Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Re: 76ers 2023-24 Season Thread Part 2 

Post#1921 » by TheBallsDeeper » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:36 am

the_process wrote:
76ciology wrote:Offense looks a lot better without Lowry

He's supposed to just be a backup, but because Nurse knows him and trusts him he's become a starter. The problem with coaches.

Sixers signed a washed-up player - that's the problem.

2 other teams threw him on the scrap heap and Philly picked him up and is giving him serious minutes. Another mind-boggling decision.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,451

Post#1922 » by Eyeamok » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:14 am

Jailblazers7 wrote:Clippers/Pelicans is a terrible matchup for the Clippers too. They have so many good, long defenders to throw at Kawhi, PG, and Harden. I could easily see them being a first round exit.

The Clippers get bumped in the first round. What do they say let's run it back because we were healthy but now we are older, less motivated because we got our new contracts and we have our big 3?
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#1923 » by Wilfried » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:22 am

Jailblazers7 wrote:Clippers/Pelicans is a terrible matchup for the Clippers too. They have so many good, long defenders to throw at Kawhi, PG, and Harden. I could easily see them being a first round exit.

Those Clippers picks can be gold
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#1924 » by Eyeamok » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:30 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
the_process wrote:
76ciology wrote:Offense looks a lot better without Lowry

He's supposed to just be a backup, but because Nurse knows him and trusts him he's become a starter. The problem with coaches.

Sixers signed a washed-up player - that's the problem.

2 other teams threw him on the scrap heap and Philly picked him up and is giving him serious minutes. Another mind-boggling decision.

IMO the 76ers signed him for several reasons. 1. Nurse was familiar with him and felt he could trust him. 2. He was not supposed to be a starter he was penciled in as a backup. 3. He is here to Mentor Maxey. Help him get to the next level. Lowry is a championship PG who was never extremely fast or tall but he is smart and understands the game. If he can impart any of that wisdom to Maxey then it is a good good pick up and continues the upward progress of Maxey.

Look at the Rockets when they picked FVV over Harden I laughed said what are they doing. But they hired a solid coach and FVV had spent time with Lowry learning the PG game. Now Houston is exceeding expectations. In no small part to the leadership FVV has given them.

Marlo
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,497

Post#1925 » by elchengue20 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:10 pm

Lowry as a 10/12 min backup was a decent pickup.

Obviously he's not a good player if he's going to start and play 35min.

Team has been depleted by injuries so it is what it is.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,425

Post#1926 » by Jailblazers7 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:14 pm

Eyeamok wrote:

The Clippers get bumped in the first round. What do they say let's run it back because we were healthy but now we are older, less motivated because we got our new contracts and we have our big 3?

They could theoretically run it back but the contract negotiations for George & Harden are going to be extremely difficult. George will have us as leverage & Harden will be his completely delusional self.

George is probably worth the same as Middleton (3/102M) and Harden should honestly be getting like 3/$60m at this stage but both will demand the max.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#1927 » by Stanford » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:32 pm

The Clippers are never going to be bad. Mediocre, maybe. Never bad.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#1928 » by Eyeamok » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:21 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

They could theoretically run it back but the contract negotiations for George & Harden are going to be extremely difficult. George will have us as leverage & Harden will be his completely delusional self.

George is probably worth the same as Middleton (3/102M) and Harden should honestly be getting like 3/$60m at this stage but both will demand the max.

Will George really have the 76ers as leverage? Somehow I can't see Morey breaking the bank to sign him, despite the rumors.

Marlo
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,425

Post#1929 » by Jailblazers7 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:40 pm

Eyeamok wrote:Will George really have the 76ers as leverage? Somehow I can't see Morey breaking the bank to sign him, despite the rumors.

I think Morey’s reputation as a star hunter makes us a credible threat to sign George to a max or near max contract. No clue if we will actually do it or if George would really be ok with moving to Philly tho.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,840

Post#1930 » by Negrodamus » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:43 am

Hot take: DeRozan is a better fit on this team and more affordable than George. Would surely play better, especially with Tobi gone.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,518

Post#1931 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:02 am

Negrodamus wrote:Hot take: DeRozan is a better fit on this team and more affordable than George. Would surely play better, especially with Tobi gone.

Yeah, right on to that. If we're going with an older vet, then I'd rather have Derozan over George at this point.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,569

Post#1932 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:12 am

elchengue20 wrote:Lowry as a 10/12 min backup was a decent pickup.

Lowry is a decent pick-up.

But playing him this much minutes and benching Hield over him are two things i dont understand. Ever since we benched Hield and start Lowry, things seems to go south for Hield.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1933 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:29 am

I don't agree that Derozan is a better pick-up than Paul George. There's nothing to convince me of this except perhaps for clutch-time statistics. The only scenario where adding Derozan makes sense is if George isn't available and it's the best alternative move. I believe this sentiment is influenced by recency bias because we've been lacking a go-to option in recent games, and having Derozan could have made a significant difference.

Lastly, adding a shooting guard who averages less than 1 three-point shot per game with a shooting percentage of 33% won't complement this team well. Such numbers are typically acceptable for a power forward or center, not a shooting guard.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1934 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:30 am

Stanford wrote:The Clippers are never going to be bad. Mediocre, maybe. Never bad.

In today's NBA, it's easier to be mediocre than to be truly bad. The latter requires more effort.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1935 » by Negrodamus » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:13 am

76ciology wrote:I don't agree that Derozan is a better pick-up than Paul George. There's nothing to convince me of this except perhaps for clutch-time statistics. The only scenario where adding Derozan makes sense is if George isn't available and it's the best alternative move. I believe this sentiment is influenced by recency bias because we've been lacking a go-to option in recent games, and having Derozan could have made a significant difference.

Lastly, adding a shooting guard who averages less than 1 three-point shot per game with a shooting percentage of 33% won't complement this team well. Such numbers are typically acceptable for a power forward or center, not a shooting guard.

PG has a FTr of .213. He doesn’t get to the line. Shooting threes is cool in the regular season, but when the teams start taking that away, the foul line is where we will need to get our points. We already have Maxey to spam threes (and eventually go cold like last year). Just find 3&D players to fulfill this role. We don’t need to pay PG the max to shoot ill advised threes and have an inflated view of his role on the team.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1936 » by Negrodamus » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:14 am

76ciology wrote:
Stanford wrote:The Clippers are never going to be bad. Mediocre, maybe. Never bad.

In today's NBA, it's easier to be mediocre than to be truly bad. The latter requires more effort.

Unless you’re in a tiny market where decent players don’t want to live.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,919

Post#1937 » by mjkvol » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:41 pm

76ciology wrote:

And a commissioner who will stay the hell out of your business instead of meddling.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,263

Post#1938 » by bball4life » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:33 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:I don't agree that Derozan is a better pick-up than Paul George. There's nothing to convince me of this except perhaps for clutch-time statistics. The only scenario where adding Derozan makes sense is if George isn't available and it's the best alternative move. I believe this sentiment is influenced by recency bias because we've been lacking a go-to option in recent games, and having Derozan could have made a significant difference.

PG has a FTr of .213. He doesn’t get to the line. Shooting threes is cool in the regular season, but when the teams start taking that away, the foul line is where we will need to get our points. We already have Maxey to spam threes (and eventually go cold like last year). Just find 3&D players to fulfill this role. We don’t need to pay PG the max to shoot ill advised threes and have an inflated view of his role on the team.

Go check Derozan's playoff stats and get back to me on his fit.

On offense I still take George all day every day because at least he creates spacing. Derozan just clogs the paint taking his inefficient mid range jumpers and in the playoffs when teams actually care, he isn't very good at it.

On defense, its like night and day between the two. Good luck hiding Derozan and Maxey at the same time.

I don't think the Sixers should offer George a max deal either by the way. He's not good enough at this point and will probably be hurt half the time. But the answer can't be Demar for building a championship team.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1939 » by Negrodamus » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:46 pm

bball4life wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Go check Derozan's playoff stats and get back to me on his fit.

On offense I still take George all day every day because at least he creates spacing. Derozan just clogs the paint taking his inefficient mid range jumpers and in the playoffs when teams actually care, he isn't very good at it.

On defense, its like night and day between the two. Good luck hiding Derozan and Maxey at the same time.

I don't think the Sixers should offer George a max deal either by the way. He's not good enough at this point and will probably be hurt half the time. But the answer can't be Demar for building a championship team.

I've checked it, I know. He's not a good 1A option, particularly in the playoffs. But he'd be arguably the third option.

DeMar isn't even my main target in the offseason, but he's better than what George would do for us.

We've seen the Sixers go ice cold every single year in the second round. Foul merchants like Embiid and Harden don't get the calls. DeRozan, like Jimmy Butler, actually draws legit fouls. He attacks the basket which opens up the floor for the shooters. If Embiid is doing his flop offense and not getting calls in the playoffs, then our offense comes to a standstill because no one else puts pressure on the defense in the pain.

I don't think DeRozan is the final piece, but if we can't get a disgruntled star via trade this offseason, then we're looking at PG (unlikely tbh and I've already made my argument against him), Miles Bridges, maybe DLO... I mean, what is the alternative here?
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,075

Post#1940 » by Embiid P » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:20 pm

76ciology wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:Lowry as a 10/12 min backup was a decent pickup.

Lowry is a decent pick-up.

But playing him this much minutes and benching Hield over him are two things i dont understand. Ever since we benched Hield and start Lowry, things seems to go south for Hield.

A big reason why Lowry is playing so many minutes is the injury to Melton. When (or if) Melton returns, I expect Lowry's minutes to go down a bit.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers