ImageImageImage

If Sam turned down the Nets pick...

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

If Sam turned down the Nets pick... 

Post#1 » by rzzzzz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:11 pm

at the time, the Nets pick was not the #3 pick. it was a #1-6 pick. in what was considered a "2 player draft". or even a shot at the "next great" player. IF things went down like was first reported, Danny was offering to give up his shot at hitting a top 2, and Sam turned down the chance to enhance hitting the top 2 considerably. all for Okafor.

so there are some Hinkie "supporters" out there who say the only really bad move Sam made was to draft Okafor. maybe ownership forced his hand. but the trading deadline was like 7 or 8 months after the pick, after we've seen a lot of the rookie, along with his well documented transgressions. apparently Sam still really valued him. as did Danny. (and whether it was Jerry of Pops, it's interesting that he was invited to the select team, despite his rehab limiting him to just working out with team USA.)

this doesn't mean that Jah is better or even as good as anybody else on the team. I can't believe we got both Embiid and Simmons on the court together. Saric has to prove himself, but he's another guy Sam really liked. And Noel is an amazing athlete, with the perfect physique for the "modern game". but I'm real glad we kept Jah.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,563

Re: If Sam turned town the Nets pick... 

Post#2 » by 76ciology » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:27 pm

I think Nets pick value declined a lot after lotto. And I still think Celts was wrong to not give up that third pick for Noel or Jah. Was worse when they opted for Jaylen, who they could have drafted after atleast a few picks after.

Was high on Dunn, but not much of a loss IF BS' long term position is at PG.

*"IF" so don't kill me.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#3 » by LloydFree » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:30 pm

It's funny to me that anyone believes this fairytale, that Boston offered the Brooklyn pick to the 76ers and even funnier that someone believes Hinkie would turn that down.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#4 » by Ericb5 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:40 pm

LloydFree wrote:It's funny to me that anyone believes this fairytale, that Boston offered the Brooklyn pick to the 76ers and even funnier that someone believes Hinkie would turn that down.

I don't think it is a fairy tail that it was offered for Okafor at the deadline, but we don't know what else was part of he discussion. Who knows? Maybe it would have required the Sixers to send the Lakers pick back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#5 » by eagereyez » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:44 pm

I read somewhere that it was JC/ownership who turned down that reported offer. Can't remember where I read it, or if it was just pure speculation. Trading Okafor for a pick is a total Hinkie move tho.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#6 » by youngcrev » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:35 pm

If you think that ownership forced Sam's hand in drafting Jah, wouldn't you think his hands were tied when it came to the possibility of moving him a few months later?
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,565

Post#7 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:10 pm

Yeah, if you believe them, the reports definitely match Hinkie being okay with doing the deal and ownership overruling him and turning it down at the last second.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,730

Post#8 » by the_process » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:44 pm

:nonono: Ownership's love affair with the next Brook Lopez needs to end.

Then again, it took the Magic three years and two coaches to realize Vucevic wasn't the answer in the middle.

Casual fans and offense. :dontknow:
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#9 » by CoreyGallagher » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:05 pm

oyoyer wrote::nonono: Ownership's love affair with the next Brook Lopez needs to end.

Then again, it took the Magic three years and two coaches to realize Vucevic wasn't the answer in the middle.

Erm, I wouldn't consider many posters here that do like Okafor casual fans - myself included. I believe you were conscious of that when making your post, tho.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Re: If Sam turned down the Nets pick... 

Post#10 » by rzzzzz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:35 pm

LloydFree wrote:It's funny to me that anyone believes this fairytale

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/02/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_201.html

(ownership so infatuated with Jah, still mad that Sam didn't do a good enough job babysitting him, finally deciding to force him out after he entertained the trade? i don't know.)
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#11 » by LloydFree » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:57 pm

oyoyer wrote::nonono: Ownership's love affair with the next Brook Lopez needs to end.

Exactly. If Embiid gets hurt again, and Okafor is the Center, we'll be where the Magic were last year. Just like their fans, we'll have to learn the hard way.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,595

Post#12 » by sixerswillrule » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:05 pm

Orlando's defense was about average last year, it was their offense that was below average.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,730

Post#13 » by the_process » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:37 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:

Erm, I wouldn't consider many posters here that do like Okafor casual fans - myself included. I believe you were conscious of that when making your post, tho.

Yeah, that particular reference wasn't to any posters, it was to ownership. Sorry, I thought in context that was obvious. My bad.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#14 » by LloydFree » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:32 am

sixerswillrule wrote:

Orlando's defense was about average last year, it was their offense that was below average.

That's because Orlando spent the last three years surrounding Vucevic with strong defensive (but weak offensive) perimeter players to compensate for his uselessness on defense. The need to build around Vucevic, caused them to draft Payton and Gordon in an attempt to cover for Vucevic at the expense of their Offense. It's a backwards way of building a team and it rarely works unless you have perimeter players like Jordan, Pippen or Lebron.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#15 » by Ericb5 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:46 am

LloydFree wrote:

Exactly. If Embiid gets hurt again, and Okafor is the Center, we'll be where the Magic were last year. Just like their fans, we'll have to learn the hard way.

That's not true. We have Simmons, and Simmons is better than any two of their players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,991

Post#16 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:28 am

Orlando won 35 games last year. Which is more then the combined win total of the last two seasons of Noel. But hey we can't win without him right? Seems like we can't win with him either.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#17 » by phifans » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:55 am

spikeslovechild wrote:Orlando won 35 games last year. Which is more then the combined win total of the last two seasons of Noel. But hey we can't win without him right? Seems like we can't win with him either.

Don't you know ? Defensive Center is THE GOD !!!(and all we need to win games) …

Return to Philadelphia 76ers