ImageImageImage

The lack of Ersan Ilyasova trade rumors is starting to concern me

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

AdotSmoove
Sophomore
And1: 58

Re: The lack of Ersan Ilyasova trade rumors is starting to concern me 

Post#21 » by AdotSmoove » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:14 am

I don't get all of the Ersan hate. He is what he is and always has been. He is a volume shooter at the 4 spot. Without Embiid on the court, who would you rather take those shots? Saric is going to run the second unit once Simmons returns anyway, so why force him into starting lineup when he's played better as a reserve anyway. Ersan being a gunner doesnt kill our ball movement as opposed to Jah and the fact is someone needs to shoot it. If nothing more the Sixers offense looks like they are running a competent scheme when Ersan is in the game. After years of watching the majority of our 2nd rounders get significant playing time, I think it just has to be nice for the other players to play with a vet. On the market Ersan is worth maybe a mid 2nd round pick, I don't see the added benefit

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#22 » by Winejk » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:12 am

1) Most trades get made without rumors flying around them. It seems like rumored trades go down less than trades that come out of nowhere. No one was rumoring about the Cousins deal, or the Portland-Denver deal...Lou Will was rumored to be traded but not to Houston. Lack of rumors don't bother me. I prefer tight lips. No one had a clue about the Ersan-Jeremi Grant trade and so far that's the only one we can use as an example of Colangelo's operating style in Philly.

2) I don't think it is unacceptable if Ersan is on the team after the deadline passes. Until recently he's been the 2nd best player on the court. He's a good fit with Embiid. He provides floor spacing from the 4 spot. Yeah, I think he's been chucking and missing too much lately, but Covington has gone through similar stretches.

3) I don't know if you picked up on Saric's comments over all-star weekend. He likes playing SF and thinks maybe his future is there if he loses some weight. If that is the case, Ersan really isn't blocking him. Plus if Saric keeps playing the way he is, Ersan will be coming off the bench where he's not likely to throw a fit or disrupt team chemistry.

4) I suppose if we are all out asset collection mode, then getting a 2nd round pick for Ersan would be the course of action, but I don't think we are in all out asset collection mode anymore. We have Embiid. We have Simmons. We have many high draft picks. We still have many 2nd round picks. At some point you have to start building a team. Ersan has been good for this team on the court mostly. I think he's been credited with being a good teammate and example for the young guys on the team.

5) I'd rather have Colangelo exploring Okafor deals more than Ersan deals. If he's too busy dealing with potential Okafor deals, then Ersan can go to the back burner.

So whether Ersan is a Sixers or not a Sixer after the trade deadline is nothing to get too excited over. It is not back breaking. It isn't going to set the franchise back 5 years. It really is just not much either way. There are cases for and against, but neither are overwhelming. At this point, with all the Sixers assets and cap space, are we really fretting over a possible 2nd round pick and more playing time for young guys, when playing time for young guys can be monitored by Brett Brown and not the GM?
aHealthy3
Rookie
And1: 301

Post#23 » by aHealthy3 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:16 am

Don't see any reason why this hasn't already happened (we also get WSH 2017 1st):

Sam Hinkie wrote:The illusion of control is an opiate, though.
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#24 » by ckchen » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:30 am

DikembeFor3 wrote:Don't see any reason why this hasn't already happened (we also get WSH 2017 1st):

Because they wanted a guard/wing player. Also because Nicholson has 3 more years on his deal after this one?
aHealthy3
Rookie

Post#25 » by aHealthy3 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:33 am

ckchen wrote:
DikembeFor3 wrote:Don't see any reason why this hasn't already happened (we also get WSH 2017 1st):

Because they wanted a guard/wing player. Also because Nicholson has 3 more years on his deal after this one?

After striking out on Lou, Ilyasova is one of the best options left for them, and they would love to dump Nicholson. We could afford to eat the money or easily move Nicholson along in a future deal.
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#26 » by ckchen » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:46 am

DikembeFor3 wrote:After striking out on Lou, Ilyasova is one of the best options left for them, and they would love to dump Nicholson. We could afford to eat the money or easily move Nicholson along in a future deal.

They're looking at Shabazz. No mention at all that they're interested in Ilyasova. Just because you think he's their best option doesn't mean they do. The whole point of trading Ilyasova would be to get an asset as well as opening up roster spots. Adding a forward on a 3 yr deal doesn't accomplish that. If Washington wants to dump Nicholson and has to tie him to a first round pick in order to do so, how exactly does that make him "easily moved" in a future deal? If Ajinca's deal was a sticking point in the proposed deal, how is this Nicholson deal any better?
aHealthy3
Rookie

Post#27 » by aHealthy3 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:59 am

ckchen wrote:
DikembeFor3 wrote:After striking out on Lou, Ilyasova is one of the best options left for them, and they would love to dump Nicholson. We could afford to eat the money or easily move Nicholson along in a future deal.

They're looking at Shabazz. No mention at all that they're interested in Ilyasova. Just because you think he's their best option doesn't mean they do. The whole point of trading Ilyasova would be to get an asset as well as opening up roster spots. Adding a forward on a 3 yr deal doesn't accomplish that. If Washington wants to dump Nicholson and has to tie him to a first round pick in order to do so, how exactly does that make him "easily moved" in a future deal? If Ajinca's deal was a sticking point in the proposed deal, how is this Nicholson deal any better?

No, there hasn't been mention that they're interested but that's what what we are discussing. If it was the only way of getting a 1st rounder out of Ersan, I think we should at least consider it. We aren't even at the salary floor right now. The Wiz have a vast majority of their remaining games on the road and the pick will end up at 19-22.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#28 » by BullyKing » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:47 am

Winejk wrote:1) Most trades get made without rumors flying around them. It seems like rumored trades go down less than trades that come out of nowhere. No one was rumoring about the Cousins deal, or the Portland-Denver deal...Lou Will was rumored to be traded but not to Houston. Lack of rumors don't bother me. I prefer tight lips. No one had a clue about the Ersan-Jeremi Grant trade and so far that's the only one we can use as an example of Colangelo's operating style in Philly.

2) I don't think it is unacceptable if Ersan is on the team after the deadline passes. Until recently he's been the 2nd best player on the court. He's a good fit with Embiid. He provides floor spacing from the 4 spot. Yeah, I think he's been chucking and missing too much lately, but Covington has gone through similar stretches.

3) I don't know if you picked up on Saric's comments over all-star weekend. He likes playing SF and thinks maybe his future is there if he loses some weight. If that is the case, Ersan really isn't blocking him. Plus if Saric keeps playing the way he is, Ersan will be coming off the bench where he's not likely to throw a fit or disrupt team chemistry.

4) I suppose if we are all out asset collection mode, then getting a 2nd round pick for Ersan would be the course of action, but I don't think we are in all out asset collection mode anymore. We have Embiid. We have Simmons. We have many high draft picks. We still have many 2nd round picks. At some point you have to start building a team. Ersan has been good for this team on the court mostly. I think he's been credited with being a good teammate and example for the young guys on the team.

5) I'd rather have Colangelo exploring Okafor deals more than Ersan deals. If he's too busy dealing with potential Okafor deals, then Ersan can go to the back burner.

So whether Ersan is a Sixers or not a Sixer after the trade deadline is nothing to get too excited over. It is not back breaking. It isn't going to set the franchise back 5 years. It really is just not much either way. There are cases for and against, but neither are overwhelming. At this point, with all the Sixers assets and cap space, are we really fretting over a possible 2nd round pick and more playing time for young guys, when playing time for young guys can be monitored by Brett Brown and not the GM?

Honestly, I think the reason I (and most of us) are so desperate to trade Illy is not for the return but for the peace of mind that it means Colangelo is less likely to sign him to a stupid contract in the offseason.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,552

Post#29 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:27 am

BullyKing wrote:Honestly, I think the reason I (and most of us) are so desperate to trade Illy is not for the return but for the peace of mind that it means Colangelo is less likely to sign him to a stupid contract in the offseason.

Sign me up for that. And 2 2nds that the team can sell and make the owners more cash from.
KrazySixersD
General Manager
And1: 1,008

Post#30 » by KrazySixersD » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Why do yall want him gone? He has shown he fits really well with this team. I know we want to tank, but we are going to try to win next year and will need him
MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Post#31 » by MountainDrew » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:13 pm

Would't mind just keeping him for this season and just letting him expire. Think at the start of next season we have enough options that we won't need him anymore, but for now he's a nice fit next to Embiid and keeps us in games.

That said, if we can get something of value for him, why not.
Trust the Process
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#32 » by thenbaman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:18 pm

WOW the only player that can spread the floor and make inside life possible for embiid.
Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Post#33 » by Agnostifarian » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:22 pm

Seems like Ersan could help CLE right now. WAS, TOR, CHA..., IDK.

If Embiid, Simmons aren't healthy enough to make a playoff push, I'm all for unloading Ersan, Sergio, Henderson.

Oh, and Brian can go too.
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#34 » by SparksFly87 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Hinkie would never let expirings like Ersan and Sergio walk without extracting some future assets/value. The formula works. Having improved Saric and anticipated Simmons makes Ersans services no longer needed. Ersan can still be a valuable contributor to a playoff team. Sergio is a passable back up point guard to a team as well
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#35 » by TTP » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:03 pm

thenbaman wrote:WOW the only player that can spread the floor and make inside life possible for embiid.

Ersan is 6th on the team in 3 point % right now.

He ball stops, makes really dumb decisions on both sides of the ball, doesn't play defense, plays the same position as two of our top prospects, and will be 30 in May. It would be foolish to not move him after one of the better seasons of his career and would be even more foolish to re-sign him.

To the people that are making the argument "we're not in the asset accumulation phase anymore" - you don't stop seeking value or stop making good decisions because you're starting to compete.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
phillthy13
Sophomore
And1: 57

Post#36 » by phillthy13 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:17 pm

We don't always have to ship players out, that's not a good look to have around the league - Ersan said he wants to play here long-term so why not keep him and see what his asking price is this summer?
AdotSmoove
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#37 » by AdotSmoove » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:17 pm

Agnostifarian wrote:Seems like Ersan could help CLE right now. WAS, TOR, CHA..., IDK.

If Embiid, Simmons aren't healthy enough to make a playoff push, I'm all for unloading Ersan, Sergio, Henderson.

We get a few veterans. We start to play like an actual basketball team. We win some games. Now you want to unload them all because we're not making a playoff push. The return will suck plus having a few vets on the team has had a positive impact. Team continuity is not complete hogwash. Not every player on the team needs to be under 24. Take Nerlens remarks about the culture shift, that shift is not solely due to Embiid. It helps to have a few vets on short/cheap deals when trying to build a system.

steveb21
Pro Prospect
And1: 123

Post#38 » by steveb21 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Kobblehead wrote:IMO, Ilyasova being on this roster after Thursday would be completely unacceptable.

Yeah man! I mean why would we keep a guy who can actually play? :crazy:
sixers23
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#39 » by sixers23 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:39 pm

AdotSmoove wrote:
Agnostifarian wrote:Seems like Ersan could help CLE right now. WAS, TOR, CHA..., IDK.

We get a few veterans. We start to play like an actual basketball team. We win some games. Now you want to unload them all because we're not making a playoff push. The return will suck plus having a few vets on the team has had a positive impact. Team continuity is not complete hogwash. Not every player on the team needs to be under 24. Take Nerlens remarks about the culture shift, that shift is not solely due to Embiid. It helps to have a few vets on short/cheap deals when trying to build a system.

i dont see how 20 more games of ersan matters
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,829

Post#40 » by Negrodamus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:42 pm

It's interesting that there are more than 0 people in here who want to keep Ilyasova for about a month and then let him go for nothing.

I'm genuinely confused what keeping him around would do for us.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers