ImageImageImage

Can we lay off Noel vs Okafor 4 a while?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Can we lay off Noel vs Okafor 4 a while? 

Post#1 » by rzzzzz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:05 pm

remember when all the reporters were being told by "league sources" that Saric was going to break his word and not come this year? with that in mind, why are we reacting to all the click bait about Nerlens and Jahlil? in Dario's case, i don't think it mattered so much, but i'm not sure how much of an effect this might be having on the 2 centers. Jah responded to one piece with a couple of really deft tweets that put the issue to rest. for about 4 days or so. Nerlens has maintained a Steve Carlton like silence. i hope both of them are taking this in stride, 'cause either or both of them being bugged by it don't do them or the team any good.

so yeah, we'll keep reading posts from fans from other teams about our "logjam" and how that forces us to trade one of these guys for their scrubs, especially in the "modern era" where centers ain't "worth what they use to be". right. and we'll have to put up with local reporters who keep raising the issue 'cause so far it's been an easy way to get a reaction. but has there been anything of substance that's come out in like months? we know the deal. we got 3 great YOUNG centers. there's really no need to trash any of them in order to support a favorite. that will take care of itself on the court. as part of a team that now really deserves our support.
MatthewGeigerII
Bench Warmer
And1: 219

Re: Can we lay off Noel vs Okafor 4 a while? 

Post#2 » by MatthewGeigerII » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:14 pm

rzzzzz wrote:remember when all the reporters were being told by "league sources" that Saric was going to break his word and not come this year? with that in mind, why are we reacting to all the click bait about Nerlens and Jahlil? in Dario's case, i don't think it mattered so much, but i'm not sure how much of an effect this might be having on the 2 centers. Jah responded to one piece with a couple of really deft tweets that put the issue to rest. for about 4 days or so. Nerlens has maintained a Steve Carlton like silence. i hope both of them are taking this in stride, 'cause either or both of them being bugged by it don't do them or the team any good.

so yeah, we'll keep reading posts from fans from other teams about our "logjam" and how that forces us to trade one of these guys for their scrubs, especially in the "modern era" where centers ain't "worth what they use to be". right. and we'll have to put up with local reporters who keep raising the issue 'cause so far it's been an easy way to get a reaction. but has there been anything of substance that's come out in like months? we know the deal. we got 3 great YOUNG centers. there's really no need to trash any of them in order to support a favorite. that will take care of itself on the court. as part of a team that now really deserves our support.

i feel you - that's what started my non-trade thread idea basically. tired of all the rumors.

but basically it needs to stop from the media outlets first before here. realistically every time an article comes out with another trade rumor or graphs comparing okafor's rookie season to noel and such... the debate flame is re-ignited.

but yeah. i'm all for stopping The Debate (TM) - letting it go dormant at least until Feb. when we can see all 3 bigs play at the same time, in full health.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#3 » by Sixerscan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:15 pm

I do think there are much more interesting topics going on with this team right now, and welcome new threads about those topics.

That being said, people really want to hash this debate out over and over, they are welcome to. Just keep it in the right thread. That way the people that are sick of it can avoid it. Please and thank you.
roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Post#4 » by roma258 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:57 pm

Okafor vs Noel is the forever war, our children will be relitigating that **** in 2050, underwater.
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#5 » by LloydFree » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:28 pm

There wouldn't be any conversation about either player, if there weren't daily ridiculous posts in every thread, about there not being a log jam at the Center spot. Or the even more ridiculous posts about how Okafor's defense was some how adequate.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#6 » by rzzzzz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:48 pm

MatthewGeigerII wrote:but basically it needs to stop from the media outlets first

yeah, you're right. 'course, there ain't too many analysts out there with the restraint of Zack Lowe, and the old beat writers who focused on the clubhouse for investigative reports kind of died out with the newsrooms. now, between actual stories, we got a self-reinforcing net that fans the flames. no end to that, i guess.

and yes, folks come to sites to freely express their opinions. that's healthy. and these athletes are well paid to not only practice their craft, but deal with media and fans in whatever form it takes. (i kind of think that Sam, brilliant as he was at the game itself, was kind of done in 'cause as much as there was a business advantage to playing his cards close to the vest, his natural reserve from the media left him vulnerable in the long run.)

anyway, all apologies for tilting at windmills.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,731

Post#7 » by the_process » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:26 pm

The problem with not discussing it is whether anybody likes it or not it's the elephant in the room and has to be addressed before this team can truly move forward. Because until then, you're going to have a whole bunch of guys guarding out of position.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Post#8 » by 76ciology » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:50 am

Next big issue is Simmons' shooting/scoring IMO.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#9 » by Ericb5 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:58 am

oyoyer wrote:The problem with not discussing it is whether anybody likes it or not it's the elephant in the room and has to be addressed before this team can truly move forward. Because until then, you're going to have a whole bunch of guys guarding out of position.

It will be a big issue until it is resolved by either a trade, or by one of them vastly outperforming the other. My guess is that it will be resolved by a trade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#10 » by phifans » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:34 am

LloydFree wrote:There wouldn't be any conversation about either player, if there weren't daily ridiculous posts in every thread, about there not being a log jam at the Center spot. Or the even more ridiculous posts about how Okafor's defense was some how adequate.

To conclude your words more acurately : There wouldn't be any conversation if everyone agree with you.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,845

Post#11 » by Mik317 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:50 am

it is the main issue atm tho.

until this is resolved, it will be the biggest talking point. And unless one of them miraculously add perimeter skills over night, it will remain that way.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#12 » by LloydFree » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:53 am

phifans wrote:
LloydFree wrote:There wouldn't be any conversation about either player, if there weren't daily ridiculous posts in every thread, about there not being a log jam at the Center spot. Or the even more ridiculous posts about how Okafor's defense was some how adequate.

To conclude your words more acurately : There wouldn't be any conversation if everyone agree with you.

Disagreement on a subject isn't a bad thing. Intelligent debate is a good thing. But some children like to make it a personal thing, with ad hominem silliness, instead of providing intelligent reasons why their point of view makes more sense.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#13 » by Ericb5 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:14 am

It may be annoying, but we would much rather have this be our biggest issue, than Embiid's health.

It's cliche to say it, but this is a good problem to have. If neither of them had any talent it wouldn't be a big deal, but they both do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Post#14 » by 76ciology » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:47 am

Criticisms are good. Not expecting to improve from it is bad.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#15 » by Tiny ball » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:41 am

rzzzzz wrote:remember when all the reporters were being told by "league sources" that Saric was going to break his word and not come this year? with that in mind, why are we reacting to all the click bait about Nerlens and Jahlil? in Dario's case, i don't think it mattered so much, but i'm not sure how much of an effect this might be having on the 2 centers. Jah responded to one piece with a couple of really deft tweets that put the issue to rest. for about 4 days or so. Nerlens has maintained a Steve Carlton like silence. i hope both of them are taking this in stride, 'cause either or both of them being bugged by it don't do them or the team any good.

"Great young centers" ?? None of them have done anything to be called great.
MatthewGeigerII
Bench Warmer
And1: 219

Post#16 » by MatthewGeigerII » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:28 pm

IMO when BC talked about not going into the season with all 3 bigs that was the equivalent to a family airing out their dirty laundry in public. Or a boss telling you he is eventually going to fire one of you or your two boys at work, but he will not tell you who, when, or the criteria how not to get fired. It would be an uncomfortable work environment after that, and that's what i believe has happened here: there is two ways to react as well. The way Jah has: where you fake the smile in front of your boss as best as you can (i can't wait for the season, i love ben, were gonna be great, i love philly, etc)... or the way nerlens has (introvert, hide, basically thinking 'f this dude' in his head and have a motive to prove him wrong).

that's my main neg. on him so far. whether it sparked this to be the topic of the summer or not - i just don't believe it was right thing to do.
bedjawII
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#17 » by bedjawII » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:51 pm

MatthewGeigerII wrote:IMO when BC talked about not going into the season with all 3 bigs that was the equivalent to a family airing out their dirty laundry in public. Or a boss telling you he is eventually going to fire one of you or your two boys at work, but he will not tell you who, when, or the criteria how not to get fired. It would be an uncomfortable work environment after that, and that's what i believe has happened here: there is two ways to react as well. The way Jah has: where you fake the smile in front of your boss as best as you can (i can't wait for the season, i love ben, were gonna be great, i love philly, etc)... or the way nerlens has (introvert, hide, basically thinking 'f this dude' in his head and have a motive to prove him wrong).

that's my main neg. on him so far. whether it sparked this to be the topic of the summer or not - i just don't believe it was right thing to do.

I see your point but that's the NBA. I won't compare either of them getting traded to a real-world person getting fired. I thought it was refreshing. Curious also as you mentioned. I don't see that it's a big issue. I think BC properly over-adjusted to Hinkies seclusion just a bit. I also think he was testing both of them.
steveb21
Pro Prospect
And1: 123

Post#18 » by steveb21 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:33 pm

It's only a "logjam" if they all have to start.

Noel is better suited to come off the bench IMO. Okafor can split time between to 4 and the 5. Embiid will not play the 2nd of back-to-back games this year. Saric can play 3 or 4. Simmons can play point, 3 or 4.

Lots of combinations to use and lots of minutes for everyone.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#19 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:50 pm

steveb21 wrote:It's only a "logjam" if they all have to start.

Noel is better suited to come off the bench IMO. Okafor can split time between to 4 and the 5. Embiid will not play the 2nd of back-to-back games this year. Saric can play 3 or 4. Simmons can play point, 3 or 4.

Lots of combinations to use and lots of minutes for everyone.

It's a logjam because either Noel or Okafor will have to play mostly at the 4 and either Simmons or Saric will have to play mostly at the 3. Simmons will never take minutes away from the team's guards so for depth chart purposes he won't be playing point.
mksp
Analyst
And1: 2,485

Post#20 » by mksp » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:56 pm

It's like you guys don't remember how bad Jahlil was playing the 4 last year.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers