RealGM
And1: 9,817

Re: Please... come get Lowry 

Post#41 » by HotelVitale » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:51 am

mithrandir17 wrote:
Rastas wrote:Lowry - 31yo - 4yrs -120m
Mills - 28yo - 4yrs - 45m
Jrue - 26yo - 4yrs - 85m
Personally I pick Mills and save money for another need.
If that is what you are offering Mills, I think he would rather stay with Pop in SAS than go to an unknown situation here.
Yeah, those estimates seem pretty random. Evan Turner and Luol Deng got almost 4/80 on the open market last year, Jrue figures to command significantly more. And Mills should do better than $11m--that's basically blah role player money now, what $6m used to be 4-5 years ago. Seems like you adjusted to the new cap for Lowry's deal but only went halfway for the others?
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#42 » by Rastas » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:04 am

mithrandir17 wrote:
Jrue - 26yo - 4yrs - 85m

If that is what you are offering Mills, I think he would rather stay with Pop in SAS than go to an unknown situation here.

Ok , I may be a little off - however reading the Spurs board they don't seem to think they can even offer Patty 10m a year , and also I think Mills would be happy to work under Brown and with Simmons as he has good connections with both , maybe a 4yr 50m will do it.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#43 » by Kolkmania » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:40 am

Rastas wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:
Jrue - 26yo - 4yrs - 85m

Ok , I may be a little off - however reading the Spurs board they don't seem to think they can even offer Patty 10m a year , and also I think Mills would be happy to work under Brown and with Simmons as he has good connections with both , maybe a 4yr 50m will do it.

Spurs have so many holes to fill this offseason, their bench scorers Ginobli and Mills are UFA and on top of that, their defensive big has a 3 million dollar player option. No way that Dewayne Dedmond will be playing for that kind of money next year.

Patty Mills seems like a realistic option, first of all he's earned a total amount of 15 million dollars in his entire career, something he could get in one season next year. Second, the Aussie connection with Brett Brown and Ben Simmons. Third, he's the perfect off-ball guard next to Simmons while being 28 years old.
However, Mills makes Bayless kind of redundant and keeping both of them limits any potential playing time for a drafted guard. If we draft Jonathan Isaac/Jayson Tatum I'm fine with paying Mills ~15-18 million for three years.

Regarding Lowry, I love the way he plays. Full of heart, leadership and really crafty. His career shooting in the play-offs is worrisome though. Perhaps his effectiveness is reduced because he plays at 100% during regular season when opponents' defense isn't playing on maximum effort. That said, he wouldn't be THE guy here, since he's basically the vet that has to assist and lead Simmons and Embiid while providing some additional scoring punch.
I could see him thrive in that reduced role in his 3rd and 4th year of his max contract. Are we willing to limit our cap possibilities for that? Tough question.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#44 » by Sixerscan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:00 pm

If we draft a wing and pay Patty Mills $15-18 million a year, point guard would still be the biggest need on the roster. Every other elite team besides the Spurs and most playoff teams would have an obvious advantage at that position. Meanwhile we have Embiid, Simmons, Covington, and a top 6 pick wing in the other starting spots. And Saric as 6th man. So I'm not sure what we would be saving the money for. Bench players? Why did we trade Noel for nothing again?

We already have a pseudo starter at the position. We don't need to pay twice as much on top of what we are already paying Bayless to get a slightly better player. I'd much rather pay a premium for a clear upgrade.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#45 » by Kobblehead » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:05 pm

Why does anyone want Patty Mills?
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Re: RE: Re: Please... come get Lowry 

Post#46 » by eagereyez » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:57 pm

Sixerscan wrote:If we draft a wing and pay Patty Mills $15-18 million a year, point guard would still be the biggest need on the roster. Every other elite team besides the Spurs and most playoff teams would have an obvious advantage at that position. Meanwhile we have Embiid, Simmons, Covington, and a top 6 pick wing in the other starting spots. And Saric as 6th man. So I'm not sure what we would be saving the money for. Bench players? Why did we trade Noel for nothing again?

We already have a pseudo starter at the position. We don't need to pay twice as much on top of what we are already paying Bayless to get a slightly better player. I'd much rather pay a premium for a clear upgrade.

Yeah if we're gonna spend money on a FA, Id rather shell out the money for a difference maker (Jrue, Lowry) than overpay a role player who isnt much better than what we have now. Jrue would be awesome here. He fits the team's needs, is younger than Lowry, and can keep our other injured players company once he goes down with an injury of his own. It's perfect.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#47 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:50 pm

Agree with the notion that we might as well commit to signing a difference making premier guard rather than collecting a bunch of fringe guys.

Lowry and Holiday should be atop the list with Teague being a distant third.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#48 » by shawn_hemp » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Would you rather have Mills and JJ Redick or just Kyle Lowry?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#49 » by Sixerscan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:13 pm

shawn_hemp wrote:Would you rather have Mills and JJ Redick or just Kyle Lowry?

They'd still probably have about $20 million in space if they gave Lowry his max. Not so sure this is an either or situation. But if this is the hypo I'd rather just get Lowry. I'd even rather just get Redick alone on a large short term deal over both him and Mills on long term deals. I don't want to sink a lot of money and roster spots into mediocre guards.
kukenotas
Junior
And1: 71

Post#50 » by kukenotas » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:37 pm

Sixerscan wrote:

They'd still probably have about $20 million in space if they gave Lowry his max. Not so sure this is an either or situation. But if this is the hypo I'd rather just get Lowry. I'd even rather just get Redick alone on a large short term deal over both him and Mills on long term deals. I don't want to sink a lot of money and roster spots into mediocre guards.

Lets not forget corvington will get paid soon.

#iSurvivedTheProcess
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,673

Post#51 » by LordCovington33 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:21 am

Sixerscan wrote:

If we get Lowry or Mills, what will become of tj? I don't think he deserves an end-of-bench role as he has played well.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#52 » by Unbreakable99 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:26 am

simmbiid wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

If we get Lowry or Mills, what will become of tj? I don't think he deserves an end-of-bench role as he has played well.

What's do you think will happen to him? The best players play. Don't fall in love with players. TJ's role would be reduced. Playing well on a bad team and showing he belongs in the NBA doesn't mean he deserves to play 25 plus minutes. The best players will play. And I like TJ.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,673

Post#53 » by LordCovington33 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:28 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:
simmbiid wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:They'd still probably have about $20 million in space if they gave Lowry his max. Not so sure this is an either or situation. But if this is the hypo I'd rather just get Lowry. I'd even rather just get Redick alone on a large short term deal over both him and Mills on long term deals. I don't want to sink a lot of money and roster spots into mediocre guards.

What's do you think will happen to him? The best players play. Don't fall in love with players. TJ's role would be reduced. Playing well on a bad team and showing he belongs in the NBA doesn't mean he deserves to play 25 plus minutes. The best players will play.

I am not talking about 25 mins a night. But don't think he should play only 7-10 mins a night either. I see him leading the second unit.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#54 » by Sixerscan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:41 am

simmbiid wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:
simmbiid wrote:

What's do you think will happen to him? The best players play. Don't fall in love with players. TJ's role would be reduced. Playing well on a bad team and showing he belongs in the NBA doesn't mean he deserves to play 25 plus minutes. The best players will play.

I am not talking about 25 mins a night. But don't think he should play only 7-10 mins a night either. I see him leading the second unit.

If he's better than Bayless then he'll play over Bayless.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#55 » by Sixerscan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:42 am

kukenotas wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Lets not forget corvington will get paid soon.

#iSurvivedTheProcess

True.
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#56 » by Rastas » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:33 am

Going forward the very possible scenario of giving max contracts to both Embid and Simmons would be in jeopardy if we start a 30m max Lowrey next season - especially if we want to keep Covington and Holmes .
If Lowrey wants a 2 yr 60m contract then I will also be onboard with that - but at 4 yrs nope.
BigSleep333
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,632

Post#57 » by BigSleep333 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:49 pm

i really like cov, but he is not a game changer like lowry. to say we shouldnt sign lowry, because of nice roleplayers like cov and holmes is exactly what leads you to no chance for the trophy.

dont fall in love with roleplayers
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#58 » by Sixerscan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Rastas wrote:Going forward the very possible scenario of giving max contracts to both Embid and Simmons would be in jeopardy if we start a 30m max Lowrey next season - especially if we want to keep Covington and Holmes .
If Lowrey wants a 2 yr 60m contract then I will also be onboard with that - but at 4 yrs nope.

If Lowry gets a 4 year deal his contract would only overlap with Simmons for one year.

Also you can go over the cap to resign your own players...

The only issue with Covington is that NEXT season it would be nice to have cap room to offer him an inseason extension. Lowry alone wouldn't impede that though.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#59 » by Wilfried » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:32 pm

I think the Covington-situation depends on who we draft, no? And the progression of TLC and JA.

If we draft Josh Jackson, and we already have TLC and Justin Anderson, I don't think they will pay their cap space away for Covington (who will be 27).
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#60 » by AI_Efficiency » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:29 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Rastas wrote:Going forward the very possible scenario of giving max contracts to both Embid and Simmons would be in jeopardy if we start a 30m max Lowrey next season - especially if we want to keep Covington and Holmes .

If Lowry gets a 4 year deal his contract would only overlap with Simmons for one year.

Also you can go over the cap to resign your own players...

The only issue with Covington is that NEXT season it would be nice to have cap room to offer him an inseason extension. Lowry alone wouldn't impede that though.

Yea, I would think we want to be at least $10 million under the cap after FA to be able to renegotiate Covington and extend him before next season. It looks like we will have a lot of unused cap space though unless we go crazy on free agents.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers