ImageImageImage

Welcome Home Kyle Lowry!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,075

Welcome Home Kyle Lowry! 

Post#1 » by Embiid P » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:17 am

Would have preferred Dinwiddle but I guess he had his heart set on LA. Welcome home, Kyle. Hopefully you still have some gas left in the tank.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,571

Re: Welcome Home Kyle Lowry! 

Post#2 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:48 am

Lowry has another gear that he can shift into when he wants to. He has performed well while playing heavy minutes and has scored most of his double digits against these teams teams:
- Celtics: 13 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists
- Bucks: 14 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists (in 2 games)
- NY: 10 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists
- 76ers: 12pts 1 rebound and 4 assists 70+ FG%
- Cleveland: 22 points per game (in 2 games)

Spoiler:
Playoffs: his best game against in the playoffs against Celts, played heavy minutes the entire series

Reg Season
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#3 » by zaz102 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:33 pm

I'm hoping he's at least as effective as Bev. If so, between the addition of him and Hield, Maxey's number of minutes should go down finally. Especially if Melton returns at some point.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#4 » by PhillyNj » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:04 pm

If he can surpass Beverly as backup.(which I think he will) we might have a chance to hold on to a playoff spot.
When(or if) Embiid does come back this team has a chance to be very good.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,108

Post#5 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:37 pm

Look, I'm glad that this means a lot to Lowry to come play here. He's had a tremendous career in the NBA and it's cool that he gets to close it out with his hometown team.

However, I'm a little concerned about taking on a guy deemed as a castoff by Pat Riley and Erik Spoelstra. They usually have a good sense on when to move off of guys.

That said, even in cooked form, Lowry has been shooting the ball really well. If he can sustain his shooting, he'll be a more valuable player for us than Beverley was.

Also, I'm not willing to write off Cam Payne, yet. He's got more bounce in his step than Lowry and is shooting just as well. I hope Nurse gives Payne a fair chance to compete with Lowry.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,426

Post#6 » by Jailblazers7 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:46 pm

I think we can absorb Lowry as essentially an assistant coach if he’s truly washed with the addition of Payne & Hield. Our backcourt is much deeper than it was a week ago.

It’ll be fun to see Lowry finally back in Philly & wearing a Sixers uniform.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,840

Post#7 » by Negrodamus » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:58 pm

Hopefully we got the key to Philadelphia back from Morris.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#8 » by youngcrev » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:05 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Look, I'm glad that this means a lot to Lowry to come play here. He's had a tremendous career in the NBA and it's cool that he gets to close it out with his hometown team.

However, I'm a little concerned about taking on a guy deemed as a castoff by Pat Riley and Erik Spoelstra. They usually have a good sense on when to move off of guys.

That said, even in cooked form, Lowry has been shooting the ball really well. If he can sustain his shooting, he'll be a more valuable player for us than Beverley was.

Also, I'm not willing to write off Cam Payne, yet. He's got more bounce in his step than Lowry and is shooting just as well. I hope Nurse gives Payne a fair chance to compete with Lowry.

Yeah, but it's a completely different circumstance. In Miami he was a high salary player being overextended in a starting role. They moved him for a guy with a ton more juice left in Rozier.

Here, he's (slightly above) minimum salary player playing a backup role, taking over a role that has pretty much gone unfilled the entire year.

I imagine if Spo/Riley could have him back in under the same circumstance as here, they'd happily do so.

Agreed on everything else. He's cooked, but still useful. Not writing off Cam either as potentially still useful. Particularly while dealing with injuries and as a fallback if Kyle too cooked.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#9 » by zaz102 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:05 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Look, I'm glad that this means a lot to Lowry to come play here. He's had a tremendous career in the NBA and it's cool that he gets to close it out with his hometown team.

He could be completely cooked, but i don't think that's a foregone conclusion because the Heat moved off him.

On the Heat, he was a starter and I think they're only ball handler. One of the most important players on the team.

In Philly, his baseline role should be about 12 minutes a game as Maxey's backup assuming Melton returns. You can increase that or lower that based on the productivity of Hield and Melton.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#10 » by Stanford » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:11 pm

Pretty irresponsible to give the key to the entire city to one basketball player anyway
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,148

Post#11 » by Arsenal » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:26 pm

Lowry will be available for revenge game against cHeat on Wed. Perfect timing!
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,701

Post#12 » by stormi » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:29 pm

I remember heading into the summer of 2017 when he was lining up to hit UFA and I was so against the move. I was too blinded by the youth movement and handing Fultz the keys. The horrors I've seen since then, if I could turn back the clock and do it all over again I would have ran to him.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Post#13 » by phillynative » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:36 pm

How does the guard rotation look now with him and when Melton returns?

It would be nice to add some size at some point.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,846

Post#14 » by Ben » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:42 pm

stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,701

Post#15 » by stormi » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:42 pm

phillynative wrote:How does the guard rotation look now with him and when Melton returns?

I wonder if the natural synergy and size between Batum and Embiid would force him to start when it matters. I guess that would shift Melton to the bench.

Maxey/Lowry/Payne
Hield/Melton
Harris/Oubre
Batum
Embiid/Reed

More or less the 10 man (playoff) rotation as it stands. Both Lowry and Payne will play a factor as they're the two best conductors of the offense on this roster and they bring much needed shooting.

There's one good defender in that starting lineup though. With this bunch, a second round exit would be a good year.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#16 » by youngcrev » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:57 pm

stormi wrote:
phillynative wrote:How does the guard rotation look now with him and when Melton returns?

I wonder if the natural synergy and size between Batum and Embiid would force him to start when it matters. I guess that would shift Melton to the bench.

Maxey/Lowry/Payne
Hield/Melton
Harris/Oubre
Batum
Embiid/Reed

More or less the 10 man (playoff) rotation as it stands. Both Lowry and Payne will play a factor as they're the two best conductors of the offense on this roster and they bring much needed shooting.

There's one good defender in that starting lineup though. With this bunch, a second round exit would be a good year.

I think Melton likely still starts for defensive purposes with Buddy in a 6th man role, seeing minutes at both the 2 and the 3.

First subs you bring out Maxey/Melton/Harris for Lowry/Hield/Oubre.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,518

Post#17 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:12 pm

Can Lowry still defend? I imagine that is why we signed him. Teams are running a layup line of threes on us, guys aren't rotating, Lowry can help with some of our defensive issues I think. Other than that, it's a nice depth signing that allows us to lower the minutes Maxey has been playing.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,734

Post#18 » by the_process » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:29 pm

Having three real ball handlers for the first time in forever should help. Joseph and Lowry should allow Maxey to slide off the ball some, too.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,846

Post#19 » by Ben » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:17 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Can Lowry still defend? I imagine that is why we signed him. Teams are running a layup line of threes on us, guys aren't rotating, Lowry can help with some of our defensive issues I think. Other than that, it's a nice depth signing that allows us to lower the minutes Maxey has been playing.

I can't answer based on personal observation, as I haven't watched the Heat outside of Sixer games and I missed the Xmas day game when he got extended minutes. But if one looks at his Basketball Reference page and scrolls down to the "Advanced" section one sees a Defensive +/- rating (+1.1) this season that's similarly strong, if not stronger, to the ones he's registered in other seasons. He's just much worse on Offensive +/- this season. And as he's shooting a higher 3P% than his career average, I have some hope that he could contribute here at the margins.

I've always loved him as a player and Philly native, so I may be a bit biased. I don't anticipate him positively moving the needle a lot, but I'd be delighted if he did.
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 953

Post#20 » by Tony Franciosa » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:34 pm

I'm alright with this. didn't give up much of anything. can move on quickly if he's totally cooked. low-risk, high-reward.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers