Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Iscull
Senior
And1: 127

Re: #2 Knicks vs #7 Sixers 

Post#241 » by Iscull » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:08 pm

the_process wrote:
EmbiidRocks wrote:
the_process wrote:Really need Oubre to play more like Oubre. Come out both guns blazing. He's doing a good job on Brunson, but they need his fearless shot jacking even more I think.

But if he misses a lot of shots, he will be a chucker.

He's always been a chucker. That's what the Sixers need. Their problem so far is not defense, it's offense.

Which is fine when he's hitting shots. I think they tried to get him going early in Game 2, but he missed a lot of his first attempts/drives to the bucket. With that,he probably lost some confidence and stopped shooting. Could've been why he wasn't in the game late in the 4th.

His energy and defense have been fantastic. I just think he cannot play with Harris, who has really struggled shooting this series. It needs to be Batum, given his ability to hit open shots.
Iscull
Senior

Post#242 » by Iscull » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:14 pm

In game 2, we only went 8 players deep.

I think our best shot is starting:

Maxey
Lowry
Oubre (Rotation/Minutes should match Brunson)
Batum
Embiid

Off the bench

Harris (When Oubre is not playing)
Hield (Match Bogdanavic Rotation/Minutes, make him run)
Reed (Embiid off minutes)
Martin/Council - I'm not sure why we're focused on giving Tobias 40 minutes, who can't score more than 10 points. I pray Nurse gives these guys some minutes.
Iscull
Senior

Post#243 » by Iscull » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:16 pm

Side note - maybe Melton comes out to guard against Hart in some minutes?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,520

Post#244 » by youngcrev » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:31 pm

the_process wrote:Really need Oubre to play more like Oubre. Come out both guns blazing. He's doing a good job on Brunson, but they need his fearless shot jacking even more I think.

Him and Buddy becoming gun shy was not on my bingo card.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,771

Post#245 » by the_process » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:42 pm

Harris should be out of the rotation entirely at this point. Make up some injury, send him home. Play Council.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#246 » by AI_Efficiency » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:44 pm

the_process wrote:Harris should be out of the rotation entirely at this point. Make up some injury, send him home. Play Council.

I would give him a short leash, but if he takes a contested fade away mid range I would pull him. I’m hoping he has one efficient scoring game in him and he looked at least like he cared last game, but he has to be more effective scoring.
EmbiidRocks
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#247 » by EmbiidRocks » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:18 pm

youngcrev wrote:

Oubre at least has done some good things on defense, like some key steals he made. Buddy though, his contributions need to come on offense.
Iscull
Senior

Post#248 » by Iscull » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:11 pm

EmbiidRocks wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Oubre at least has done some good things on defense, like some key steals he made. Buddy though, his contributions need to come on offense.

He needs to see the ball go through the hoop - I think Nurse will have to draw something up to get him going. Being at home should help a lot too
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,710

Post#249 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:36 am

It's finally showing that the Knicks are vulnerable when Mitchell is off the court. There's quite a big difference in their on/off performance when comparing Hartenstein and Mitchell.

Using Payne over Hield is also the right move. Nurse should continue with this strategy where he assesses Hield's performance in a short span and then substitutes him for Payne if he underperforms.

Additionally, Batum and Lowry are crucial in close games during the stretch.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,710

Post#250 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:56 am

I think Melton is our backup option if Payne ever struggles or Tobi becomes a liability. However, on paper, it could also be Council whom we can replace Tobi with if Tobi becomes a liability.

Hield/Payne/Melton
Tobi/Melton or Council

Having a healthy Melton would be huge
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,967

Post#251 » by Negrodamus » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:25 pm

Joel, Tyrese, Oubre

... Tobias.

ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,237

Post#252 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:11 pm

Melton is the perfect 8th guy for this series. We need to create more chaos defensively.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,201

Post#253 » by M2J » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:10 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Melton is the perfect 8th guy for this series. We need to create more chaos defensively.

Totally is. Even if they need to go smaller, they could due to the guys the Knicks play and their style.

I still think that Hield should get a look in the series. They need to try l run things for him and he needs to shoot whether he's open or not. The team needs to play faster and Payne helped with that as he's even more of a ball handler and playmaker than Kyle at this point. Plus like all of these guys should be doing he wasn't afraid to shoot early in transition. Push tempo and take the first early look, if they set their defense, wait for Joel or Maxey

They also should consider playing a similar style that they did in game 3 defensively. They less in terms of crowding Brunson.... Shutting off many open looks to the role players for Knicks. He was dominant, but won't always be. However, in doing so they should also be more physical with him. Any layup for him or donate for that matter should end up as a foul with them getting off the ground. Play more Tobias on Brunson as he's stronger... When Brunson does that push off step back, it knocks him more off balance to do it against Tobi.

I don't believe there's much that can be done against the Knicks transition buckets, but better effort can limit it. They're super committed to it and they should be
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,035

Post#254 » by mjkvol » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:19 pm

M2J wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Melton is the perfect 8th guy for this series. We need to create more chaos defensively.

Totally is. Even if they need to go smaller, they could due to the guys the Knicks play and their style.

I still think that Hield should get a look in the series. They need to try l run things for him and he needs to shoot whether he's open or not. The team needs to play faster and Payne helped with that as he's even more of a ball handler and playmaker than Kyle at this point. Plus like all of these guys should be doing he wasn't afraid to shoot early in transition. Push tempo and take the first early look, if they set their defense, wait for Joel or Maxey

They also should consider playing a similar style that they did in game 3 defensively. They less in terms of crowding Brunson.... Shutting off many open looks to the role players for Knicks. He was dominant, but won't always be. However, in doing so they should also be more physical with him. Any layup for him or donate for that matter should end up as a foul with them getting off the ground. Play more Tobias on Brunson as he's stronger... When Brunson does that push off step back, it knocks him more off balance to do it against Tobi.

I don't believe there's much that can be done against the Knicks transition buckets, but better effort can limit it. They're super committed to it and they should be

I'd be happy if the Sixers played it like game 3 except I'd like to see them chasing the Knicks off the 3-pt. line. 2's can't kill you and lead to big runs and huge momentum shifts like 3's. Late in the game, the Sixers were allowing wide open 3's every time down the court, and couldn't put the Knicks away. Take away the 3, and dare them to beat you with mid-range shots - aside from Brunson, they're a team full of snipers.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,201

Post#255 » by M2J » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:46 pm

When allowing Brunson to take the shots, they also need to make him work defensively. This video shows how they actually did make him work.

Well if they counter by putting him on Oubre and Maxey loses a bit of advantage.... Run screens with Oubre and Joel or Tobias. That's how you get others involved
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,512

Post#256 » by Snotbubbles » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:48 pm

1 down, 3 to go. Sixers winning the next 3. Book it.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 847

Post#257 » by Ferry Avenue » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:12 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:1 down, 3 to go. Sixers winning the next 3. Book it.

There have been 449 playoff series in NBA history in which a team went up 2-0 in the series.

In only 14 of those series did the team down 0-2 win the following four games in a row to win the series.

As a function of NBA history alone, the Sixers have but a 3% chance of winning this series 4-2.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,599

Post#258 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:15 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:

There have been 449 playoff series in NBA history in which a team went up 2-0 in the series.

In only 14 of those series did the team down 0-2 win the following four games in a row to win the series.

As a function of NBA history alone, the Sixers have but a 3% chance of winning this series 4-2.

And here he is.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,512

Post#259 » by Snotbubbles » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:18 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:

What happened in the previous 449 playoff series have no bearing on this series. Statistically speaking, these playoff series are independent of each other.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 847

Post#260 » by Ferry Avenue » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:22 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:

What happened in the previous 449 playoff series have no bearing on this series. Statistically speaking, these playoff series are independent of each other.

If you asked the question "what is the probability that a team wins an NBA playoff series 4-2 after going down 0-2," the answer would be 3%.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers