ImageImageImage

Welcome Zhaire Smith

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1401 » by rzzzzz » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:49 pm

Actually no surprise that Brett made the deal. He had brought in Zhaire for at least two pre-draft work outs. (Did he bring in the other Bridges as well?). Voted “most athletic” by the rest of the rookie class (however that’s done). And, of course, some of us (no names) congratulated the “Hinkie” move of acquiring the pick. Still a stinking thing to do for the hometown Bridges, especially considering his mom’s relationship with the organization. Of course, now we have Mo Bomba, who went 6 in the draft.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,040

Post#1402 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:04 pm

We have made some bad moves, and this one is right up there. Having SGA and Maxey in the backcourt together.

Geez, I need a drink.....I'm still pissed off to all hell about this BS
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,868

Post#1403 » by Stanford » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:05 pm

Still okay with the trade because of all the people who cried about how thoughtless it was to trade a hometown kid on draft day. His mom works for the team :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,148

Post#1404 » by Arsenal » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:05 pm

rzzzzz wrote:Actually no surprise that Brett made the deal. He had brought in Zhaire for at least two pre-draft work outs. (Did he bring in the other Bridges as well?). Voted “most athletic” by the rest of the rookie class (however that’s done). And, of course, some of us (no names) congratulated the “Hinkie” move of acquiring the pick. Still a stinking thing to do for the hometown Bridges, especially considering his mom’s relationship with the organization. Of course, now we have Mo Bomba, who went 6 in the draft.

The derailment of The Process is bad karma from our crimes on 2018 draft night.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,755

Post#1405 » by phillynative » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:14 pm

Arsenal wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:Actually no surprise that Brett made the deal. He had brought in Zhaire for at least two pre-draft work outs. (Did he bring in the other Bridges as well?). Voted “most athletic” by the rest of the rookie class (however that’s done). And, of course, some of us (no names) congratulated the “Hinkie” move of acquiring the pick. Still a stinking thing to do for the hometown Bridges, especially considering his mom’s relationship with the organization. Of course, now we have Mo Bomba, who went 6 in the draft.

The decision making during Embiids tenure has been nothing short of egregious.

I would bet there will be a document down the line on this if Embiid doesn't win one here.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Post#1406 » by the_process » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:51 pm

Arsenal wrote:

Draft night 2016 was almost as bad. And I'm not even talking about Simmons, although I certainly could.

This team has taken every opportunity to **** **** up.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#1407 » by rzzzzz » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:52 pm

phillynative wrote:The decision making during Embiids tenure has been nothing short of egregious.

I like Elton’s first shot at dealing. Jimmy was a great fit, and even Harris was a decent gamble, prior to the stupid extension.
And Morey got us Maxey.

Otherwise, since Jerry shutdown Sam’s trade of Okafor for Boston’s pick (which turned into Brown) we’ve seen our assets turned into a clown car. Adam Silver IS Nosferatu.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,518

Post#1408 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:06 pm

In 2016 we took TLC and Korkmaz over Brogdan and Dejounte Murray.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,755

Post#1409 » by phillynative » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:20 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
phillynative wrote:The decision making during Embiids tenure has been nothing short of egregious.

I like Elton’s first shot at dealing. Jimmy was a great fit, and even Harris was a decent gamble, prior to the stupid extension.
And Morey got us Maxey.

Otherwise, since Jerry shutdown Sam’s trade of Okafor for Boston’s pick (which turned into Brown) we’ve seen our assets turned into a clown car. Adam Silver IS Nosferatu.

I like that we acquired Jimmy but the roster that we settled on we didn't have enough spacing.

Jimmy is a point forward who is best surrounded by shooters and Embiid also. Though a talented starting lineup Reddick was the only true floor spacer. And our bench was anemic...
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#1410 » by TheBallsDeeper » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:25 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:In 2016 we took TLC and Korkmaz over Brogdan and Dejounte Murray.

Seems Sixers were too busy chasing waterfalls, should have stuck to the rivers and the lakes that we're used to
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,571

Post#1411 » by 76ciology » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:04 am

The trend of drafting guards who can't shoot or score began with MCW. Unfortunately, we didn't learn from our mistake when we drafted MCW, then Ben, then Zhaire, and then Springer.

If we had prioritize scoring skillset for the guard position like other teams, we’re certainly would have end up with atleast CJ Mccullom in 2013, Ingram in 2016, SGA in 2018 and maybe Ayo Dosunmu in 2021.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,921

Post#1412 » by mjkvol » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:19 am

rzzzzz wrote:

And Morey got us Maxey.

Agree on all except for the Harris trade, which didn't even make sense at the time. Emptying the cupboard for a guy who didn't fit and was completely superfluous from the moment he got here was pure overkill. Extending him after letting Jimmy walk was the beginning of the end.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Post#1413 » by the_process » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:21 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:In 2016 we took TLC and Korkmaz over Brogdan and Dejounte Murray.

Seems Sixers were too busy chasing waterfalls, should have stuck to the rivers and the lakes that we're used to

First off, well played.

Second off, you say TLC, this is what I think of :lol:

https://www.investigationdiscovery.com/crimefeed/celebrity/the-night-lisa-left-eye-lopes-burned-down-her-boyfriends-mansion
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,921

Post#1414 » by mjkvol » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:22 am

True, but in fairness you can go through past drafts for most any team and find examples like that again and again.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#1415 » by TheBallsDeeper » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:35 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:

Missed the chance to put something in about the Sixers drafting these scrubs. If only they drafted No Scrubs.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,518

Post#1416 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:41 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:

Missed the chance to put something in about the Sixers drafting these scrubs. If only they drafted No Scrubs.

Well Jo finally got Hield...I mean...What about your friends? I'm sure he was wondering if Hield was gonna be low down, or if he was ever gonna be around...Seems Tobias let him down, but that's all good because Jo low-key creeps and he's got so much love in him.

Yo don't even try it with this 90s kid.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,817

Post#1417 » by HotelVitale » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:52 am

mjkvol wrote:

True, but in fairness you can go through past drafts for most any team and find examples like that again and again.

Yeah literally every team in the league passed on those guys. Sometimes players just translate better to the league than anyone has reason to think (like Brogdon) and others develop really really well and realize the potential everyone can see is there (Dejounte).
Samson
Assistant Coach
And1: 243

Post#1418 » by Samson » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:55 pm

The people mentioning 2016 Draft and the fact we passed on Siakam and Murray ...

in case it's not remembered, we offered the sun, moon, and stars to Boston to get Kris Dunn at #3, whom they considered the perfect combo guard & defender to pair with Simmons - sort of like how Rick Pitino had #3 & #6 picks in 1997, and took his "Dream Big Backcourt" of Chauncey & Ron Mercer ... Except, I can't find the details but I remember seeing it reported during the draft , before they wound up taking Jaylen Brown @ #3 - the Celtics wanted not just the sun, moon, & stars, but the Solar System, and a few Supernovas thrown in. (It might have been like both Okafor AND Noel, whom they valued higher, plus both the lower 1st round picks and an unprotected future pick? It was a long time ago but it was something like that, both of the lottery-pick Centers, both of the lower 1st round draft picks, and a 5th asset, I believe a future pick)

And the funny thing is we wound up giving all that stuff away ANYWAY.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant

Post#1419 » by rzzzzz » Mon Mar 4, 2024 2:06 pm

Samson wrote:in case it's not remembered, we offered the sun, moon, and stars to Boston to get Kris Dunn at #3, whom they considered the perfect combo guard & defender to pair with Simmons - sort of like how Rick Pitino had #3 & #6 picks in 1997, and took his "Dream Big Backcourt" of Chauncey & Ron Mercer ... Except, I can't find the details but I remember seeing it reported during the draft , before they wound up taking Jaylen Brown @ #3 - the Celtics wanted not just the sun, moon, & stars, but the Solar System, and a few Supernovas thrown in. (It might have been like both Okafor AND Noel, whom they valued higher, plus both the lower 1st round picks and an unprotected future pick? It was a long time ago but it was something like that, both of the lottery-pick Centers, both of the lower 1st round draft picks, and a 5th asset, I believe a future pick)

Danny told the Globe it was Boston’s pick straight up for Okafor. Which turned into #4 and they used it on Brown. Hinkie probably would have done the same, but Jerry C nixed the deal, playing into Josh Harris’ paranoia that Embiid’s navicular would never heal and we needed to keep Jahlil as insurance. And, of course, this was where Sam got squeezed out of the organization. Which worked out great because the best candidate for GM just happened to be Bryan C.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,426

Post#1420 » by Jailblazers7 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 2:26 pm

The Colangelo era feels like a classic private equity takeover where we were stripped for parts, saddled with a ton of debt, and stuck with a maliciously negligent management team. Once the tear down was complete, the offending party just left town and washed their hands of it.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers