ImageImageImage

Embiid return

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Re: Embiid return 

Post#1161 » by Ericb5 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:45 pm

Sixerscan wrote:I counted 15 back to backs.

Think we would all be pretty ecstatic with 67 games played.

Sure would. I just want him to end the year playing better, and more than he was in the beginning of the year. Maybe they could try playing him lighter minutes, but let him play in a few back to backs later in the year?

I don't know. I trust them to make the right decisions medically.
Sandalf42
Pro Prospect
And1: 12

Post#1162 » by Sandalf42 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:59 pm

Honest question for people: Does anyone expect Embiid to ever average more than 25 mpg in a season at any point in his career?

Because of the repeated stress fractures, I think we should be planning for a future where even if Embiid meets his expectations, he's playin 25 mpg tops. I don't ever see him logging heavy consistent minutes.

And if that's the case, then there might be room long term for okafor to stay, if he can continue to develop his ability to guard 4s (for stretches).
Micheal:.... I mean, you wouldn't arrest a guy who just deals drugs from one person to another.
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#1163 » by wickedwrister » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:38 pm

Sandalf42 wrote:Honest question for people: Does anyone expect Embiid to ever average more than 25 mpg in a season at any point in his career?

Because of the repeated stress fractures, I think we should be planning for a future where even if Embiid meets his expectations, he's playin 25 mpg tops. I don't ever see him logging heavy consistent minutes.

And if that's the case, then there might be room long term for okafor to stay, if he can continue to develop his ability to guard 4s (for stretches).

I think 30+ minutes is certainly doable but they should avoid getting past the low 30s. As a reminder Tim Duncan played 34 minutes per game for his career. Keeping a big man in the low 30s for minutes is probably the smartest long term play anyway.

That being said, lets say ~30 mpg for Embiid going forward, Saric/Simmons split almost all the minutes at the PF spot. That basically leaves ~18-20 mpg for Noel/Okafor and that doesn't even mention Holmes or any other big that could float in an out for a few mpg. There really isn't room for all 3 of Embiid/Noel/Okafor and keeping one just because is probably just going to hurt their long term value.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#1164 » by Ericb5 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:58 pm

Sandalf42 wrote:Honest question for people: Does anyone expect Embiid to ever average more than 25 mpg in a season at any point in his career?

I think that it is an unknowable thing at this point. I believe that this year he will average under 20 minutes a night, but in year two, if everything physically is in good shape, that he should be able to bump up to 28-32 from a physical standpoint at least. I think his minutes will be limited somewhat by foul trouble early on anyway.

He will be tightly monitored for any stress reactions no matter what, so the results of that will dictate the right number of minutes for him long term.

I'm personally very optimistic at this point, and believe that, if he gets through this year, that he has a great chance of having a normal career. The ideal number of minutes for him will probably never get higher than 33-35 anyway.
NYCLaker
Junior
And1: 23

Post#1165 » by NYCLaker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:29 am

Is Embiid really ready for preseason or is it to sell tickets?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,550

Post#1166 » by 76ciology » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:16 am

Ericb5 wrote:

I think that it is an unknowable thing at this point. I believe that this year he will average under 20 minutes a night, but in year two, if everything physically is in good shape, that he should be able to bump up to 28-32 from a physical standpoint at least. I think his minutes will be limited somewhat by foul trouble early on anyway.

He will be tightly monitored for any stress reactions no matter what, so the results of that will dictate the right number of minutes for him long term.

I'm personally very optimistic at this point, and believe that, if he gets through this year, that he has a great chance of having a normal career. The ideal number of minutes for him will probably never get higher than 33-35 anyway.

When the FO or whoever were saying how Jah was drafted as Embiid insurance, I think it pertains more to Embiid playing limited minutes than him having an early retirement like Brandon Roy. And if you look around the league, there are a number of good bigs who plays around 25mpg, such a TD, Bogut, Mahinmi, steven adams, Tristan and Jonas.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
APettyJ
Junior
And1: 221

Play Simmons at SF 

Post#1167 » by APettyJ » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:13 am

Saric can get some of his minutes, a minute portion, at SF as well. Okafor gets lion's share at PF, and Simmons can get a small share there as well. Noel and Embiid hold down center, with Okafor getting a minute share there.

When one or more of the bigs are resting, can reshuffle to get Grant out there at PF, or shift Simmons to PF to get Grant in at SF. Something similar could be done for Thompson in backup role.

Holmes has less than three years NBA experience; he can grow his game and mentor pups in the D league.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#1168 » by Ericb5 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:26 am

Having stood next to Embiid and Simmons today I can say for sure that Embiid is at least 4 inches taller than Simmons.

Maybe even more. He is huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#1169 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Sep 2, 2016 10:11 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#1170 » by Unbreakable99 » Fri Sep 2, 2016 6:03 pm

I can look at Embiid videos all day.
ET Da Gawd
Sixth Man
And1: 367

Post#1171 » by ET Da Gawd » Fri Sep 2, 2016 7:15 pm

I wanna see who's footwork is better btw Jah & Embiid...wish I could be a fly on the wall in training camp
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#1172 » by Ericb5 » Sat Sep 3, 2016 4:23 pm

ET Da Gawd wrote:I wanna see who's footwork is better btw Jah & Embiid...wish I could be a fly on the wall in training camp

I wonder how much Embiid and Okafor have competed against each other one on one. Just as Embiid was getting up to speed, Okafor had his own injury.

They are both healthy now, but I'm not sure how much they have trained together in the last few months.

ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Re: RE: Re: Embiid return 

Post#1173 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Sep 3, 2016 4:41 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
ET Da Gawd wrote:I wanna see who's footwork is better btw Jah & Embiid...wish I could be a fly on the wall in training camp

I wonder how much Embiid and Okafor have competed against each other one on one. Just as Embiid was getting up to speed, Okafor had his own injury.

They are both healthy now, but I'm not sure how much they have trained together in the last few months.

I'm hoping that they've dueled at least a few times. Okafor is a tough cover and it'd be good for Joel to get some defensive work in. Same can be said for Okafor guarding Embiid.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#1174 » by Ericb5 » Sat Sep 3, 2016 4:56 pm

I think that they both are unguardable one on one, but trying to guard the other one will make them both better.

GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,493

Post#1175 » by GoSixersBro » Sat Sep 3, 2016 7:45 pm

Dude gives zero **** and I love it.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#1176 » by eagereyez » Sun Sep 4, 2016 8:39 pm

He's gonna dominate once he gets into the swing of things.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,444

Post#1177 » by Eyeamok » Sun Sep 4, 2016 9:26 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

I'm hoping that they've dueled at least a few times. Okafor is a tough cover and it'd be good for Joel to get some defensive work in. Same can be said for Okafor guarding Embiid.

If your main training partner is a beast offensively over time would that not make you a better defensive player?

If Jah has to face Embiid day in and day out in practice and Embiid is bringing it. Would that not force Jah to become better just because he is facing better competition? The same thing for Noel playing against a health Embiid and a healthy Jah, would force him to improve his offensive game over time. Right. And if you have coaches right there on the spot to tell you what you are doing wrong, improvement should follow. I mean it may not happen overnight but you would expect to see improvement, right?

Perhaps this is why a trade for Noel or Jah has not gone down yet. Perhaps the 76ers might ust be waiting to see whih one if any of their bigs can make the other one better.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Att
Senior
And1: 162

Post#1178 » by Att » Mon Sep 5, 2016 1:53 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

If your main training partner is a beast offensively over time would that not make you a better defensive player?

If Jah has to face Embiid day in and day out in practice and Embiid is bringing it. Would that not force Jah to become better just because he is facing better competition? The same thing for Noel playing against a health Embiid and a healthy Jah, would force him to improve his offensive game over time. Right. And if you have coaches right there on the spot to tell you what you are doing wrong, improvement should follow. I mean it may not happen overnight but you would expect to see improvement, right?

Perhaps this is why a trade for Noel or Jah has not gone down yet. Perhaps the 76ers might ust be waiting to see whih one if any of their bigs can make the other one better.

No, that's the reason :roll:

Also, it counts for something but I think fans tend to overblown how much young players tend to make each other better.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,444

Post#1179 » by Eyeamok » Tue Sep 6, 2016 5:45 pm

Att wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:I'm hoping that they've dueled at least a few times. Okafor is a tough cover and it'd be good for Joel to get some defensive work in. Same can be said for Okafor guarding Embiid.

No, that's the reason :roll:

Also, it counts for something but I think fans tend to overblown how much young players tend to make each other better.

Maybe I missed something but I did not understand what you meant by "No, that the reason?"

Also as far as over blowing the impact of Jah and Embiid working out together. They are not just playing against each other they are doing it in the company of performance coaches and video cameras. Analysis of different situations and the breaking down of video is going on. It's not just a friendly game where you play against each other and that is it. At least I'd like to believe that.

There was probably no one last season in practice that could make Jah work on the defensive end. My hope if this year he will have to work on practice and he will see how things are supposed to be done, by someone better than him on the same team.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#1180 » by Ericb5 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 6:50 pm

I think that it is pretty self explanatory why big men guarding each other would make them better. I would guess that neither Embiid, nor Okafor have ever worked extensively guarding a player as good as the other one.

I mean Okafor played in NBA games against great big men, but as he ever worked out extensively with a player as difficult to deal with as Embiid? Has Embiid ever had to guard someone as gifted offensively as Okafor? If Okafor and Embiid spend an hour a day doing nothing other than competing against each other it would HAVE to make them both better.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers