ImageImageImage

EAGLES WIN SUPER BOWL LII! 2018 CHAMPS!!!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Re: EAGLES WIN SUPER BOWL LII! 2018 CHAMPS!!! 

Post#621 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:26 pm

Guessing the whole coaching staff gets thrown out, what a mess.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,148

Post#622 » by Arsenal » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:42 pm

the_process wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
the_process wrote:
No, the 1994 Eagles were worse than this. So this is the 2nd worst Eagles collapse of all time.

I understand the complexion of the team isn’t 100% the same, but to go from the favorite in the SB against the Chiefs all the way to right now, I can’t even comprehend the collapse. Yea, their early season wins were not decisive, but they beat the Bills, Chiefs… there was reason for optimism. Hopefully one of these old guys retires and sheds some light on what happened.

News is slowly leaking out that Kelce said his goodbyes after the game. Assuming Juergens slides over and is competent, now they need another guard too.

Hopefully Jurgens is better at C than at RG where he was mediocre this year. But he's young and should improve.

We drafted Tyler Steen in the 3rd last year, and he should be the starter at RG next year. Although he was inactive most games down the stretch which isn't a good sign.

We really need to hammer high picks all over our D. That side of the ball is devoid of talent. We can find OL depth later in the draft.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#623 » by Skates » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:08 pm

This was the weirdest football season I can ever recall seeing for the Eagles or anyone else. I am a legacy Cowboys fan inherited from my Mom, but any logical fan of that team (and I know, there aren't many), were not surprised by the outcome in Dallas this year. Quinn is a vastly overrated DC whose defenses beat up on weak offenses and can't stop the run against any good offense that can protect its QB and run the ball, so all of the Shanahan-like offenses destroy them and McCarthy is a soft coach with mediocre tendencies and clock management issues who tries to be innovative and usually just outsmarts himself. That team in that market only truly thrives with a hardnosed coach like Landry, Parcells or Johnson who can get them to stop playing as individuals. So whether this week or next, the Dallas collapse was utterly inevitable and logical.

The way the Eagles fell apart was baffling (other than Matt Patricia destroying the good in anything he touches, that was totally predictable). I expected a step back early on with guys lost in FA and both coordinators gone, but they played better than expected wins and losses wise, I think with the vet players making up for any coaching deficiencies. The loss to SF was legit, the Niners are ridiculously good and the Boys and Eagles usually split the season series. I agree with all the observers that the offensive play design was terrible, with all of those vertical routes against blitz packages that gave Hurts nowhere to throw a hot read. Hurts is still a really good QB and most of the league would covet him.

The team just looked dead in spirit the last bit of the year and last night, I'm not sure what conflicts and discord is going on in that locker rooms and with the coaching staff, but it is something major. Some trust was lost, teams that talented don't go that bad so fast without total disconnects somewhere along the line.

Looking at the entire NFL this year, I think teams are going to have to re-examine their lack of emphasis on running backs and especially linebackers. Baltimore and SF are big on both and look to be the class of the league by far.

And if I was looking for a coach this year, Vrabel would be my top choice over the corpse of Belichick and ego of Harbaugh.

Peace out and back to our regularly scheduled Sixers needing to add some pieces programming.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,075

Post#624 » by Embiid P » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:06 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
the_process wrote:According to Tankathon, the Eagles have 9 picks in the draft. Howie should only have 5 positions on the draft board: OG, OT, LB, CB, and S.

How did Byard suddenly suck btw?

The veteran in season trades have sucked since Jay Ajjayi. We've been a little better off the scrap heap with Suh and Joesph.

I agree but I won't believe Howie will use a real pick on a LB till I see it. Dean just dropped forever and those results, lets be kind, have been mixed.

Same. I think Howie is more likely to address the LB positions in free agency with whatever cap space we have left after releasing Bradberry than he is to take one high in the draft.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#625 » by Embiid P » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:20 am

So apparently after meeting with management, Sirianni is expected to retain his job (as I predicted) and will assist Roseman in finding new coordinators on both sides of the ball. Take it for what it's worth.

In positive news, Dallas is also expected to retain Mike McCarthy. Sorry Skates.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#626 » by SixthStreet » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:24 am

I think it's the right move to keep Sirianni for one more year as long as he's open to staff changes. But offensively I hope they really give the keys to an up and comer, and not shoehorn someone into Sirianni's offense. Sirianni needs to fully commit to the CEO position. Defensively my preference is for a more aggressive scheme. It seems Roseman prefers the bend and bend some more philosophy but it's time for a change.
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,263

Post#627 » by bball4life » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:30 am

I get it but I’m really concerned. The team quit on him. That’s alarmingly bad. This playoff game they tackled like it was a scrimmage. Not sure how you come back from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#628 » by Embiid P » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:42 am

bball4life wrote:I get it but I’m really concerned. The team quit on him. That’s alarmingly bad. This playoff game they tackled like it was a scrimmage. Not sure how you come back from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW Cox, who may or may not be back next season, and Reddick both gave ringing endorsements for Sirianni after the playoff loss. I get that nobody wants to throw him under the bus publicly but thus far not a single player has come out and hinted that he should be fired.

I'm sure that there are some players in the locker room who are currently disgruntled with the schemes and play calling on both sides of the ball but if Roseman and Sirianni can sell them on the new coordinators maybe they can get them to want to stay to see how it plays out. Not to mention they're going to need some serious personnel changes particularly on defense so it's not all on coaching and scheme.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,756

Post#629 » by Sixersftw » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:08 pm

I just don't get it. The coaching candidates will never be this good. Both the retreads and the ascending coordinators are top notch. This is a missed opportunity of the highest order. Lurie's biggest one in a while.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#630 » by SixthStreet » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:23 pm

Even if he fired Sirianni everyone would whine about who he hired. He’s never hired anyone that had another interview in the same hiring cycle so he wouldn’t be hiring one of the “names”.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,920

Post#631 » by mjkvol » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:43 am

Sorry, but I'll never understand the idea of keeping a coach but cutting his balls off by choosing his coordinators. It has never worked and it never will. You hire a coach for his vision, scheme, and plan for running the team, and that includes picking his own staff to fulfill his vision. Instead, you're going to point a gun at Sirianni's head and say "do it our way and you can keep your job". Anybody want to guess how short his leash is going to be?

And what the f***k does Howie Roseman know about hiring coordinators? Is he also going to be in on putting together the game plan and halftime adjustments? The whole thing is a joke. Once Sirianni was forced to change his d-coordinator, he was finished here. 2024 was always going to be a transition season, and this cements it - he'll be gone before the season ends.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#632 » by Arsenal » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:54 am

Lurie and Howie want a puppet so they can call the shots. The moment Doug wanted to hire his own staff he was canned. I assume Nick will allow the front office to continue running things from behind the curtain if he gets to stay.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,108

Post#633 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:26 pm

Just goes to show you how lockerroom leadership doesn't mean anything.

Having Jason Kelce, Lane Johnson, Fletcher Cox, and Brandon Graham didn't prevent the players in the lockerroom on both sides of the ball from giving up.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#634 » by mjkvol » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:40 pm

Arsenal wrote:Lurie and Howie want a puppet so they can call the shots. The moment Doug wanted to hire his own staff he was canned. I assume Nick will allow the front office to continue running things from behind the curtain if he gets to stay.

Sad, but that clearly seems to be the case. Roseman, as good a job as he did building last year's team, has always been a power mongering little weasel with the advantage of being Lurie's right hand man. What on earth could he possibly add to a coordinator hiring process?

I totally respect Pederson for standing up to that garbage. A Super Bowl winning coach being told what coaches he can and can't work with? If Sirianni really believes that allowing Roseman to meddle in the scheming and running of the football team is going to insure him of any job stability, just wait and see how a 3-5 start affects that.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#635 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:42 pm

That's not really what happened with Doug. It was more that after the 2020 disaster they told him to dump Press Taylor (who is obviously Doug's guy since he's still with him today and was basically the only coach not fired when Jax cleaned house earlier this offseason) he refused.

Wrong fight to pick: Doug Pederson basically lost his job because he wanted Press Taylor to be his offensive coordinator

IDK why Howie wouldn't be qualified to hire an OC I'm sure he was deeply involved with bringing Reich and Steichen in.

Nick knew the situation he was walking into when he took the job. If he's keeping it (which I don't think is a given) he's gotta play the game.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#636 » by Arsenal » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:59 pm

Sixerscan wrote:That's not really what happened with Doug. It was more that after the 2020 disaster they told him to dump Press Taylor (who is obviously Doug's guy since he's still with him today and was basically the only coach not fired when Jax cleaned house earlier this offseason) he refused.

Wrong fight to pick: Doug Pederson basically lost his job because he wanted Press Taylor to be his offensive coordinator

IDK why Howie wouldn't be qualified to hire an OC I'm sure he was deeply involved with bringing Reich and Steichen in.

Nick knew the situation he was walking into when he took the job. If he's keeping it (which I don't think is a given) he's gotta play the game.

Apparently Howie was also responsible for hiring Patricia and forcing him into the DC role 2/3rds of the way through the season.

LIke I said, if Nick stays it's because he's okay with Howie and/or Lurie pulling the strings behind the scenes.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#637 » by Embiid P » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:17 pm

Lurie and Roseman are both terrified of another Chip Kelly type situation by giving a coach too much control over personnel decisions. Just because it blew up in their face once doesn't mean that it will happen every time.

It was mostly successful under Reid. We just weren't able to win it all.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#638 » by mjkvol » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:13 pm

Embiid P wrote:Lurie and Roseman are both terrified of another Chip Kelly type situation by giving a coach too much control over personnel decisions. Just because it blew up in their face once doesn't mean that it will happen every time.

It was mostly successful under Reid. We just weren't able to win it all.

To me, it's simple - if you believe in a coach enough to have him running the team, he should be the one that hires the staff he will have to work with 24-7 for 8-9 months a year. If you are questioning his competence in that regard, fire him and hire a coach you can trust. Roseman should stick to the cap and trades, and let his coaches coach and his scouts rate the talent.

Regarding Reid, they just kept him about 5-6 years too long.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,861

Post#639 » by Phila Tough » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:29 pm

Lions winning it all is definitely best case scenario now. That city needs something the root for. I wouldn't mind for the Bills to finally push through either
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#640 » by Embiid P » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:01 am

Phila Tough wrote:Lions winning it all is definitely best case scenario now. That city needs something the root for. I wouldn't mind for the Bills to finally push through either

Agreed. I'd be so happy if they at least took out the Whiners next week who BTW got extremely lucky vs. the Packers.

In other news, Desai (and presumably Patricia) is officially out as Eagles DC. They're gonna hold off to see what happens to BJ. Hopefully some team hires him so that we get two extra 3rd round picks per the Rooney rule.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers