ImageImageImage

Welcome Zhaire Smith

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,109

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1361 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:28 pm

I think role players are overrated in a playoff context constantly. Covington was and now Richardson is. But now we're sinking to Bertans levels? This guy is a career 7.4 ppg player at age 27. What are you honestly expecting to get out of him in the playoffs where role players shrink and often times don't even show up in road games.

If we're going to let some other team reap the benefits of Zhaire down the line, at least get a difference maker like Rose or Lavine. And in terms of Wizards players, Isaiah Thomas would have a waayyyyyyy higher impact in a playoff series for us than Bertans.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,040

Post#1362 » by ivysixer2000 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:39 pm

I'm still wondering what deal could make us end up with Lavine, and how Zhaire could assist in that.
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#1363 » by PhillyFan11 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:26 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:Wait, you determined that a former 2nd round pick that had 3 years in the league is a “career scrub”?1. That’s dumb. 2. A 6’10 guy with his elite shooting ability can’t be a scrub. It just doesn’t compute.

Yes, a guy who averaged 6.2 ppg during his ages 24 through 26 seasons was a career scrub, up until that point. If you want to sacrifice Zhaire Smith for a polished up former scrub having a career year at age 27, that's your choice. I think it's a terrible idea. Zhaire was as good or better in his 6 games as a 19 year old than Bertans was in that entire chunk of years in his mid-20s.

This is so dumb that I’m not sure if you’re serious. It further confirms to me that all you do is go to a players page and look at PPG to determine how good they are.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1364 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:42 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:This is so dumb that I’m not sure if you’re serious. It further confirms to me that all you do is go to a players page and look at PPG to determine how good they are.

What's dumb is pissing away a promising young player for a low level player like Bertans that won't offer anything in the playoffs. Stop overrating low level players with appealing tools. That's how people are tricked into thinking Mike Scott and Mike Muscala are good additions. And no, I don't want to trade Zhaire for Doug McDermott either, while you're at it.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1365 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:45 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:I'm still wondering what deal could make us end up with Lavine, and how Zhaire could assist in that.

Josh Richardson, Zhaire Smith, Mike Scott and two first round picks.
JoeZeke
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#1366 » by JoeZeke » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:57 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:This is so dumb that I’m not sure if you’re serious. It further confirms to me that all you do is go to a players page and look at PPG to determine how good they are.

What's dumb is pissing away a promising young player for a low level player like Bertans that won't offer anything in the playoffs. Stop overrating low level players with appealing tools. That's how people are tricked into thinking Mike Scott and Mike Muscala are good additions. And no, I don't want to trade Zhaire for Doug McDermott either, while you're at it.

How many guys with Zhaire's skill set and size have done well in the NBA? He played PF in college, and scored the majority of his points on put backs, catching lobs, and floaters. In the NBA he's an average sized guard, with average guard skills like shooting, passing, and ball handling. His type of athleticism looks great on YouTube videos, he can jump out the gym and has straight line speed, but he's not explosive with the ball in his hands. He's more of a two dribble straight line driver, and not the kind of guy who can breakdown a defender and get to the hoop and finish through or around contact. This is not to say he can't improve, he will. I expect him to become a better shooter, but I don't see him improving enough as a ball handler and playmaker type that's needed from a guard.
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#1367 » by PhillyFan11 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:06 pm

Kobblehead wrote:

Hmm if only there were past examples of role players helping teams win championships. Oh wait, there is on EVERY SINGLE team. Danny Green, Iguodala, Derek Fisher Robert Harry, Steve Kerr, most of the Spurs teams that won, and the list goes on...
Whether you like it or not we are locked into Jo, Ben and Tobi as the core that will either lead this team to a championship or we wont be winning 1 anytime soon. We need to surround them with the best possible role players (IE outside shooters like Bertans). We aren’t going to be able to recreate the Warriors, and even they had guys like Iguodala, Looney and Livingston as key role players.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1368 » by Kobblehead » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:22 pm

JoeZeke wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:

How many guys with Zhaire's skill set and size have done well in the NBA? He played PF in college, and scored the majority of his points on put backs, catching lobs, and floaters. In the NBA he's an average sized guard, with average guard skills like shooting, passing, and ball handling. His type of athleticism looks great on YouTube videos, he can jump out the gym and has straight line speed, but he's not explosive with the ball in his hands. He's more of a two dribble straight line driver, and not the kind of guy who can breakdown a defender and get to the hoop and finish through or around contact. This is not to say he can't improve, he will. I expect him to become a better shooter, but I don't see him improving enough as a ball handler and playmaker type that's needed from a guard.

I'm not even a fan of Zhaire. But there's no sense in dumping him for a semi-reformed scrub that won't move the needle. I'd rather just keep slow cooking him and see what we have in a year or two.

Again, if we're adding him as salary in a deal for someone who can actually play like Derrick Rose, by all means, trade him. Just don't dump him for a scrub that won't make a difference anyway like Bertans, Galloway, Ellington, Bullock, etc.
JoeZeke
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#1369 » by JoeZeke » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:18 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
JoeZeke wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:What's dumb is pissing away a promising young player for a low level player like Bertans that won't offer anything in the playoffs. Stop overrating low level players with appealing tools. That's how people are tricked into thinking Mike Scott and Mike Muscala are good additions. And no, I don't want to trade Zhaire for Doug McDermott either, while you're at it.

I'm not even a fan of Zhaire. But there's no sense in dumping him for a semi-reformed scrub that won't move the needle. I'd rather just keep slow cooking him and see what we have in a year or two.

Again, if we're adding him as salary in a deal for someone who can actually play like Derrick Rose, by all means, trade him. Just don't dump him for a scrub that won't make a difference anyway.

That was just my take on Zhaire as a prospect, nothing to do with any trades. I prefer the Sixers bring him up and give us a look at what he has to offer. I really can't think of any players similar to Zhaire being drafted as high as he was with similar size and skills. For a second Dante Exum popped into my head, but he was much more highly touted as a prospect. Could Marcus Smart be a comparison, but even his guard skills were superior to Zhaire coming into the league. Zhaire is a hard player to figure out, and will remain so until he gets some minutes with the team.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,582

Post#1370 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:47 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Agree with this. Not interested in selling low on Smith right now...

Read on Twitter

I'm still intrigued by Zhaire, but this team needs to add a rotation guy, and he's one of the few non-starters making more than a minimum salary. Trading him might be a necessary evil.

Was it really a pay day? I haven't seen that. I saw this:

https://www.gq.com/story/zhaire-smith-76ers-deadly-allergic-reaction
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,755

Post#1371 » by phillynative » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:07 am

Shannon brown
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#1372 » by Aussiepiston1 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:33 am

phillynative wrote:Shannon brown

Norman Powell
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1373 » by Kobblehead » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:01 pm

7 points in 26 minutes on January 22nd.

Tough night.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#1374 » by rzzzzz » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:16 pm

now that he's on the bench, i will be content if he gets some rotation time. good or bad, it's on him.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#1375 » by 51X3RF4N » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:11 pm

Kobblehead wrote:7 points in 26 minutes on January 22nd.

Tough night.
3-7 FG, 1-2 3P, 5 boards, 1 steal.

I wouldn't say tough night. He was efficient. Not like he took 15 shots and only scored 7 points. He just didn't get as many shots.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,755

Post#1376 » by phillynative » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:07 am

Aussiepiston1 wrote:
phillynative wrote:Shannon brown

Norman Powell

Norman was a polished player coming out of school

Zhaire is really raw
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1377 » by Kobblehead » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:55 am

Zhaire better be better than Norman Powell. Powell didn't show anything until his senior year at U.C.L.A. For as raw as Zhaire is, he was still pretty decent as a freshman.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#1378 » by rzzzzz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:37 am

looked pretty crestfallen sitting on the bench tonight. then i saw Derek's tweet. things just ain't working out for him in Philly.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#1379 » by Winejk » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:51 am

Zaire looks like Mr Potatohead. Especially with the stache
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1380 » by Kobblehead » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:46 pm

Dammit man. Sprains an ankle right when he's getting an opportunity.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers