Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Re: Welcome Ricky Council IV 

Post#21 » by Rastas » Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:28 pm

Iverson Armband wrote:
Rastas wrote:
LeonJordanJr24 wrote:This is depressing.

It will be if they don't give him #4

4 is also the over/under on Ben Simmons games played this year.

Glad to know Ben's still livin in your head Mr Armband :lol:
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,043

Post#22 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:28 pm

Not as much as certain posters here that are always triggered by comments made...
Great takes since 2024-04-20
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,047

Post#23 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 2:27 am

I do hope Ricky can contribute, he was a big contributor to the Hogs earlier in the season. Then his jumper stopped falling like everyone else on the Hogs. He will consistently go to the rim with attitude and anger.

Pretty much the opposite of Isiah Joe, from Arkansas, I hope another one of my Hogs can stick around the league.
JudahMax
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#24 » by JudahMax » Thu Jul 6, 2023 10:27 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

Excellent first step, elite athlete, good upside on defense, very good FT shooter. Now if he can just get a (stop me if you’ve heard this one before) three point shot, he’d be at minimum a nice rotation player.

I’m glad we grabbed him over a non-basketball player like Chris Livingston.

Is council gonna be a PG or shooting guard though?
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,047

Post#25 » by ivysixer2000 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:54 am

JudahMax wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Excellent first step, elite athlete, good upside on defense, very good FT shooter. Now if he can just get a (stop me if you’ve heard this one before) three point shot, he’d be at minimum a nice rotation player.

I’m glad we grabbed him over a non-basketball player like Chris Livingston.

Is council gonna be a PG or shooting guard though?

Nah, I wouldn't expect him to be able to run PG, SG getting in the lane is more of his game. The Hogs did use him as a closer until Nick Smith Jr. (who failed in the role) got back, I think it did hurt Ricky's self esteem a bit that they took that role from him and he never really got it back. I also think this change hurt the team in general cause Nick sucked so bad, but was rated so high that all the players didn't know what to do.

He really looked good as a closer for a while, early in the season.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,770

Post#26 » by phillynative » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:36 pm

Has hit 5 of his last 7 threes. Very small sample size but could be a sign of the work he put in.

Another person who’s helped Council in that regard: teammate and newly-minted All-Star Tyrese Maxey.

“I feel like what he can do defensively and attacking the basket is special,” Maxey said last week to Liberty Ballers. “So I’ve just been on him. After every shootaround, I make him shoot threes with me because if he gets that down, especially like corner threes, he can be a special player in this league.”

Hines has also worked with him on his form. He will have all offseason to put in the work. No reason for him to not come back atleast average next season.

I don't understand why the sixers haven't signed him yet.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,530

Post#27 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:40 pm

He's got all the necessary foundational tools to be a good player in the league. I hope we don't screw this up by not signing him. He needs to be a Sixer.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,861

Post#28 » by Negrodamus » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:55 pm

Joel is the superstar, but Maxey really is the glue. Ultimate team guy. Keep him around forever.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,750

Post#29 » by the_process » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:07 pm

phillynative wrote:Has hit 5 of his last 7 threes. Very small sample size but could be a sign of the work he put in.

Another person who’s helped Council in that regard: teammate and newly-minted All-Star Tyrese Maxey.

“I feel like what he can do defensively and attacking the basket is special,” Maxey said last week to Liberty Ballers. “So I’ve just been on him. After every shootaround, I make him shoot threes with me because if he gets that down, especially like corner threes, he can be a special player in this league.”

Hines has also worked with him on his form. He will have all offseason to put in the work. No reason for him to not come back atleast average next season.

I don't understand why the sixers haven't signed him yet.

I don't think they can and stay under the tax. I could be wrong about that, though.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,770

Post#30 » by phillynative » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:15 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Joel is the superstar, but Maxey really is the glue. Ultimate team guy. Keep him around forever.

Yeah and I think once this team is fully his , and we are building it around him. I think he's going to cultivate a good team culture moving forward. I don't think we are going to hold on to guys who's not putting in the work or not showing growth with Maxey as the leader because I think he's going to stay on his guys.

Definitely a bright future ahead with him
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,938

Post#31 » by mjkvol » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:03 pm

phillynative wrote:

Even the idea that people here were advocating including Maxey in a trade package for some "star" or other was asinine at the time and only becomes more absurd as time goes on. This is a kid you build a team around, not dump for some flavor of the week. Even worse is the idiot troll who continues to trash him on here, but then a troll is gonna troll.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#32 » by mithrandir17 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:45 pm

Do we still have an open roster spot to possibly convert Ricky to a standard contract before the playoffs?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,592

Post#33 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:27 am

mithrandir17 wrote:Do we still have an open roster spot to possibly convert Ricky to a standard contract before the playoffs?

Deadline is on sunday
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,750

Post#34 » by the_process » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:52 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:Do we still have an open roster spot to possibly convert Ricky to a standard contract before the playoffs?

Yes they still have a roster spot, but I do not believe they have the necessary room under the tax line.

Converting Dowtin instead of Council was a mistake. However, they are looking forward, and they should be able to lock up Council for a few years pretty cheaply in the summer.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#35 » by rzzzzz » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:33 pm

76ciology wrote:Deadline is on sunday

It could be interesting to see how much Nick plays him the last two games and whether he delivers again if given the chance.

(Not that its bothered them before, but it could put the spot light on wealthy sports enthusiasts willingly short changing a playoff roster on the rare season where Embiid goes in healthy.)
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,880

Post#36 » by Stanford » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:47 pm

Council is one of those guys who everyone would say "they've done it again!" about if he were on the Heat's playoff roster.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,500

Post#37 » by elchengue20 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:40 pm

That's the good thing about having a competent GM running things, they can find players like this roaming around the G League.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 416

Post#38 » by Zumramania » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:25 pm

Stanford wrote:Council is one of those guys who everyone would say "they've done it again!" about if he were on the Heat's playoff roster.

In Council I see something that was rarely present on our roster: a potential to contribute in important playoff games. This guy may never become great in the regular season, but I have a feeling he will turn it on when it matters.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,865

Post#39 » by Mik317 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:26 pm

MY GUESS is that his people are asking for multiple years and perhaps some guarantees. With Cov potentially coming back and Melton as well, his playing time is probably also not a thing whereas Dowtin only has Lowry and Payne in front of that role..

so yeah looking forward to him going elsewhere and becoming a knock down shooter lol
#NeverGonnaBeGood
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,552

Post#40 » by SixthStreet » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:40 pm

We are going to sign him after the year with some guaranteed money I'd expect. Just ducking the tax for this year. It's not cheap, it's strategy to push off the repeater penalties as I'd expect to be tax paying for the next several years after this one.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers