ImageImageImage

EAGLES WIN SUPER BOWL LII! 2018 CHAMPS!!!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,756

Re: EAGLES WIN SUPER BOWL LII! 2018 CHAMPS!!! 

Post#701 » by the_process » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:03 am

Rumors of AJ Brown to NE.

AJ, 22, and 50 to NE for 3 and 137.

Draft Marvin Harrison Jr, then the best DB on the board at 53.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,090

Post#702 » by Embiid P » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:09 am

the_process wrote:Rumors of AJ Brown to NE.

Why would a rebuilding team like NE want AJ and his contract? I can't imagine he'd be happy to spend the rest of his prime there either with an unknown QB situation. Marvin Harrison Jr. will likely be a stud (like his father) but that's a lot to give up and would likely require more (I'm thinking both seconds this year and/or a first next year). When was the last time a team made that dramatic of a jump in the first round and it panned out for them especially for a non-QB?
the_process
RealGM

Post#703 » by the_process » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 pm

Embiid P wrote:

Why would a rebuilding team like NE want AJ and his contract? I can't imagine he'd be happy to spend the rest of his prime there either with an unknown QB situation. Marvin Harrison Jr. will likely be a stud (like his father) but that's a lot to give up and would likely require more (I'm thinking both seconds this year and/or a first next year). When was the last time a team made that dramatic of a jump in the first round and it panned out for them especially for a non-QB?

:lol: Just mentioning the rumor, not saying it's the best plan.

There is a logic, however, to dropping back into the later 1st and picking up additional assets if the guy they're targeting at QB is not Drake Maye. Nix and Penix will both still be there at 22, for example. Possible that McCarthy is, too.

A guy like AJ could certainly give a big target to the young QB and make his life easier. AJ also draws all the coverage.

As far as value, if you peg AJ as a mid first rounder (15), then the value on the chart matches exactly. If NE disagrees on that value, you move on.

I'm certainly not saying this is the best plan for NE, just saying there is logic to it.

If I'm Howie, I'm listening on 22 to any team who wants one of the 2nd tier QBs. Very willing to move out to grab an additional 1st next year.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,979

Post#704 » by mjkvol » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:00 pm

Wouldn't it be something if the Eagles did that deal and drafted a QB, then turned around and got a late 1st back for Hurts? It would be a hell of a ballsy move.

The way he plays, Hurts is only going to be more injury prone as time goes on. I could even see them drafting a QB to sit for a couple of years, or sooner if they decided to move Hurts.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
the_process
RealGM

Post#705 » by the_process » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:53 pm

mjkvol wrote:

Wouldn't it be something if the Eagles did that deal and drafted a QB, then turned around and got a late 1st back for Hurts? It would be a hell of a ballsy move.

The way he plays, Hurts is only going to be more injury prone as time goes on. I could even see them drafting a QB to sit for a couple of years, or sooner if they decided to move Hurts.

I would much rather trade up for Marvin.

Your concern about Hurts certainly played in to their trade for Kenny Pickett.

They could probably get 23 from Minnesota for Hurts.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#706 » by mjkvol » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:01 pm

the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

They aren't winning a title right now - next year looks like a reset at the least. To me, if you can get off the Hurts contract and build around a stud rookie QB like Maye or Daniels, that's the way to go. Give the ball to Pickett this year, and set yourself up asset-wise to really make noise next season, and in 2-3 years you're ready to really compete again.

The worst mistake is to hold on to an aging group too long trying for one more push. We've seen it with the 2011-12 Phils, and saw it with the post-SB Eagles in 2018. Get out now while some of these vets have value, and build around young guys like Smith.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,058

Post#707 » by Sixerscan » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:46 pm

They’re not trading hurts. He’s 25 years old idk what that has to do with the Phillies. He’s 2 years older than Daniels. He’s 3 months older than Devonta.

If they wanted to trade Hurts they would have done it in the beginning of the offseason. You don’t sign a bunch of guys to contracts then decide to do something like that. I don’t think it’s even possible now capwise.

Guessing anyone that would want to trade hurts probably wouldn’t haven given him the contract in the first place.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#708 » by Embiid P » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:08 pm

mjkvol wrote:
the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

They aren't winning a title right now - next year looks like a reset at the least. To me, if you can get off the Hurts contract and build around a stud rookie QB like Maye or Daniels, that's the way to go. Give the ball to Pickett this year, and set yourself up asset-wise to really make noise next season, and in 2-3 years you're ready to really compete again.

The worst mistake is to hold on to an aging group too long trying for one more push. We've seen it with the 2011-12 Phils, and saw it with the post-SB Eagles in 2018. Get out now while some of these vets have value, and build around young guys like Smith.

Aside from Lane (Howie will likely draft his replacement in the first or second round), BG (he already confirmed this to be his last season), Slay (also likely to have his replacement drafted early) and Bradberry (who may still be gone before the start of the season), what aging players do they have? Both Kelce and Cox retired, and Reddick was traded to the Jets to avoid having to pay him big money. As Sixerscan stated, none of the moves they made thus far indicate this will be a reset year.

As far as Hurts goes, it's a little too soon to give up on him IMO, especially now that he has a star RB and competent OC to take pressure off him. Given those things, I say let's see if he can regain his 2022 form before trading him.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#709 » by mjkvol » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:40 pm

Embiid P wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
the_process wrote:

Aside from Lane (Howie will likely draft his replacement in the first or second round), BG (he already confirmed this to be his last season), Slay (also likely to have his replacement drafted early) and Bradberry (who may still be gone before the start of the season), what aging players do they have? Both Kelce and Cox retired, and Reddick was traded to the Jets to avoid having to pay him big money. As Sixerscan stated, none of the moves they made thus far indicate this will be a reset year.

As far as Hurts goes, it's a little too soon to give up on him IMO, especially now that he has a star RB and competent OC to take pressure off him. Given those things, I say let's see if he can regain his 2022 form before trading him.

All I'll say is, teams that wait too long to pull the plug usually pay dearly. Graham is probably worthless in value at this point, but I'd get something for Slay while I still can. It's clear that Roseman is 'resetting', but if he actually does have a chance to get a franchise QB of the future for a highly paid 30+ yr. old WR, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 659

Post#710 » by HardenToSixers » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 pm

wtf is this stupidity
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#711 » by mjkvol » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:02 pm

R.I.P. the great Roman Gabriel.

Those Eagles 'Fire High Gang" teams with Gabe throwing to Harold Carmichael, Don Zimmerman, and Charle Young are some of my fondest early memories of Eagles football. Gabe was a HOFer in every regard besides championships. Rest in peace.
the_process
RealGM

Post#712 » by the_process » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:41 pm

Apparently the league is set to announce tampering penalties on ATL and PHI before the draft tomorrow? And something about the league might force swap the Falcons and Vikings in the 1st round? That would be a pretty big punishment.

Even losing a sixth rounder because James Franklin is an idiot would be extremely annoying and would be yet another reason why dude needs to lose his job.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,910

Post#713 » by Negrodamus » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:31 am

Are we drafting a DB or are we going to continue to get toasted on pass defense?
the_process
RealGM

Post#714 » by the_process » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:39 am

They should take a DB here. All of them are still on the board, they have their choice of the litter,
the_process
RealGM

Post#715 » by the_process » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:40 am

Btw, why did they extend AJ? There’s a very low chance he’s still an Eagle in six years. Wasteful when they need to be investing in defense.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#716 » by Embiid P » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:07 am

We got the guy who many consider to be the best CB in the draft and was projected to go in the early teens in Quinyon Mitchell. The main knock on him is that he went to a smaller school in Toledo but he's faced the likes of Marvin Harrison, Jr. At the very least, it's bye bye Bradberry.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#717 » by Embiid P » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:24 am

the_process wrote:Btw, why did they extend AJ? There’s a very low chance he’s still an Eagle in six years. Wasteful when they need to be investing in defense.

Most of our defensive players are gonna be on rookie deals for the next 4-5 years so AJ will probably be gone by the time we gotta pay them.
the_process
RealGM

Post#718 » by the_process » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:32 am

Embiid P wrote:
the_process wrote:Btw, why did they extend AJ? There’s a very low chance he’s still an Eagle in six years. Wasteful when they need to be investing in defense.

Most of our defensive players are gonna be on rookie deals for the next 4-5 years so AJ will probably be gone by the time we gotta pay them.

Wouldn’t mind them trading 53 and a 2nd next year to get back up in the first and take DeJean. They could probably finagle a third back from BAL?

Something like 30 and 93 for 53 and 2025 2nd?
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#719 » by Embiid P » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:57 am

the_process wrote:
Embiid P wrote:

Wouldn’t mind them trading 53 and a 2nd next year to get back up in the first and take DeJean. They could probably finagle a third back from BAL?

I think they're officially set at the secondary for the next few seasons with Mitchell, Ringo, CJGJ, Sydney Brown, Blankenship and Rodgers. If I'm trading up for a guy named Cooper in the second, it would be for Edgerrin Cooper, who is a beast and immediately fills a position of need and is likely to be gone by the time they pick again at 50 and 53.
the_process
RealGM

Post#720 » by the_process » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:33 pm

Embiid P wrote:
the_process wrote:
Embiid P wrote:

I think they're officially set at the secondary for the next few seasons with Mitchell, Ringo, CJGJ, Sydney Brown, Blankenship and Rodgers. If I'm trading up for a guy named Cooper in the second, it would be for Edgerrin Cooper, who is a beast and immediately fills a position of need and is likely to be gone by the time they pick again at 50 and 53.

Rogers is a return guy and Blankenship is depth, not a starter.

I'm good with a LB, but not convinced Howie is actually gonna take one.

Also: I want to add here just how terrible the ATL pick was. Pissed off their big name FA QB before he even stepped in the building AND they didn't even get the best QB on the board at the time! :lol: Just absolutely terrible work by the Falcons.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers