ImageImageImage

Game 42: Spurs @ Sixers 1/22 @ 7 pm ET Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,528

Re: Game 42: Spurs @ Sixers 1/22 @ 7 pm ET Thread 

Post#121 » by elchengue20 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:34 am

Morey inherited a true mess here and has turned things around.

We are once again a contender and we have assets and cap room to improve. Give him 1 or 2 seasons more and we are going to probably be in even better shape.

Trading the corpse of a Non NBA player like Simmons for an All Star like Harden, drafting Maxey late in the 1st and not trading him in a stupid deal for a Kyle Lowry or something, bringing good value guys on vet mins like Drummond, Oubre or Beverly, drafting and developing BBall Paul, bringin Nurse, those are all big wins in my book.

Sure on hindsight you can cherry pick things like not trading for Hali instead of Harden, but overall his work has been good.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,825

Post#122 » by phillynative » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:45 am

phillynative wrote:I want to see this match up but I don't feel like watching this game.

I guess I should of watched :-? 70 damn
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 348

Post#123 » by Jhawk03 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:37 am

If you respond to this post then you believe Simmons could have been traded for Hali.

I'm curious to know who actually believes this and can provide any truth/evidence and not just rumors.

I wanna hate Morey too, but not like this.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 587

Post#124 » by phifans » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:01 am

Let's just ignore how much improvement Joel has been made since Morey comes here and how bad we still are without Joel. Just pretend Morey has been build a great team around Joel and Embiid is not the only reason why we are still a contender. :crazy:
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,788

Post#125 » by the_process » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:22 am

Jhawk03 wrote:If you respond to this post then you believe Simmons could have been traded for Hali.

I'm curious to know who actually believes this and can provide any truth/evidence and not just rumors.

I wanna hate Morey too, but not like this.

Embiid scored 70 and the Sixers beat the Sisters of the Poor Spurs (by 10).

Why would we focus on all the smoke that was around Simmons for Haliburton (plus!) and that Hali's agent told him get ready to go to Philly? Morey floated out that deal was never available after his boy Harden lobbed bombs all over the complex and forced his way to LA. And we can never prove otherwise.

Be happy for Embiid now and let's see what happens in April and May.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,058

Post#126 » by mjkvol » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:19 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Tonight was a "where were you" moment. Wemby will never forget it, you can count on that. 10 years from now when he's dominating the league he'll remember his first H2H with Embiid. Tonight was a tattoo, a stoppage in time. If you got to witness it, then that's awesome. I can still remember the night Iverson dropped 60. I couldn't watch the game, but updates kept coming across the TV of the college game I was watching that night.

I skip many (most?) regular season games, and just turned this one on to see Wemby, then stayed to see history.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#127 » by mjkvol » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:33 am

NYSixersFan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:Incredible by Embiid. That's why it will be even more infuriating if all the fraud GM does is trade a few 2nd round picks for Delon Wright.

Tell us, what should the "fraud" GM do? What is this magic trade that will be our ticket to the finals?

The first thing he needs to do is stop being a fraud. I have no faith in this guy whatsoever. He's done nothing in 3.5 years except get us into and out of the James Harden experience.

Bottom line...there will be trades to be made that can significantly increase our chances of winning, but it will be at the cost of cap space this summer.

I hope I'm wrong...If he quits being a fraud and gets the job done, I will praise him. I'll believe it when I see it.

Others have given the laundry list of things Morey has done since taking over a mess and a near sinking ship, so I'm not going to reiterate. Suffice to say that he has created one team that had a legit chance and fell short, and now has us in a good situation with a real coach and room to improve further.

There's no hard evidence that the Haliburton trade was ever close to a reality other than some hack "insider" talk. He turned a toxic non-asset into a legit shot to win a title. It didn't happen, and he turned that into pieces and some cap space. He hasn't been perfect, but you offer nothing besides ridiculous name calling and empty claims that "trades can be made". What are these 'significant' trades that are just waiting to happen? Don't tell me - Zach Lavine?
phifans
Veteran
And1: 587

Post#128 » by phifans » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:19 pm

mjkvol wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Tell us, what should the "fraud" GM do? What is this magic trade that will be our ticket to the finals?

The first thing he needs to do is stop being a fraud. I have no faith in this guy whatsoever. He's done nothing in 3.5 years except get us into and out of the James Harden experience.

Bottom line...there will be trades to be made that can significantly increase our chances of winning, but it will be at the cost of cap space this summer.

I hope I'm wrong...If he quits being a fraud and gets the job done, I will praise him. I'll believe it when I see it.

Others have given the laundry list of things Morey has done since taking over a mess and a near sinking ship, so I'm not going to reiterate. Suffice to say that he has created one team that had a legit chance and fell short, and now has us in a good situation with a real coach and room to improve further.

There's no hard evidence that the Haliburton trade was ever close to a reality other than some hack "insider" talk. He turned a toxic non-asset into a legit shot to win a title. It didn't happen, and he turned that into pieces and some cap space. He hasn't been perfect, but you offer nothing besides ridiculous name calling and empty claims that "trades can be made". What are these 'significant' trades that are just waiting to happen? Don't tell me - Zach Lavine?

Again if we have a shot to win a title it's because Joel Embiid has improved to be a MVP calibre not because anything Morey has been done here.

But let's give all the credit to Mr.Morey who just build a team who are 3-7 without Joel Embiid.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#129 » by zaz102 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:45 pm

phifans wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:

Again if we have a shot to win a title it's because Joel Embiid has improved to be a MVP calibre not because anything Morey has been done here.

But let's give all the credit to Mr.Morey who just build a team who are 3-7 without Joel Embiid.
You're right that Embiid would deserve the bulk of the credit.

I give Morey credit for not screwing it up. He inherited a mess with Ben Simmons as Embiid's main partner, a Horford and Tobias albatross, and Doc Rivers as a coach. Simmons has been replaced with a good partner in Maxey. Doc has been replaced with a good coach in Nurse. And now they have 3 firsts and Tobi's contract coming off the books. Primed to get another helpful player.

His mistakes were handling Simmons and Harden requesting out and possibly not trading for Haliburton. IMO, Simmons was rectified by getting a player in Harden and Harden was rectified by acquiring Batum and 3 1sts.

Not getting Haliburton hurts a lot (assuming it was on the table), but they still got two years of a top 30 player in Harden and have a bunch of 1sts to get another player.

Compare how he rebounded from his mistakes to the Colangelo/Brown/Elton crippled the franchise with some of their mistakes and its night and day.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#130 » by mjkvol » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:48 pm

zaz102 wrote:
phifans wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

You're right that Embiid would deserve the bulk of the credit.

I give Morey credit for not screwing it up. He inherited a mess with Ben Simmons as Embiid's main partner, a Horford and Tobias albatross, and Doc Rivers as a coach. Simmons has been replaced with a good partner in Maxey. Doc has been replaced with a good coach in Nurse. And now they have 3 firsts and Tobi's contract coming off the books. Primed to get another helpful player.

His mistakes were handling Simmons and Harden requesting out and possibly not trading for Haliburton. IMO, Simmons was rectified by getting a player in Harden and Harden was rectified by acquiring Batum and 3 1sts.

Not getting Haliburton hurts a lot (assuming it was on the table), but they still got two years of a top 30 player in Harden and have a bunch of 1sts to get another player.

Compare how he rebounded from his mistakes to the Colangelo/Brown/Elton crippled the franchise with some of their mistakes and its night and day.

To me, his biggest mistake was not running Glenn out of here a year earlier. I would love to have seen a legit coach with Embiid-Harden-Maxey.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#131 » by hookshot199 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:55 pm

phifans wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:

A bit harsh. You've ignored his getting rid ofHorford, Simmons and Rivers, getting a minor draft haul for Harden, drafting Maxey and picking up Oubre and the three expiring Clippers from the scrap heap. It's always been the case that we're only as good as Embiid. I have my doubts about whether we can beat the Celtics even with Embiid playing at his current level. We'll see.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,073

Post#132 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:02 pm

They had an excellent record without Embiid last year, then Harden demanded a trade and Morey had to take the best offer he could get, which was role players and future picks, obviously the record isn’t going to be as good at least until they use the picks.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,931

Post#133 » by Stanford » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:11 pm

The team was unwatchable the past two years. This year they are watchable. Don't care about record. This year's team is better for that reason alone.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#134 » by Skates » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:30 pm

Sixerscan wrote:They had an excellent record without Embiid last year, then Harden demanded a trade and Morey had to take the best offer he could get, which was role players and future picks, obviously the record isn’t going to be as good at least until they use the picks.

Getting Harden out for assets was a necessary deal and decent return given the limited market.

Putting PJ Tucker in that outgoing basket and his salary next year to replace him with Batum has been, so far, the best move of the year.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,790

Post#135 » by Sixersftw » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:36 pm

Stanford wrote:The team was unwatchable the past two years. This year they are watchable. Don't care about record. This year's team is better for that reason alone.

I will not rest until Rivers is tried at The Hague for crimes against humanity.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,788

Post#136 » by the_process » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:52 pm

Skates wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:They had an excellent record without Embiid last year, then Harden demanded a trade and Morey had to take the best offer he could get, which was role players and future picks, obviously the record isn’t going to be as good at least until they use the picks.

Getting Harden out for assets was a necessary deal and decent return given the limited market.

Putting PJ Tucker in that outgoing basket and his salary next year to replace him with Batum has been, so far, the best move of the year.

Couldn't agree more.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,606

Post#137 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:32 pm

Wow, that GB is awful! You state the simplest, most friendly opinion possible and people attack you. Something as simple as "Embiid had a great game" will get you flamed on there by some jerkoff that just wants to be a bully on the internet. My god that place sucks over there!
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#138 » by Stanford » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:37 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Wow, that GB is awful! You state the simplest, most friendly opinion possible and people attack you. Something as simple as "Embiid had a great game" will get you flamed on there by some jerkoff that just wants to be a bully on the internet. My god that place sucks over there!

A lesson for everyone. Stay away from that place.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,202

Post#139 » by M2J » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:08 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
phifans wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

A bit harsh. You've ignored his getting rid ofHorford, Simmons and Rivers, getting a minor draft haul for Harden, drafting Maxey and picking up Oubre and the three expiring Clippers from the scrap heap. It's always been the case that we're only as good as Embiid. I have my doubts about whether we can beat the Celtics even with Embiid playing at his current level. We'll see.

I think Morey did a great job this past off season and doing something with Harden. Getting Oubre.... who was going to Miami had Lillard gotten traded there, but they waited too late to complete their roster as that scenario entered training camp time. But, he got him and that has been huge.

I think trading for Melton is a feather in his cap. I think drafting Maxey was under consideration prior to him getting hired, but hey... He did it. I'm not going to give him credit and take away credit from the coach that literally developed him from a guy that was unwilling to take 3s, couldn't read a defense or play a lick of point guard or defense, and along with Maxey's work ethic turned him into a star by year 2.

I think the Horford trade gets over blown... That cost a pick and we never really got to see how Horford could've worked here with a better coach in Rivers, and I'm the playoffs as Ben got hurt.
The Richardson trade was better.

The 2 moves he's got to be judged on is drafting Maxey... Sure. But what he does with the Ben Simmons/Harden assets. Everybody knows he could have gotten something else for Ben. The proof of the Hali opportunity is that all reports were for Ben and he ultimately is traded for Sabonis... Who Indy also wanted to trade for Ben. Ben was the prize, Morey either knew it should've known Ben was injured and over played his hand. He could've sent assets to get Hali or other players for Ben. I think he could have gotten Fox which may have been even better Every report stated that Morey wanted the Moon for Ben. AKA he wanted his bestie. His bestie cost Philly 3 years of Joel's MVP years. Not good.

Didn't pick up Drummond a second time after he left the Nets. That was bad considering how bad it is without Joel at center. He got Trez ? Still feeling that effect.

Overall, it's been fine. But, I can almost guarantee you Philly fans.... If they don't get aggressive at this trade deadline.... Not the summer. Philly will never win a title with Joel in his prime. Even if they got a whale in PG13/LeBron doesn't matter... It will take a year likely 2 to add the depth that fits so well on this roster right now. Joel will be older, and like when they got Harden that free agent/trade will be too old by the time they get shooters and 3&D guys again. Batum damn near too old now
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#140 » by Stanford » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:05 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Stanford wrote:The team was unwatchable the past two years. This year they are watchable. Don't care about record. This year's team is better for that reason alone.

I will not rest until Rivers is tried at The Hague for crimes against humanity.

Looks like he's headed for Milwaukee instead

Return to Philadelphia 76ers