ImageImageImage

The Official Fire Doc Rivers Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,811

Re: (LOL) Glen Rivers is a serious candidate to replace Adrian Griffin 

Post#841 » by the_process » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:57 am

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:How lucky would the Sixers be if the Bucks hire bloody Glen Rivers as their head coach to replace Adrian Griffin??

This is the Sixers year. CALLING IT NOW.

Real talk tho, could Rivers cause the Bucks to fumble the bag in the playoffs? And should Nurse and the team fight to see the Bucks (rather than the Celtics in the 2nd round of the playoffs?)

Yes, if the Bucks hire Glenn the Sixers should try to match up against them in the 2nd round. Even if that means throwing games at the end of the year.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,070

Re: The Official Fire Doc Rivers Thread 

Post#842 » by ivysixer2000 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:15 am

I can't wait til they interview Doc before the start of the game, and he says, 'Well, guys this is a schedule loss...'
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,070

Post#843 » by ivysixer2000 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:20 am

Well they say he's hired......my day was bad, but its better now.

'Ok guys, just give it to KG and get out the way, oh wait, I meant you Giannis Annadopo'
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,741

Post#844 » by Revived » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:26 am

I don’t think doc is good, but there aren’t a lot of good coaches in general. He’s at the very least on the same tier as Mazzulla

viewtopic.php?p=110900095#p110900095

Bucks fans really believing this is crazy.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#845 » by SixthStreet » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:33 am

So amongst the eastern conference contenders we now have the second best coach and a sizeable gulf between the next best coach. That's a big improvement from the Rivers era.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,945

Re: The Official Fire Doc Rivers Thread (Bucks discussion here) 

Post#846 » by Foshan » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:14 am

SixthStreet wrote:So amongst the eastern conference contenders we now have the second best coach and a sizeable gulf between the next best coach. That's a big improvement from the Rivers era.

Merged.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,797

Post#847 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:22 am

The Bucks are an ideal team for Doc Rivers. He can execute numerous pick-and-roll plays with Dame and Giannis. Doc, being a players’ coach, can enhance the performance of his star players. The Bucks boast versatility at the 4-5 positions, reminiscent of his squads with the Clippers and Celtics. Moreover, the team has been involved in many close games this season, seemingly adapting to high-pressure situations. Replace Harden and Embiid with Dame and Giannis last season, we might have won against the Celtics.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,694

Post#848 » by FireMorey » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:27 am

Rivers is better than Mazzulla. Mazzulla is one of the worst coaches in the NBA. The Sixers took the Celtics to 7 games last season with an injured half effective Embiid. The only reason that happened is because Mazzulla is a terrible coach.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,554

Post#849 » by eyeatoma » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:29 am

FireMorey wrote:Rivers is better than Mazzulla. Mazzulla is one of the worst coaches in the NBA. The Sixers took the Celtics to 7 games last season with an injured half effective Embiid. The only reason that happened is because Mazzulla is a terrible coach.

And a reason we lost game 6 and 7, was because of inneffective Embiid, Harden and you guessed it...

Doc Rivers...
SixthStreet
Sixth Man

Post#850 » by SixthStreet » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:15 am

The celebration for Rivers is funny. Half this forum will die of a brain aneurysm when the Bucks close out game 4 against us to go up 3-1 and won't be alive to enjoy Doc's next collapse in his illustrious coaching career.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,474

Post#851 » by Eyeamok » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:36 am

I was done with Doc after the Atlanta series forget last season. I would have thought that Terry Stotts would have been the man for the Bucks considering he has a close relationship with Dame, and he stepped away from the Bucks for the good of the team. But two good things come out of the Bucks hiring Doc. One I expect a trade now that 76ers ownership has more money in their pocket now they don't have to pay Doc anymore. Secondly I expect Doc to throw one of his stars under the bus after a playoff loss, which means there will be someone of note on the market in the summer asking for a trade. Yes Giannis I talking about you. The 76ers sign Harris over the summer and then trade him to the Bucks for Giannis. Everyone wins. :D
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,922

Post#852 » by Wilfried » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:06 am

Does hiring Doc gives us a chance at Giannis this summer? Just dreaming or ... ?
SixthStreet
Sixth Man

Post#853 » by SixthStreet » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:36 am

I wouldn't say it's completely inconceivable. We'd have 5 picks to trade in the offseason. The problem is no NBA level young players to trade with the 5 picks. Or you could do Maxey and 3 picks for Giannis, then find a guard replacement with the 2 remaining FRPs and cap space.

We'd probably be best positioned to trade for Giannis amongst teams that could legitimately contend after the trade and would jump in the Giannis business. OKC could do it but I don't think they would. Utah in the same case. NO would probably come in with a strong offer. Then there are teams that could try the star for star trade like Memphis with Morant.

Although my thought on a Giannis trade is that he would basically demand where he would want to be traded and I doubt we'd be on the list.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,336

Post#854 » by Murray_17 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:39 am

FireMorey wrote:Rivers is better than Mazzulla. Mazzulla is one of the worst coaches in the NBA. The Sixers took the Celtics to 7 games last season with an injured half effective Embiid. The only reason that happened is because Mazzulla is a terrible coach.

Mazulla finally finally play Horford and Williams together on game 6 and Doc never had any answer to it.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,336

Post#855 » by Murray_17 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:44 am

76ciology wrote:The Bucks are an ideal team for Doc Rivers. He can execute numerous pick-and-roll plays with Dame and Giannis. Doc, being a players’ coach, can enhance the performance of his star players. The Bucks boast versatility at the 4-5 positions, reminiscent of his squads with the Clippers and Celtics. Moreover, the team has been involved in many close games this season, seemingly adapting to high-pressure situations. Replace Harden and Embiid with Dame and Giannis last season, we might have won against the Celtics.

I'm sure they fired Griffin as part of the conspiracy to keep games close.

The Bucks have horrible defense on the perimeter, they are 22th on defensive efficiency and 27th on january. They could bring Red Auerbach from the dead and that's still gonna be an issue.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,203

Post#856 » by M2J » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:40 am

Freakin Doc....I was looking forward to seeing him call Philly game Saturday.... Just wasn't in the cards.
But that team needs a defensive guard. That really shouldn't be that hard to find. Even if the guy can't shoot they need one
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#857 » by eyeatoma » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:18 am

SixthStreet wrote:The celebration for Rivers is funny. Half this forum will die of a brain aneurysm when the Bucks close out game 4 against us to go up 3-1 and won't be alive to enjoy Doc's next collapse in his illustrious coaching career.

Eh, if we load up at the trade deadline and Jo is healthy I see us taking it in 6. Nurse knows his ****, and he must be salivating going up against Doc.

Don't bring that bad joo joo in here lol.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#858 » by eyeatoma » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:19 am

M2J wrote:Freakin Doc....I was looking forward to seeing him call Philly game Saturday.... Just wasn't in the cards.
But that team needs a defensive guard. That really shouldn't be that hard to find. Even if the guy can't shoot they need one

If we don't get Murray, I see him going to the Bucks which is no bueno. The Bucks somehow always manage to pull a rabbit out of their hat. They'll find a couple of hidden picks and get the trade to go through.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#859 » by eyeatoma » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:20 am

SixthStreet wrote:I wouldn't say it's completely inconceivable. We'd have 5 picks to trade in the offseason. The problem is no NBA level young players to trade with the 5 picks. Or you could do Maxey and 3 picks for Giannis, then find a guard replacement with the 2 remaining FRPs and cap space.

We'd probably be best positioned to trade for Giannis amongst teams that could legitimately contend after the trade and would jump in the Giannis business. OKC could do it but I don't think they would. Utah in the same case. NO would probably come in with a strong offer. Then there are teams that could try the star for star trade like Memphis with Morant.

Although my thought on a Giannis trade is that he would basically demand where he would want to be traded and I doubt we'd be on the list.

Giannis? Really, wow I can dream, I'd love it, but I dont' see it happening. I'd rather go get a star or some really good secondary pieces (Derozan and Caruso) while keeping Harris, and then go into the post season fully loaded. We can then pivot in the offseason if need be.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,977

Post#860 » by Stanford » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:36 am

The worst part about Doc wasn't even the second round exits. He constantly antagonized his own players and fans, treated reporters poorly, and acted like his standing among coaches put him above criticism. He made being a fan of this team a miserable experience.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers