ImageImageImage

Joel: unchained.

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,043

Re: Joel: unchained. 

Post#1581 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:08 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:Joel averages 35ppg and is close to the best defender in the league. He works as hard as any player in the league on the defensive end, so is always gassed on offense.

How many points would he average if he ignored defense ike Lebron, Booker, Jokic, Doncic, etc?

Probably around 45 per game.

This is what box score watchers don't get when they claim Jokic is the best player in the league.

That may be true only on Regular Season, the problem is he always folds like a cheap tent in playoffs, defense or not.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,500

Post#1582 » by elchengue20 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:33 am

I hate how hes always trying to make clear how much tired or gassed he is.

Thats a sign of mental weakness. Actually a pretty big red flag.

MJ or Kobe sayed that they never let the oponent know you are tired, you dont have to give them any advantage. Just keep it to yourself or at least try to hide it the best you can.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,861

Post#1583 » by Negrodamus » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:16 am

elchengue20 wrote:I hate how hes always trying to make clear how much tired or gassed he is.

MJ or Kobe sayed that they never let the oponent know you are tired, you dont have to give them any advantage. Just keep it to yourself or at least try to hide it the best you can.

They were also 6’6 and fairly lean. Embiid is gigantic and heavy.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#1584 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:02 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:I hate how hes always trying to make clear how much tired or gassed he is.

He could slim down if he took training and being in shape more seriously. But we know being in shape is secondary to him of course...
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1585 » by Negrodamus » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:15 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

He could slim down if he took training and being in shape more seriously. But we know being in shape is secondary to him of course...

I suppose we’ll just have to settle for his MVP standard of play for only 34 minutes a game.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,500

Post#1586 » by elchengue20 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:24 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

You don't see Jokic doing this. And he's a fat boy. It's just stupid, it shows weakness while giving more confidence and information to the opposition to take advantage.

To me is a clear sign of mental weakness, like he wants you to feel sorry for him if he fails.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#1587 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:08 pm

elchengue20 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

You don't see Jokic doing this. And he's a fat boy. It's just stupid, it shows weakness while giving more confidence and information to the opposition to take advantage.

To me is a clear sign of mental weakness, like he wants you to feel sorry for him if he fails.

I don't know, maybe it's a self defense mechanism for his choking woes, like "look this is why I fail I'm tired!"
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 840

Post#1588 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:16 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

I don't know, maybe it's a self defense mechanism for his choking woes, like "look this is why I fail I'm tired!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-handicapping
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#1589 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:20 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-handicapping

Thanks, you know a lot when it comes to the mental stuff!
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 840

Post#1590 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:21 pm

elchengue20 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

That continues to be this team's primary weakness, especially when matched against teams that have stalwart central players who ratchet their games up in the clutch and carry their teams at those times. Organizing the team around an emotionally deflated player when the team needs to compete against such other teams functions as a ball and chain on the entire team. It's essentially the opposite of inspirational, and when teams are roughly evenly matched i.e. the playoffs and in the clutch of close games, inspiration is what wins. This is why this team has stalled at the second round the past few years -- both of the players they've tried to organize the team around -- Embiid and Harden -- are the opposite of inspirational.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,880

Post#1591 » by Stanford » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:49 pm

Embiid grabbed his knees and then drained two clutch FTs
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#1592 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:04 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

That continues to be this team's primary weakness, especially when matched against teams that have stalwart central players who ratchet their games up in the clutch and carry their teams at those times. Organizing the team around an emotionally deflated player when the team needs to compete against such other teams functions as a ball and chain on the entire team. It's essentially the opposite of inspirational, and when teams are roughly evenly matched i.e. the playoffs and in the clutch of close games, inspiration is what wins. This is why this team has stalled at the second round the past few years -- both of the players they've tried to organize the team around -- Embiid and Harden -- are the opposite of inspirational.

Let's not forget we had Simmons for some years too, mental midget and choking personified!
So yeah, and when we finally had a non choking player in Butler, we let him go in less than a year! what does this say about this franchise?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,938

Post#1593 » by mjkvol » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:21 pm

Wow, this thread all of a sudden became a troll-a-thon today.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#1594 » by TheBallsDeeper » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:46 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:Joel averages 35ppg and is close to the best defender in the league. He works as hard as any player in the league on the defensive end, so is always gassed on offense.

How many points would he average if he ignored defense ike Lebron, Booker, Jokic, Doncic, etc?

Probably around 45 per game.

This is what box score watchers don't get when they claim Jokic is the best player in the league.

That may be true only on Regular Season, the problem is he always folds like a cheap tent in playoffs, defense or not.

Do you ever get tired of spamming this board with your one opinion on basketball?
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#1595 » by rzzzzz » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:54 pm

Embiid missed a lot of shots last night. But not his bread and butter midrangers. This team needs to adjust.
He needs to shake off the rust, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen him look so lean, and I mean in a good way.
If he gets hurt sometime before the end of the season, then it’s the same old same old.
If he can stay on the court, watch out. When he’s 35/10/7 in 32 minutes, he’s the last player you want to face.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,453

Post#1596 » by Eyeamok » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:33 pm

One game back, 76ers win and already the critics and snipping at his heels. Well it was fun while it lasted.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#1597 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:37 pm

You would be wrong, I blamed Maxey plenty! it's not just Embiid that is not ready for prime time.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1598 » by Negrodamus » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:10 am

On a note completely separate from basketball: Do you think Embiid ever thinks at the beginning of the season, “Well, wonder what major surgery Im going to need this year”

Could you imagine for like 8 straight years, you were guaranteed to go under the knife each one of those years?
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,253

Post#1599 » by eyeatoma » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:54 am

Negrodamus wrote:On a note completely separate from basketball: Do you think Embiid ever thinks at the beginning of the season, “Well, wonder what major surgery Im going to need this year”

Could you imagine for like 8 straight years, you were guaranteed to go under the knife each one of those years?

To be fair he hasn't had surgery 8 straight years, but it's been close to that. It must be incredibly draining, I'm not surprised he's depressed.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,592

Post#1600 » by 76ciology » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:43 am

Embiid just needs to learn how to pace himself, especially by not going hard early in the game or early in the season when the game is at its easiest. He should watch how Jimmy paces himself until April or until crunch time.

He has more help now. Let Oubre, Tobias, Hield and Maxey do their thing when the game is at its easiest relative to strength of opponent, and part of the schedule or game. His teammates have to step up on defense during crunch time when the offense has to rely on Embiid.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers