ImageImageImage

Delaware Bluecoats Discussion

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,735

Re: Delaware Bluecoats Discussion 

Post#161 » by 76ciology » Mon Nov 7, 2022 4:48 am

The thing about Bassey is he is either not that big or not that quick to excel in the league.

If you watch his blue coats game, he looks bigger than smaller big and not quicker than big bigs.

If you watch his game in NBA, his reaction time is slow and he isn’t as big as some of the bigs.

He’s good at garbage time when the pace is slow and he plays with weak competition.

He was just lucky with the Jokic game. Run that simulation 100x and he’d probably only be that good 1-2 times. In that game the pace was slow and the competition wasnt as good.

A lot of these kids you need to only give them a short leash and cut them quick. Always have a mindset of abundance. There’s bazillion number of talent out there.

Kids out there are training with these coaches that teaches the specific skillset that they need. Look how Raps trained OG and Siakam into star caliber players. All you need is the right base (combination of good foundation skillset, athleticism, height and wingspan) then the right attitude (from a scale of Ben Simmons to Giannis, how motivated are them?)

A lot of players nowadays are like replica rolex watches. These guys knew what you are looking for so they can easily create these replicas. The game is also simpler nowadays, its just switching, shooting, PnR and ISO (mostly step back).
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,168

Post#162 » by Kobblehead » Mon Nov 7, 2022 4:51 am

My only knock on Foster is his length. Just a 7 foot wingspan. So he definitely can't be playing C minutes.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#163 » by 76ciology » Mon Nov 7, 2022 5:02 am

MVP1992 wrote:
76ciology wrote:I think Bassey being waived shows how high we are on Foster Jr.

I hope we can get a plethora of Foster Jr. like the Raps, we can just plug and play these type of guys with our key guys.

Agreed.

I hope to see him get some NBA game time. Fingers crossed he just goes beserk and forces his way in. Banchero lite :pray:

You better pray a lot harder :lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#164 » by 76ciology » Mon Nov 7, 2022 5:04 am

Kobblehead wrote:My only knock on Foster is his length. Just a 7 foot wingspan. So he definitely can't be playing C minutes.

I like him at PF because he may allows me to play with a C, while i can use his skillset, quickness and athleticism.
mccluskey
Pro Prospect
And1: 623

Post#165 » by mccluskey » Mon Nov 7, 2022 3:45 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

If McClung had very good to elite distribution ability, he'd be a starter in the NBA. He's pretty advanced at getting shots off. I don't know much about his defense, but I'm sure it sucks.

Unfortunately, what struck me the most when watching a bit last night was how small he is. During breaks in action when players are huddled together, he looked super tiny next to Springer and Mays.

McClung is definitely an NBA level athlete and dribble driver, it's a shame he never developed his shooting, passing, or defensive traits in three years of college ball. He was just general athletic shotcreater the whole time.

warning, long post ahead, plus I'm a McClung fan - let me admit that right off the bat - so there's probably some bias in my evaluation of his skills.

but having watched him at GTown, TTU and last year with South Bay, he's absolutely made a lot of improvement in his shooting and playmaking, especially the last couple years under Chris Beard and Miles Simon.

his college 3pt% went from .277 as a freshman to .323 as a soph and .343 as a junior on around the same attempts per game (4.7ish) each year. Then last year with South Bay he shot around 38-39% from deep on around 5 attempts per game over 40 games in the G League, and he's shooting better than that so far with the Blue Coats.

he also always played the 2 in college, so his ability to run a team was rightfully questioned when he entered the draft. But last year with South Bay he played point fulltime and showed some pretty good vision and passing ability with 7.2 assists to 3.0 TOs over the year.

defensively he's still got a lot of work to do - he's also made some improvement there but unfortunately only from "awful" to "not a complete liability". He's decent straight up one on one due to his athleticism but still gets picked off his man too easily and finds himself out of position more than you'd like to see.

like you said, he's only about 6'1 max with short arms, so size is always going to be an issue, but there's a fair amount of guys his size in the league and I think people tend to overstate that as a negative. For me, the fact that he still sometimes gets tunnel vision trying to score too much when he should be looking to distribute and his lack of defensive awareness off the ball are bigger issues than his height.

but taking everything into account and trying to avoid looking at him through McClung-colored glasses, I genuinely think this kid has an NBA future ahead of him. He's still developing as a player - he's put a ton of work into his game since leaving college and is a much better player and playmaker now than he was 18 months ago - and I think there's still a good bit of developmental upside to him given his athletic profile (it's not just his crazy vertical, the kid is an all around fast twitch athlete) and his work ethic and drive to succeed. McClung is also a guy who's got some real dog in him and won't back down from anyone, and guys with that mentality who work as hard and move as well as he does tend to eventually make the most of their opportunities.

he's never going to be an All-Star, and he's probably never going to be a regular starter either, but he's the type of guy who could definitely be a valuable rotation piece for somebody in a combo guard/microwave scorer role off the bench.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#166 » by Kobblehead » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:49 pm

Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#167 » by Kobblehead » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:20 pm

Michael Foster is playing at an absurd level right now.

- 22.7 ppg (shooting over 70% from three lol)
- 14.2% rebounding
- 18.8% assist
- 8.7% block
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,995

Post#168 » by Negrodamus » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:31 pm

Kobblehead wrote:

Skylar playing with some old man, YMCA level pizzazz in these highlights
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,821

Post#169 » by phillynative » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:32 am

76ciology wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:My only knock on Foster is his length. Just a 7 foot wingspan. So he definitely can't be playing C minutes.

I like him at PF because he may allows me to play with a C, while i can use his skillset, quickness and athleticism.

I think he's a natural 4 not a tweener like all the guys the sixers have on their roster.
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#170 » by Beorn » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:24 pm

Out of curiosity, why was Michael Foster Jr waived?
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#171 » by FlyingArrow » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:20 pm

Beorn wrote:Out of curiosity, why was Michael Foster Jr waived?

Same reason Bassey was waived.
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#172 » by Beorn » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:41 pm

So it all goes back to Doc? Sorry, I am not familiar with the 76ers board
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,995

Post#173 » by Negrodamus » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:54 pm

Because he’s an undersized 4. There might be more reasons. Not sure why he was cut over Champagnie. We don’t know the motivations of the FO, if that’s what you’re asking.

We also need anyone who can produce offense with the ball in their hands other than Harden, Maxey, and Tobi.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,298

Post#174 » by Murray_17 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:57 pm

We're an hospital clinic at the moment and with Maxey/Harden out for 2 or 3 weeks we need a guy to fill the spot, the owner is being cheap on the dollar so basically we want to keep one or two spots open for the minimum.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#175 » by Skates » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:28 pm

Foster looked way better than Champagnie in the summer and G League and is younger. We needed a guard for certain, I just question why cut Foster and keep Chamagnie?
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#176 » by Kobblehead » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:56 pm

WHYYYYYYYYY
phillynative
General Manager

Post#177 » by phillynative » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:29 pm

I dont understand it either. Foster is a young big with 2way potential. Saben lee is just another 6ft guard without a position.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#178 » by phillynative » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:31 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

Because he’s an undersized 4. There might be more reasons. Not sure why he was cut over Champagnie. We don’t know the motivations of the FO, if that’s what you’re asking.

We also need anyone who can produce offense with the ball in their hands other than Harden, Maxey, and Tobi.

Since when does this team care about undersized 4's? Or is it hes not old or slow enough.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#179 » by Kobblehead » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:45 pm

If you wanted a munchkin for fake depth, just give McClung a 10 day contract or something. It made no sense to me to bail on Foster, given his pedigree, potential, and production.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#180 » by Kobblehead » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:47 pm

Morey once bailed on Covington for no reason whatsoever while he was similarly dominating the G-League in his first post-draft season.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers