Re: Game 62: Memphis vs 76ers 

Post#41 » by Kova » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:14 am

I guess we're tanking now..
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 342

Post#42 » by Jhawk03 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:24 am

Without Embiid and Maxey, this team has no identity and no chance of winning any game. It's still remarkable to me that Embiid and Maxey are the only two players under contract after this season. Can anyone find the last time a franchise entered an offseason with less than 2 players under contract?
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 342

Post#43 » by Jhawk03 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:57 am

Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:Tobias will bounce back
Maxey will play
Eventually all the injured guys will play

We’ve seen it before

See you next game

All true and yet this is why you pay Tobias the money he is making to be the focal point and show up big time in games like this. Not to be average / below average. It's a contract year you have center stage and you still can't get it done it's just crazy. And I like the guy but basketball wise he just does not get it done night in and night out. Which is what this team need right now.

At the end of the day, everyone on the roster now is playing for a contract, whether it be for a contract here or another team... now whether they're living up to their current contract or exceeding it will naturally be discussed considering how many roster spots will be open here before the upcoming draft and free agency. It's okay to keep having this argument because in less than 12 weeks the argument is dead.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,755

Post#44 » by phillynative » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:11 am

Eyeamok wrote:
Maxey will play

We’ve seen it before

See you next game

All true and yet this is why you pay Tobias the money he is making to be the focal point and show up big time in games like this. Not to be average / below average. It's a contract year you have center stage and you still can't get it done it's just crazy. And I like the guy but basketball wise he just does not get it done night in and night out. Which is what this team need right now.

We have all of these role guys that are going to be looking for a bigger contact this offseason and the only one that has earned one is Oubre. Everyone else has been oft-injured or disappointing.

Tobi is either still banged up or has lost a step right before our eyes. He has always been overrated athletically but he is just not moving well on the court at all. He can't get past anyone, laterally he's getting beat and he's slow to rebounds and loose balls. To make make matters worse he refuses to throw that big frame around. I think if we do bring him back next season which I'm praying we don't, he has to have a completely different role, like a 6th man. He has had his chance, time to move on.

Also Hield is not a 3rd option either. Sorry. I'm not sure how much money he is going to command but after those really good first 3 games he's been bad to mid.

I know the sixers a trying to wing games in hopes that Embiid can come back in slavage the season. Looking at this roster hes still going to be overworked defensively, and we will be a play-in team. I just don't see him coming back. The org is playing fans as usual. They should be playing the young guys and seeing what they have in them at this point its looking like a wrap.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,426

Post#45 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:48 am

Tobias should get the vet minimum after a game like that.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,014

Post#46 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:58 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:Tobias should get the vet minimum after a game like that.

Many fans think it's justified for Oubre to be a vet minimum player, but then they blabber about how, while Harris is not a max player, it's ok if he gets 15-20M per year.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,518

Post#47 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:13 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:

Many fans think it's justified for Oubre to be a vet minimum player, but then they blabber about how, while Harris is not a max player, it's ok if he gets 15-20M per year.

Yeah, Oubre is a max level player for sure. Definitely build around this guy. We win whenever he plays well.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#48 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:49 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

Yeah, Oubre is a max level player for sure. Definitely build around this guy. We win whenever he plays well.

Never said that, all I've been saying is that he is WAY better than a vet minimum player, but even our knowledgable posters don't agree to this uncontroversial take.
Nobody has said Oubre is a max player or anything near that, whereas some of our posters were ok giving Harris the max in 2019. I know which player I would rather have of course.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 411

Post#49 » by Zumramania » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:33 pm

It's funny how Tobias always ends up being the third or fourth best player, no matter who he plays with. I don't think I have ever seen such a soft player.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,451

Post#50 » by Eyeamok » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:39 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

Never said that, all I've been saying is that he is WAY better than a vet minimum player, but even our knowledgable posters don't agree to this uncontroversial take.
Nobody has said Oubre is a max player or anything near that, whereas some of our posters were ok giving Harris the max in 2019. I know which player I would rather have of course.

Oubre is a great bargain at his price. And I would love for the 76ers to bring him back next year on a good contract. The guy can flat out play in spurts and just needs to stay in his lane and not be prone to the brain laps that he can routinely have. But other than that sign him up.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#51 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:42 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

I agree that he's better than a vet minimum player...However, what exactly is the point that you're trying to make? There was a reason why Oubre went unsigned and those reasons have risen to show themselves at times during his tenure as a Sixer. I like Oubre, I think he's a solid rotation player, I don't think he should be counted on for anything more than that. That's just my opinion. I don't understand how you can throw shade and pile on Maxey, and Embiid and yet somehow talk of Oubre as if he's been the best player on this team the whole time. Why push the agenda? Sure...Oubre is a solid player. He's also easily replaceable in my opinion and he's never once been a winning player on any team that he's played on. That includes this team. Our record has been top five lotto level since the Embiid injury.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#52 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:44 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

Oubre is a great bargain at his price. And I would love for the 76ers to bring him back next year on a good contract. The guy can flat out play in spurts and just needs to stay in his lane and not be prone to the brain laps that he can routinely have. But other than that sign him up.

Yeah! I agree. I think this is as well put and explained as anyone can make it. Solid rotation player, not a guy you lean on to close out a game. Bring him back on a reasonable contract? Sure, I guess. I've personally never been a fan of his game, I do feel he's replaceable, but for the right price I'd learn to like it.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,451

Post#53 » by Eyeamok » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:55 pm

76ciology wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
Maxey will play

We’ve seen it before

See you next game

I'm refraining from delving into a lengthy response that delves into the history behind why we should re-sign him, explores alternative options considering team fit at the time and his fit when everyone’s healthy, and evaluates the availability and capability of other top players from competing teams, as well as the capability of other third to fourth options.

However, I recognize that I'm unlikely to sway the argument due to recency bias, and honestly, it feels like beating a dead horse at this point, especially since I've repeatedly expressed my willingness to replace him with more talented players.

I've even crafted numerous trade proposals, one of which involves Pascal Siakam, who I was told wasn't a good shooter, but I invite everyone to examine his current statistics. Upon reflection, he could be the ideal candidate for games like this, where he's accustomed to being the focal point and is not averaging just three rebounds per game like Bojan Bogdanovic.

In conclusion, we all have plenty on our plates, and it's wiser to conserve our energy for more productive pursuits than to continually rehash the same arguments.

Once upon a time, this season, I could have easily been swayed in regards to resigning Tobias. But this version that I have been watching since Embiid has been out is just awful simply awful. Perhaps it will come out he has been fighting some injury for the last few weeks but his game has taken a big step back. Just as the team needs him most.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,843

Post#54 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:12 pm

Rough shooting night for Oubre. Nice he got to the line 9 times, but have no chance of winning when he shoots 33% on 21 shots.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#55 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:16 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Rough shooting night for Oubre. Nice he got to the line 9 times, but have no chance of winning when he shoots 33% on 21 shots.

Only him though, Harris shooting 3/12 and 25% shooting going to the line 1 time is much better!
25 points on 21 shots, minimum contract
8 points on 12 shots, maximum contract
Difficult choice I guess...
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 725

Post#56 » by Lou_23 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:57 pm

What a terrible season since Embiid is out.

The BEST for everybody is dont let him play this year, the season is over with not competitive players.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,843

Post#57 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:05 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Rough shooting night for Oubre. Nice he got to the line 9 times, but have no chance of winning when he shoots 33% on 21 shots.

Only him though, Harris shooting 3/12 and 25% shooting going to the line 1 time is much better!
25 points on 21 shots, minimum contract
8 points on 12 shots, maximum contract
Difficult choice I guess...

We are just warming up to another bust because the fanbase needs to have hope in something, but objectively he sucks and there is no hope at all.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,609

Post#58 » by FireMorey » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:44 pm

Stand by my take from some weeks ago. The best thing for the Sixers is to miss the playoffs, get a lottery pick. They need all the ammo for summer 2024 that they can get. Whether people have confidence the Sixers can pull off something big or not, this is their last hurrah offseason. That's the reality. Going into it with a lottery pick isn't nothing. Even if they can't trade it, would be nice to be a 50 win team that will come away with a top 15 player in the draft. This season is over, it ended when Embiid went down, and tbh, this season never was about a title anyway. I don't think the early season success was ever sustainable for an entire season for a multitude of reasons.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#59 » by Skates » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:02 pm

FireMorey wrote:Stand by my take from some weeks ago. The best thing for the Sixers is to miss the playoffs, get a lottery pick. They need all the ammo for summer 2024 that they can get. Whether people have confidence the Sixers can pull off something big or not, this is their last hurrah offseason. That's the reality. Going into it with a lottery pick isn't nothing. Even if they can't trade it, would be nice to be a 50 win team that will come away with a top 15 player in the draft. This season is over, it ended when Embiid went down, and tbh, this season never was about a title anyway. I don't think the early season success was ever sustainable for an entire season for a multitude of reasons.

This year's pick is very tradeable once the pick is made on draft night. Personally I would love to get some quality cheap youth in here, but either way it is an asset. Once the pick has been made the Stepien rule has been satisfied. That, plus another future FRP becoming available to trade after that draft opens up another year of picks into the future is why a lot of folks expect that is when the Sixers big move/moves will take place and why they didn't spend any extra ammunition other than second round picks at the deadline.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,868

Post#60 » by Stanford » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:03 pm

FireMorey wrote:The best thing for the Sixers is to miss the playoffs, get a lottery pick. They need all the ammo for summer 2024 that they can get.

Unfortunately, I think the trade deadline proved that a pick in this year's draft doesn't have much value, even if it is #14. And that pick gets even less valuable after you make it, so unless the big summer deal is on draft day, it's unlikely to make a huge difference. Teams are going to want unprotected picks in the future.

That said, the season is clearly over. They're not beating the Celtics in the first round.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers