ImageImageImage

76ers 2023-24 Season Thread Part 2

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Re: 76ers 2023-24 Season Thread Part 2 

Post#1881 » by Monix » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:35 am

Kobblehead wrote:Sign Grayson Allen to a decent multiyear contract in the $20m per year range.

uh...what?
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,563

Post#1882 » by NYSixersFan » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:09 am

Which of these options do you prefer?

1) lose to the Celtics in the 1st round
2) lose to Doc and the Bucks in the 1st round
3) lose to the Heat in the play in
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,183

Post#1883 » by M2J » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:22 am

fkd215 wrote:People are focusing on what big names Morey will bring in, but what I think will actually be decisive is how he does on the less splashy signings. He's going to have to pull not just 1 or 2 rabbits out of a hat, but 9 or 10. He'll have to:
-- get several quality contributors for the vet minimum,
-- draft guys who can contribute on day one with 1 FRP and a couple 2nds (he'll probably have to look in the draft at high floor, low ceiling guys who spent 3-4 years in college, with Jaime Jaquez as the prototype),
-- and still hit on his major signings.

It's a serious task he has ahead of him.

It certainly is a difficult task that he's already completed. I've been tough on Morey, but I give him credit for piecemealing this team together while trying to keep flexibility.. I was super happy from day one with the Kelly Oubre signing and he's matched those expectations as essentially the replacement for Harden.... Then he added Buddy to the mix too with Batum. Also Payne and Kyle. The only issue remains the backup center position which is ridiculous at this point.

They need to resign their free agents this summer that's it and that's all... So long as they are paid to deals that are easily tradable. That includes paying Kelly. All of this should be doable, and I do think Morey understands that. Also, all of the key free agents should be paid 20 million or less. Melton has had back issues lingering. Hield and Tobias are who they are, But are exiting their prime and just both are coming off of contracts that no one wanted to trade for. Taking decent deals to stay on the contender that they are familiar with seems like the easy move. Same with Oubre.

Hopefully keep Lowry and Batum on minimum type deals. Then you have a deep team with a year at least of playing in this system and 2 all NBA talents for them to play off of. If someone becomes unaffordable, you still have a deep roster with several draft picks.

Run this team back and stay flexible for moves that can not handicap the team like signing Paul George, losing all your depth and starting over there with a team that lacks depth and has 2 injury prone superstars.... See Phoenix. The Clippers got away with it because they were already deep and traded for Harden by using expiring talent, not quality talent they really needed.

Now hopefully more evaluation can take place in 2 weeks with a fully healthy roster.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#1884 » by Kobblehead » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:28 pm

People are too caught up in the aura of Kelly Oubre, IMO.

.063 win shares per 48 this season (down from career .067 for his career)
-7.9 on/off plus minus this season (down from career -4.1 for his career)

This dude legitimately sucks and there's a strong case that he's having his worst season of his career. Resigning him would be outright nonsensical IMO.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,011

Post#1885 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:30 pm

Kobblehead wrote:People are too caught up in the aura of Kelly Oubre, IMO.

.063 win shares per 48 this season (down from career .067 for his career)
-7.9 on/off plus minus this season (down from career -4.1 for his career)

This dude legitimately sucks and there's a strong case that he's having his worse season of his career. Resigning him would be outright nonsensical IMO.

Wow, so much wrong in a post. Oubre brings passion and toughness, and does all the little things that are not conveyed by spreadsheets. He is also a good defender and it's something that's certainly needed when you have a traffic cone in maxey on the floor.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 617

Post#1886 » by brannigan73 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:18 pm

We won't be signing Paul George as a free agent. Isn't it more beneficial financially for a player leaving a team to sign with the team and then be traded like Butler to the Heat. Point being we will be giving the Clippers something George won't come here if he can't get the most money possible while doing it. It won't be near what George is worth but could involve a first or two. If George comes here it will be a sign and trade.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#1887 » by rzzzzz » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:42 am

NYSixersFan wrote:Which of these options do you prefer?

Just make it to the play-in, somehow, with Embiid healthy for once. Then I don’t care who we play.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Post#1888 » by the_process » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:07 am

Monix wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Sign Grayson Allen to a decent multiyear contract in the $20m per year range.

uh...what?

Agreed, hard pass on Grayson. Whiny little b****** not welcome.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1889 » by the_process » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:09 am

3 by far.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1890 » by Kobblehead » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:11 am

We've had way worse personalities on this roster over the last 5 years than Grayson Allen.

His advanced numbers are insane. We need positive impact players to bolster lineups. Allen does that. That's all that matters.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,568

Post#1891 » by 76ciology » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:54 am

We need a player who can draw extra defensive attention and pass to open scorers. This could be someone who excels individually like Paul George or Donovan Mitchell, or a player who can effectively run the two-man game with Maxey, forcing defenses to send help if they switch (like Siakam). Otherwise, adding players like Buddy Hield or Grayson Allen won't make sense, as teams can neutralize them by staying on them, switching on screens or defending our scorers one-on-one.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1892 » by Kobblehead » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:13 am

This league is trending away from having a third star.

Any other HUGE usage player beyond Embiid/Maxey could cause diminishing returns.

Maxey and Embiid and more than enough scoring. I think we'd be better served by just surrounding them with positive impact role players like Grayson Allen, etc.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1893 » by 76ciology » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:21 am

Kobblehead wrote:This league is trending away from having a third star.

Any other HUGE usage player beyond Embiid/Maxey could cause diminishing returns.

Maxey and Embiid and more than enough scoring. I think we'd be better served by just surrounding them with positive impact role players like Grayson Allen, etc.

Yes, the league is moving away from relying on a third star, but we must consider the inconsistency of Embiid and the significant role he plays on our team.
And thats probably why Morey is going after a third star.

As long as Embiid is part of our team, we require a third star or at least someone who can effectively run the two-man game with Maxey, forcing the defense to send help and create open looks for shooters. Until then, paying a premium for shooters like Hield (or Grayson) doesn't make sense.

Alternatively, we could consider replacing Maxey with a player who can single-handedly create open looks for teammates and distribute the ball effectively (i.e Mitchell).
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1894 » by 76ciology » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:25 am

Celtics. So we would know what we should tweak in the offseason
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,919

Post#1895 » by mjkvol » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:54 pm

76ciology wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:This league is trending away from having a third star.

Yes, the league is moving away from relying on a third star, but we must consider the inconsistency of Embiid and the significant role he plays on our team.
And thats probably why Morey is going after a third star.

As long as Embiid is part of our team, we require a third star or at least someone who can effectively run the two-man game with Maxey, forcing the defense to send help and create open looks for shooters. Until then, paying a premium for shooters like Hield (or Grayson) doesn't make sense.

Alternatively, we could consider replacing Maxey with a player who can single-handedly create open looks for teammates and distribute the ball effectively (i.e Mitchell).

I would argue that if we're constructing the roster with the focus being on Embiid not being able to run the necessary actions, or worse yet being absent, then what's the damn point, anyway? Just blow it up already.

Forget the "third star", who would end up being an injury prone player or one past his prime, and would cripple the ability to add quality depth pieces. To me, that is the ticket to a couple of early playoff exits followed by a slide back into mediocrity.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,605

Post#1896 » by FireMorey » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:52 pm

Is it too early to add the Hield trade to the list of Morey moves that didn't work out with his minutes in major decline now?

I don't want to act like it's some franchise altering trade that screwed the Sixers for all eternity, but for a "top 5 GM" you'd be hard pressed to find a more blah and mediocre resume of moves with the Sixers than his moves.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1897 » by the_process » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:54 pm

76ciology wrote:

Celtics. So we would know what we should tweak in the offseason

They've lost to the Celtics enough, tyvm.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1898 » by the_process » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:55 pm

FireMorey wrote:Is it too early to add the Hield trade to the list of Morey moves that didn't work out with his minutes in major decline now?

I don't want to act like it's some franchise altering trade that screwed the Sixers for all eternity, but for a "top 5 GM" you'd be hard pressed to find a more blah and mediocre resume of moves with the Sixers than his moves.

It's all about this offseason. Gotta get it done. This is the one chance with flexibility before Maxey's contract caps them out for good.

Three years until the rebuild.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#1899 » by youngcrev » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:27 pm

To lose to the Celtics in the 1st round you'd also have to lose to the Heat in the play in.

#2 feels like the obvious preference (you'd at least beat the Heat in that one).

Although if we take this as a trick question, you could pick lose the Heat, and then have them go on a run after :o
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,563

Post#1900 » by NYSixersFan » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:31 pm

youngcrev wrote:

To lose to the Celtics in the 1st round you'd also have to lose to the Heat in the play in.

#2 feels like the obvious preference (you'd at least beat the Heat in that one).

Although if we take this as a trick question, you could pick lose the Heat, and then have them go on a run after :o

To answer my own question, I'd rather lose in the play in, which means losing to the Heat and Bulls/Hawks.

I don't wanna lose to the Celtics again nor do I wanna lose to Doc. Plus it would give us a lottery pick.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers