ImageImageImage

EAGLES WIN SUPER BOWL LII! 2018 CHAMPS!!!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Re: EAGLES WIN SUPER BOWL LII! 2018 CHAMPS!!! 

Post#681 » by the_process » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:57 pm

Embiid P wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Embiid P wrote:
Admittedly I too was against signing Barkley for all of those reasons mentioned, but now that it's officially done, I feel like I'm trying my hardest to rationalize and even defend it. Yes, he's 27 (won't be 28 until January FWIW) and could start to decline at any moment, but if I'm Barkley, I feel a LOT better running behind the Eagles O line (even w/ Kelce retiring) than I did the Giants steaming pile of garbage O line which did me no favors. Plus, with all of the other weapons we have, he won't be asked to carry the whole offense like he did for years with the Giants. Best case scenario IMO is CMC who was also asked to carry the offense during his years in Carolina whose life was made easier due to the other weapons that SF has. Plus, I feel like he'll make Hurts's life a whole lot easier especially in Kellen Moore's offense and punish teams for blitzing him. He's also a MUCH better pass blocker than Swift which was likely a big reason why they let Swift walk. FWIW Swift also has had a reputation for being injury prone despite him being healthy for us all of last season. Like Barkley with the Giants, I'm sure overuse had a lot to do with his injuries in Detroit.

I would've let Swift walk as well. Just too many talented backs in the draft that will be available in the mid-late rounds, and probably as UDFA's. I watched a kid all season at UT named Jaylin Wright that some smart team is going to scoop up in the draft - fast, physical, and an excellent pass blocker. Roseman could ask all the Georgia and Bama guys about this kid.

I do agree that pass blocking was the reason Swift was let go, and probably had a lot to do with the Barkley signing. I just don't believe in today's NFL it is smart to allocate that much to the RB position.

TBH I wouldn't be shocked if Howie still took a RB in the draft as insurance policy in case Barkley doesn't pan out. It's not like he's hurting for picks and will likely acquire more when one or both of Sweat and Reddick are traded.

This is an interesting point. Signing Huff and having drafted Nolan Smith last year would seem to indicate they are ready for new blood.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,842

Post#682 » by Negrodamus » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:30 pm

Hopefully the mileage on Barkley isn't too much and hopefully we go back to what we did during the SB run and run the ball a lot more.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,148

Post#683 » by Arsenal » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:41 pm

the_process wrote:Can't get past feeling like something is rotten in Denmark with this Barkley signing. Went against core philosophy and they just hired a pass happy OC and they already had an issue with touches last year.

But maybe it's simply because Barkley is a very good pass catcher and they also plan on lining him up as the slot receiver?

I don't think so. Lowie ultimately cares about value more than anything. No doubt they've decided that the RB market is so depressed that a guy like Saquon now makes sense at $13m / yr, when stars at other (non-QB) positions are making $30m / yr or more.

Plus we definitely need to lighten Hurts' rushing load and protect him better in the passing game. Saquon if healthy should do both.

It's a calculated gamble and time will tell if they're right or not.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#684 » by Negrodamus » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:08 pm

Will this team ever address DBs in a meaningful way? I feel like we're perpetually lacking talent and depth there.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,075

Post#685 » by Embiid P » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:12 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Will this team ever address DBs in a meaningful way? I feel like we're perpetually lacking talent and depth there.

They were reportedly in the running for McKinney before he signed with GB and are now in the running to sign Justin Simmons or CJGJ.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#686 » by Embiid P » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:26 pm

Looks like they're officially bringing CJGJ back. Wow.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#687 » by Embiid P » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:26 pm

Now, the NFL is looking into potential tampering by the Eagles in signing Barkley. WTF is it with Philly teams and tampering?
the_process
RealGM

Post#688 » by the_process » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:31 pm

Embiid P wrote:Now, the NFL is looking into potential tampering by the Eagles in signing Barkley. WTF is it with Philly teams and tampering?

James Franklin, that hack HC at PSU, said something in an interview about how Saquon told him he had spoken to Howie and was excited about the opportunity in Philly.

So it's a third party account. Saquon also said that Franklin got it wrong. That's not surprising considering he gets his *** kicked by OSU and MI every time they play.
the_process
RealGM

Post#689 » by the_process » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:17 pm

Did I just see the Eagles signed Devin White to a one year deal? Now that's a good signing. CJGJ back will help as well.

They have to be trading Sweat and Reddick.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#690 » by Embiid P » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:15 pm

the_process wrote:Did I just see the Eagles signed Devin White to a one year deal? Now that's a good signing. CJGJ back will help as well.

Apparently Sweat has agreed to re-structure his contract and is now staying. Reddick is likely the odd man out.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#691 » by Embiid P » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:06 pm

Eagles get Kenny Pickett for a third round pick swap and give up a 7th. Guess he's our backup now.
the_process
RealGM

Post#692 » by the_process » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:49 pm

Embiid P wrote:
the_process wrote:Did I just see the Eagles signed Devin White to a one year deal? Now that's a good signing. CJGJ back will help as well.

Apparently Sweat has agreed to re-structure his contract and is now staying. Reddick is likely the odd man out.

I hope they are able to get something good for Reddick.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#693 » by SixthStreet » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:29 pm

I'm thinking it'll be about 4th round value coming back for Reddick. He's going into his age 30 season and requiring about $22m/yr in an extension. That's not really valuable in trade as his production will likely not meet $22m even next year. Might get back even less than 4th round value.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#694 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:12 pm

Goodbye Haason Riddick.

Read on Twitter
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,756

Post#695 » by Sixersftw » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:33 pm

The Pickett and Reddick deals have been very underwhelming.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
the_process
RealGM

Post#696 » by the_process » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:42 pm

Sixersftw wrote:The Pickett and Reddick deals have been very underwhelming.

I'm good with a 2nd for Reddick, which is where I expect that pick to land.

Pickett, I think Howie will try to flip again next summer. The price tag was definitely higher than it should have been, but he was a 1st rounder and QBs are always the first name on the marquee. I also think it's a hedge against Hurts being a one year wonder.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,756

Post#697 » by Sixersftw » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:51 pm

the_process wrote:

Pickett, I think Howie will try to flip again next summer. The price tag was definitely higher than it should have been, but he was a 1st rounder and QBs are always the first name on the marquee. I also think it's a hedge against Hurts being a one year wonder.

Its more the 2026 nature of it. There's usually additional compensation for delayed picks in the NFL.

I just hope Howie flips Pickett. I don't think he's better than Tanner Mckee so I'm not sure about him being a Hedge against Hurts (who I don't think really needs to be hedged against).
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
the_process
RealGM

Post#698 » by the_process » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:27 am

Sixersftw wrote:
the_process wrote:

Its more the 2026 nature of it. There's usually additional compensation for delayed picks in the NFL.

I just hope Howie flips Pickett. I don't think he's better than Tanner Mckee so I'm not sure about him being a Hedge against Hurts (who I don't think really needs to be hedged against).

I definitely think they need to hedge against Hurts. Is Pickett the best for that? Clearly not. But probably the best they could get.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,726

Post#699 » by 76thBearCub » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:26 am

Would've been a great spot for Fields if he's going to be a backup. Probably gets more opportunities quicker in Pittsburgh I guess.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#700 » by Embiid P » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:32 am

Sixersftw wrote:
the_process wrote:

It sucks it was a 2026 pick but that's probably the best they were gonna get for Reddick. It was either gonna be a worse pick now (think a 4th rounder or lower) or a better pick later. Howie obviously chose the latter which is fine by me.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers