ImageImageImage

We can win a title with this team if healthy

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Dnt hate
Sixth Man
And1: 899

We can win a title with this team if healthy 

Post#1 » by Dnt hate » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:27 pm

Ive seen enough, not a hot take: with Batum and Oubre we have a chance to beat Celtics in a 7 game series. Morey absolutely needs to bring them both back on 2 to 3 year contracts.

Batum+Oubre>>>Harden :nod:
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Re: We can win a title with this team if healthy 

Post#2 » by sixers4real » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:33 pm

I love german beer as well
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
Dnt hate
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#3 » by Dnt hate » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:48 pm

We're easily better than last year. We were up 3 2 vs Boston last year. Batum is much better than I thought at this age. Yes I would want to add Siakam or OG but if healthy I think we have a good chance.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,956

Post#4 » by Mik317 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:58 pm

I don't believe this but hey positive energy and all that jazz...**** yeah
#NeverGonnaBeGood
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#5 » by FlyingArrow » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:30 pm

We've been in the "can win" category since 2019. Unfortunately, our chances have only been about 5 to 10% per year. We're better this year, so maybe this year our chances have doubled. That's still only 10-20% chance of winning it all. And we still aren't the favorites, but yeah - we can win.
SixersSince82
Junior
And1: 205

Post#6 » by SixersSince82 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:31 pm

They need another scorer. Joel can't be the closer, and if Maxey is too scared to take the ball from him then we need another guy who isn't afraid.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,582

Post#7 » by Black Mage » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:37 pm

I'm game for this positivity. We won 1 and played them close in second on a b2b and 3 in 4. Maxey looks tried as did Joel.

Get healthy, give those 2 some rest and acquire a role player glue guy and let's ride.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,115

Post#8 » by TheBallsDeeper » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:39 pm

Dnt hate wrote:Ive seen enough, not a hot take: with Batum and Oubre we have a chance to beat Celtics in a 7 game series. Morey absolutely needs to bring them both back on 2 to 3 year contracts.

While I don't think the Sixers can win it all with this roster - Harden was a negative, both on the court and benched. A toxic person that doesn't play winning basketball.

Not sold on Batum, but Oubre is great pickup.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#9 » by FlyingArrow » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:56 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
Dnt hate wrote:Ive seen enough, not a hot take: with Batum and Oubre we have a chance to beat Celtics in a 7 game series. Morey absolutely needs to bring them both back on 2 to 3 year contracts.

While I don't think the Sixers can win it all with this roster - Harden was a negative, both on the court and benched. A toxic person that doesn't play winning basketball.

Not sold on Batum, but Oubre is great pickup.

Batum has been a good player for us, but at 35 there's a definite expiration date. Never know, though. It could be next week or it could be 4 years from now.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,612

Post#10 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:29 am

From what I've seen so far is this team struggles with fast, athletic teams, and good three point shooting teams. How do we combat that? I feel like OG Anunoby OR Brandon Ingram are the missing pieces. Until we get a player similar to their measurables and skill set we aren't Finals contenders. Right now we've got the ammo to get either one of them. We would royally screw that up by making a panic trade for Zach Lavine.

This team is fun and that was the objective going into the season. This is going to be a fun season, but the Finals are probably not in our reach this year.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,115

Post#11 » by TheBallsDeeper » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:27 am

Getting Levine would be a terrible move. He's like Carmello, Harden and Mitchell - great stats but no defense, and doesn't seem to want to try on that end. He's a negative on the court.

Sixers have one very good scorer who doesn't add much else in Maxey, the two of them together would be the worst defensive backcourt in the league (to be fair to Maxey, at least he tries on that end, he's just too small and gets targeted by smart teams)

They **** the bed in not getting Jrue. The Sixers need a big two-way point guard to cover for Maxeys lack of defensive ability and playmaking.

Probably too late now, but If there was a chance to move Maxey and a couple of firsts for SGA that would make this team a definite contender.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Post#12 » by brannigan73 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:08 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:Getting Levine would be a terrible move. He's like Carmello, Harden and Mitchell - great stats but no defense, and doesn't seem to want to try on that end. He's a negative on the court.

Sixers have one very good scorer who doesn't add much else in Maxey, the two of them together would be the worst defensive backcourt in the league (to be fair to Maxey, at least he tries on that end, he's just too small and gets targeted by smart teams)

They **** the bed in not getting Jrue. The Sixers need a big two-way point guard to cover for Maxeys lack of defensive ability and playmaking.

Probably too late now, but If there was a chance to move Maxey and a couple of firsts for SGA that would make this team a definite contender.

Actually the advanced plus minus stats say he is an average defender and a great offensive player and certainly not a negative overall. The Bulls have a trash roster outside of him Vucevic and DeRozan. My concern would be he seems to be quite frequently battling knee problems. He is a really good player though a scoring machine not afraid to pull the trigger and I believe a 50/40/90 guy or very close to it on high volume. When you can score like that high volume/good efficiency its almost impossible to be a net negative.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,804

Post#13 » by the_process » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:43 pm

Batum was planning to retire, and we can fairly easily discern his wife is not happy about the move. (What's with all the personal days, Nic?)

Oubre, setting aside whatever happened with his injury and assuming he continues with his same play the rest of the year, is likely going to outplay anything the Sixers will want to pay. There's a good chance he gets more than the MLE somewhere. His track record says you can't pay that.

They are better than we expected without Harden. Can we just leave it there?? Although, since Harden did prove addition by subtraction, I wonder if there's another player on the Sixers who everybody seems to love that if they were replaced with (a) correctly functioning piece(s), suddenly everything would get better?
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#14 » by Iverson Armband » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:01 pm

the_process wrote:

Batum was planning to retire, and we can fairly easily discern his wife is not happy about the move. (What's with all the personal days, Nic?)

Oubre, setting aside whatever happened with his injury and assuming he continues with his same play the rest of the year, is likely going to outplay anything the Sixers will want to pay. There's a good chance he gets more than the MLE somewhere. His track record says you can't pay that.

They are better than we expected without Harden. Can we just leave it there?? Although, since Harden did prove addition by subtraction, I wonder if there's another player on the Sixers who everybody seems to love that if they were replaced with (a) correctly functioning piece(s), suddenly everything would get better?

I hope all the folks who were still clinging on to Harden out of desperation can finally see it was addition by subtraction dropping that anchor.
always a jump shot away.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,474

Post#15 » by Eyeamok » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:14 pm

The in season tournament right?
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 856

Post#16 » by Ferry Avenue » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:04 pm

Until the team is led by a player(s) driven to win a championship and with the ability to spur the team in that direction at critical moments, they have a slim to none chance of winning one. Right now the team is led by Embiid and Maxey, and neither of them displays the sheer will to win at that level.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,804

Post#17 » by the_process » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:17 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:Until the team is led by a player(s) driven to win a championship and with the ability to spur the team in that direction at critical moments, they have a slim to none chance of winning one. Right now the team is led by Embiid and Maxey, and neither of them displays the sheer will to win at that level.

I don't think you can make that determination on Maxey yet.

You've also left out the other so-called leader of the team. Tobias doesn't get a pass for his well documented shrinking violet tendencies.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,537

Post#18 » by Jailblazers7 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:32 pm

There literally hasn’t been a problem yet that Maxey hasn’t been able to solve through hard work & experience. Could be that he can’t carry us in playoff crunch time but I wouldn’t bet against him.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,785

Post#19 » by 76ciology » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:55 pm

Key in winning the title is to have a back-up plan when Embiid is spiritually absent.

Good bigs are easy to find. Get a Nic Claxton/Jarett Allen type big then shift into a guard heavy offense then have the big protect the rim and catch lobs, if Embiid is going through “it”.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Iscull
Senior
And1: 133

Post#20 » by Iscull » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:14 pm

76ciology wrote:Key in winning the title is to have a back-up plan when Embiid is spiritually absent.

Good bigs are easy to find. Get a Nic Claxton/Jarett Allen type big then shift into a guard heavy offense then have the big protect the rim and catch lobs, if Embiid is going through “it”.

I thought Reed has looked pretty solid so far. Obviously not Embiid level, but one of the better backup centers.

What I think we need another bench scorer with the JR Smith/Oubre mindset of putting up shots when Maxey/Embiid are having a slower game. Batum and Covington certainly help, but I think adding another guard would be a huge boost.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers