Joel: unchained.

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,483

Re: Joel: unchained. 

Post#1541 » by youngcrev » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:02 pm

zaz102 wrote:
Foshan wrote:With Maxeys shooting and fultz size, he actually isn’t a horrible fit. Just not sure he has the mental strength toncome back here… in fact, pretty sure he doesn’t
Fultz can't hit a three to save his life though. I'd take a flyer on him if nothing else is out there, but that's about it.

Yeah. Fultz makes some pretty plays, but he's too ball dependent to be all that helpful here.

I just can't see him being a very good fit in the Embiid-centric, non-Maxey minutes.
sodmoraes
Rookie
And1: 538

Post#1542 » by sodmoraes » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:14 pm

Even if Bum SImmons wasnt broken as a human being, his back is damaged goods. Simmons without his athleticism is not a nba player.
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,938

Post#1543 » by mjkvol » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:54 pm

sodmoraes wrote:Even if Bum SImmons wasnt broken as a human being, his back is damaged goods. Simmons without his athleticism is not a nba player.

With his athleticism he's barely an NBA player if he's afraid to even shoot free throws.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#1544 » by rzzzzz » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:24 pm

So, if Embiid is out of the running for MVP due to necessary recovery time, can we just shoot for just the 6th seed and at least go into the playoffs with him healthy, along with no more need to stay in games just to hit 30/10?

And though the “smart” move would be to wait until summer, I’d like to shoot the moon for someone who can help pull out games when the big guy is not playing and, mainly, perform in this year’s playoffs. I’d give up all the picks and whoever (not Maxey) for Lauri. But would settle for a more modest exchange for another initiator. Plus, can’t we use some serious intervention, maybe electric shock reinforcement, to get BBall under enough control to just be a legitimate back-up C?
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,770

Post#1545 » by phillynative » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:38 am

Groundhog day indeed
phillynative
General Manager

Post#1546 » by phillynative » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:46 am

It's time to try something different. Lower his usage , commit him to dropping some weight, play him more like Tim Duncan instead of KD, get him a PF that can help him protect the rim so hes not havingto challenge every single shot at the rim...
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,253

Post#1547 » by eyeatoma » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:08 am

daforums.com/f/samsung-galaxy-s24-ultra.12819/

Sounds like they won't do surgery...

Read on Twitter

Lines up with Shams deleting his tweet.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 416

Post#1548 » by Zumramania » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:25 am

phillynative wrote:It's time to try something different. Lower his usage , commit him to dropping some weight, play him more like Tim Duncan instead of KD, get him a PF that can help him protect the rim so hes not havingto challenge every single shot at the rim...

Well wasn't it suggested that Joel insisted on playing against the Warriors because he faced Twitter criticism for avoiding Jokic in Denver a game before? So I guess Joel should also work on changing his mentality a bit and accepting that he is (very) injury prone, which means that he has to give up on all the regular season accolades (MVP, 30 and 10 streak etc.) if he wants to compete in the playoffs.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1549 » by eyeatoma » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:34 am

Zumramania wrote:
phillynative wrote:It's time to try something different. Lower his usage , commit him to dropping some weight, play him more like Tim Duncan instead of KD, get him a PF that can help him protect the rim so hes not havingto challenge every single shot at the rim...

Well wasn't it suggested that Joel insisted on playing against the Warriors because he faced Twitter criticism for avoiding Jokic in Denver a game before? So I guess Joel should also work on changing his mentality a bit and accepting that he is (very) injury prone, which means that he has to give up on all the regular season accolades (MVP, 30 and 10 streak etc.) if he wants to compete in the playoffs.

Yeah let's go ahead and just change your personality. Why don't we get a lobotomy to go with it.

Cmon man, that's how he's built, I don't blame him for that.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,043

Post#1550 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:57 am

Correct, it's how he's built, not his fault we didn't see it and act accordingly, we just didn't want to rebuild and move on...
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#1551 » by Wilfried » Fri Feb 2, 2024 10:23 am

Torn between blowing it up and ... ?
Only thing to not do that, is if we are sure Joel can be back by the end of march and in full shape. If not, he will not be in shape for the play-offs and than there's no reason whatsoever to not let him heal properly.

By blowing it up, I mean:
Develop Reed, Springer and KJ Martin as much as you can.
Sell Morris, Covington, Kork, ... for what you can get (some 2nd rounders?)
Get a higher first round pick
Get hyped for the 2024 offseason
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,500

Post#1552 » by elchengue20 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 11:40 am

I called this at least a year ago, at this point we should trade him for a haul and make a quick, strong rebuild around Maxey.

It hurts because i like Jojo, he's also a homegrown talent and the face of the Process and all the pain we faced in that era. Also when he's on, he's probably the best player in the league right now. But deep inside i think it's probably time to just move on while we can.

It's nearly impossible to win a chip with a player this injury prone as your #1. Plus he has some character/leadership issues at the biggest moments also.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,880

Post#1553 » by Stanford » Fri Feb 2, 2024 11:47 am

Wilfried wrote:Get a higher first round pick

They've won 30 games already. Too late for that.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1554 » by eyeatoma » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:11 pm

Can't trade him because we'll never get max value. When healthy he's still the best player in the league. You take that risk.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach

Post#1555 » by Wilfried » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:32 pm

elchengue20 wrote:I called this at least a year ago, at this point we should trade him for a haul and make a quick, strong rebuild around Maxey.

It hurts because i like Jojo, he's also a homegrown talent and the face of the Process and all the pain we faced in that era. Also when he's on, he's probably the best player in the league right now. But deep inside i think it's probably time to just move on while we can.

It's nearly impossible to win a chip with a player this injury prone as your #1. Plus he has some character/leadership issues at the biggest moments also.

Completely insane. If you trade him, it's not before summer 2025.
First you go for more pieces to put around him this summer and see if we can go after the chip in 2024-2025. If he can't stay healthy again that season, or he fails again big time in play-offs, than you start thinking about trading him. Not earlier.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,500

Post#1556 » by elchengue20 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:57 pm

Wilfried wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:I called this at least a year ago, at this point we should trade him for a haul and make a quick, strong rebuild around Maxey.

First you go for more pieces to put around him this summer and see if we can go after the chip in 2024-2025. If he can't stay healthy again that season, or he fails again big time in play-offs, than you start thinking about trading him. Not earlier.

Sure, let's trade him when he has lost most of his value like Ben Simmons.

I mean, i'm not opposed if you want to give this one more chance, but i don't find the idea of trading him insane at all, it's probably the best option if you really think about it.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1557 » by eyeatoma » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:59 pm

elchengue20 wrote:
Wilfried wrote:

I mean, i'm not opposed if you want to give this one more chance, but i don't find the idea of trading him insane at all, it's probably the best option if you really think about it.

He'll still get a haul, it's a meniscus injury not an acl. For all intents and purposes he';ll be back a 100%. Just needs to slow down a bit.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach

Post#1558 » by Wilfried » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:34 pm

elchengue20 wrote:
Wilfried wrote:

His value, if healthy, is that of a HOF'er.

And you don't sell a HOF'er when on your team, they only pass once in 2 decades maybe.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#1559 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:47 pm

Wilfried wrote:Torn between blowing it up and ... ?
Only thing to not do that, is if we are sure Joel can be back by the end of march and in full shape. If not, he will not be in shape for the play-offs and than there's no reason whatsoever to not let him heal properly.

By blowing it up, I mean:
Develop Reed, Springer and KJ Martin as much as you can.
Sell Morris, Covington, Kork, ... for what you can get (some 2nd rounders?)
Get a higher first round pick
Get hyped for the 2024 offseason

Lol.what??.. wait trade Joel lol and develop who ?? Lol
phillynative
General Manager

Post#1560 » by phillynative » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:16 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Zumramania wrote:

Yeah let's go ahead and just change your personality. Why don't we get a lobotomy to go with it.

Cmon man, that's how he's built, I don't blame him for that.

It's not about changing his personality it's about coming into a mentality where you prioritize the main goal. He has come a long way but he and the sixers still make some questionable decisions . I agree that he need to accept that he's injury prone and take a back seat in the regular season because him dominating in the regular season is not getting us to the promise land. We need him to dominate in the playoffs and whatever it takes to do that he need to consider.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers