Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Re: Fantasy Trade Thread 

Post#1161 » by the_process » Mon Feb 5, 2024 4:24 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
the_process wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:Killian Hayes, Wiseman, and Joe Harris for Tobi?

No idea why but apparently the Pistons are still interested in Tobi. Wouldn’t hate getting a look at Hayes and Wiseman if this season is going to go down the toilet anyway.

If you can't get any picks or anyone better? Then why not. If you add Korkmaz to the deal you sneak under the tax as well.

Having bird rights of Tobias Harris (who is flawed, but still good) is far more valuable than having two young players, who theoretically could (maybe) have potential as rotation players in the future.
Next year we need to contend, they will not play for us at that point anyway. And I'd argue we could still be in the playoffs with a recovered Embiid this year.

Morey has no plans of keeping Bird rights. Morey thinks he's signing FA's.

We know Harris is flawed and disappears twice as often as he shows up. His stats do not tell the real story of his game (just like how net rating is not the be all end all of team stats). So why are we keeping him now?

Let's say Jo is back April Fools Day. In that time without him, the Sixers will fall to at least seventh in the conference, and possibly even farther. Which means the absolute best case scenario this season now has them opening on the road in a 2-7 matchup with the Bucks. With a Joel that is still rusty and out of shape.

If you want to say "any given Sunday", or if you're ownership and you want a couple playoff games... then more power to you.
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#1162 » by PhillyFan11 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 4:40 pm

the_process wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
the_process wrote:
If you can't get any picks or anyone better? Then why not. If you add Korkmaz to the deal you sneak under the tax as well.

Having bird rights of Tobias Harris (who is flawed, but still good) is far more valuable than having two young players, who theoretically could (maybe) have potential as rotation players in the future.
Next year we need to contend, they will not play for us at that point anyway. And I'd argue we could still be in the playoffs with a recovered Embiid this year.

We know Harris is flawed and disappears twice as often as he shows up. His stats do not tell the real story of his game (just like how net rating is not the be all end all of team stats). So why are we keeping him now?

Let's say Jo is back April Fools Day. In that time without him, the Sixers will fall to at least seventh in the conference, and possibly even farther. Which means the absolute best case scenario this season now has them opening on the road in a 2-7 matchup with the Bucks. With a Joel that is still rusty and out of shape.

If you want to say "any given Sunday", or if you're ownership and you want a couple playoff games... then more power to you.

Yeah I’m not sure bird rights matter that much for Tobi. Morey wants to free up max cap space and then sign/trade for someone. After that Maxey’s big extension using bird rights and filling out the rest of the roster will likely put us close to, if not over, the tax. Can’t see Tobi fitting into that equation unless Morey strikes out and it’s a last second desperation reunion.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1163 » by the_process » Mon Feb 5, 2024 6:19 pm

For those fans of shuffling deck chairs:

DET gets Tobias and Covington
MIN gets Monte Morris and House
PHI gets Joe Harris, Wiseman, Kyle Anderson, and Troy Brown
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,185

Post#1164 » by M2J » Mon Feb 5, 2024 7:05 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:
the_process wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

Yeah I’m not sure bird rights matter that much for Tobi. Morey wants to free up max cap space and then sign/trade for someone. After that Maxey’s big extension using bird rights and filling out the rest of the roster will likely put us close to, if not over, the tax. Can’t see Tobi fitting into that equation unless Morey strikes out and it’s a last second desperation reunion.

Bird rights matter for Tobi and Melton plenty if Morey is trying to maintain flexibility and depth for a contender sometime in the next 2 years. Starting over in the summer is going to likely leave the team thin, and I don't know what they're going after.

If you get one or both of them to stay on a tradable contract, then that's valuable. If he feels he can't, he should trade them now... Or at least use some of the other expiring pieces to get talent before letting them walk as they can be valuable this season.

This team is currently void of talent with the Harden trade. Deep, but lacks a certain punch.
PhillyFan11
Rookie

Post#1165 » by PhillyFan11 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 8:49 pm

M2J wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:
the_process wrote:

Bird rights matter for Tobi and Melton plenty if Morey is trying to maintain flexibility and depth for a contender sometime in the next 2 years. Starting over in the summer is going to likely leave the team thin, and I don't know what they're going after.

If you get one or both of them to stay on a tradable contract, then that's valuable. If he feels he can't, he should trade them now... Or at least use some of the other expiring pieces to get talent before letting them walk as they can be valuable this season.

This team is currently void of talent with the Harden trade. Deep, but lacks a certain punch.

Melton I agree with, his contract will be reasonable and he provides good depth when healthy.
I just think Tobi’s contract is going to still be big enough that it’s going to be prohibitive to what Morey wants to do and what he’s actually worth. I guess there is an outside chance of a S&T, but there’s also a team like the Pistons that can offer Tobi a contract with cap space. Just hard for me to see how the team improves keeping Tobi @ $25M(ish) a year unless there is a S&T set up.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,185

Post#1166 » by M2J » Mon Feb 5, 2024 10:45 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:
M2J wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:

Melton I agree with, his contract will be reasonable and he provides good depth when healthy.
I just think Tobi’s contract is going to still be big enough that it’s going to be prohibitive to what Morey wants to do and what he’s actually worth. I guess there is an outside chance of a S&T, but there’s also a team like the Pistons that can offer Tobi a contract with cap space. Just hard for me to see how the team improves keeping Tobi @ $25M(ish) a year unless there is a S&T set up.

If Tobias contract isn't tradable, then he gotta go
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,846

Post#1167 » by Ben » Tue Feb 6, 2024 12:36 am

the_process wrote:For those fans of shuffling deck chairs:

DET gets Tobias and Covington
MIN gets Monte Morris and House
PHI gets Joe Harris, Wiseman, Kyle Anderson, and Troy Brown

Oh my goodness. So much worse than just Tobi. No offense intended, I like your trade proposals generally, but doesn't this seem to you less like shuffling the deck chairs than throwing them overboard?
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 914

Post#1168 » by Decipher » Tue Feb 6, 2024 12:41 am

As a Nets fan, I can confirm that Joe Harris has looked completely washed for a couple of years

Aren’t you guys potentially better off bringing Harris back on a contract which makes sense?

Good player but problem has always been his existing deal
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,572

Post#1169 » by 76ciology » Tue Feb 6, 2024 1:24 am

Tobias trades:
- John Collins, THT + Taylor Hendricks or Sensabaugh
- Jonathan Isaac, Gary Harris and Fillers
- Chris Paul + Moses Moody or Kuminga or Podz
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhillyFan11
Rookie

Post#1170 » by PhillyFan11 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:33 am

Decipher wrote:As a Nets fan, I can confirm that Joe Harris has looked completely washed for a couple of years

Aren’t you guys potentially better off bringing Harris back on a contract which makes sense?

At least for me personally, it’s about fit.
When you’re building a championship roster around a 7’ C and a 6’2 scoring G you really have to surround them with 3 things…
1. High level perimeter D
2. High volume & % 3 point shooting for spacing
3. Rebounding and help D around the rim
(Obviously there are other needs but those things plague the Sixers consistently)

Not saying Tobi is horrible at any of those things…but he certainly isn’t good at any of them either.
Leaving Tobi in the starting lineup between Jo and Maxey really pigeon holes what you need out of the other 2 starters and handcuffs Morey in terms of roster building.

But are there worse emergency plans to have than bringing back Tobi? Of course. But I don’t see how you play it safe with the Sixers when the window to winning a championship with Embiid is closing more and more rapidly
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,921

Post#1171 » by mjkvol » Tue Feb 6, 2024 11:35 am

PhillyFan11 wrote:
Decipher wrote:As a Nets fan, I can confirm that Joe Harris has looked completely washed for a couple of years

At least for me personally, it’s about fit.
When you’re building a championship roster around a 7’ C and a 6’2 scoring G you really have to surround them with 3 things…
1. High level perimeter D
2. High volume & % 3 point shooting for spacing
3. Rebounding and help D around the rim
(Obviously there are other needs but those things plague the Sixers consistently)

Not saying Tobi is horrible at any of those things…but he certainly isn’t good at any of them either.
Leaving Tobi in the starting lineup between Jo and Maxey really pigeon holes what you need out of the other 2 starters and handcuffs Morey in terms of roster building.

But are there worse emergency plans to have than bringing back Tobi? Of course. But I don’t see how you play it safe with the Sixers when the window to winning a championship with Embiid is closing more and more rapidly

100% this. It's always been way more about fit for me than the contract, as hideous as that contract was, for all the reasons you stated. I'll go so far as to say that committing anything close to $25 million a year for Tobias to return practically insures that if there was a 'Plan A', it failed and Morey is salvaging what he can next summer, meaning that in all likelihood the possibility of us seeing another true contender in Embiid's time here is remote at best.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
the_process
RealGM

Post#1172 » by the_process » Tue Feb 6, 2024 11:52 am

76ciology wrote:Tobias trades:
- John Collins, THT + Taylor Hendricks or Sensabaugh
- Jonathan Isaac, Gary Harris and Fillers
- Chris Paul + Moses Moody or Kuminga or Podz

Don't like the ORL trade, but definitely on board with the other two.

GSW you'd have to play with the salaries a little; but Collins, THT, and Sensabaugh for Harris and Korkmaz works and gets the Sixers below the tax line.

I'd be willing to roll the dice on Collins. Theoretically he gives you the rebounding, shooting, and weak side shot blocking you need next to Jo. He just has a long history of quitting when he feels like he's not getting enough touches.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1173 » by the_process » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:45 pm

DAL gets Wiggins
DET gets Tobias, Hardaway, and Korkmaz
GSW gets Bojan
PHI gets Josh Green, Joe Harris, Wiseman, and 26 GSW 1st top 10 protected
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,921

Post#1174 » by mjkvol » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:34 pm

The sad thing is that none of these trades move the needle in any meaningful way, kind of like rearranging the deck chairs. But if we can somehow wrangle another 1st without taking on any real salary beyond this season, I'm for it.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
PhillyFan11
Rookie

Post#1175 » by PhillyFan11 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 8:33 pm

Sixers out: Tobi, Morris, ‘24 2nd & ‘29 2nd
Sixers in: Paul, Moody, Hield, I. Jackson

Warriors out: Wiggins, Paul, Moody
Warriors in: Tobi, Morris, ‘24 & ‘29 2nd

Pacers out: Hield and I. Jackson
Pacers in: Wiggins
the_process
RealGM

Post#1176 » by the_process » Wed Feb 7, 2024 6:25 am

“Sixers still buying at deadline”
“Sixers interested in Buddy Hield”

That smoke says selling is in the cards. Which is certainly what they should do.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1177 » by the_process » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:32 pm

But here's a buying idea anyway.

CHA gets Morris, Covington, 26 GSW 1st top 10 protected, 4 2nds from PHI
GSW gets Harris and Bouknight
IND gets Wiggins
PHI gets Washington, Paul, and Hield
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,939

Post#1178 » by Foshan » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:04 pm

I wonder if we could get Smith and Jackson in a Hield deal. like a Reed/Smith swap, some incentive... but hield has been pretty terrible this season i thought, so i'm not sure that we'd be giving up much for just him.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,518

Post#1179 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:51 pm

Foshan wrote:I wonder if we could get Smith and Jackson in a Hield deal. like a Reed/Smith swap, some incentive... but hield has been pretty terrible this season i thought, so i'm not sure that we'd be giving up much for just him.

Jalen Smith would be a massive upgrade over Paul Reed. I would give up some picks to acquire him if Hield is attached to the deal. I like Smith, he's an underrated big and Indy would foolish to trade him, but with Siakam there I think the door is open for it to happen. In a perfect world we find a way to acquire Smith without giving up Reed. Smith steps in right away and becomes the starting center for us while Biid is out. Next season he slides over the 4 spot vacated by Tobias Harris. Smith is a sleeper on the rise and it would be a genius move on the part of Morey if he pulled him in a trade with Buddy Hield. Not only would it make acquiring Buddy Hield easier to stomach, but it would basically ensure us that we always have a viable replacement for Embiid AND we'd be getting a starting power forward for next season all in one player. If Jalen Smith is even a possibility, we need to be on that. If the punishment is taking Hield back then I'm all for it.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1180 » by LloydFree » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:17 am

If all it took was two 2nd round picks, 3-5 years from now, the 76ers should have been all over Xavier Tillman.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to Philadelphia 76ers