Game 26: Bulls @ Sixers 12/18 @ 7pm EST

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Zumramania
Senior
And1: 426

Re: Game 26: Bulls @ Sixers 12/18 @ 7pm EST 

Post#161 » by Zumramania » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:23 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:The move to make is exchanging Harris for Siakam.

What is the incentive for the Raptors.

The problem with Harris is that he plays 30+ minutes regardless of his performance essentially because of his contract and even because there is politics involved (I suspect Morey thinks that Harris is better than he actually is). This team never had the guts to restrict minutes of a max contract player.

This is why I believe that we would be better even if we traded Harris for nothing, it is addition by subtraction.
If we don't trade him, I just hope that he will be more irrational than Morey in his overevaluation and sign for another team for more money than we would offer to him.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,781

Post#162 » by 76ciology » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:30 pm

OG Anunoby averages 1ppg less than Tobi, while playing on a team without a dominant scorer.

Just imagine how much we are gonna complain when he score 10pts or less whenever we lose games.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#163 » by 76ciology » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:33 pm

Tobi +6 in 31mins
Maxey +11 39mins
Embiid -5 37mins
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,081

Post#164 » by mjkvol » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:37 pm

76ciology wrote:Tobi +6 in 31mins
Maxey +11 39mins
Embiid -5 37mins

Just shows how misleading +/- numbers can often be.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,612

Post#165 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:56 pm

I don't think we're going to trade Harris, but I don't think he's going to re-sign here after this summer. My vote and my hope is that we let him walk. The only way I'd entertain the idea of bringing him back is if it's done on a very low number. I think Tobias has been a total pro during his tenure here, but I think it's time for a mutual parting and it can and will be done on good terms this summer. I see no scenario currently where we trade him unless a team like Toronto suddenly pulls the plug on the season and becomes desperate for cap space this summer.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#166 » by 76ciology » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:06 pm

The thing about Harris is he is willing to play 3&D role and he can also be a 18ppg scorer.

And in this game with Biid and Maxey being able to score efficiently, he was asked to play 3&D, where he limited Demar to 15pts on 5 of 15 shooting.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#167 » by 76ciology » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:11 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I don't think we're going to trade Harris, but I don't think he's going to re-sign here after this summer. My vote and my hope is that we let him walk. The only way I'd entertain the idea of bringing him back is if it's done on a very low number. I think Tobias has been a total pro during his tenure here, but I think it's time for a mutual parting and it can and will be done on good terms this summer. I see no scenario currently where we trade him unless a team like Toronto suddenly pulls the plug on the season and becomes desperate for cap space this summer.

It depends on the trade market, which wont start until Feb 1 at the earliest.

I also think Tobi’s value is nowhere as low as what we assume it to be.

Tobi’s an OG. Its rare to find a player who’s willing to sacrifice his role for the team. You can just look at the Nets squad and their team is filled with role players who wants to get their own.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#168 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:24 pm

76ciology wrote:The thing about Harris is he is willing to play 3&D role and he can also be a 18ppg scorer.

And in this game with Biid and Maxey being able to score efficiently, he was asked to play 3&D, where he limited Demar to 15pts on 5 of 15 shooting.

Personally, my complaints don't have anything to do with Harris. He is what he is and we could do a lot worse at the position he plays. He's a professional, he never complains, he's not a distraction, he's got a nice skill set, and he can hit threes. I have no issues with the guy whatsoever aside from his massive contract. I'm still picking him over Dorian Finney-Smith, Maxi Kleber, Torrey Craig, or Chris Boucher. I specifically name these guys because they all play the same position as Harris and they are all within his age range.
Tobias Harris is a prime example of an underappreciated player that you miss once he's actually gone. Like I said, it's the contract that makes him so easy to criticize. I think we do part ways at the end of the year with him as it's probably in everyone's best interest.

Switching stances here,
My complaints with this current roster reside with our guards. Right now I feel like we've got two playoff playable guards on this roster with Maxey and Melton. After that, we've got Beverly who is useful at times but can't be counted on as a full-time capable backup. Especially at 35 years old. Jaden Springer is probably worth the squeeze if we decide to eventually play him, but he's not going to give us what we need from the guard position at this time. We need another primary handler with some size that is able to play and defend either guard position. You pair that mystery player with Maxey and Melton and you've got one hell of a dynamic trio to throw at teams. Having another guard like that also allows for Springer to actually play and settle into a role. I think ironically it's Patrick Beverly that's holding Springer back at the moment and that's because Beverly isn't a point guard and doesn't have the size to make up for it. But...You take a player like Spencer Dinwiddie and put him on this roster and you can have Springer play alongside him because Dinwiddie can create offense for others and it keeps Springer from having to play a role that he'll probably never be able to successfully play. Springer is definitely in the future plans with this team, but it's going to have to wait until we get another guard on this team that can stably run an offense.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#169 » by 76ciology » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:40 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
76ciology wrote:The thing about Harris is he is willing to play 3&D role and he can also be a 18ppg scorer.

Personally, my complaints don't have anything to do with Harris. He is what he is and we could do a lot worse at the position he plays. He's a professional, he never complains, he's not a distraction, he's got a nice skill set, and he can hit threes. I have no issues with the guy whatsoever aside from his massive contract. I'm still picking him over Dorian Finney-Smith, Maxi Kleber, Torrey Craig, or Chris Boucher. I specifically name these guys because they all play the same position as Harris and they are all within his age range.
Tobias Harris is a prime example of an underappreciated player that you miss once he's actually gone. Like I said, it's the contract that makes him so easy to criticize. I think we do part ways at the end of the year with him as it's probably in everyone's best interest.

Switching stances here,
My complaints with this current roster reside with our guards. Right now I feel like we've got two playoff playable guards on this roster with Maxey and Melton. After that, we've got Beverly who is useful at times but can't be counted on as a full-time capable backup. Especially at 35 years old. Jaden Springer is probably worth the squeeze if we decide to eventually play him, but he's not going to give us what we need from the guard position at this time. We need another primary handler with some size that is able to play and defend either guard position. You pair that mystery player with Maxey and Melton and you've got one hell of a dynamic trio to throw at teams. Having another guard like that also allows for Springer to actually play and settle into a role. I think ironically it's Patrick Beverly that's holding Springer back at the moment and that's because Beverly isn't a point guard and doesn't have the size to make up for it. But...You take a player like Spencer Dinwiddie and put him on this roster and you can have Springer play alongside him because Dinwiddie can create offense for others and it keeps Springer from having to play a role that he'll probably never be able to successfully play. Springer is definitely in the future plans with this team, but it's going to have to wait until we get another guard on this team that can stably run an offense.

I see this roster as clay that we'll shape once we understand the landscape better. Teams like the Clippers, Bucks, and Celtics appear more polished, making us seem less developed when compared. Experiencing this is important, so we don't get fooled into thinking we don't need improvement, especially with our team having the second-best NetRtg in league history.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#170 » by 76ciology » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:49 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:The move to make is exchanging Harris for Siakam.

What is the incentive for the Raptors.

This allows them to compete in the short term, with Tobi playing either as a 3&D role, similar to last year, or a Siakam-lite role, relying on his efficient 18ppg scoring while Barnes handles much of the heavy lifting. Adding a pick and possibly a pick swap is a must.

Alternatively, the Raptors get nothing and let Siakam walk.

The overall deal depends on whether Siakam wants to stay with us. I don't see us making a deal unless he plans to re-sign. He has a close relationship with Rico Hines, a member of our coaching staff, which could be a factor.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#171 » by 76ciology » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:53 pm

Embiid should have taken the jump shot on the last possession. I believe he thought he was close to the rim and was aiming for a dunk. Maybe being tired led to that decision-making mistake.

Either that or he thought he was Wemby
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#172 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:22 am

76ciology wrote:Embiid should have taken the jump shot on the last possession. I believe he thought he was close to the rim and was aiming for a dunk. Maybe being tired led to that decision-making mistake.

He was clearly going for the finish at the rim. His momentum is what did him in. He was charging too hard at the rim I think. The play reminded of the ones in the NFL where the player starts to run before actually catching/securing the football. Jo knew defenders were going to rush him so he had to go fast. It was just a blundering blooper of a handle on his part and he should be embarrassed. That was Jordan Poole level foolery. #ShaqtinAFool
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,801

Post#173 » by the_process » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:53 am

brannigan73 wrote:
the_process wrote:Nothing has changed about the outlook for this team because they kicked away a winnable game in December against a bad Chicago team.

I would like to take this opportunity to **** on Tobias, however. No one ever again should say things like “we can’t trade him for that, he’s too good”. Ham ******* sandwich. That is an acceptable return. Get this dude outta here for the love of God.

Ive read in a few places Detroit might be interested in him. Trade him Straight up for Bogey who is only guaranteed 2 million next year. Bogey has no problem being a sniper who takes a ton of spot up threes and will never play 30+ minutes in a game and take only 3 shots because when he gets it and has a sliver of day light its going up. Tobi has never been comfortable in that role. He likes to play around with the ball before he shoots it and has many games where he feels like shooting the rock is cancer causing. Bogey would average 20ppg on the Sixers will all the open threes he would get.

Tobias makes too much to trade for Bogdanovic straight up.

Frankly, I'd like to steal one of their kids.

Detroit needs a locker room guy, a vet stabilizing presence, and something to break the monotony of losing.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 856

Post#174 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:55 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
76ciology wrote:Embiid should have taken the jump shot on the last possession. I believe he thought he was close to the rim and was aiming for a dunk. Maybe being tired led to that decision-making mistake.

He was clearly going for the finish at the rim. His momentum is what did him in. He was charging too hard at the rim I think. The play reminded of the ones in the NFL where the player starts to run before actually catching/securing the football. Jo knew defenders were going to rush him so he had to go fast. It was just a blundering blooper of a handle on his part and he should be embarrassed. That was Jordan Poole level foolery. #ShaqtinAFool

The problem with that play is what will always be the problem with that play -- it's the wrong kind of player doing it. At those points in games you need a player who can break down defenders off the dribble and be a three-level scorer who can create his own shot or get fouled.

When you're down on the scoreboard late in the game in the NFL you don't hand the ball to a running back. You let the quarterback make the play. Joel Embiid is the best "running back" in the NBA in a league in which quarterbacks win games.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,828

Post#175 » by phillynative » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:06 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

Yea he lost the ball as he went up. Maxey set him up perfectly.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#176 » by phillynative » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:20 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

The problem with that play is what will always be the problem with that play -- it's the wrong kind of player doing it. At those points in games you need a player who can break down defenders off the dribble and be a three-level scorer who can create his own shot or get fouled.

When you're down on the scoreboard late in the game in the NFL you don't hand the ball to a running back. You let the quarterback make the play. Joel Embiid is the best "running back" in the NBA in a league in which quarterbacks win games.

I disagree. It was the right play that involved the right players. Maxey took Vuch( who he is 3 times quicker than), drove into the lane , collapsed the defense and dumped it off to Embiid right outside of the paint area where he is elite scoring the ball.

Once Embiid got the ball he was in a perfect position to score whether he shot a short jumper, drop step in for a lay in or baby hook or took it in strong for a dunk. He lost the ball going up and blew it.

Maybe Maxey should of took the last shot but there were players under the rim he would have to finish over.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,956

Post#177 » by Mik317 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:25 pm

I wish we’d stop using other sports as examples when it doesn’t really apply like you think it does lol

I don’t think Biid can be a closer (although iirc a few years back he was statistically the most clutch or some **** lol) but of all of his final shots that was one you’d go to again if given the choice imo

To use the stupid nfl analogy the ball was on the one yard line and he just stumbled at the hand off and gave the defense a chance to get back into the play. Sucks and yuu hate to see if but you don’t pull a Russell Wilson and throw it next time lol
#NeverGonnaBeGood
phillynative
General Manager

Post#178 » by phillynative » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:01 pm

Also looking at the play again. I can give the Bulls credit. They defended the play well knowing the sixers only had 5sec and the ball was going to go to either Maxey or Embiid like it has all game.

We had our 5 best offensive players on the floor. Embiid&Maxey on the left side of the floor and Oubre,Tobias and Melton all in the right corner. The paint was packed and they were just about useless. Coby White completely left Melton and helped out on Embiid that turned out to be the defensive play of the game.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 856

Post#179 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:23 pm

phillynative wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

I disagree. It was the right play that involved the right players. Maxey took Vuch( who he is 3 times quicker than), drove into the lane , collapsed the defense and dumped it off to Embiid right outside of the paint area where he is elite scoring the ball.

Once Embiid got the ball he was in a perfect position to score whether he shot a short jumper, drop step in for a lay in or baby hook or took it in strong for a dunk. He lost the ball going up and blew it.

Maybe Maxey should of took the last shot but there were players under the rim he would have to finish over.

You're viewing the play within the context of the players the Sixers currently have. That's the problem -- they don't have the kind of player who would offer a completely different and likely more effective play in that situation.

Again, if you have no "quarterback," you have to hand the ball to a "running back." And that's far less effective, regardless of how good the running back is.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers