ImageImageImage

Nerlens Noel's development in second season

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Re: Nerlens Noel's development in second season 

Post#21 » by roma258 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:04 am

I think he's going to be a 20 PER player this season. Absolute stud.
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#22 » by Stanford » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:48 am

Prediction: Nerlens will average 3+ assists this season.
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,263

Post#23 » by bball4life » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:43 pm

He's going to be the second player ever to average 2 steals and 2 blocks a game. He's got an outside shot at 3 and 3 which is just ridiculous.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#24 » by Stanford » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:08 pm

bball4life wrote:He's going to be the second player ever to average 2 steals and 2 blocks a game.

Robinson, Hakeem and Gerald Wallace have done it.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#25 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:38 pm

Hopefully when Marshall/Wroten/Stauskas are back, they will somewhat relieve him from all of the time he had on the ball and put him in better positions to finish. He shouldn't be trying to create like that for himself yet. More importantly we get even better guards by next year to do that.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Nerlens Noel's development in second season 

Post#26 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:02 pm

Stanford wrote:
bball4life wrote:He's going to be the second player ever to average 2 steals and 2 blocks a game.

Robinson, Hakeem and Gerald Wallace have done it.

Yeah, Olajuwon is the only player to average 2.5 steals and 2.5 blocks per game.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
MatthewGeigerII
Bench Warmer
And1: 219

Post#27 » by MatthewGeigerII » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:39 pm

Something doesn't seem right with Nerls the last few games (since the whole - not starting you/starting you incident)

you guys think it's the wrist/knees or coming off the bench for oak? or a little of both?

nerlens always talks like a team player IMO, but he just looks... sad?
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#28 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:25 pm

Its like he refuses to leave his feet to challenge shots this season, and when he does, his timing has been way off. He's been maintaining a straight hands up defensive position when defending down low. He's acting like he's Spencer Hawes and doesn't have the athleticism to get up there and erase shots.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Re: RE: Re: Nerlens Noel's development in second season 

Post#29 » by Sportfan73 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:39 pm

MatthewGeigerII wrote:Something doesn't seem right with Nerls the last few games (since the whole - not starting you/starting you incident)

you guys think it's the wrist/knees or coming off the bench for oak? or a little of both?

I think we should rest rim a couple of games there's no way he's fully healthy.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#30 » by agiaco » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:47 pm

MatthewGeigerII wrote:Something doesn't seem right with Nerls the last few games (since the whole - not starting you/starting you incident)

can we blame him?
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,444

Post#31 » by Eyeamok » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:39 pm

I'm a big fan of the guy. But last night against the wolves he looked lost out there. Kevin Garnett totally abused him.
Even if he was not on the 76ers is he a starting NBA center with his frame?
He still has problems handling bounce passes and his shot still needs work.
Long term I hope he gets it together but the guy is struggling right now.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
broseph13
Senior
And1: 170

Post#32 » by broseph13 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:59 am

Noel is really just a hustle/energy guy. Not sure why people are on here talking about building around him...you don't build around energy guys like Noel, Kenneth Faried, Anderson Varajo, etc.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,552

Post#33 » by 76ciology » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:13 am

Alot of things come in play. Major issues are adjusting because he's playing out of natural position and low morale because of poor play. I honestly don't think it's some physical issue like injury altho I'm not saying it's impossible.

How was he able to play well in the second half last year? More rhythm to his offense by playing around the rim with Ish and more volume to protect the rim. He's calling card is shotblocking and he's having trouble getting those by defending stretch 4s, while you also have him playing with Jerami and Jah.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#34 » by Agnostifarian » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:51 pm

Nerlens will be fine. He's adjusting to his new teammates. He's putting on some muscle and he's playing with an attitude. Be Patient.
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,510

Post#35 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:33 pm

^Agree, he'll be fine. We saw this last year when Brown had Henry Sims starting and moved Noel to power forward. Either way he was going to (at some point) have to play that position because if not Okafor it would have been Embiid at the five. In fact, looking at Noel I don't see how he is a center unless it's on a small ball team with a Draymond Green next to him. Noel is gonna have to figure it out and I think he will. There are those that would rather keep him over Okafor because of his defense, yet it's Okafor leading us in blocked shot, and it's Okafor guarding the Al Jefferson's of the NBA. Noel is a superb defensive talent in the mold of Serge Ibaka, Joakim Noah, Anderson V. He's in theory a great fit next to Okafor, but he'll have to improve his shooting, which I think he can.
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#36 » by cksdayoff » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:31 pm

He's playing out of position. Nothing you can do about it for now, just gotta hope he can adjust.
#failforfultz
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#37 » by Ericb5 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:48 pm

cksdayoff wrote:He's playing out of position. Nothing you can do about it for now, just gotta hope he can adjust.

Agreed.

He IS a natural center, that has all the athleticism that he needs to play the 4. His long term future with the Sixers will be as a 4, and he sees himself as a 4 long term as well. He just has a lot to learn. I am a firm believer that point guards are born and not made, but every other position can be taught, assuming that the player has the core tools for the skills.

He works really hard on his game, plays with a motor, and has improved a lot already. I think he will be fine too, but his progression will probably come in fits and starts. As long as he keeps his head up, keeps working hard, and listens to his coaches, I think that he will figure it out.

However, he ISN'T someone that you build a team around. Okafor can be that person, and Embiid is ever MORE that person.
timLH
Junior
And1: 84

Post#38 » by timLH » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:40 pm

I've known Noel cant score since day 1, but his defense regressed soooo much, he looks totally lost on the court . Right now he should be benched. Hope he can finally overcome it and learn to play the 4 effectively.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#39 » by Kobblehead » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:14 pm

For the love of God, drop his usage rate. He was a borderline inept offensive player to begin with.
OleSchool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,344

Post#40 » by OleSchool » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:18 pm

He was playing really good ball till he got kicked outta the game (I forget the game). I think he's hurt
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

NYSixersFan wrote:How can I give you specifics? I'm not talking to other GM's

Return to Philadelphia 76ers