Around the League: 2023-24 Season

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,592

Re: Around the League: 2023-24 Season 

Post#1481 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:05 am

Kobblehead wrote:
Jailblazers7 wrote:I’m curious to see how other players adjust to Wemby long term. Part of his disruption right now is due to players being shocked by his length & uncertain how to play against it. That may never change but players will find his pressure points and develop counters.

The best way to counter length in other sports (MMA, boxing, football, etc) is to get in close. Attack Wemby by running through his chest. Which is what Embiid did successfully a lot in the game he dropped 70+ on him.

Wemby will always have a problem with power players. He has awful body type for maintaining strength. Similar to Nerlens Noel, he's too narrow. His shoulder length does not bode well for him ever carrying enough weight to anchor in the post.

Just my two cents.

He can slide to PF with a banger that would handle this type of big. Similar set-up to KG and Anthony Davis, both are NBA champions. And since he can shoot, that C doesnt necessarily need to be able to shoot.

Once that is settled, Wemby can just roam around where he can cover so much ground from the perimeter to the rim.

If im Spurs, im building a Celts type team with Wemby playing KP’s role
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,109

Post#1482 » by Kobblehead » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:29 pm

76ciology wrote:Just my two cents.

He can slide to PF with a banger that would handle this type of big. Similar set-up to KG and Anthony Davis, both are NBA champions. And since he can shoot, that C doesnt necessarily need to be able to shoot.

Once that is settled, Wemby can just roam around where he can cover so much ground from the perimeter to the rim.

I very much agree with that strategy. I just don't know if the Spurs do. Wemby has played exclusively at C this year. And in all their most played lineups, they have a jumbo wing in Sochan at his PF. Spurs seems to be valuing "mobility" over functionality.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1483 » by 76ciology » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:58 am

Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:Just my two cents.

I very much agree with that strategy. I just don't know if the Spurs do. Wemby has played exclusively at C this year. And in all their most played lineups, they have a jumbo wing in Sochan at his PF. Spurs seems to be valuing "mobility" over functionality.

It seems to me that the Spurs are gearing towards a Celtics-type build, with all those wings like Vassell, Johnson, and Sochan. My gut feeling is that their prototype guard was Dejounte. Then, they're money-balling (not spending a lot while getting a good return in talent) the center spot with Zach Collins, Bassey, and others.

This could also explains why Sochan was playing point guard to start the season. They also had Branham playing that role when Tre Jones was out. Eventually they need Tre Jones to play heavy minute to help Wemby secure the ROY award.

Just imagine how good this Spurs team could be on defense if all those guys can switch on defense and stay on their man with Wemby providing weakside help.

And I find that once you get a go to guy 4-5 who can shoot, things can get really easy on offense for you can have the other frontcourt just be at the dunker spot to score high % shots similar to Aaron Gordon. Then have 1-2-3 spots be filled with guys who can be decent in shoot and create which is abundant nowadays. They dont need to be elite for they can dump it to Wemby for all of those high pressured moments.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,427

Post#1484 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:46 pm

I think I’m becoming a full on Wendy hater. The DPOY hype he’s getting is so frustrating to me. The Spurs have a bottom 3rd defense this year, which you’d expect to be way better for an elite DPOY center.

I get that he’s a generational talent & it’s super exciting. But we can all wait to give him his accolades until he’s actually earned them.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 620

Post#1485 » by brannigan73 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:04 am

So Jrue Holiday resigned with the Celtics for four four years and 135 mil which works out to 33.75 million a year. He turned down a player option year for 37 million a decent little discount for the Celtics. Also, Im going to make a guess that Holiday probably could have signed a max contract for substantially more then 33.75 million per if he tested the free agent market. Must be nice to be the Celtics and have players give you big discounts lol. They are going to keep that insane 5 together because Porzingis and Holiday signed for less then they would have have been offered if they tested the free agent market. Again must be nice to be the Celtics!
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1486 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:07 am

Defense at the center position is also perplexing. Gobert was once criticized for his inability to step out and defend perimeter players, while Jokic faced scrutiny for being a defensive liability. However, both players have managed to turn it around. Perhaps having a combination of high basketball IQ, mobility, and length suggests that it then all comes down to conditioning and effort?

On a semi related note regarding defense. I heard in windy’s podcast months ago where McMahon said Luka is playing good defense and his ISO defense was much improved.

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]

Mavs are 16-2 over an 18-game span for the first time since their championship season in 2011.

For all of the big numbers Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving are putting up, the most impressive stat is that Dallas has the league’s No. 1 defense during this run.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1487 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:08 am

<6'4 players starting for legit contenders rn:

BOS - 0
MIL - 1 (Dame Lillard)
DEN - 0
MIN - 1 (Mike Conley)
OKC - 1 (Lu Dort)
LAC - 0
PHX - 0

There just aren't very many serviceable NBA starters <6'4 in today's NBA.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,750

Post#1488 » by the_process » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:57 pm

brannigan73 wrote:So Jrue Holiday resigned with the Celtics for four four years and 135 mil which works out to 33.75 million a year. He turned down a player option year for 37 million a decent little discount for the Celtics. Also, Im going to make a guess that Holiday probably could have signed a max contract for substantially more then 33.75 million per if he tested the free agent market. Must be nice to be the Celtics and have players give you big discounts lol. They are going to keep that insane 5 together because Porzingis and Holiday signed for less then they would have have been offered if they tested the free agent market. Again must be nice to be the Celtics!

The Celtics will be trading Jaylen Brown within two years. And after Tatum gets his and Porzingis and Jrue, they won't be able to keep Derrick White either. The 2nd apron is an unofficial hard cap. Teams will not be operating there except in one off scenarios like running back a title team.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,154

Post#1489 » by Arsenal » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:28 pm

76ciology wrote:<6'4 players starting for legit contenders rn:

BOS - 0
MIL - 1 (Dame Lillard)
DEN - 0
MIN - 1 (Mike Conley)
OKC - 1 (Lu Dort)
LAC - 0
PHX - 0

PHX, LAC, and MIL are not “legit contenders.”

Add NYK and PHI and you have the real list for this year.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,861

Post#1490 » by Negrodamus » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:57 pm

76ciology wrote:<6'4 players starting for legit contenders rn:

BOS - 0
MIL - 1 (Dame Lillard)
DEN - 0
MIN - 1 (Mike Conley)
OKC - 1 (Lu Dort)
LAC - 0
PHX - 0

If you did <=6’4, then the Celtics have 2, lol. I’m not sure there’s much of a different between 6’3 and 6’4.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,861

Post#1491 » by Negrodamus » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:08 am

Huge game for Cam Thomas… in another loss. Modern age Monta Ellis.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1492 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:02 am

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]

Isaiah Joe 2.0
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1493 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:05 am

Looks very much us last season
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,938

Post#1494 » by mjkvol » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:36 pm

76ciology wrote:

There's a definite connection there .... just can't put my finger on it.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#1495 » by rzzzzz » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:13 pm

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:

There's a definite connection there .... just can't put my finger on it.

Think I’d rather play them first before getting bruised by the Knicks. (It figures that all 3 games are at 1pm, so won’t know if we’re better off just letting Jo heal a couple more days.)
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,552

Post#1496 » by SixthStreet » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:30 pm

I don't know why the huge workup over the Knicks. They are an overall low talent team that grinds out regular season wins with effort. High floor low ceiling that we won't have much trouble dismissing.

They have 3 more wins than us with Embiid missing half the season. I must be missing something that has everyone so anxious over the Knicks.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,865

Post#1497 » by Mik317 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:45 pm

They have blown us out twice and have the big burly bodies to throw at a still gimpy Biid. Not saying they are world beaters but they do match up with us especially if OG is back.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,938

Post#1498 » by mjkvol » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:13 pm

rzzzzz wrote:Think I’d rather play them first before getting bruised by the Knicks. (It figures that all 3 games are at 1pm, so won’t know if we’re better off just letting Jo heal a couple more days.)

Quite frankly, I'd sit Embiid tomorrow.

1. Win or lose, we have no idea where we're going to end up, and we're playing next week regardless.

2. If we can't beat a dead and looking for the exit Brooklyn team without Embiid, maybe we shouldn't be playing next week.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,529

Post#1499 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:03 pm

This Embiid situation sucks. He did finish the game (we knew that would happen), and then of course an injury report came out the following morning (we also knew that would happen). I'm hoping for the best. I think we can beat the Nets without Embiid on Sunday. Play-in starts on the 16th, playoffs start on the 20th. I think at this point, the sixth seed is important because it allows Embiid to rest. He did not look good running last night after halftime. At this point, it'll be whatever it's going to be. We're either bound for the play-in or we get the sixth seed. Embiid chose to come back and play, six games in and he's hurt again. Some of us didn't think it was a good idea for him to return but it doesn't matter now. Two weeks ago, I was fine with our impending fate. He returns, I get my hopes up and now they are tapering yet again. Obviously, we'll hope for the best, but we've seen this before.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1500 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:18 am

SixthStreet wrote:I don't know why the huge workup over the Knicks. They are an overall low talent team that grinds out regular season wins with effort. High floor low ceiling that we won't have much trouble dismissing.

They have 3 more wins than us with Embiid missing half the season. I must be missing something that has everyone so anxious over the Knicks.

Typical 1-5 PnR heavy paper tiger team. Wont be that effective once teams starts playing drop defense less in the playoffs.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers