ImageImageImage

Welcome Anžejs Pasečņiks

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Re: Welcome Anžejs Pasečņiks 

Post#21 » by Kolkmania » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:10 am

I think Barcelona and Valencia showed interest in him, would be good for him to play in a more competitive surrounding. I haven't watched Bolden and Pasecniks enough to judge, but Pasecniks is not the stretch 5 people the consensus thinks he is. Shot just 18(!) three pointers this year.

Understand the thought process, draft players and stash them. Hope you can sign them for team friendly deals when we're more competitive, it's not like we have a ton of roster spots to develop prospects at the moment.

Will say this, BC better be really high on him, trading the 2020 pick will hamper our flexibility in the future.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,452

Post#22 » by Snotbubbles » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:11 pm

Kolkmania wrote:I think Barcelona and Valencia showed interest in him, would be good for him to play in a more competitive surrounding. I haven't watched Bolden and Pasecniks enough to judge, but Pasecniks is not the stretch 5 people the consensus thinks he is. Shot just 18(!) three pointers this year.

Understand the thought process, draft players and stash them. Hope you can sign them for team friendly deals when we're more competitive, it's not like we have a ton of roster spots to develop prospects at the moment.

Will say this, BC better be really high on him, trading the 2020 pick will hamper our flexibility in the future.

They turned at 2020-2022 pick that MIGHT fall in the 21-30 range or else it becomes two 2nds into the a pick THAT DID fall into that range in 2017.
OleSchool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,344

Post#23 » by OleSchool » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:50 pm

I thought the 2020 pick was OKC's? Which everyone said is basically 2 seconds?
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

NYSixersFan wrote:How can I give you specifics? I'm not talking to other GM's
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,452

Post#24 » by Snotbubbles » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:15 pm

OleSchool wrote:I thought the 2020 pick was OKC's? Which everyone said is basically 2 seconds?

2020 first round draft pick from Oklahoma City
Two years (exactly two years only) after Oklahoma City conveys a 1st round pick to Utah, Oklahoma City will convey its 1st round pick to Philadelphia protected for selections 1-20 in 2020, 1-20 in 2021 and 1-20 in 2022; in any year, if this pick is not conveyed because it falls within its protected range, then Oklahoma City will instead convey its 2022 2nd round pick and 2023 2nd round pick to Philadelphia (i.e., the 1st round pick will not roll over to the following year due to protection) [Oklahoma City-Philadelphia, 11/1/2016]

We don't know if the pick will be in 2020, 2021 or 2022 since the 1st owed to Utah has a lottery protection on it from 2018-2020. Colangelo turned that pick into the 2017 #25 pick guaranteeing that the pick was a first instead of 2 seconds.
JojoSlimbiid
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#25 » by JojoSlimbiid » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:22 pm

Honestly this was probably the oddest selection of the night.
OleSchool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,344

Post#26 » by OleSchool » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:30 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
OleSchool wrote:I thought the 2020 pick was OKC's? Which everyone said is basically 2 seconds?

Two years (exactly two years only) after Oklahoma City conveys a 1st round pick to Utah, Oklahoma City will convey its 1st round pick to Philadelphia protected for selections 1-20 in 2020, 1-20 in 2021 and 1-20 in 2022; in any year, if this pick is not conveyed because it falls within its protected range, then Oklahoma City will instead convey its 2022 2nd round pick and 2023 2nd round pick to Philadelphia (i.e., the 1st round pick will not roll over to the following year due to protection) [Oklahoma City-Philadelphia, 11/1/2016]

We don't know if the pick will be in 2020, 2021 or 2022 since the 1st owed to Utah has a lottery protection on it from 2018-2020. Colangelo turned that pick into the 2017 #25 pick guaranteeing that the pick was a first instead of 2 seconds.

I don't have a problem with that. I know nothing about the kid but I see other posters saying it was a good pick. KP light?
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

NYSixersFan wrote:How can I give you specifics? I'm not talking to other GM's
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,564

Post#27 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:31 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:

I think OKC makes the playoffs this season, so it would be 2020.

And Colangelo didn't guarantee a 1st. He guaranteed Anžejs Pasečņiks. Maybe that is who this board would have ranked the best prospect at 25, but I think a lot of fans would have preferred someone that fit the current roster. Or if the goal is to have a future asset in a few years, why not have a top 20 protected 1st then?

Colangelo is making a bet that Pasečņiks > OKC '20 1st in 2 years. I don't mind that bet in the abstract. But I would have liked to see a second pg-sg-sf propsect somewhere in the draft added to camp. That didn't happen, and combined with selling picks for cash just feels like the team is clearly down assets from when the draft started.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,678

Post#28 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:36 pm

Will he ever have a greater trade value than what it took to draft him? There were similar draft and stash bigs drafted in the second round.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#29 » by Kolkmania » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:48 pm

Yeah I've seen the OKC pick mentions, but would be a bit contradicting to Orlando's statement:

"With the No. 25 pick, compensation acquired by the Magic following the Feb. 14 trade of Serge Ibaka to the Toronto Raptors, Orlando selected 7-footer Andzejs Pasecniks – a Latvian center that they traded the Philadelphia 76ers. In return, the Magic will get the Sixers’ 2020 protected first-round pick (protected 1-20). The pick becomes a second-round selection if the 1-through-20 protection voids it."

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/magic-select-jonathan-isaac-sixth-overall-pick
___Rand___
General Manager
And1: 9,777

Post#30 » by ___Rand___ » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:01 pm

I don't get this BC. More bigs? As if Sixers don't have enough? Explain the logic here.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#31 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:04 pm

___Rand___ wrote:I don't get this BC. More bigs? As if Sixers don't have enough? Explain the logic here.

Going to be stashed for what seems likely to be two years, a lot can change in that time.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#32 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:08 pm

After looking into him, I don't really like this addition.

This dude is really weak on the glass.

If we were going to take a junior aged foreign big (21 years old), I would have preferred both Lessort (woohoo) and Kaba. Both who were available deep into the 2nd round.

If we were going to trade up for a foreign big, it should have been for Isaiah Hartenstein. He's 19, protects the rim and rebounds. A seemingly much better prospect than Anzejs.
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#33 » by thenbaman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:10 pm

smittybanton wrote:I really hope Pasecniks and Bolden play in Summer League!

Was just wondering the same thing,very high on both players. :D
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#34 » by PhilasFinest » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:10 pm

___Rand___ wrote:I don't get this BC. More bigs? As if Sixers don't have enough? Explain the logic here.

Our glut of bigs is pretty overrated. Outside of Embiid/Saric/Holmes, we don't have much depth in terms of big bodies if you take into account Okafor's questionable future.

Why not stash a 7'2" mobile young big man for a few years If you think he has upside?
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#35 » by ___Rand___ » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:22 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:

Our glut of bigs is pretty overrated. Outside of Embiid/Saric/Holmes, we don't have much depth in terms of big bodies if you take into account Okafor's questionable future.

Why not stash a 7'2" mobile young big man for a few years If you think he has upside?

Simmons is 7'0" if you forgot xD. And don't forget Bolden you just got in 2nd round. The league is moving away from bigs towards smaller lineups unless they're like Markkenen - mobile and shoots 3s.

Gosh Embiid/Saric/Simmons/Okafor/Holmes. That's a lot of trees on the court!
___Rand___
General Manager

Post#36 » by ___Rand___ » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:26 pm

He's shooting 58% from threes. BRING HIM HERE ALREADY! xD

There's another reason to bring him over. He's not getting on the floor with his euro team. Bad sign. And that's not even a top team in Spanish league. Put him on the D league roster and let him develop. But given the depth in this year's draft, sixers could have used another NBA ready player.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#37 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Seems like he was on other GM's radars, otherwise I'm not sure we wouldve felt it necessary to move up to take him.

Wouldn't surprise me if San Antonio had him targeted at 29. They've always been adept at finding value upside prospects with their later picks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#38 » by smittybanton » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:39 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:

Simmons is 7'0" if you forgot xD. And don't forget Bolden you just got in 2nd round. The league is moving away from bigs towards smaller lineups unless they're like Markkenen - mobile and shoots 3s.

Gosh Embiid/Saric/Simmons/Okafor/Holmes. That's a lot of trees on the court!

On a fifteen man roster, Golden State has two players shorter than 6'7--Steph Curry and Ian Clark. Last year, the same. The only two players shorter than 6'7 were Curry and Leandro Barbosa. Smallball does not mean eschewing size. It means practically everyone on the floor has guard skills and plays how guards used to. Lest we forget GS's small forward is seven-feet tall.

Pasecniks is 7'2 and handles the ball in a guard-like fashion. Makes him exciting.

Moreover, Okafor and Holmes can be traded and improved upon. Actually, they must be if we're serious about a chip.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,491

Post#39 » by Hipster Doofus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Who knows how long Okafor will stay around. Might as well grab a kid and keep him in Europe for a couple of years until Jahlil's situation clears up.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#40 » by Unbreakable99 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:05 pm

I don't like that he can't rebound or block shots. They are prerequisites for playing Center. He seems a little weak too. He's like a taller thinner version of Okafor with less low post offense polish lol. On the other hand after looking at clips I do like the way he moves. He moves very well for a big man. I love how he seems to be a very good rim runner and can be a very good roll man off the pick. He has range and can shoot. I don't hate this pick but I don't love it. I understand it. He fits in today's NBA where your big man has to be able shoot and roll off the picks. He does both. His defense seems like a problem. I think he can be useful for us.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers