2023-2024 College Basketball / NBA Draft

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,839

Re: 2023-2024 College Basketball / NBA Draft 

Post#181 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:16 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Calipari and Doc Rivers are the same coach.

Does Kentucky ever get to the point where they fire him? Obviously his recruiting prowess & brand are amazing but he’s a terrible basketball coach lol.

When you look at the talent he’s coached, his resume is shameful.

He'd be out the door right now if he didn't have a $55 mil buyout. It's something they could cover if it was disastrous, like he had single digit wins this year, but I don't think this was enough to show him the door. He's truly a horrendous in game coach. And the downside to having insane recruiting classes every year is you need to make good on your promises. Otherwise, DJ Wagner and Justin Edwards would have been shown the bench a long time ago. Sheppard, Reeves, and Dillingham were the best 3 man lineup in the country and we had to cut into that time constantly to appease the faltering 5 star recruits.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#182 » by Kobblehead » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:17 pm

Calipari definitely ruined this Kentucky team.

He went through an entire season without fielding a competent starting lineup. I don't know if it was NIL money obligations or just his stubbornness.

But not ONCE did he put the best 5 Wildcats in the starting lineup together this year.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,919

Post#183 » by mjkvol » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:42 pm

I believe the buyout is $33 million, but regardless, it's an incredible sum to make a coach go away.

The thing about Calipari is that in-game coaching aside, the guy is built for the Kentucky pressure cooker, which can't be overlooked if they are planning on replacing him. Killer recruiter and money-raiser (although the boosters are probably turning against him), and he has the temperament to deal with an incredibly rabid fan base. The list of coaches with the ability to handle all that as well as the in-game coaching can't be very long. But he may have finally reached the point of no return.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#184 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:17 pm

mjkvol wrote:I believe the buyout is $33 million, but regardless, it's an incredible sum to make a coach go away.

The thing about Calipari is that in-game coaching aside, the guy is built for the Kentucky pressure cooker, which can't be overlooked if they are planning on replacing him. Killer recruiter and money-raiser (although the boosters are probably turning against him), and he has the temperament to deal with an incredibly rabid fan base. The list of coaches with the ability to handle all that as well as the in-game coaching can't be very long. But he may have finally reached the point of no return.

As a fan of a team that rioted when Lane Kiffin went to USC, I think you can appreciate how insane a passionate SEC fan base can get. Cal used to joke about getting for sale signs put on his lawn if he doesn’t win… well that’s about to be just the beginning in Lexington.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#185 » by mjkvol » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:31 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
mjkvol wrote:I believe the buyout is $33 million, but regardless, it's an incredible sum to make a coach go away.

As a fan of a team that rioted when Lane Kiffin went to USC, I think you can appreciate how insane a passionate SEC fan base can get. Cal used to joke about getting for sale signs put on his lawn if he doesn’t win… well that’s about to be just the beginning in Lexington.

The Kiffin thing paled in comparison to the protests when Greg Schianno was hired and then unhired, so yeah, I can relate. The UT forum is more giddy this morning about the UK schiitshow than they are having a team with a legit shot at making the first Final Four team in the school's history.

Social media is the unofficial meeting place of the worst faction of every fan base, and is on steroids at places like UT and UK.

Question - if this comes to pass and Cal is gone, who do you see as a viable replacement? I hear mention of guys like Oats and Pearl, but I think both, given their loose cannon-like personalities, would be eaten alive in that pressure cooker. The coach I think could handle it and thrive there is Scott Drew. But he has been at Baylor forever, won a title there, and already said he's not interested in the Louisville job.

How weird is it that the Louisville and Kentucky jobs might just be open in the same off season?
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#186 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:48 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

The Kiffin thing paled in comparison to the protests when Greg Schianno was hired and then unhired, so yeah, I can relate. The UT forum is more giddy this morning about the UK schiitshow than they are having a team with a legit shot at making the first Final Four team in the school's history.

Social media is the unofficial meeting place of the worst faction of every fan base, and is on steroids at places like UT and UK.

Question - if this comes to pass and Cal is gone, who do you see as a viable replacement? I hear mention of guys like Oats and Pearl, but I think both, given their loose cannon-like personalities, would be eaten alive in that pressure cooker. The coach I think could handle it and thrive there is Scott Drew. But he has been at Baylor forever, won a title there, and already said he's not interested in the Louisville job.

How weird is it that the Louisville and Kentucky jobs might just be open in the same off season?

If I'm being honest, the real move that everyone at UK would hate but is the right move would be going after Tony Bennett from UVA. I know he's painfully boring and has won only once, but he's the closest thing to the "good ole days" of recruiting 3/4 stars (some of them from Kentucky), they stay for 2-3 years, and we are perennial contenders (to varying degrees). Coached well, can form a relationship with the players, yada yada. The things Kentucky fans have been clamoring for since the beginning but have relented due to Cal's success.

That said, everyone would hate the move immediately because Bennett only has ultra good defensive teams and the offense is exceptionally boring.

Oats and Drew are the coaches du jour in the Kentucky circles right now. Billy Donovan has always been the "coach that got away", so he might have gotten his NBA fill at this point. I think Pearl would listen but I don't think it'd be received well and he doesn't seem like a character the UK athletic department wants to involve themselves with. I always thought Chris Beard would have been the eventual option, but no way with his arrest.

It's a weird time to be looking for a coach. Louisville will be the one who DGAF and will take anyone. Chris Beard would actually suit them well and would kinda scare me.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#187 » by mjkvol » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:16 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

If I'm being honest, the real move that everyone at UK would hate but is the right move would be going after Tony Bennett from UVA. I know he's painfully boring and has won only once, but he's the closest thing to the "good ole days" of recruiting 3/4 stars (some of them from Kentucky), they stay for 2-3 years, and we are perennial contenders (to varying degrees). Coached well, can form a relationship with the players, yada yada. The things Kentucky fans have been clamoring for since the beginning but have relented due to Cal's success.

That said, everyone would hate the move immediately because Bennett only has ultra good defensive teams and the offense is exceptionally boring.

Oats and Drew are the coaches du jour in the Kentucky circles right now. Billy Donovan has always been the "coach that got away", so he might have gotten his NBA fill at this point. I think Pearl would listen but I don't think it'd be received well and he doesn't seem like a character the UK athletic department wants to involve themselves with. I always thought Chris Beard would have been the eventual option, but no way with his arrest.

It's a weird time to be looking for a coach. Louisville will be the one who DGAF and will take anyone. Chris Beard would actually suit them well and would kinda scare me.

Bennett, wow. I can't imagine that hire being well received, and 3-4 years of being a solid-but-unspectacular, very consistent program doesn't seem like it would sit well at an historically 'Final Four or bust' program that generally goes for the big fish.

Agree, Louisville will likely end up hiring Beard or Pearl, if he chooses to make a move.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#188 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:51 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Bennett, wow. I can't imagine that hire being well received, and 3-4 years of being a solid-but-unspectacular, very consistent program doesn't seem like it would sit well at an historically 'Final Four or bust' program that generally goes for the big fish.

Agree, Louisville will likely end up hiring Beard or Pearl, if he chooses to make a move.

Definitely wouldn't be well received. Kentucky fans are too used to "flashy" prospects. That's important to them. But they also want 4 year players. The fan base is incredibly contradictory (and stupid).

I'd be pretty indifferent toward that hire, tbh. I think he'd have a level of resources he hasn't seen before, so he can recruit at a high level, have a better offense than he's used to at Virginia while still maintaining that staunch defense he's known for. But I don't know if he wants to deal with the BS that comes with 5 star recruiting (promises, egos, etc) nor do I think he wants to deal with this insane fan base.

I think in the end it'll be Billy Donovan to be honest. Would be a gigantic splash. Former Pitino assistant at Kentucky. Obviously had a few excellent Florida teams. NBA success (or lack thereof) won't really matter to the fan base. He's on the scorching hot seat and will either get fired or be heavily suggested by UK to step down and come to Lexington. I also think that would be a mistake for Kentucky since he's been out of the college game for some time. His last year was even pretty disastrous before leaving for OKC.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#189 » by mjkvol » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:53 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Definitely wouldn't be well received. Kentucky fans are too used to "flashy" prospects. That's important to them. But they also want 4 year players. The fan base is incredibly contradictory (and stupid).

I'd be pretty indifferent toward that hire, tbh. I think he'd have a level of resources he hasn't seen before, so he can recruit at a high level, have a better offense than he's used to at Virginia while still maintaining that staunch defense he's known for. But I don't know if he wants to deal with the BS that comes with 5 star recruiting (promises, egos, etc) nor do I think he wants to deal with this insane fan base.

I think in the end it'll be Billy Donovan to be honest. Would be a gigantic splash. Former Pitino assistant at Kentucky. Obviously had a few excellent Florida teams. NBA success (or lack thereof) won't really matter to the fan base. He's on the scorching hot seat and will either get fired or be heavily suggested by UK to step down and come to Lexington. I also think that would be a mistake for Kentucky since he's been out of the college game for some time. His last year was even pretty disastrous before leaving for OKC.

First they have to deal with Cal, who doesn't sound like he's ready to go gently into that good night. I'm sure Barnhart would love to move on, but $33 mil is a truckload, especially for a basketball program, big as Kentucky is.

I was just thinking, the UT-UK games would certainly be rock fights with Bennett and Barnes squaring up.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,845

Post#190 » by Mik317 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:26 pm

the college draft prospects have been asssssssss so far lol
#NeverGonnaBeGood
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,565

Post#191 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:39 am

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]

Future Sixer
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#192 » by Kobblehead » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:00 pm

Colorado vs. Marquette will be a joy to watch in regards to guard play.

KJ Simpson vs. Tyler Kolek
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#193 » by mjkvol » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:03 pm

76ciology wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]

Future Sixer

Looks like a college kid playing against 8th graders.

Someone is going to make a huge mistake in the draft if they're picking this kid as anything but a backup center.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#194 » by Kobblehead » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:01 pm

Dayton eliminated, but Dayron Holmes is a great basketball player. I would take this dude at #15. He does it all. Rebounds, blocks, passes, hits threes, scores in the post, is an athlete that can defend in space and run on the break.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#195 » by Kobblehead » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:09 am

Zeigler needs to reign it in offensively. He needs to just playmake because he can't score efficiently whatsoever.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#196 » by Kobblehead » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:02 am

Zeigler and Knect are taking and missing some really bad shots in this game.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#197 » by Kobblehead » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:38 am

Clutch free throws for Knect.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#198 » by mjkvol » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:35 am

Horrid, ugly win, but a win nonetheless. Relentless defense, controlled the boards on both ends, and Knecht with some money free throws.

I just saw a stat - UT became the first team in NCAA tournament history to win a game shooting less than 35% from the floor and 15% from 3. Teams that did that were 0-66 before tonight.

They won't beat Creighton shooting anything like that.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#199 » by mjkvol » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:36 am

Kobblehead wrote:Zeigler and Knect are taking and missing some really bad shots in this game.

ZZ was trying to make things happen because UT couldn't throw it in the ocean. He may have forced some things, but they don't win this game without him.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#200 » by Kobblehead » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:12 pm

Terrence Shannon is just dominating teams single-handily right now. If it wasn't for legal issues, I think he'd go lotto.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers