ImageImageImage

#2 Knicks vs #7 Sixers

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

M2J
Starter
And1: 1,197

Re: #2 Knicks vs #7 Sixers 

Post#181 » by M2J » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:38 am

brannigan73 wrote:Honestly if you told me Embiid and Maxey would score as many points as they have in the first two games I would guess we would be up 2-0 or at worst be 1-1. This supporting cast sucks. That's why I was furious when they basically didnt do anything at the trade deadline. Maybe there was nothing that could be done but they just dont have enough good players. Isaiah Hartenstein would be great on the Sixers by the way. He was good long before anyone really recognized it just an effective player whatever his limitations are he just never got consistent minutes until the Clippers a couple years ago. I used to play him whenever he was getting spot starts in Daily Fantasy pre Knicks.

Dejounte Murray was worth those 2 BS picks
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,814

Post#182 » by phillynative » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:24 am

I don't see the logic behind sixers fans thinking we are the better team even before the two losses.They are tougher, more well rounded roster with better role guys. They also have a shot creator /closer in Brunson who hasn't played well but still garners alot of attention. I was banking on Embiid being healthier (silly me) and Oubre giving a little more offensively.

The sixers role players have been bullied and completely taken out of the game. I don't want any of them back except for ricky obviously and Lowry and Batum in much lesser roles. If Oubre doesn't show more offensively this series he can go too.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,925

Post#183 » by Negrodamus » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:15 am

It’s going to be annoying when a wing goes down in these next two games and Council comes in a plays like a dog. His type of game thrives in the playoffs. I don’t know if he gets lost on defensive rotations during practice or what, but he finishes at the rim and plays aggressive on ball defense. Tell him to hunt rebounds and I’m sure he’ll do better than the piss poor display we’ve seen from everyone else.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,682

Post#184 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:53 am

This series has made me realize why Thibs likes to play his guys heavy minutes.

When comparing our team to the Knicks, we're more talented, but we lag behind in the effort department. And I've figured out why.

We can match the Knicks' effort, but we lack one crucial thing: endurance. A prime example is Embiid's rebounding. He had 7 rebounds in the first quarter but ended up with just 10 rebounds overall. He was exhausted in the last few minutes of the game, leading to a silly turnover and slow reaction time, which resulted in not boxing out Hartenstein.

So, most of our guys lack that endurance, except maybe for Maxey. However, most of these Knicks players thrive on it. Mitchell was supposed to miss the entire season, yet here he is. Most of their guys give their all every second they're on the court.

To be fair, I think that was our adjustment in Game 2. Lowry rebounded better, Tobi played great defense down the stretch, Maxey had an extra gear, and Oubre made it his mission to shut down Brunson.

But on that last possession, I felt that Maxey simply lacked the mental endurance to call the timeout when he fell to the floor. Although Embiid was tired, his mental processing was too slow, and he was caught watching Maxey while Hartenstein crashed for the offensive rebound.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,682

Post#185 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:02 pm

One significant adjustment I'd like to see us make is playing Ricky Council over Buddy Hield.

My reasoning is that I find most of our guys have defined roles on our team, and they're performing OK to great in them—except for Buddy Hield.

Hield's role was to provide scoring off the bench, but we've been lacking in this department with only around 20 points in the last two games.

Council is averaging 21 points per 36 minutes compared to Hield's 17 points per 36 minutes, indicating that Council might have the potential to be a better scorer.

Furthermore, Hield isn't getting good looks anyway, and most of his opportunities come from attacking closeouts, which Council could handle better, in addition to being a better defender.

So, Council over Hield—not Payne over Hield.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 845

Post#186 » by Ferry Avenue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:30 pm

76ciology wrote:This series has made me realize why Thibs likes to play his guys heavy minutes.

When comparing our team to the Knicks, we're more talented, but we lag behind in the effort department. And I've figured out why.

We can match the Knicks' effort, but we lack one crucial thing: endurance. A prime example is Embiid's rebounding. He had 7 rebounds in the first quarter but ended up with just 10 rebounds overall. He was exhausted in the last few minutes of the game, leading to a silly turnover and slow reaction time, which resulted in not boxing out Hartenstein.

So, most of our guys lack that endurance, except maybe for Maxey. However, most of these Knicks players thrive on it. Mitchell was supposed to miss the entire season, yet here he is. Most of their guys give their all every second they're on the court.

To be fair, I think that was our adjustment in Game 2. Lowry rebounded better, Tobi played great defense down the stretch, Maxey had an extra gear, and Oubre made it his mission to shut down Brunson.

But on that last possession, I felt that Maxey simply lacked the mental endurance to call the timeout when he fell to the floor. Although Embiid was tired, his mental processing was too slow, and he was caught watching Maxey while Hartenstein crashed for the offensive rebound.

We lag behind in the effort department because the face of the franchise is a guy who's regularly emotionally flat on the court. Whereas other teams have stars who are inspirational in their demeanor, functioning as a "rising tide that lifts all boats" for their teams, this one on the other hand has one who functions in the opposite manner for his team, as a ball and chain in that department. Embiid has been more animated and inspirational sitting on the bench injured in the past than he has been in these two games. That doesn't compute. If you're out there fighting to win, where is your spirit?

PJ Tucker had to get in his face during the playoffs for this reason. Where is the improvement? He should be getting in his teammates' faces -- as Tucker did with him -- and functioning to lift and inspire them emotionally. Instead he's the guy who needs the inspiration and lift from other people. When that's the fulcrum of your team it's going to teeter in the wrong direction unfortunately, and you're going to have rebounds, games, and ultimately your soul stolen from you by teams like the Knicks.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,586

Post#187 » by NYSixersFan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:05 pm

Totally agree about playing Council over Hield. Said it after game 1. I also said Nurse would wait until we're down 3-0 or 3-1 when it's too late. Similar to when Brett Started TJ McConnel in game 4 against the Celtics in 2018.

Either expand the rotation or change it. This 8 man hot garbage he's using ain't gonna fly.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,761

Post#188 » by the_process » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:16 pm

76ciology wrote:One significant adjustment I'd like to see us make is playing Ricky Council over Buddy Hield. Tobias Harris.

FIFY.

Now if you want to move Tobias to the bench unit and see if he can use some possessions there instead of Hield, have at it.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#189 » by Negrodamus » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:54 pm

Once again, the “we need three point shooting” crowd every off-season and trade deadline is seeing our team of three point shooting hitting average to below average from the outside. No one gets clean threes in the playoffs unless they suck from outside or are playing against us. We need guys who can get baskets from inside the arc.
seventy6ers
Sophomore
And1: 68

Post#190 » by seventy6ers » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:31 pm

Council is literally the only adjustment for bench players that can be made. Everyone else is hurt or wouldn't really help. Hield looks lost out there and provides no impact at all. Its time to let Council bring some energy on both ends of the floor.
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#191 » by Tony Franciosa » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:33 pm

Heidl def looks overwhelmed by the moment. He seems not cut out for playoff ball yet.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,586

Post#192 » by NYSixersFan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:53 pm

I feel much better knowing LeBron thinks we got robbed.
seventy6ers
Sophomore
And1: 68

Post#193 » by seventy6ers » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:02 pm

NYSixersFan wrote:I feel much better knowing LeBron thinks we got robbed.

So does Stephen A Smith, surprisingly
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,934

Post#194 » by Mik317 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:10 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Once again, the “we need three point shooting” crowd every off-season and trade deadline is seeing our team of three point shooting hitting average to below average from the outside. No one gets clean threes in the playoffs unless they suck from outside or are playing against us. We need guys who can get baskets from inside the arc.

its moreso we need dudes who are nuts enough to take "bad" shots.

We have "shooters" but all of them only shoot when they are wide open, have time to do their taxes and on a wednesday night with a full moon. Hield was advertised as such but he's not.

But yeah some bucket getters that can get their own shot would be a huuuuge help. It can't be your giant center with **** legs for damn sure.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,761

Post#195 » by the_process » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:21 pm

Mik317 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Once again, the “we need three point shooting” crowd every off-season and trade deadline is seeing our team of three point shooting hitting average to below average from the outside. No one gets clean threes in the playoffs unless they suck from outside or are playing against us. We need guys who can get baskets from inside the arc.

We have "shooters" but all of them only shoot when they are wide open, have time to do their taxes and on a wednesday night with a full moon. Hield was advertised as such but he's not.

But yeah some bucket getters that can get their own shot would be a huuuuge help. It can't be your giant center with **** legs for damn sure.

That is supposed to be (and has been for most of the year) Oubre, but even he defers to Jo. When GSW hated him because he wouldn't defer to Curry! :lol:

So my question is: is that Nurse telling the guys to look for Jo, or is it Jo demanding fealty? It needs to stop.
The KnicksFix
Starter
And1: 1,599

Post#196 » by The KnicksFix » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:22 pm

76ciology wrote:This series has made me realize why Thibs likes to play his guys heavy minutes.

This was one of the most honest assessments. Respect.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#197 » by Negrodamus » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:29 pm

Mik317 wrote:

Yea, yesterday no one scored over 110 points. League average during the season was 114 ppg. Hield is finding out real quickly that hitting a ton of threes is different between regular season and playoffs. Guys who are capable of getting tough buckets off the dribble usually show up for playoff time.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,759

Post#198 » by stormi » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:26 pm

We need guys that can get others looks. We need someone that can put the ball on the deck, collapse a defense and then create a shot for someone else. Maxey is a score first guard with developing passing instincts. Embiid is a 7' giant with inconsistent coordination.

We need a guy a non-geriatric hub of offense that ideally can also shoot the three ball and isn't a total defensive liability.

The guy you've been pounding the table for would help us out because he can do things that we're lacking on this roster, but his deficiencies are damn near suicidal in today's age of constructing a modern contender.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,759

Post#199 » by stormi » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:30 pm

The list of players who have scored 30 or more points six times in the playoffs before the age of 24.

Some decent company for Tyrese Maxey.

Read on Twitter

Also his shot yesterday that should have clinched it was eerily reminiscent of him gaming Michigan State at MSG.

edit:

Players who have averaged 30 or more in a playoff series at age 23.

Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#200 » by Negrodamus » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:34 pm

stormi wrote:

We need guys that can get others looks. We need someone that can put the ball on the deck, collapse a defense and then create a shot for someone else. Maxey is a score first guard with developing passing instincts. Embiid is a 7' giant with inconsistent coordination.

We need a guy a non-geriatric hub of offense that ideally can also shoot the three ball and isn't a total defensive liability.

The guy you've been pounding the table for would help us out because he can do things that we're lacking on this roster, but his deficiencies are damn near suicidal in today's age of constructing a modern contender.

If you're referring to DeRozan, I think he worked in a vacuum of this year. If his contract is going to be 40 per, then it's a stupid investment. But his ability to get baskets, particularly in crunchtime, would make us a top 3 team in this playoffs, imo. Replacing him with Tobi and starting Batum at the 4 would be the most deadly lineup.

But I think this would limit our options this offseason if someone like Doncic or Zion want out and would consider us since we would have had to part with assets to get him, so I get it.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers