ImageImageImage

76ers 2023-24 Season Thread Part 2

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,563

Re: 76ers 2023-24 Season Thread Part 2 

Post#1861 » by NYSixersFan » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:31 pm

Giving 34 year old Paul George a 4 year max and then signing a bunch of low cost veterans around them. George and Embid, two guys that have injury track records......Yea, we know how that story will end.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,198

Post#1862 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:58 pm

FireMorey wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:
FireMorey wrote:Signing a 35 year old to a max contract is certainly a choice. A choice that will probably work out well for one season and crash and burn horribly after that. The problem is, in a weak free agent class, I'm not sure there are better options.

There's also the possibility of some star getting disgruntled between now and the upcoming off-season and forcing his way out. We have Embiid & Maxey and cap space to absorb contracts as our selling points.

Brandon Ingram has felt like a future Sixer for some years now for me. There have been rumblings for years that the Pelicans are destined to eventually have to choose between Ingram or Zion and trade one of them. It seems likely they would trade Ingram over Zion.

If the Sixers make a trade... getting a true superstar would be too good to be true. That doesn't happen to Sixers fans. It'll assuredly be someone who is good, but also not quite great enough to where some fans have some reservations about the move. The Sixers emptying their war chest for Ingram feels like a very Sixersy move.

I would love Ingram here. We'd have to give up three 1sts (+/-) and take on his salary. What would you prefer?

A) Sign Paul George to a 4-year max (starting at $49 mil) and keep our picks

B) Trade three 1sts for Brandon Ingram and absorb his $33 mil contract
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,450

Post#1863 » by Eyeamok » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:04 pm

You know if a rumor appears on the front page of Realgm basketball, especially with a picture, you know for sure it's not going to happen. Paul George is not going to be signed here. Bank on that.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#1864 » by Eyeamok » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:06 pm

the_process wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=w8-bFGaZ7OpKsZ-cM1LCcQ&s=19 Save us Jo!!!

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Good news. As long as this team does not fall to the 9th spot in the standings it's all good. 7 vs 8 for the 7th spot. A healthy Embiid and the 76ers have a shot at making the 7th seed and then it's on to a historic playoff run. All the while Embiid will be getting better and better. Good times.

They will lose to Miami in the 7-8 game and beat Chicago in the 8th seed game. Sixers luck. Joel destined to get his ass kicked by Boston over and over again. :lol:

Man don't do that. I have hope...that's all I have right now. Don't take that away from me !

Marlo
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Post#1865 » by the_process » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:15 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
the_process wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
Good news. As long as this team does not fall to the 9th spot in the standings it's all good. 7 vs 8 for the 7th spot. A healthy Embiid and the 76ers have a shot at making the 7th seed and then it's on to a historic playoff run. All the while Embiid will be getting better and better. Good times.

They will lose to Miami in the 7-8 game and beat Chicago in the 8th seed game. Sixers luck. Joel destined to get his ass kicked by Boston over and over again. :lol:

Man don't do that. I have hope...that's all I have right now. Don't take that away from me !

You're in the wrong spot for hope. This place is all about the masochism.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1866 » by the_process » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:24 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
FireMorey wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:
There's also the possibility of some star getting disgruntled between now and the upcoming off-season and forcing his way out. We have Embiid & Maxey and cap space to absorb contracts as our selling points.

Brandon Ingram has felt like a future Sixer for some years now for me. There have been rumblings for years that the Pelicans are destined to eventually have to choose between Ingram or Zion and trade one of them. It seems likely they would trade Ingram over Zion.

If the Sixers make a trade... getting a true superstar would be too good to be true. That doesn't happen to Sixers fans. It'll assuredly be someone who is good, but also not quite great enough to where some fans have some reservations about the move. The Sixers emptying their war chest for Ingram feels like a very Sixersy move.

I would love Ingram here. We'd have to give up three 1sts (+/-) and take on his salary. What would you prefer?

If it was Melton S&T 3-60 plus Reed and picks for Ingram, they could operate over the cap and keep Hield and Oubre. Then look to also S&T Tobias. That is probably preferable.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,198

Post#1867 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:21 pm

the_process wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
FireMorey wrote:

If it was Melton S&T 3-60 plus Reed and picks for Ingram, they could operate over the cap and keep Hield and Oubre. Then look to also S&T Tobias. That is probably preferable.

Hmm that's tough. I don't know that our odds of winning a championship with Ingram over PG13 are greater in the next 3 years (or even after that). If they were significantly higher, then I'd go the route you're suggesting (assuming both were on the table). I don't think that's the case though.

Imagine signing Paul George and still having five+ 1sts to trade down the line. Even if I knew there was a high chance PG13 wouldn't be useful after 2 years, I'd still feel comfortable knowing we have all our picks in the chamber still.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
the_process
RealGM

Post#1868 » by the_process » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:16 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
the_process wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

Hmm that's tough. I don't know that our odds of winning a championship with Ingram over PG13 are greater in the next 3 years (or even after that). If they were significantly higher, then I'd go the route you're suggesting (assuming both were on the table). I don't think that's the case though.

Imagine signing Paul George and still having five+ 1sts to trade down the line. Even if I knew there was a high chance PG13 wouldn't be useful after 2 years, I'd still feel comfortable knowing we have all our picks in the chamber still.

Morey likely takes your path, but it's not gonna leave them room to absorb another big salary this summer because they will have to renounce everyone not named Embiid or Maxey or Reed to clear the room for PG. And they will only have the room exception, not the full MLE.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,839

Post#1869 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:32 pm

We need someone who can actually create baskets for others for situations like this where we don't have Embiid.

PG13 doesn't really fulfill that. I don't know if Ingram's distribution numbers is more out of necessity due to not having a real PG on the Pelicans.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,425

Post#1870 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:48 pm

Negrodamus wrote:We need someone who can actually create baskets for others for situations like this where we don't have Embiid.

PG13 doesn't really fulfill that. I don't know if Ingram's distribution numbers is more out of necessity due to not having a real PG on the Pelicans.

He has pretty solid playmaking numbers from the pre-Harden Clippers run with a lot of that carrying the team without Kawhi. I’d feel pretty solid about our ability to run a decent offense between him & Maxey.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#1871 » by Eyeamok » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:57 pm

the_process wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
the_process wrote:

You're in the wrong spot for hope. This place is all about the masochism.

This morning I made a post about Paul George and how if you see a report on the front page of Realgm with the 76ers interested in signing him it's not going to happen. Any pictures of news related with a pic on Realgm means it's just pure speculation. Now what do I see a report with a picture of Embiid saying he is in the "ramping" up phase.....my hope has all but gone.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#1872 » by Eyeamok » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:13 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:We need someone who can actually create baskets for others for situations like this where we don't have Embiid.

He has pretty solid playmaking numbers from the pre-Harden Clippers run with a lot of that carrying the team without Kawhi. I’d feel pretty solid about our ability to run a decent offense between him & Maxey.

Looking forward to the distinct possibility of the Clippers vs the Pelicans in the first round. If I had my choice I'd take Ingram each and every time. He's younger, he will have a more defined role here and I believe Nurse will get the best out of him. Paul George wants to be in LA, he is set in his ways and will be on a steady decline soon enough. A 4 year max that's a lot to take on especially for a veteran that is not known for his great playoff performances or leadership.

Marlo
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,425

Post#1873 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:52 pm

I’d rather have BI too but that would be a surprising development, especially with NO starting to play their best ball at the end of this season. Can’t imagine they blow it up now unless something dramatic happens on the playoffs.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,565

Post#1874 » by 76ciology » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:00 am

No need for BI; he's too expensive (Pels does not value our picks for they have a surplus of picks) compared to George, who is significantly better than Ingram until 2027 (until Biid's contract expires).

Consider Tobias Harris: 3.6 3PTA/G, shooting .336 3PT% with a 57TS%.
Compare this to Brandon Ingram: 3.8 3PTA/G, shooting .357 3PT% with a 57TS%.

This suddenly is acceptable?

Ingram’s numbers still don’t account for the supernatural deflation that occurs once players wear a Sixers jersey.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,565

Post#1875 » by 76ciology » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:10 am

Our advantage compared to other contenders is that we can pursue stars who have three years left in their tank. That's why Morey pursued Harden, LeBron during the deadline and now George.

By 2027, we're likely (not for certain but very high %) moving on from Embiid (he’s gonna be really hard to build a team around by then at 33yo, unless he’s a cherry on top for a contender like the Thunder). We just need to build a very strong team with the cards dealt to us until then. Afterward, we must save our draft picks and possibly acquire more starting in 2027 to expedite our rebuilding process, turn it around quickly, and compete again.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,183

Post#1876 » by M2J » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:03 am

They should fire Daryl for even considering renouncing the whole team to pick up George.

They should resign these guys to great deals and run it back healthy with a deep roster a young new draftee and 4 picks
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#1877 » by Kobblehead » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:23 pm

Going all-in on Pascal Siakam or Paul George is certainly an option.

I still maintain that Embiid/Maxey are going to determine if we win a championship in this window. Not a 3rd mercenary star at the end of his career that you bring in.

I would just look to sign/trade depth around Embiid/Maxey and draft well.

- Sign Grayson Allen to a decent multiyear contract in the $20m per year range.
- Bring in some budget vets that have had impact on winning in the past like Kyle Anderson, Tyus Jones, Monte Morris.
- Check in with Brooklyn to see if they've had a reality check on Bridges' trade value.
- Check in with Portland to see if they'd be reasonable in a Brogdon trade.
- Can we snatch an overlooked gem off a team with a logjam (Tari Eason in Houston)?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,919

Post#1878 » by mjkvol » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:57 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Going all-in on Pascal Siakam or Paul George is certainly an option.

I still maintain that Embiid/Maxey are going to determine if we win a championship in this window. Not a 3rd mercenary star at the end of his career that you bring in.

- Bring in some budget vets that have had impact on winning in the past like Kyle Anderson, Tyus Jones, Monte Morris.
- Check in with Brooklyn to see if they've had a reality check on Bridges' trade value.
- Can we snatch an overlooked gem off a team with a logjam (Tari Eason in Houston)?

This is the approach I've been advocating since these discussions started here. Build around Embiid and Maxey with a Nuggets-like strategy of solid role players and youth through the draft, as any chances for success here will still fall on Embiid and Maxey.

Given the awful choice of trading the farm for Ingram or signing George, I'd have to go with George for the simple reason that we aren't winning a title either way, but at least you hold on to your picks that way.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
fkd215
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#1879 » by fkd215 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:37 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Going all-in on Pascal Siakam or Paul George is certainly an option.

This is the approach I've been advocating since these discussions started here. Build around Embiid and Maxey with a Nuggets-like strategy of solid role players and youth through the draft, as any chances for success here will still fall on Embiid and Maxey.

Given the awful choice of trading the farm for Ingram or signing George, I'd have to go with George for the simple reason that we aren't winning a title either way, but at least you hold on to your picks that way.

Yes to both the above quotes. Because again, the challenge before Morey this offseason isn't just to fill a few holes. He has to obtain or re-sign ~12 guys. With around $65M to allocate. I just don't see how you can allocate ~$50M of that ~$65M on one guy (a third star no less) and expect to field a credible roster. Especially if 2 of the three stars have patterns of significant injury.
fkd215
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#1880 » by fkd215 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:50 pm

People are focusing on what big names Morey will bring in, but what I think will actually be decisive is how he does on the less splashy signings. He's going to have to pull not just 1 or 2 rabbits out of a hat, but 9 or 10. He'll have to:
-- get several quality contributors for the vet minimum,
-- draft guys who can contribute on day one with 1 FRP and a couple 2nds (he'll probably have to look in the draft at high floor, low ceiling guys who spent 3-4 years in college, with Jaime Jaquez as the prototype),
-- and still hit on his major signings.

It's a serious task he has ahead of him.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers