ImageImageImage

Game 36: Sixers @ Hawks 1/10 @ 7:30 pm ET Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,298

Re: Game 36: Sixers @ Hawks 1/10 @ 7:30 pm ET Thread 

Post#101 » by Murray_17 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:17 am

I swear Tobias must be the guy who gets blocked at the rim the most on the entire league.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,096

Post#102 » by Embiid P » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:17 am

As soon as Maxey fouled out, I knew that we were done. Oh well.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,069

Post#103 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:19 am

Who we need is someone more like Jalen Johnson, but of course that's only a dream.

I'm tired of midget ball though, at least the trade brought us length....although its old length
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,493

Post#104 » by eyeatoma » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:19 am

NVM, just watched the rest of the game. Lame foul call on Tyrese...That wasn't a foul...
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#105 » by AI_Efficiency » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:20 am

In the other thread regarding the overall season, there was talk of not wanting to get Siakam in free agency because then we would really only have him, Maxey and Embiid. After watching some of these games without Joel though, like how valuable really are any of these other guys. I feel like they are all just replacement level players with Melton and Tobias worth a bit more than that. At least if we sign Siakam as a FA, we could then use our picks to upgrade later.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,742

Post#106 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:22 am

Siakam wouldn’t have missed that shot at the rim and can shoot better than 1/2 on 3s
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,603

Post#107 » by NYSixersFan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:24 am

Good news - 15 straight games of 30 and 10 for Embiid and if we lose in the first round, Reed's contract voids and it's an extra 8 mil of cap space.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,202

Post#108 » by M2J » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:27 am

AI_Efficiency wrote:In the other thread regarding the overall season, there was talk of not wanting to get Siakam in free agency because then we would really only have him, Maxey and Embiid. After watching some of these games without Joel though, like how valuable really are any of these other guys. I feel like they are all just replacement level players with Melton and Tobias worth a bit more than that. At least if we sign Siakam as a FA, we could then use our picks to upgrade later.

Depth, it takes time to build. Why wait past this MVP caliber year to pick up a near 30 year old and then require a year or 2 to build depth by drafting, and using exceptions. Who cares what they look like without Joel, it's all about what everyone looks like with Joel and Maxey
WoyTreaver
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#109 » by WoyTreaver » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:28 am

Negrodamus wrote:
WoyTreaver wrote:Totally a foul. Hawks announcers are homers

Not calling that at the end of a game.

All arm, no ball
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man

Post#110 » by AI_Efficiency » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:32 am

M2J wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:In the other thread regarding the overall season, there was talk of not wanting to get Siakam in free agency because then we would really only have him, Maxey and Embiid. After watching some of these games without Joel though, like how valuable really are any of these other guys. I feel like they are all just replacement level players with Melton and Tobias worth a bit more than that. At least if we sign Siakam as a FA, we could then use our picks to upgrade later.

Depth, it takes time to build. Why wait past this MVP caliber year to pick up a near 30 year old and then require a year or 2 to build depth by drafting, and using exceptions. Who cares what they look like without Joel, it's all about what everyone looks like with Joel and Maxey

If we can get a needle moving player this year, I’m all for it. Just not sure we can and I don’t think Maxey and Embiid can win it all with this supporting cast.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#111 » by brannigan73 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:32 am

I honestly feel like some of you are being purposely obtuse. We aren't talking about retaining any of those clippers guys when people talk about bird rights we are talking about Melton and anybody we acquire at the he dead line on the last year of his contract. I'm talking about adding 2 to 3 guys who are collectively more valuable then Siakam. Also why couldn't we trade for Siakam at the trade deadline if we wanted him that badly.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,202

Post#112 » by M2J » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:33 am

AI_Efficiency wrote:
M2J wrote:

If we can get a needle moving player this year, I’m all for it. Just not sure we can and I don’t think Maxey and Embiid can win it all with this supporting cast.

They can get a needle mover. They can't win it with this roster

Look I was the one pushing for Zach Lavine earlier in the season, because he was and will be the absolute best offensive fit for this roster and I don't think he's as bad defensively as people making him out to be. With the right team.

However in the last few weeks a few better options such as Murray have clearly become available. Even since then Laurie has been known to become available, Siakam too, Mitchell maybe.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man

Post#113 » by AI_Efficiency » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:44 am

brannigan73 wrote:

I honestly feel like some of you are being purposely obtuse. We aren't talking about retaining any of those clippers guys when people talk about bird rights we are talking about Melton and anybody we acquire at the he dead line on the last year of his contract. I'm talking about adding 2 to 3 guys who are collectively more valuable than Siakam. Also why couldn't we trade for Siakam at the trade deadline if we wanted him that badly.
I guess it’s all about who you add. Idk that our 3 first round picks let us add 2-3 guys that give us a better chance at a ring than Siakam would. I also don’t think Toronto wants to give us Siakam at a decent value at this point, but we will see what happens. Like a fair amount of contending teams have 3 first round picks or more. If it was that easy to add 2-3 above replacement guys, I think they would just cut us in line.

Edit: I am hopeful though that Siakam telling all these teams he won’t re-sign with them could drive down the price for us to get him this year for decent value.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,940

Post#114 » by Mik317 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:27 am

Long Word Vomit Post that a random game against the Hawks without Biid doesn't deserve incoming

Team is in a weird spot in terms of what it needs, if they can get it and when they should try to get it. The Harden trade replinished the war chest a bit but we are still at the "next move is kind of IT" stage as it will pretty much lock in THE TEAM for another season and then it will probably be the rebuild via a Biid trade...be it by his request or not.

So what do we go for. Ideally we can find a guy who can shoot, defend and create his own shot when needed and is big enough to play next to Maxey but also off ball enough to allow Maxey and Biid to "cook"....that guy is Kevin Durant ffs lol..not a realistic get..so maybe relent on some of that. Thats Siakam or Grant. Well Masai is a nutter like Darryl so that would be the most annoying negotiation ever lol and he might hate our coach. Grant would be a fun story BUT I think he makes sense for other teams who have better assets that a rebuilding Blazers team would want. Okay so lets go elsewhere...Derozan? He fits the size and is another creator but is not great defensively, is old, doesn't take 3s and is another playoff dropper. LaVine has a bad contract... but shoots off ball but is also bad defensively and the Bulls were better w/o him. Murray feels like overlap w/ Melton but does solve our creation issues when Maxey is off the floor and atleast tonight shot off ball (was bunz down the stretch tonight lol....) and while we hate him at times...trading Tobias for him means we get smaller and more Morris sadly, no?

Basically idk what we do at this point and yet any move we make can be justified but never proven correct until the playoffs anyway....and even then Biid will somehow break a toe and we will have a "well if he didn't trip over Franklin maybe...."

If it were me and I'd had the knowledge of time, id trade for some lottery ticket youth and see if we can unearth some hidden gems instead of going all in on any of the above guys..but thats not realistic either. As is the team over relies on two dudes to do it all and have too many guys who are liabilities on one or both ends but play well off said two guys...and that does not work in the playoffs.

But again whatever is done I can justify it but something needs to be done soon lol as I am tired of THIS version of the team lol.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,800

Post#115 » by LordCovington33 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:13 am

WoyTreaver wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
WoyTreaver wrote:Totally a foul. Hawks announcers are homers

Not calling that at the end of a game.

All arm, no ball

Just finished watching the game on LP. Watched the hawks feed. It was a laughable moment when they said it was all ball.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,800

Post#116 » by LordCovington33 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:16 am

Embiid must feel happy knowing his 30-10 record is in tact. Still can’t get over the fact of leaving him in during the Knicks blowout when he was hobbling.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,493

Post#117 » by eyeatoma » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:21 am

LordCovington33 wrote:Embiid must feel happy knowing his 30-10 record is in tact. Still can’t get over the fact of leaving him in during the Knicks blowout when he was hobbling.

This is the same franchise that let him play a game on a torn meniscus in the regular season. Don't put anything past them. I blame Embiid, but also our idiot franchise...
76ciology
RealGM

Post#118 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:25 am

Read on Twitter

‪Thats why players dont play defense nowadays. Specially guards. Because they have to stay close and guess where the player with the ball will go, where wings and bigs have the length to sag off giving them more time to react.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sortpar
Sixth Man
And1: 792

Post#119 » by sortpar » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:59 am

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

‪Thats why players dont play defense nowadays. Specially guards. Because they have to stay close and guess where the player with the ball will go, where wings and bigs have the length to sag off giving them more time to react.

It's so frustrating that Young has be able to get away with intentionally running into the defender and then reacting like he was just shot by a cannon. I would be nice to see a defender actually pop him with a good hit one game and then actually allow him a few legit free throws.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#120 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:20 am

sortpar wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's so frustrating that Young has be able to get away with intentionally running into the defender and then reacting like he was just shot by a cannon. I would be nice to see a defender actually pop him with a good hit one game and then actually allow him a few legit free throws.

Don’t you think NBA prefers teams to throw multiple defender in this type of situation by Maxey funneling it to a help defender then the ball/player would rotate?

Have to watch the tape again but seems like thats what we’ve been doing then the slasher would kick it to the left corner shooter.

It’s also one of the reason why teams like to add size at 4&5 because its hard to play defense without sending help and rotate.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers