ImageImageImage

G77: Sixers @ cHeat 4/4 7:30pm ET

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,823

Re: G77: Sixers @ cHeat 4/4 7:30pm ET 

Post#161 » by HotelVitale » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:26 am

So the Pacers are going to lose their next two to very motivated teams in OKC and MIA. Now the only question is: which game will we blow to lose the 6th seed? Hard fought close one to an ORL team fighting for positioning, or Maxey going 3/21 as Joel tweaks his knee against the Spurs?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,938

Post#162 » by mjkvol » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:34 am

That was a great win. Damn, it's so much more fun to watch this team when Tobias is out. This is a different Sixers team going into the playoffs, with a legit coach and a couple of guys in Maxey and Oubre with no fear of the big moment. That was a game we lose 10 out of 10 times if Glenn was still the coach.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,427

Post#163 » by Jailblazers7 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:00 pm

I wonder if Oubre gets a real contract offers this season. He’s proven himself as a valuable player on a good team but he’s still a knucklehead who shoots 31% from three. He’ll definitely get more than the minimum but how much more will be interesting.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,880

Post#164 » by Stanford » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:02 pm

Jailblazers7 wrote:I wonder if Oubre gets a real contract offers this season. He’s proven himself as a valuable player on a good team but he’s still a knucklehead who shoots 31% from three. He’ll definitely get more than the minimum but how much more will be interesting.

I think it depends on how he looks in the playoffs.
Iscull
Junior
And1: 106

Post#165 » by Iscull » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:46 pm

mjkvol wrote:That was a great win. Damn, it's so much more fun to watch this team when Tobias is out. This is a different Sixers team going into the playoffs, with a legit coach and a couple of guys in Maxey and Oubre with no fear of the big moment. That was a game we lose 10 out of 10 times if Glenn was still the coach.

100% agree. I think this team functions a lot better without Tobias. Candidly, he's a stat sheet stuffer who seems to only play well in games where we're winning by double digits. I can't recall a time when he was "clutch", regular season or playoffs. At this point, I'd much rather have Batum or Martin getting minutes. Martin's defense, rebounding, and hustle is a much better fit next to an out of shape Joel.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,427

Post#166 » by Jailblazers7 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:52 pm

To be fair, Tobi has had some good clutch regular season moments. His performance against Dallas earlier this year comes to mind.

But we all know his playoff record & anyone with eyes can see how he fits poorly on this team. I think he’s quickly headed for 20 mpg role player territory if he wants to play on a competitive team.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,861

Post#167 » by Phila Tough » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:10 pm

Tobias steps up his defense in the playoffs and is one of the few wings we have that has some size. We're going to need him. I think Tobias problem is he's constantly in his head and overthinks on the court. I'm holding out hope on this being his final year and him showing out in the playoffs for his next team.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,865

Post#168 » by Mik317 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:49 pm

Tobias has been solid to start most playoff runs; its just that when we lose he doesn't help as he also is probably having his worst games lol and its often overshadowed by one or all of our better players **** the bed even harder
#NeverGonnaBeGood
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,192

Post#169 » by M2J » Fri Apr 5, 2024 5:54 pm

Stanford wrote:
Jailblazers7 wrote:I wonder if Oubre gets a real contract offers this season. He’s proven himself as a valuable player on a good team but he’s still a knucklehead who shoots 31% from three. He’ll definitely get more than the minimum but how much more will be interesting.

I think he's clearly worth a full MLE deal.

At this point. I think the same for Hield and maybe Tobias too. Tobias could be with $20mil, but his age is starting to show a bit with injuries (same for Buddy in terms of consistency). DeAnthony around the same number too. I say all that to say that hopefully they can keep all of them for under $15 million and have depth and tradable contracts to go with the assets.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#170 » by mjkvol » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:53 pm

Iscull wrote:
mjkvol wrote:That was a great win. Damn, it's so much more fun to watch this team when Tobias is out. This is a different Sixers team going into the playoffs, with a legit coach and a couple of guys in Maxey and Oubre with no fear of the big moment. That was a game we lose 10 out of 10 times if Glenn was still the coach.

100% agree. I think this team functions a lot better without Tobias. Candidly, he's a stat sheet stuffer who seems to only play well in games where we're winning by double digits. I can't recall a time when he was "clutch", regular season or playoffs. At this point, I'd much rather have Batum or Martin getting minutes. Martin's defense, rebounding, and hustle is a much better fit next to an out of shape Joel.

You're preaching to the choir.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#171 » by mjkvol » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:01 pm

M2J wrote:
Stanford wrote:

At this point. I think the same for Hield and maybe Tobias too. Tobias could be with $20mil, but his age is starting to show a bit with injuries (same for Buddy in terms of consistency). DeAnthony around the same number too. I say all that to say that hopefully they can keep all of them for under $15 million and have depth and tradable contracts to go with the assets.

Please stop with Tobias. It is past time for both sides to move on. His only consistent trait besides being invisible in big spots has been his reliability as far as playing, and now that's becoming a question. He's missing more games, and is clearly a step slower. We need new blood, and he needs to settle into a comfortable tank commander role to close out his career.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,192

Post#172 » by M2J » Fri Apr 5, 2024 10:08 pm

mjkvol wrote:
M2J wrote:
Stanford wrote:

Please stop with Tobias. It is past time for both sides to move on. His only consistent trait besides being invisible in big spots has been his reliability as far as playing, and now that's becoming a question. He's missing more games, and is clearly a step slower. We need new blood, and he needs to settle into a comfortable tank commander role to close out his career.

Problem with that is unless you can actually get someone younger or better, it's better to have him as an option. If he's cheaper (like MLE cheaper and controlled... They can bench him,6th man him, and trade him
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#173 » by kriss73 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:09 pm

A few random thoughts from yesterday:

- Oubre is tailor-made fo Philly. Or other way round.
- Hield is the guard version of Tobias
- Maxey' defense in the clutch is more than average
- Joel is at 50% at maximum: a plus minus -21...WTF????
- Kj Martin in the final starting 5 during the most important W of the the year? Didn't see this coming
- If Joel can recover at 90% , him and 4 shooters will be fun to watch in the post season.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#174 » by mjkvol » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:38 pm

M2J wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
M2J wrote:

Problem with that is unless you can actually get someone younger or better, it's better to have him as an option. If he's cheaper (like MLE cheaper and controlled... They can bench him,6th man him, and trade him

Thanks, but I'll take my chances with moving on.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,207

Post#175 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:37 pm

That's the tough part about Oubre. The eye test does not meet the metrics. He's a -2.4 BPM, shoots 31% from 3, and has a TS of 53.5%

Those things make me value him as a $10 mil/year spark off-the-bench player. He's fun to watch, brings energy, and plays hard but anything more is the making of a bad contract.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,897

Post#176 » by sixers4real » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:44 pm

This was the best win since G5 in semis in Boston 2023
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,552

Post#177 » by SixthStreet » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:56 pm

It's too bad that it looks like Hield's body has betrayed him. He has lost all quick movement ability and doesn't look like he can operate in 2 man games with Embiid. He seems to just be a standstill spacer which is pretty much useless at his size.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers