Sixers vs Spurs

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,043

Re: Sixers vs Spurs 

Post#121 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:21 am

Oubre still better than Harris.
Maxey finally with a good game after the last stinker.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,861

Post#122 » by Phila Tough » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:24 am

I'm so glad we didn't panic trade for Dame. Tf was Portland smoking requesting Maxey. I'm sure that JRoy guy will be summoned now
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,592

Post#123 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:24 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:Oubre still better than Harris.
Maxey finally with a good game after the last stinker.

Also better than Embiid, because availability is the best ability.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,592

Post#124 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:27 am

I thought we’d start our collapse once Reed picked up his 6th foul and we played small ball.

Maxey played well down the stretch, the offense was simple yet we were getting quality shots.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,846

Post#125 » by Ben » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:29 am

Phila Tough wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:Maxey killed some family member of the refs or something

Next step for him is selling more calls

This cannot be overstated. Reminds me a bit of Derrick Rose's career arc, when we fans were screaming for Rose to (a) initiate more contact at the rim, and (b) sell it more. Those things did happen, and Rose skyrocketed. Then came the awful knee injury vs. the Sixers in the playoffs, which changed everything. Of course we want none of that latter stuff for Maxey. But the other things, yes. If Maxey keeps scoring for another year or two, and continues to get respect in the refs' eyes, it should come. But he needs to do a bit more to sell it, too.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,500

Post#126 » by elchengue20 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:30 am

Phila Tough wrote:I'm so glad we didn't panic trade for Dame. Tf was Portland smoking requesting Maxey. I'm sure that JRoy guy will be summoned now

Yep, hes already better than him or at least as good, and obviously much younger. That would have been a dissaster.

Glad we have a good GM because many people (myself included lol) probably was on board with that trade after we lost once again to Boston.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,192

Post#127 » by M2J » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:24 am

Maxey becoming a 25 and 6+ guy with no Harden was obvious IMO and others, especially without replacement guards. I actually thought he'd shoot better from 3 and be more efficient (as he is with Joel for more games). When he does next year .. He'll be MVP level... Legit.

However, all the intangible stuff and other skills. I didn't expect. The constant movement making him unguardable by larger guys and opening up his teammates without the ball. The mid range game that legit has just developed over the last month, and even improved ability to get off the floater and finishing in the paint. Improved passing talent and ball handling, and lack of turnovers. Instead of the 3pt shooter, I thought he was, he is hell to defend in the paint without the fouls that he should get more calls for.

Joel was the most dominant this year but Tyrese and his style of play, allowed him to be better than last year... More so than his own development.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,453

Post#128 » by Eyeamok » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:19 am

What a game. What a game. Both Maxey and Oubre went at Victor in the lane and get their shots swatted. I'm like thinking what the hell are they thinking. Then Maxey's like Ok put him on an island with just me and I will show you how it's done. As long as he is Victor could not keep up with Maxey.....very heady play(s) by Maxey. And that pass from Council to Batum for the 3 was awesome. Good team win. It would have been easy to say ok we can't win them all and just roll over after the Spurs went on their run to take the lead. But they stayed focused and played excellent defense and Maxey did his thing. Yes it was against the Spurs. But the team was coming off a B2B on the road and a lot of their key players were out. So it's a good ass win. Seeding is going to take care of it self but this team seems to be coming together at the right time.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,769

Post#129 » by phillynative » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:53 am

76ciology wrote:I thought we’d start our collapse once Reed picked up his 6th foul and we played small ball.

Maxey played well down the stretch, the offense was simple yet we were getting quality shots.

We were able to overcome small ball because instead of putting unathletic guards on the floor we put a bunch of athletic forwards . Also Batum did a great job guarding up , he made up for his lack of offense by hitting big open shots and doing all the little things.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,043

Post#130 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Apr 8, 2024 12:50 pm

M2J wrote:Maxey becoming a 25 and 6+ guy with no Harden was obvious IMO and others, especially without replacement guards. I actually thought he'd shoot better from 3 and be more efficient (as he is with Joel for more games). When he does next year .. He'll be MVP level... Legit.

However, all the intangible stuff and other skills. I didn't expect. The constant movement making him unguardable by larger guys and opening up his teammates without the ball. The mid range game that legit has just developed over the last month, and even improved ability to get off the floater and finishing in the paint. Improved passing talent and ball handling, and lack of turnovers. Instead of the 3pt shooter, I thought he was, he is hell to defend in the paint without the fouls that he should get more calls for.

Joel was the most dominant this year but Tyrese and his style of play, allowed him to be better than last year... More so than his own development.

Yeah but Maxey is below league average in TS%, so it's not as rosy at it would seem at first glance, he has increased his scoring but his efficiency has decreased significantly. It's still a net positive because his playmaking and passing also has jumped considerably, but it's not the explosion many think.
So ya I think this myth about Maxey exploding as an scorer falls apart upon careful inspection. He has become a much more well rounded player that still doesn't have it to be a primary scorer consistently.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,263

Post#131 » by bball4life » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:05 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
M2J wrote:Maxey becoming a 25 and 6+ guy with no Harden was obvious IMO and others, especially without replacement guards. I actually thought he'd shoot better from 3 and be more efficient (as he is with Joel for more games). When he does next year .. He'll be MVP level... Legit.

Yeah but Maxey is below league average in TS%, so it's not as rosy at it would seem at first glance, he has increased his scoring but his efficiency has decreased significantly. It's still a net positive because his playmaking and passing also has jumped considerably, but it's not the explosion many think.
So ya I think this myth about Maxey exploding as an scorer falls apart upon careful inspection. He has become a much more well rounded player that still doesn't have it to be a primary scorer consistently.

Actually for PGs, Maxey is half a percentage ABOVE league average this year. Plus when you consider he's playing the third most minutes in the league and that he's relied upon over and over to generate offense at the end of games, I'd say he has absolutely taken a leap.

Side note: your boy Oubre is 4% BELOW league average for small forwards. Just sayin.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,750

Post#132 » by the_process » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:49 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:This is minutiae, but I can’t believe Downtin is the guy we decided to convert to a full contract.

Most likely the cheapest option, that way they stayed under the tax while fulfilling the roster spot requirement.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,750

Post#133 » by the_process » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:52 pm

The important thing that Maxey got this year was experience as the focal point. Seeing and feeling what's it's like to have teams game planning for you night in night out. That's not something Embiid or the coaches can simply explain to him. He also has developed as a floor general.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,108

Post#134 » by Murray_17 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:06 pm

Lol at criticizing Maxey TS when he has play two months having one of the biggest USGs on the league and being trapped to hell.

If anything, the fact his TS is around average with THAT usg is an indication of him being an elite guard. Something that also is confirmed by his +/-, BPM and almost any advanced metric.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,552

Post#135 » by SixthStreet » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:51 pm

Raw TS without accounting for usage is a horrible stat and only serves to specific narratives. There are some guys who's TS can be unimpacted by usage, and guess what? Those guys are the ones who are the best players on championship level teams and future HOFers. No one is claiming Maxey is that.
mksp
Analyst
And1: 2,485

Post#136 » by mksp » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:52 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:

Never change lol.
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 954

Post#137 » by Tony Franciosa » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:20 pm

it may have been mentioned earlier, but no way Doc comes up with a play like that at the end of regulation, right? that was a thing of beauty.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,880

Post#138 » by Stanford » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:48 pm

Dudes continue to argue with a chatbot
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,192

Post#139 » by M2J » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:47 pm

bball4life wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:

Actually for PGs, Maxey is half a percentage ABOVE league average this year. Plus when you consider he's playing the third most minutes in the league and that he's relied upon over and over to generate offense at the end of games, I'd say he has absolutely taken a leap.

Side note: your boy Oubre is 4% BELOW league average for small forwards. Just sayin.

I have 0 tolerance for hate on Oubre or Maxey.

Oubre is flawed, but fearless on both ends... The team REQUIRES his athleticism and slashing

Maxey is truly elite. Period. I personally blame the lack of pace from the coaching staff as the reason for the teams struggles without Joel. I know they weren't fully healthy. But with Tyrese Maxey who is a legit all NBA player and still put up his numbers just less efficient as teams sold out on him, Hield, Harris, Oubre, Lowry, Payne .... Offense shouldn't have been such an issue.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,938

Post#140 » by mjkvol » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:28 pm

Breezing through the game thread, all I can say is if I watched games with some of you my wrists would be slit before halftime.

Watched the game late, a really fun team win with great contributions from Batum, Oubre (again!), Martin and Council, who should absolutely be in the plans for next year's rotation, as well as more PT this season. And what more to say about Maxey? Anyone throwing shade at him at this point is an utter fool, but we all knew that already.

Kudos to Nick for the brilliant play call at the end of regulation, and what a pass from Batum. Needless to say, we don't win this game (again) with Glenn coaching. Oh, and another entertaining non-Tobias win. Amazing how much more fun this team is with him out.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin

Return to Philadelphia 76ers