ImageImageImage

CBS Sports "reporting": Sixers reportedly plan to trade either Nerlens Noel or Jahlil Okafor

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Re: CBS Sports "reporting": Sixers reportedly plan to trade either Nerlens Noel or Jahlil Okafor 

Post#261 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:14 pm

If you're Noel, how can you be happy when current condition is not favorable unlike before and you are up for an extension? Wing position is going to get upgraded with Hollis, Gerald, Simmons and Saric then you have Holmes, Jerami and Embiid who can also provide rim protection. There's not going to have much time of putting defensive liabilities + Noel and showing how much Noel can carry a team's defense.

To me, he needs to consider it as a challenge through contrast effect, just like how he showed some people that he's more valuable than Jah. If he can show people that he's the best center among Embiid and Jah, he'll most likely get the money he wants. But if he has his doubts on his talent, then he'll crack with the pressure.

The contract situation certainly makes things complicated. Personally, I just hope they can put it aside and just work together as a team.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
manlisten
Junior
And1: 311

Re: CBS Sports "reporting": Sixers reportedly plan to trade either Nerlens Noel or Jahlil Okafor 

Post#262 » by manlisten » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:18 pm

spikeslovechild wrote: We can find a def center in free agency that can do 80% of what he does for 8-10 million.

You might want to take a look at the upcoming crop of free agent centers. Or even pay attention to what kind of contracts half decent centers signed for this summer.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#263 » by Ericb5 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:33 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:I'll say this about Noel. I don't begrudge him for his comments or feelings at all. He is clearly an intelligent and thoughtful guy, and it is hard to argue with his logic.

I would hope that BC is in his ear though, and promises him that he or Okafor will be traded by the deadline, if Embiid is healthy, and that Noel would accept that. If we have to eat it on value due to the logjam then the trade deadline is the time to cut bait.

I would happily toss the return from an Okafor/Noel trade into the volcano to appease the basketball gods in exchange for a healthy Embiid.

I do. I mean I can't tell him how to feel. Only how I'd like him to feel. I'd like to see him see the competition as fuel to get better not be traded because minutes will come easier to him.

I'd like to see him add a bunch of weight in the offseason. I'd like to see him go to USA Basketball. Like Barkley said there was no reason for him not to be there. I'd like for him to hit the court to work on his free throw shooting and midrange game. Instead of going on vacation and not being seen anywhere.

He also didn't need to take shots at Hinkie. When the rest of the team including embiid and okafor are talking trust the process. Frankly he needs to just grow up and get over himself. The cultists who worship him as some sort of FlatTopGod have convinced him he's much better then what he is. He ain't all that. We can find a def center in free agency that can do 80% of what he does for 8-10 million.

I don't interpret his comments as taking a shot at Hinkie. What could he have done about USA basketball? He wasn't invited.

He also has done everything that the team has asked him to do with regard to lifting, and he just wasn't able to put on weight.

I think that he was just asked a question, and he gave an honest answer. I'm dissapointed in his lack of progress skills wise, but I don't think that it is due to lack of effort. He is in a tough situation, and given that he is in a contract year, it probably hurts him more than it hurts the other two guys.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,991

Post#264 » by spikeslovechild » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:07 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:I'll say this about Noel. I don't begrudge him for his comments or feelings at all. He is clearly an intelligent and thoughtful guy, and it is hard to argue with his logic.

I would hope that BC is in his ear though, and promises him that he or Okafor will be traded by the deadline, if Embiid is healthy, and that Noel would accept that. If we have to eat it on value due to the logjam then the trade deadline is the time to cut bait.

I would happily toss the return from an Okafor/Noel trade into the volcano to appease the basketball gods in exchange for a healthy Embiid.

I do. I mean I can't tell him how to feel. Only how I'd like him to feel. I'd like to see him see the competition as fuel to get better not be traded because minutes will come easier to him.

I'd like to see him add a bunch of weight in the offseason. I'd like to see him go to USA Basketball. Like Barkley said there was no reason for him not to be there. I'd like for him to hit the court to work on his free throw shooting and midrange game. Instead of going on vacation and not being seen anywhere.

He also didn't need to take shots at Hinkie. When the rest of the team including embiid and okafor are talking trust the process. Frankly he needs to just grow up and get over himself. The cultists who worship him as some sort of FlatTopGod have convinced him he's much better then what he is. He ain't all that. We can find a def center in free agency that can do 80% of what he does for 8-10 million.

I don't interpret his comments as taking a shot at Hinkie. What could he have done about USA basketball? He wasn't invited.

He also has done everything that the team has asked him to do with regard to lifting, and he just wasn't able to put on weight.

I think that he was just asked a question, and he gave an honest answer. I'm dissapointed in his lack of progress skills wise, but I don't think that it is due to lack of effort. He is in a tough situation, and given that he is in a contract year, it probably hurts him more than it hurts the other two guys.

We all know how it works. The people who want to be there somehow manage to find themselves with an invitation besides the chairman was Jerry Colangelo I mean comeon man.

Also once again come on man with "he was just asked a question and being honest". A) He didn't have to answer the question B) He didn't need to do the interview C) He did the interview knowing he was going to be asked the question.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Noels camp who pushed the interview.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#265 » by Ericb5 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:11 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:

We all know how it works. The people who want to be there somehow manage to find themselves with an invitation besides the chairman was Jerry Colangelo I mean comeon man.

Also once again come on man with "he was just asked a question and being honest". A) He didn't have to answer the question B) He didn't need to do the interview C) He did the interview knowing he was going to be asked the question.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Noels camp who pushed the interview.

I don't know what the situation with USA basketball was, but he wasn't invited.

For answering the question, I get it that he clearly decided to make a statement when he didn't have to. My point is that I prefer the honest and thoughtful response to the BS response. He and Okafor both have a right to expect to start in the NBA. I expect them to be professional if that isn't going to happen in Philly. I guess that I am just saying that I don't think he crossed any line just by expressing his displeasure with the whole situation.
Sixerfan86
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#266 » by Sixerfan86 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:30 pm

I'm more inclined to trade noel than okafor due to the contract situation. (I'm inclined to eventually move both). Rather than selling a noel for cents on the dollar, I would much rather trade for future unprotected picks that can turn into something.

Maybe trade Noel for cavs first rounder in 2020 (earliest year they can trade player) and 2022? Maybe 2022 and 2024 just to be safe? I know its a long way away, but it could turn into something. We all know that when lebron steps away it will get ugly fast in cleveland. Look at how set Boston is because of their deal with nets.

Getting anything in the short term of value is out the window, so we need to start thinking outside the box.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,731

Post#267 » by the_process » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:30 am

Sixerfan86 wrote:I'm more inclined to trade noel than okafor due to the contract situation. (I'm inclined to eventually move both). Rather than selling a noel for cents on the dollar, I would much rather trade for future unprotected picks that can turn into something.

Maybe trade Noel for cavs first rounder in 2020 (earliest year they can trade player) and 2022? Maybe 2022 and 2024 just to be safe? I know its a long way away, but it could turn into something. We all know that when lebron steps away it will get ugly fast in cleveland. Look at how set Boston is because of their deal with nets.

Getting anything in the short term of value is out the window, so we need to start thinking outside the box.

Mo Williams' contract, rights to Cedi Osman, Mike Dunleavy, 2020 CLE unprotected 1st, and 2022 CLE unprotected 1st for Noel and McConnell.

That gives the Cavs a repeat and gives the Sixers an acceptable package.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#268 » by rzzzzz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:54 pm

Toronto Raptors. They reached the conference finals and played the Cavs pretty tough. Now they've lost Biyombo while Boston just got Horford. They got some nice young guards who would get major burn with our roster. Bryan must still have some phone numbers.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#269 » by LloydFree » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:34 pm

manlisten wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote: We can find a def center in free agency that can do 80% of what he does for 8-10 million.

You might want to take a look at the upcoming crop of free agent centers. Or even pay attention to what kind of contracts half decent centers signed for this summer.

Why you gotta let reality and common sense get in the way of this discussion...
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#270 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:36 am

LloydFree wrote:
manlisten wrote:

The reality is before a bunch of GM's lost their ever loving minds Biyombo was getting paid 2.5 million. Players like Ed Davis were getting 7 million.

Even this year with the cap exploding there were some decent deals. I really like Aldrich he got 7 million on a longterm deal. Ezeli is getting 2 million.

We don't need to break the bank to find ourselves a defensive backup center for Embiid. I'm sorry but we just don't
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#271 » by tk76 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:27 am

If you are not getting a fair return then you better trade him to a Western Conference team. Preferably a dysfunctional one.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,731

Post#272 » by the_process » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:52 am

spikeslovechild wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
manlisten wrote:

The reality is before a bunch of GM's lost their ever loving minds Biyombo was getting paid 2.5 million. Players like Ed Davis were getting 7 million.

Even this year with the cap exploding there were some decent deals. I really like Aldrich he got 7 million on a longterm deal. Ezeli is getting 2 million.

We don't need to break the bank to find ourselves a defensive backup center for Embiid. I'm sorry but we just don't

Ezeli is making 7.4M to be Portland's 3rd string C.

The cap went way up, no one went crazy. Except for Portland.

It's not going to be cheap to find a good defensive backup.

Also, I think everyone here is jumping the gun on Embiid. Let's make sure he can play and stay healthy before we dump Noel. Okafor can still go tomorrow.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#273 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:52 pm

oyoyer wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

Ezeli is making 7.4M to be Portland's 3rd string C.

The cap went way up, no one went crazy. Except for Portland.

It's not going to be cheap to find a good defensive backup.

Also, I think everyone here is jumping the gun on Embiid. Let's make sure he can play and stay healthy before we dump Noel. Okafor can still go tomorrow.

I thought he was making around 7 million but for some reason when I googled his name that was what came up on his wiki page. Anyways, Ezeli and Aldrich are both players who I think would have made good backups.

Those are the type of players we should be targeting next offseason and lets not forget even after trading Noel we still have Okafor. They'd essentially be 3rd string who may get what 15 minutes a game.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#274 » by Sixerscan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Ezelis knee is messed up and had to have surgery like a month after he signed, not sure how this is an apt comparison.

Actually it wasn't surgery it was an injection, either way it certainly impacted his value.
Easymoney
Junior
And1: 171

Post#275 » by Easymoney » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:07 pm

Read on Twitter

“I do want to be vocal,” the 76ers' second-year center said. “I think I can help my teammates out the most by doing that.

“This is our team. This is the players’ team and we all have to do our part to be a leader.”

No longer a rookie, the 6-foot-11, 265-pounder knows he has to do his part to be a leader. He’s already displaying that vocal leadership. Okafor had a sit-down conversation with Ben Simmons on Tuesday morning right before the start of training camp. Okafor told the first overall pick to be vocally ahead of where he was at this time last year as a rookie.

“As a rookie, nobody is really expecting you to talk and if you do, it’s pretty impressive,” Okafor said. “So I mentioned that to Ben, because at that time, I wasn’t talking at all.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/Okafor-aims-to-be-a-vocal-leader.html
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#276 » by Ericb5 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:07 pm

It's funny how this article takes the exact opposite view of the conventional wisdom on this board that Noel is the one that represents the Embiid insurance.

I'm not sure what the right answer is, but it is interesting to see the different perspective.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20160929_Only_Embiid_can_solve_logjam_at_center.html?mobi=true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Philadelphia 76ers