76ers 2023-24 Season Thread Part 2

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Re: 76ers 2023-24 Season Thread Part 2 

Post#1941 » by the_process » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:55 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:I don't agree that Derozan is a better pick-up than Paul George. There's nothing to convince me of this except perhaps for clutch-time statistics. The only scenario where adding Derozan makes sense is if George isn't available and it's the best alternative move. I believe this sentiment is influenced by recency bias because we've been lacking a go-to option in recent games, and having Derozan could have made a significant difference.

Lastly, adding a shooting guard who averages less than 1 three-point shot per game with a shooting percentage of 33% won't complement this team well. Such numbers are typically acceptable for a power forward or center, not a shooting guard.

PG has a FTr of .213. He doesn’t get to the line. Shooting threes is cool in the regular season, but when the teams start taking that away, the foul line is where we will need to get our points. We already have Maxey to spam threes (and eventually go cold like last year). Just find 3&D players to fulfill this role. We don’t need to pay PG the max to shoot ill advised threes and have an inflated view of his role on the team.

Refs swallow whistles in the postseason. Drawing fouls is not a reliable source of postseason offense. See: Harden, James and Embiid, Joel.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,844

Post#1942 » by Negrodamus » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:11 pm

the_process wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:I don't agree that Derozan is a better pick-up than Paul George. There's nothing to convince me of this except perhaps for clutch-time statistics. The only scenario where adding Derozan makes sense is if George isn't available and it's the best alternative move. I believe this sentiment is influenced by recency bias because we've been lacking a go-to option in recent games, and having Derozan could have made a significant difference.

Lastly, adding a shooting guard who averages less than 1 three-point shot per game with a shooting percentage of 33% won't complement this team well. Such numbers are typically acceptable for a power forward or center, not a shooting guard.

PG has a FTr of .213. He doesn’t get to the line. Shooting threes is cool in the regular season, but when the teams start taking that away, the foul line is where we will need to get our points. We already have Maxey to spam threes (and eventually go cold like last year). Just find 3&D players to fulfill this role. We don’t need to pay PG the max to shoot ill advised threes and have an inflated view of his role on the team.

Refs swallow whistles in the postseason. Drawing fouls is not a reliable source of postseason offense. See: Harden, James and Embiid, Joel.

Yea but that hasn't been the case for guys who aren't baiting for fouls. See: Butler, Jimmy and even DeRozan, DeMar. FTA doesn't really dip that much between playoffs and reg season for those guys (when they make it).
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,148

Post#1943 » by Arsenal » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:51 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:Will George really have the 76ers as leverage? Somehow I can't see Morey breaking the bank to sign him, despite the rumors.

I think Morey’s reputation as a star hunter makes us a credible threat to sign George to a max or near max contract. No clue if we will actually do it or if George would really be ok with moving to Philly tho.

Even if we don't really want PG (and we shouldn't at the MAX), it's in our best interest to bid up the price so Clips are forced to pay him the MAX. Which may also force them to MAX Harden.

That is a great way to torpedo their future, which we want since we have their future picks.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,861

Post#1944 » by Phila Tough » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:52 pm

lol @ people still finding a way to whine about Embiid on the GB when he hasnt played in two months
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,451

Post#1945 » by Eyeamok » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:53 pm

Phila Tough wrote:lol @ people still finding a way to whine about Embiid on the GB when he hasnt played in two months

They hate him because he is not on their team.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Phila Tough
Head Coach

Post#1946 » by Phila Tough » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:57 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:lol @ people still finding a way to whine about Embiid on the GB when he hasnt played in two months

They hate him because he is not on their team.

It's fine to not like him, but to claim that he's untalented and relies only on FTS despite getting doubled/tripled all game is just ignorant.
Phila Tough
Head Coach

Post#1947 » by Phila Tough » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:07 pm

I hope Harden doesn't get Booed tonight. Bro actually possibly gave our front office/Embiid onc more crack at building a better roster with the cap space we'll have. Maxey is better because of him, and the two years while he was here gave us some good moments. Game 1 vs Boston one of the best playoff performances in a while from a Sixers guard
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Post#1948 » by the_process » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:21 pm

Phila Tough wrote:I hope Harden doesn't get Booed tonight. Bro actually possibly gave our front office/Embiid onc more crack at building a better roster with the cap space we'll have. Maxey is better because of him, and the two years while he was here gave us some good moments. Game 1 vs Boston one of the best playoff performances in a while from a Sixers guard

Agreed, let's not boo Harden. His beef was very clearly with Morey only.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,235

Post#1949 » by eyeatoma » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 am

Read on Twitter
?t=LfJXwm_Kd5CfpK9Ks1Ko2A&s=19

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1950 » by eyeatoma » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 am

Read on Twitter
?t=Us964GUzZSWggDrn174YDg&s=19

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#1951 » by DCasey91 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Hot take: DeRozan is a better fit on this team and more affordable than George. Would surely play better, especially with Tobi gone.

Yeah, right on to that. If we're going with an older vet, then I'd rather have Derozan over George at this point.

How so? PG is a gun on both sides of the ball, taller more athletic, defence, and brings more space with shooting on the outside. More room inside for Maxey/Embiid.

Derozan is vastly overrated. PG has carried and been the lead head of multiple conference final appearances

He’s had an elite netrtg his whole entire career. Derozan hasn’t. Why? Dude is a trash defender, PG is the opposite

His career best year was with Pop and a specific system put into place

George can play with anyone

Actually I can’t think of a better player to suit that wing role....

You know that position we’ve been trying to fill for over a half decade?

It’s like saying here’s the perfect player but I prefer the worse one.

I don’t get this type of thinking

Negrodamus in what world is Derozan a better fit than Paul George with Embiid and Maxey? That makes zero sense at all.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,921

Post#1952 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 am

Phila Tough wrote:I hope Harden doesn't get Booed tonight. Bro actually possibly gave our front office/Embiid onc more crack at building a better roster with the cap space we'll have. Maxey is better because of him, and the two years while he was here gave us some good moments. Game 1 vs Boston one of the best playoff performances in a while from a Sixers guard

All of that, plus I'll always be grateful for whatever part he played in getting Glenn schiitcanned, regardless how small.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1953 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 am

DCasey91 wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Hot take: DeRozan is a better fit on this team and more affordable than George. Would surely play better, especially with Tobi gone.

Yeah, right on to that. If we're going with an older vet, then I'd rather have Derozan over George at this point.

How so? PG is a gun on both sides of the ball, taller more athletic, defence, and brings more space with shooting on the outside. More room inside for Maxey/Embiid.

Derozan is vastly overrated. PG has carried and been the lead head of multiple conference final appearances

He’s had an elite netrtg his whole entire career. Derozan hasn’t. Why? Dude is a trash defender, PG is the opposite

His career best year was with Pop and a specific system put into place

George can play with anyone

Actually I can’t think of a better player to suit that wing role....

You know that position we’ve been trying to fill for over a half decade?

It’s like saying here’s the perfect player but I prefer the worse one.

I don’t get this type of thinking

Negrodamus in what world is Derozan a better fit than Paul George with Embiid and Maxey? That makes zero sense at all.

Because I don’t want to pay $50 mil on a glorified 3&D geriatric when we still don’t have an end-of-game creator on the team. Yea, George fits in anywhere with those traits. We have a specific hole on our offense and it’s not filled by PG.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,572

Post#1954 » by 76ciology » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 am

If you have DeRozan at SG, you will need an elite 3-point shooter at the PF position. An elite 3-point shooter who can also rebound and play defense at PF is rare and expensive.On the other hand, if you have Paul George, you can afford to have a below-average 3-point shooter at PF, as long as they can play defense and rebound, and you would still be fine.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1955 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 am

76ciology wrote:If you have DeRozan at SG, you will need an elite 3-point shooter at the PF position. An elite 3-point shooter who can also rebound and play defense at PF is rare and expensive.On the other hand, if you have Paul George, you can afford to have a below-average 3-point shooter at PF, as long as they can play defense and rebound, and you would still be fine.

Why? To any of this?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1956 » by 76ciology » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:If you have DeRozan at SG, you will need an elite 3-point shooter at the PF position. An elite 3-point shooter who can also rebound and play defense at PF is rare and expensive.On the other hand, if you have Paul George, you can afford to have a below-average 3-point shooter at PF, as long as they can play defense and rebound, and you would still be fine.

Why? To any of this?

Which has a better floor spacing between these two line-ups?

Maxey-Hield-Derozan-Oubre-Embiid

or

Maxey-Hield-George-Oubre-Embiid
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1957 » by 76ciology » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

It's challenging to almost impossible to win in today's basketball when your shooting guard is a below-average 3-point shooter. Winning is already difficult with Embiid, and adding more baggage to the team won't help.

Al Horford could be a better floor spacer than DeMar for Embiid, especially when you consider that both players like to operate around the free-throw line area.

When Embiid or DeMar goes up for their turnaround fadeaway, they'll be surprised to find the defender of their other teammate at the free-throw line area providing help.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1958 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 am

76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Why? To any of this?

or

The second one has better shooting.

The first one gets better looks from three. They also score when the opposing team tightens up its perimeter defense in the second round of the playoffs.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1959 » by 76ciology » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Why? To any of this?

or

The second one has better shooting.

The first one gets better looks from three. They also score when the opposing team tightens up its perimeter defense in the second round of the playoffs.

Because of the spacing problem of the first one, it’s easier to send help and rotate. Opponent’s could also play the numbers game and do just a soft close out on Oubre and Derozan to force them to shoot 3s.

The counter for the first unit then would be to have someone like George Niang or Duncan Robinson at the PF position, but you’d end up with too much baggage on defense with Maxey, Hield, stretch 4, and Demar.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1960 » by eyeatoma » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

Love Kelly, need to make sure we get him next year. Dude's a dawg!

Read on Twitter

Return to Philadelphia 76ers