Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,073

Re: Where is Nerlens? 

Post#261 » by Sixerscan » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:00 pm

Easymoney wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
I'm not going to say Okafor was good on defense last year because he wasn't but some of you guys act like he didn't do anything passable/well at all and that just simply isn't true.

For example when someone says centers need to be able to defend the rim and rebound like LB and a bunch of posters here do as some sort of argument for Noel versus Okafor they are lying. You may see things one way, I may see things another but the fact that Okafor opponents shot worse in the key isn't debatable it's fact. Or the fact that the team rebounded better on the floor with Okafor then with Noel.

That doesn't mean that Okafor doesn't need to get better in those areas. What it means is Noel supporters are basically making crap up thinking somehow putting Okafor down is going to save Noel. It's not.

I also think it's sort of telling that everytime I bring up the fact his Noels numbers declined defensively last season and that he rebounded poorly they bring up the fact he had to transition to PF. However, these same people never make any such allowance with Okafor who also had to transition to PF -- as a 19 year old rookie. While at the same time learning defensive fundamentals and being challenged in a way he wasn't at Duke.

I'm just not sure what some of you guys expect from the kid. You talk about cherry picked stats well why don't we talk about some of the individual performances he put up against some of the NBA top centers. November 11, Val 11 points on 8 shots. Nov 9, Gasol 16 points on 17 shots. Nov 23, Towns 6 points on 7 shots. Dec 10, Lopez (B.) 7 points on 3 shots. Jan 4, Towns 8 points on 8 shots. I mean the list goes on and on.

For me that is what is most encouraging. He's shown he can defend in spurts what needed is for the CS to get it out of him consistently. A big part of that is improving his conditioning which apparently Okafor recognizes. We will see but I for one am not going to give up on him after one season.

You are so missing the boat if you think this is about supporting Noel versus trying to reel in the Okafor fanatics. I've been on record as saying I don't care which they trade they are both fine prospects.

The only reason I would really prefer to trade Okafor is because I'm sick of every thread turning into some dumb debate about Okafor. Which you are involved with in two different threads right now btw. Funny how that happens. I'm sure it's all Noel's fault.

This is identical to what happened with Turner and Dalembert, calling everyone that disagreed with them "Jodie Meeks fans" or idk "Kenny Thomas funny how some of the same people are involved...

Hold up...so you really want us to trade Okafor based on what a few strangers are saying on an internet message board? That is really bizarre....

Notice that you place 100% of the blame on Okafor fans while conveniently ignoring that Okafor haters derail positive threads as well.

Obviously that wasn't literal... this is what I'm talking about lol. Can't let any perceived slight go unnoticed can you?

I place the blame on people that turn every thread into being about Okafor. And not letting any comment about Okafor slip by without a long rant about him. It's annoying no matter what side the person comes out on. It's pretty obvious though that it's the same people that are consistently doing it though and they overwhelmingly happen to be some of the same people that are prokafor.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,073

Post#262 » by Sixerscan » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:28 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:The weird part is I don't derail threads at all. I follow the conversation. If he is really interested he is more then welcome to take a look at my posts.

I don't know when the topic turned to discussing Okafor but it was well before I entered.

Unless you have not made a post in the last month or so, it would appear that our notorious search function is again not working properly.

Regardless, I will take you at your word, and instead kindly request that you (as well as everyone) not fan the flames of any fires that have already been started, and remember that no one on this board (at least I assume) really cares about "being a fan of" or "hating on" a player more than they care about the Sixers as a whole succeeding, so thinking about it in terms of it being a "war" of two camps is probably not productive or enjoyable.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,735

Post#263 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:36 pm

Sixerscan wrote:So where is Nerlens?

Visiting HartfordWhalers in Boston.
Easymoney
Junior
And1: 171

Post#264 » by Easymoney » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:22 am

Sixerscan wrote:
Easymoney wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
You are so missing the boat if you think this is about supporting Noel versus trying to reel in the Okafor fanatics. I've been on record as saying I don't care which they trade they are both fine prospects.

The only reason I would really prefer to trade Okafor is because I'm sick of every thread turning into some dumb debate about Okafor. Which you are involved with in two different threads right now btw. Funny how that happens. I'm sure it's all Noel's fault.

This is identical to what happened with Turner and Dalembert, calling everyone that disagreed with them "Jodie Meeks fans" or idk "Kenny Thomas funny how some of the same people are involved...

Hold up...so you really want us to trade Okafor based on what a few strangers are saying on an internet message board? That is really bizarre....

Notice that you place 100% of the blame on Okafor fans while conveniently ignoring that Okafor haters derail positive threads as well.

Obviously that wasn't literal... this is what I'm talking about lol. Can't let any perceived slight go unnoticed can you?

I place the blame on people that turn every thread into being about Okafor. And not letting any comment about Okafor slip by without a long rant about him. It's annoying no matter what side the person comes out on. It's pretty obvious though that it's the same people that are consistently doing it though and they overwhelmingly happen to be some of the same people that are prokafor.

LOL did you use green font for that statement? I must be missing something here because it seems like you are backtracking and trying to save face while doing so.

Peace out.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#265 » by Ericb5 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:34 am

Sixerscan wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Holy crap this isn't the general board get your random cherrypicked stats out of here. It's like evan turner or dalembert all over again. I watched almost every game this guy played last year he was a freaking embarrassment on that end. And at Duke he was regularly taken out at the end of games because of his defense. I've seen middle schoolers with a better idea of what is going on on defense.

I'm not going to say Okafor was good on defense last year because he wasn't but some of you guys act like he didn't do anything passable/well at all and that just simply isn't true.

For example when someone says centers need to be able to defend the rim and rebound like LB and a bunch of posters here do as some sort of argument for Noel versus Okafor they are lying. You may see things one way, I may see things another but the fact that Okafor opponents shot worse in the key isn't debatable it's fact. Or the fact that the team rebounded better on the floor with Okafor then with Noel.

That doesn't mean that Okafor doesn't need to get better in those areas. What it means is Noel supporters are basically making crap up thinking somehow putting Okafor down is going to save Noel. It's not.

I also think it's sort of telling that everytime I bring up the fact his Noels numbers declined defensively last season and that he rebounded poorly they bring up the fact he had to transition to PF. However, these same people never make any such allowance with Okafor who also had to transition to PF -- as a 19 year old rookie. While at the same time learning defensive fundamentals and being challenged in a way he wasn't at Duke.

I'm just not sure what some of you guys expect from the kid. You talk about cherry picked stats well why don't we talk about some of the individual performances he put up against some of the NBA top centers. November 11, Val 11 points on 8 shots. Nov 9, Gasol 16 points on 17 shots. Nov 23, Towns 6 points on 7 shots. Dec 10, Lopez (B.) 7 points on 3 shots. Jan 4, Towns 8 points on 8 shots. I mean the list goes on and on.

For me that is what is most encouraging. He's shown he can defend in spurts what needed is for the CS to get it out of him consistently. A big part of that is improving his conditioning which apparently Okafor recognizes. We will see but I for one am not going to give up on him after one season.

This is identical to what happened with Turner and Dalembert, calling everyone that disagreed with them "Jodie Meeks fans" or idk "Kenny Thomas" fans. Funny how some of the same people are involved...

If Noel was traded he would release pressure on the log jam, but if Okafor was traded he would, by himself, SOLVE the logjam.

That is a compelling argument for Okafor being the one to be traded. However, I still don't want to do it simply because I believe in his talent more than Noel's, and we have more time to figure it out with him.

Probably the BEST thing for the Sixers would be to trade Okafor for full value, but since that doesn't seem to be possible right now, I would much rather trade Noel at a discount(if forced to trade one of them), and take my chances trying to make it work with Okafor.

Embiid and Simmons are both 2 notches above Okafor and Noel in terms of talent and importance to the team, so I'm willing to trade either of them, but I'm less willing to take lesser value back on Okafor just to solve the logjam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#266 » by Ericb5 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:39 am

Sixerscan wrote:
Easymoney wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

I'm guilty of being one of those people, but in our collective defense, the Okafor/Noel topic is the only thing really being debated in Sixer land right now.

We are all excited and holding our breathe on Embiid so there isn't much to talk about with him. We are all excited and have high hopes for Simmlns, but again there isn't much to talk about with him right now. Same thing with Saric.

The Okafor/Noel debate is where all the energy is right now. Annoying or not, we are all just passionate Sixer fans passing the time waiting for the season to start.

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,013

Post#267 » by Negrodamus » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:40 am

Yikes... Next season needs to hurry up. This conversation is a nightmare.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#268 » by Unbreakable99 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:51 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Yikes... Next season needs to hurry up. This conversation is a nightmare.

Nightmare? Just wait until the season when Okafor plays more minutes than Noel or vice versa and people saying the other needs to play more lol. And all it takes if for either Okafor or Noel to play 15 minutes one night or on the bench in the final 6 minutes and they interview the one who rode the bench to end the game and they finally had enough and go on a rant. That will be when the nightmare reaches epic proportions. :lol:
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,013

Post#269 » by Negrodamus » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Yikes... Next season needs to hurry up. This conversation is a nightmare.

Nightmare? Just wait until the season when Okafor plays more minutes than Noel or vice versa and people saying the other needs to play more lol. And all it takes if for either Okafor or Noel to play 15 minutes one night or on the bench in the final 6 minutes and they interview the one who rode the bench to end the game and they finally had enough and go on a rant. That will be when the nightmare reaches epic proportions. :lol:

At least it will be based on recent events. This is the same conversation that evolves into a theoretical hypothesis for both based on advanced stats or, on the other hand, only the eye test based on highlight videos. The truth might lie somewhere in the middle of this spectrum, but everyone is so pro/anti Noel/Okafor that the conversation perpetually gets derailed.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,702

Post#270 » by rzzzzz » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:51 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:

Nightmare? Just wait until the season when Okafor plays more minutes than Noel or vice versa and people saying the other needs to play more lol.

of course, the confounding variable is if the team starts showcasing one for the express purpose of effecting his trade.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#271 » by LloydFree » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:28 pm

The 76ers are still below the CAP floor. Hopefully they are stringing this thing (not extending Noel/keeping all 3 Centers) along in hopes of finding another Stauskas-like, salary dump/robbery. If they get to the pre-season and no salary cap deal has been done, they should spend the space on their own players. I think they should go ahead and give Noel his 4 year 80 million dollar extension, to be the Embiid insurance and trade the other guy for whatever they can get of value. With the salary cap going up again next year, that salary will be moveable in the future, if necessary.

I'd also seriously consider extending Covington before he necessary, due to seeing what guys like Alan Crabbe received as a restricted free-agent.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,649

Post#272 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:06 pm

LloydFree wrote:The 76ers are still below the CAP floor. Hopefully they are stringing this thing (not extending Noel/keeping all 3 Centers) along in hopes of finding another Stauskas-like, salary dump/robbery. If they get to the pre-season and no salary cap deal has been done, they should spend the space on their own players. I think they should go ahead and give Noel his 4 year 80 million dollar extension, to be the Embiid insurance and trade the other guy for whatever they can get of value. With the salary cap going up again next year, that salary will be moveable in the future, if necessary.

I'd also seriously consider extending Covington before he necessary, due to seeing what guys like Alan Crabbe received as a restricted free-agent.

The Kings deal last year was at the start of July as that was when free agents were available. There isn't a big reason for teams to salary dump now, they are pretty close to out of options on guys to spend it on.

So, a preseason deal of cap dump doesn't seem likely at all. At least not one of significance (there is always teams dumping Shabazz Napier's of the world, but thats done with a small amount of cash or a single 2nd).

As for spending the money below the cap, extensions don't spend it. If Noel gets a big extension now, it doesn't come into play until 17-18 season. Covington cannot get an extension until November 15, 2017, which obviously wouldn't effect this year's cap.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#273 » by Ericb5 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:32 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
LloydFree wrote:The 76ers are still below the CAP floor. Hopefully they are stringing this thing (not extending Noel/keeping all 3 Centers) along in hopes of finding another Stauskas-like, salary dump/robbery. If they get to the pre-season and no salary cap deal has been done, they should spend the space on their own players. I think they should go ahead and give Noel his 4 year 80 million dollar extension, to be the Embiid insurance and trade the other guy for whatever they can get of value. With the salary cap going up again next year, that salary will be moveable in the future, if necessary.

The Kings deal last year was at the start of July as that was when free agents were available. There isn't a big reason for teams to salary dump now, they are pretty close to out of options on guys to spend it on.

So, a preseason deal of cap dump doesn't seem likely at all. At least not one of significance (there is always teams dumping Shabazz Napier's of the world, but thats done with a small amount of cash or a single 2nd).

As for spending the money below the cap, extensions don't spend it. If Noel gets a big extension now, it doesn't come into play until 17-18 season. Covington cannot get an extension until November 15, 2017, which obviously wouldn't effect this year's cap.

Those salary dump deals were Hinkie's brain children though. We don't know if BC feels the same way, or could even pull them off.

Ultimately, I'm sticking to the idea that one of Okafor or Noel will be traded before the season starts.

spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 6,008

Post#274 » by spikeslovechild » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:18 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:

Agreed the main impetus for dumping salary at the deadline is the luxury tax with the cap exploding that sort of removes the incentive for GM's to seek out teams with cap space to dump contracts. I'm not saying there won't be deals but I don't think we'll see any first round picks change hands.

In fact, if you sort of take a gander at the landscape of where teams are at right now and try to figure out where you could make one of these type of deals there is really only one team that stands out. Cleveland. They want to resign JR but will be over the the tax. They let Delly walk earlier on so you have to figure they are close to their limit.

The problem lies they don't have any big expirings. Really the only player you figure they want to move is Iman but I want no part of that deal.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,702

Post#275 » by rzzzzz » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:35 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
In fact, if you sort of take a gander at the landscape of where teams are at right now and try to figure out where you could make one of these type of deals there is really only one team that stands out. Cleveland.

some Noel-Love rumblings on the rumor webs the past couple of days. i figured a large part of the Kevin Love disappointment in Cleveland came from injury, and he did have his moments in last year's championships run. but he hasn't always meshed well with the Cavs, and Noel would really be an ideal addition as they defend the title.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 6,008

Post#276 » by spikeslovechild » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:51 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
In fact, if you sort of take a gander at the landscape of where teams are at right now and try to figure out where you could make one of these type of deals there is really only one team that stands out. Cleveland.

some Noel-Love rumblings on the rumor webs the past couple of days. i figured a large part of the Kevin Love disappointment in Cleveland came from injury, and he did have his moments in last year's championships run. but he hasn't always meshed well with the Cavs, and Noel would really be an ideal addition as they defend the title.

Yeah, I wonder if Love would be interested in returning to the wolves. I could see a fit there. Minn desperately needs outside shooting and has no depth at PF.

They have a player we know BC really likes in Kris Dunn. Something along the lines of:

MIn in: Kevin Love
Min out: Pekovic, Kris Dunn

Philly out: Landry, Noel
Philly in: Kris Dunn, Pekovic

Cle out: Kevin Love
Cle in: Noel, Landry

I mean it could work. It would also give them the space to resign JR.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,940

Post#277 » by Mik317 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:55 am

not aplicable to anything

but I just had a game in 2k in which both Embiid and Jah put up numbers but I had to bench one because Simmons had to play the 4 down the stretch. The entire time I was thinking "if this happens in real life, this board would be a fun place to read"...lol.

we won but imagine if we didn't (i made some dumbass lineup choices down the stretch...I went with Embiid due to defense but he started to miss easy shots due to 2k hax...Jah kept us in it and got us the lead so I felt bad about benching him really)..

The takes would be lava.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Johnstarks
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#278 » by Johnstarks » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:22 am

Noel dosent make any sense in cleveland they can't pair him with thompson.

They kinda do need to trade love though, he can't guard durant.. I guess they plan on Hiding love on iggy and just letting iggy take open 3s. Not ideal but it's hard to build a team that can guard gsw without sacrificing a lot on offense
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,755

Post#279 » by 76ciology » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:51 am

I don't see Cavs trading Love. His impact has been underrated on both ends. He's their 2nd best two way impact player on court. Not to mention, LBJ needs to play like a PF like him. Cavs don't need a rim protector, they have LBJ while their bigs are mobile enough to switch on D and punish smallers teams on the boards.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,755

Post#280 » by 76ciology » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:36 am

Mik317 wrote:not aplicable to anything

but I just had a game in 2k in which both Embiid and Jah put up numbers but I had to bench one because Simmons had to play the 4 down the stretch. The entire time I was thinking "if this happens in real life, this board would be a fun place to read"...lol.

we won but imagine if we didn't (i made some dumbass lineup choices down the stretch...I went with Embiid due to defense but he started to miss easy shots due to 2k hax...Jah kept us in it and got us the lead so I felt bad about benching him really)..

The takes would be lava.

For me it applies.

Look at the Spurs best line-ups and they had like 4 bigs in the rotation (LMA, TD, West and Diaw). People need to look past on who's starting and finishing the game because realistically the game is dynamic nowadays that you need a variety of bigs to counter opponents and depth for energy/fatigue issues. Having talented bigs allow you to compensate alot of talent mismatch on the perimeter. OKC also had a lot of success with the Adams-Ibaka-Kanter frontcourt.

My concept revolves around Noel/Biid starting because the game usually starts slow and defensive. Then have Jah play with Jerami Grant and bunch of two way players, should be quite a sight if they get stops and Jah scores 3-4 consecutive baskets. Finally, have Saric,Simmons, Jah or Noel to play with Biid to finish off games depending on match-ups.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers