ImageImageImage

EAGLES WIN SUPER BOWL LII! 2018 CHAMPS!!!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Re: EAGLES WIN SUPER BOWL LII! 2018 CHAMPS!!! 

Post#641 » by SixthStreet » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:20 am

No one is interviewing Brian Johnson to legitimately consider him as HC. It's all a Rooney rule farce.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,075

Post#642 » by Embiid P » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:38 pm

SixthStreet wrote:No one is interviewing Brian Johnson to legitimately consider him as HC. It's all a Rooney rule farce.

I mean the Eagles' late season collapse certainly did him no favors but if he can successfully convince some gullible front office that it was more Sirianni's doing than his own, they might fall for it. It's probably just wishful thinking on my part though. :pray:
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,263

Post#643 » by bball4life » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:04 pm

Honestly, the offense was more disappointing than the defense this year. The defense was clearly a talent deficiency (Howie's fault) whereas the offense was a scheme problem. For instance Blankenship wasn't good enough to start for the Eagles until this year, and he didn't miraculously become a good player. Multiple experts called the eagles offense predictable this year. If they don't replace Brian as the O coordinator next year will be terrible regardless of what happens on defense.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#644 » by Embiid P » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:30 pm

bball4life wrote:Honestly, the offense was more disappointing than the defense this year. The defense was clearly a talent deficiency (Howie's fault) whereas the offense was a scheme problem. For instance Blankenship wasn't good enough to start for the Eagles until this year, and he didn't miraculously become a good player. Multiple experts called the eagles offense predictable this year. If they don't replace Brian as the O coordinator next year will be terrible regardless of what happens on defense.

Oh, I'm fairly certain he's gone either way. It's just a question of how it will happen.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,595

Post#645 » by Iverson Armband » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:38 pm

bball4life wrote:Honestly, the offense was more disappointing than the defense this year. The defense was clearly a talent deficiency (Howie's fault) whereas the offense was a scheme problem. For instance Blankenship wasn't good enough to start for the Eagles until this year, and he didn't miraculously become a good player. Multiple experts called the eagles offense predictable this year. If they don't replace Brian as the O coordinator next year will be terrible regardless of what happens on defense.

Blankenship is a 2nd year player.
always a jump shot away.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,919

Post#646 » by mjkvol » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:54 pm

Embiid P wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:No one is interviewing Brian Johnson to legitimately consider him as HC. It's all a Rooney rule farce.

I mean the Eagles' late season collapse certainly did him no favors but if he can successfully convince some gullible front office that it was more Sirianni's doing than his own, they might fall for it. It's probably just wishful thinking on my part though. :pray:

Think about what we're looking at here - a completely emasculated "head coach" being directed by an owner and his bean counter who he has to fire and hire to run "his" system next season? There is less than zero chance of Sirianni lasting the year, because he knows and the players know he is a dead man walking. Just fire the guy and be done with it, but they're probably trying to get him to quit so they aren't paying him.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#647 » by Embiid P » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:56 am

mjkvol wrote:
Embiid P wrote:

Think about what we're looking at here - a completely emasculated "head coach" being directed by an owner and his bean counter who he has to fire and hire to run "his" system next season? There is less than zero chance of Sirianni lasting the year, because he knows and the players know he is a dead man walking. Just fire the guy and be done with it, but they're probably trying to get him to quit so they aren't paying him.

The one thing that could save him is if he finds another creative mind like Steichen as OC even though if that happens, they'll likely be some other team's HC in a year or so.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#648 » by mjkvol » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:17 am

Embiid P wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Embiid P wrote:

The one thing that could save him is if he finds another creative mind like Steichen as OC even though if that happens, they'll likely be some other team's HC in a year or so.

There's no saving him. I cannot ever remember a coach in this situation succeeding or even surviving. He has no shot of any trust from the locker room at this point, and that spells doom. He'll be gone before next season is done.

Seriously, it's as if Lurie and Roseman know that 2024 is going to be a transition year to see what they have in Hurts and to start filling holes and transitioning older guys out, and don't want to pay a new coach and Sirianni at the same time.
bball4life
Assistant Coach

Post#649 » by bball4life » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:01 am

Iverson Armband wrote:

Blankenship is a 2nd year player.

Doesn't change the fact he's a below average NFL player
bball4life
Assistant Coach

Post#650 » by bball4life » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:02 am

Kellen Moore???? I guess they're punting the season
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#651 » by Embiid P » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:18 am

bball4life wrote:Kellen Moore???? I guess they're punting the season

Overreaction, much? Dallas ranked near the top of the league in offense under him. At least he won't be any worse than Brian Johnson.

Ditto with Fangio and Desai/Patricia.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#652 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:30 pm

Embiid P wrote:
bball4life wrote:Kellen Moore???? I guess they're punting the season

Overreaction, much? Dallas ranked near the top of the league in offense under him. At least he won't be any worse than Brian Johnson.

Ditto with Fangio and Desai/Patricia.

Any coordinators taking the Eagles job are getting a jump start on auditioning for the head job when Sirianni gets axed sometime in '24, like sharks circling in the water. I give it a less than 25% chance he lasts the season, which is a transition year anyway.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#653 » by Kobblehead » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:50 pm

It's not unprecedented that a coach on the way out salvaged his tenure with a coordinator shakeup. Tom Coughlin in New York comes to mind. Maybe Kellen More can be to Siriani what Kevin Gilbride was to Coughlin.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#654 » by Embiid P » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:53 am

Absolutely brutal choke job by the Lions in the second half. May not watch the SB but I'll begrudgingly root for Andy and the Chiefs.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Post#655 » by the_process » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:55 am

Embiid P wrote:Absolutely brutal choke job by the Lions in the second half. May not watch the SB but I'll begrudgingly root for Andy and the Chiefs.

Lions had their first SB in sight, then pissed it away. The NFL is very convenient that way.

I have zero interest in the Super Bowl.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#656 » by Skates » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:00 am

Campbell is still playing like a gimmick coach when he has a legit team. Should have taken two very makeable field goals and kept the momentum in his team’s favor.

Ravens blew their game by blowing their cool repeatedly and not playing their usual mistake free game.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#657 » by Embiid P » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:04 am

Skates wrote:Campbell is still playing like a gimmick coach when he has a legit team. Should have taken two very makeable field goals and kept the momentum in his team’s favor.

Ravens blew their game by blowing their cool repeatedly and not playing their usual mistake free game.

In hindsight, it's easy to blame Campbell for going for it but if the receivers don't drop even one of those catches or Goff just runs it for a first down, we likely wouldn't be having this conversation.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,724

Post#658 » by 76thBearCub » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:58 am

Yea it'll be on the TV but not excited for KC SF at all.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#659 » by Skates » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:12 am

Embiid P wrote:
Skates wrote:Campbell is still playing like a gimmick coach when he has a legit team. Should have taken two very makeable field goals and kept the momentum in his team’s favor.

In hindsight, it's easy to blame Campbell for going for it but if the receivers don't drop even one of those catches or Goff just runs it for a first down, we likely wouldn't be having this conversation.

It wasn't hindsight, the Lions had the game by the throat and the only way to lose it was to start turning the ball over and those turnovers on downs were very avoidable. I admire Campbell as a coach overall, but the moment he did that the first time I cringed, the second time was just downright terrible. Playing from the lead and making SF constantly feel they were three scores behind with the first one or making the simple decision the second time was common sense. Neither was an analytics based decision, more of a this is what I do thing, problem is his team has grown up and momentum shifted hard on both of those fourth downs.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#660 » by mjkvol » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:14 am

Skates wrote:
Embiid P wrote:

It wasn't hindsight, the Lions had the game by the throat and the only way to lose it was to start turning the ball over and those turnovers on downs were very avoidable. I admire Campbell as a coach overall, but the moment he did that the first time I cringed, the second time was just downright terrible. Playing from the lead and making SF constantly feel they were three scores behind with the first one or making the simple decision the second time was common sense. Neither was an analytics based decision, more of a this is what I do thing, problem is his team has grown up and momentum shifted hard on both of those fourth downs.

I'm generally not a fan of criticizing decisions in hindsight, but I have to agree in this case. Both of those were clearly 'take the points and keep the pressure on' situations, but to not tie the game with your team this close to imploding cannot be justified in any way. At that point, stopping the bleeding had to trump "this is what we do".

Return to Philadelphia 76ers