior athleticism, still can't shoot. And Smart: Can he shoot? I mention this because the prospects of trading a true impact player are so small. Looking back, there will be players worth making a trade for if Embiid never plays. But not too many to take a flyer on a potential tranformational player.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#97 » by stitches » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:28 am

Here's an actual orthopedic doctor talking Embiid's injury and other injuries. Explains why it's hard to recover from this specific injury and why he's pretty pessimistic about his chances to recover fully:

http://1280thezone.com/index.php/story/read/the_big_show_sports_doc_russ_toronto_on_joel_embiid_dante_exum_and_rodney_h

I am no doctor but from every piece of information by people who actually have medical degree, the situation seems quite bleak. If you ever get an offer of that sort your GM has to be crazy to refuse it.
bedjawII
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#98 » by bedjawII » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:55 am

Of course you would and saying you wouldn't is blind optimism. This is not to say drafting Embiid was the wrong decision or that any of the mentioned prospects has more potential then Embiid. But the facts are he has now had two surgeries to attempt to fix a non-contact injury. He has only played Basketball for 7 years and he has been hurt for the last three of them. All with non-contact injuries. His second surgery is very very bad news for him. There is no silver lining in all this. He has medical condition which very well may prevent him from ever playing basketball at a high level.
JordanMars
Bench Warmer
And1: 161

Post#99 » by JordanMars » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:10 am

Cant wait to bump this thread when Embiid is back, healthy and dominating!! Are you guys really serious with this Marcus Smart/Daunte Exum crap!! Exum and Smart ceilings are low
Nerlens Noel = 2014-2015 rookie of the year
ET Da Gawd
Sixth Man
And1: 367

Post#100 » by ET Da Gawd » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:02 pm

Lmaoo no way

Return to Philadelphia 76ers