ImageImageImage

Welcome Zhaire Smith

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1381 » by phillynative » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:37 pm

How did he sprain ankle i saw him for one or two possessions the whole game. Jeez
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#1382 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:57 pm

Limited run, but he didn't hurt us. Shifts his body well defensively and did a good job cutting/moving without the ball.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#1383 » by rzzzzz » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:15 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Limited run, but he didn't hurt us. Shifts his body well defensively and did a good job cutting/moving without the ball.

nothing wrong with his mechanics. if he can finish and splash as much as he did at Texas Tech, he'll be great.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#1384 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:37 pm

I liked the confidence he showed in shooting the ball from anywhere on the floor. Limited sample size of course, but he jacked a catch and shoot 3 without hesitation, he drove into the paint and stepped back into a fadeaway jumper with confidence. He finished at the rim and tried to a 2nd time.

Overall I'd like to see more of him out there running with Matisse, Ben and Embiid to see what that defense looks like, and how Zhaire and Matisse would space the floor.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#1385 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:16 pm

There were a few possessions where he was absolutely lockdown defensively. Looks really good. I would keep him up with the big squad and gradually fade Ennis out.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#1386 » by smittybanton » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:04 pm

given how little teams are rumored to be offering for auxiliary chips--i hear pistons can't get a first for andre drummond--it would be nice to make a deal without including zhaire. optimal situation is acquiring a guard still on his rookie deal like josh hart for picks (and jonah bolden). or do we sit pat and just pick up jamal crawford for the spring run? the ol' robert horry special. lol. we'll find out soon enough.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Post#1387 » by phillynative » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:45 pm

He has a ways ago and alot of comp. Shake, Furkan, Matisse ...
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#1388 » by rzzzzz » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:09 pm

So is Zhaire suiting up against us tomorrow? 10 day contract with Cleveland. Such a long shot, but he’s spent a long time getting back even this far.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,939

Post#1389 » by Foshan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:05 am

yeah, i feel i gotta route for the kid for the hard road he's walked... even though i wish we hadn't traded for him
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,518

Post#1390 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:01 pm

I'm rooting for him. I did just spend about ten minutes scrolling through the comments dating back to when we first drafted him. Kobblehead was right about him, most of us were just hyped.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,919

Post#1391 » by mjkvol » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:01 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I'm rooting for him. I did just spend about ten minutes scrolling through the comments dating back to when we first drafted him. Kobblehead was right about him, most of us were just hyped.

Not all of us. To me, aside from signing Harris and hiring Glenn, the Bridges trade was the biggest gaffe of the entire Process because it was such an unforced error, even at the time. To trade an NBA ready player at a position of great need for a raw project is the height of management incompetence, pick or no pick. Still pisses me off.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,425

Post#1392 » by Jailblazers7 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:07 pm

I’m sure Zhaire wishes we never traded for him too. Maybe then he would’ve avoided an assassination attempt & had a normal career.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,568

Post#1393 » by 76ciology » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:11 pm

There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,148

Post#1394 » by Arsenal » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:46 pm

mjkvol wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I'm rooting for him. I did just spend about ten minutes scrolling through the comments dating back to when we first drafted him. Kobblehead was right about him, most of us were just hyped.

Not all of us. To me, aside from signing Harris and hiring Glenn, the Bridges trade was the biggest gaffe of the entire Process because it was such an unforced error, even at the time. To trade an NBA ready player at a position of great need for a raw project is the height of management incompetence, pick or no pick. Still pisses me off.

It’s because the idiots were obsessed with “star hunting.” They coveted that MIA unprotected pick as currency for a star trade.

Then they ended up giving it away in the trade for Tobias Harris.
seventy6ers
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#1395 » by seventy6ers » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:18 pm

Arsenal wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

It’s because the idiots were obsessed with “star hunting.” They coveted that MIA unprotected pick as currency for a star trade.

I remember Brett Brown saying how he sees some aspects of Kawhi in him.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Post#1396 » by the_process » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:01 pm

Arsenal wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

First, they made the wrong pick. SGA was sitting there at 10. I know he said he wanted LA, take him anyway and force the hand. He's fine with OKC now.

Second, they made a solid trade value wise, but then flubbed the 16th pick by taking Zhaire. So now they picked the wrong guy twice in the same draft.

Then they completely squandered the Miami pick for Tobias, because Elton knew they weren't going to keep Jimmy and got nervous to bring in another guy.

:lol:

Just an absolute ****show.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,595

Post#1397 » by Iverson Armband » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:09 pm

Who did that Miami pick eventually turn in to?
always a jump shot away.
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#1398 » by PhillyFan11 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:25 pm

Iverson Armband wrote:Who did that Miami pick eventually turn in to?

Damn near need a forensic degree to track that pick…but believe it was Tre Mann. Jalen and Keon Johnson were the 2 picks after
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,518

Post#1399 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:36 pm

mjkvol wrote:

I have about 9-10 college teams I follow throughout the season. Depending on how they are doing, I pick one or two and ride with them for the year. Tennessee, Villanova, Arizona, Wisconsin, Kansas, Gonzaga, Pitt, Indiana, Syracuse, and Saint Joseph's...Having lived or spent time in most of these areas, I have picked up some love for these teams. The point was, that I knew who Mikel Bridges was. I thought he was a hand-in-glove fit for us. I had no clue who Zhaire Smith was and I was upset after we had traded Bridges for him. I was ecstatic when we drafted Bridges, but it didn't last long obviously. The pick made perfect sense, the trade had me asking WTF? I even got my head bit off on this forum about it at the time. It is a shame that Smith did not work out. Kobblehead kept saying "This guy can't dribble, he can't handle, and he can't really shoot." I do remember that I did being to lobby pretty hard for Smith. I mean, I've always wanted our draft picks to work out. Fultz was burning us pretty bad around that time too, TLC had done nothing and neither had Korklord. I eventually talked myself into believing that Smith would be something for us all the way up until the point where we traded him for nothing in return.
Looking back, I think it was a classic example of the team getting too cute at the time. We were loaded with talent back then (or so it seemed). We definitely took having a top 10 pick in the draft for granted. I would love to have a top ten pick again. I think the team had a good idea with the trade, but boy did Brown and Brands screw that up. That was a pretty damn good draft too looking back on it. Lots of solid players came out of the draft. 6-7 all stars, and most likely 2, possibly 3 league MVPs came out of that draft )Shai, Luka, and Brunson).
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,919

Post#1400 » by mjkvol » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:59 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I have about 9-10 college teams I follow throughout the season. Depending on how they are doing, I pick one or two and ride with them for the year. Tennessee, Villanova, Arizona, Wisconsin, Kansas, Gonzaga, Pitt, Indiana, Syracuse, and Saint Joseph's...Having lived or spent time in most of these areas, I have picked up some love for these teams. The point was, that I knew who Mikel Bridges was. I thought he was a hand-in-glove fit for us. I had no clue who Zhaire Smith was and I was upset after we had traded Bridges for him. I was ecstatic when we drafted Bridges, but it didn't last long obviously. The pick made perfect sense, the trade had me asking WTF? I even got my head bit off on this forum about it at the time. It is a shame that Smith did not work out. Kobblehead kept saying "This guy can't dribble, he can't handle, and he can't really shoot." I do remember that I did being to lobby pretty hard for Smith. I mean, I've always wanted our draft picks to work out. Fultz was burning us pretty bad around that time too, TLC had done nothing and neither had Korklord. I eventually talked myself into believing that Smith would be something for us all the way up until the point where we traded him for nothing in return.
Looking back, I think it was a classic example of the team getting too cute at the time. We were loaded with talent back then (or so it seemed). We definitely took having a top 10 pick in the draft for granted. I would love to have a top ten pick again. I think the team had a good idea with the trade, but boy did Brown and Brands screw that up. That was a pretty damn good draft too looking back on it. Lots of solid players came out of the draft. 6-7 all stars, and most likely 2, possibly 3 league MVPs came out of that draft )Shai, Luka, and Brunson).

Too cute and overthinking it, trying to be the smartest guys in the room. I don't begrudge not taking SGA because of how he insisted on L.A. and I wanted Bridges in that spot anyway.

I've always followed two teams closely, UT and Villanova, although not so much after Jay retired. That Nova team was loaded, I loved Bridges, Brunson, and Spellman in that draft, but thought DiVincenzo should've stayed for another year. Still can't believe Brunson was a 2nd round pick, I'd have taken him in a heartbeat.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin

Return to Philadelphia 76ers