#2 Knicks vs #7 Sixers

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,525

Re: #2 Knicks vs #7 Sixers 

Post#261 » by elchengue20 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:1 down, 3 to go. Sixers winning the next 3. Book it.

There have been 449 playoff series in NBA history in which a team went up 2-0 in the series.

In only 14 of those series did the team down 0-2 win the following four games in a row to win the series.

As a function of NBA history alone, the Sixers have but a 3% chance of winning this series 4-2.

Those type of analysis are a little bit dumb.

I'm sure in 90% of these 449 playoff series, the 0-2 wasn't clearly the more talented team like in our case. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

I'm not saying we are going to win it 4-2, but 3% is a little bit low for our case for sure.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#262 » by sixers4real » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:03 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:

There have been 449 playoff series in NBA history in which a team went up 2-0 in the series.

In only 14 of those series did the team down 0-2 win the following four games in a row to win the series.

As a function of NBA history alone, the Sixers have but a 3% chance of winning this series 4-2.

What are our chances now? We are 1-2
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,440

Post#263 » by eyeatoma » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:28 pm

sixers4real wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:

What are our chances now? We are 1-2

20 percent.

https://www.landofbasketball.com/statistics/playoff_series_2_1_recovered.htm
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,617

Post#264 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:05 am

Draftkings has it:
Knicks -235. (70.1%)
Sixers +190. (34.5%)

So, roughly 1 in 3
Sixercise
Sixth Man
And1: 480

Post#265 » by Sixercise » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:41 am

Ferry Avenue wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:There have been 449 playoff series in NBA history in which a team went up 2-0 in the series.

What happened in the previous 449 playoff series have no bearing on this series. Statistically speaking, these playoff series are independent of each other.

If you asked the question "what is the probability that a team wins an NBA playoff series 4-2 after going down 0-2," the answer would be 3%.

The odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field are approximately 3,720 to 1.
rilamann wrote:Leave Simmons alone, your back would be sore too if you didn't have a spine.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,201

Post#266 » by M2J » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 am

elchengue20 wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:

Those type of analysis are a little bit dumb.

I'm sure in 90% of these 449 playoff series, the 0-2 wasn't clearly the more talented team like in our case. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

I'm not saying we are going to win it 4-2, but 3% is a little bit low for our case for sure.

That's exactly right most of those series have probably come from over matched series. This is a weird situation. Game 1 I felt was actually the Sixers best game. Of course the offensive rebounds were major, but offensively and defensively they were great.... Until Joel got hurt and they lost it in the 2nd half. Should've won by 5+ in game 2. Double digit win in game 3, in their worst defensive effort by far. Philly is the best team, and should win this series. At this point they have no excuse to lose another game... They've seen everything the Knicks have and are much more talented. At this point the only adjustment is how to get more from role players and they should be able to figure that out, because Joel is about to get doubled
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,600

Post#267 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:33 am

Sixercise wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:
What happened in the previous 449 playoff series have no bearing on this series. Statistically speaking, these playoff series are independent of each other.

If you asked the question "what is the probability that a team wins an NBA playoff series 4-2 after going down 0-2," the answer would be 3%.

The odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field are approximately 3,720 to 1.

Never tell me the odds!
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,723

Post#268 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:52 am

If there is a way for us to get a source of offense outside of Maxey and Embiid, it's likely to come from Oubre and Tobi, and perhaps some off-the-bench scoring from Payne, Hield or even Council.

Regarding Oubre and Tobi, instead of letting Oubre defend Brunson the entire game, maybe we can exchange Tobi and Oubre’s roles. Tobi could slide to defend Brunson and shoot corner 3s, while Oubre becomes the rebounder and the player we can look to bully smaller defenders like Brunson, Divicenzo, or Hart. If we ever decide to play Council, he can take on either Tobi or Oubre’s role.

Payne was successful running pick-and-rolls and shooting transition 3s; he should continue to do that.

We run offensive sets to get Oubre and Tobi their shots. Maybe we should also run off-ball screen actions for Hield, similar to how the Knicks run it for Bogdanovic or how the Hawks used to do it for Korver off the bench. Alternatively, Hield could keep setting ghost screens to ease up the defense and create driving lanes to the basket.

All these can improve our offense, which is a bigger problem for Knicks to stop than for us to generate. But I think the concern is more on challenging Knicks shooters, not giving up a lot of transition points, boxing out and rebounding.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#269 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:18 am

One of the most common ways the Knicks are grabbing offensive rebounds is when Brunson has the ball. The player, usually Hart, whom the defender, usually Lowry, would shade or is looking at the ball handler and not his defender, dives to the rim to receive a pass or crashes for the offensive rebound. It's something we can also do if defenders shade towards Maxey or Embiid.

We should try to keep track of how many times we execute these "dives" and how many we prevent against the Knicks to make our players more aware and conscious of both team’s “dives”.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 424

Post#270 » by Zumramania » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:28 am

Running offense through Tobi from 3rd quarter onwards is a terrible idea. This is where we start to bleed. The guy is a loser and on top of that it is questionable how motivated is he when he is not going to be here next season. A corner 3 may be his limit, if he decides to shoot it. Cam Payne is good in these moments because he can create. Buddy Hield does not seem to work in this series. It's fascinating how we manage to acquire guys who have the largest gaps between regular season and playoff perfomances ever. Going from one of the best shooters in the league to not being able hit a 3 in the playoffs. Meanwhile Bojan Bogdanovic was hitting all the clutch shots for the Knicks in games 1 and 2.

I would also like to see some Ricky Council minutes and some Reed & Embiid minutes could be an option to match the Knicks intensity. As the series progresses I think Nurse will make the necessary moves or else he will lose. It is hard to play the politics game and win in the playoffs at the same time.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,038

Post#271 » by mjkvol » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:46 pm

76ciology wrote:If there is a way for us to get a source of offense outside of Maxey and Embiid, it's likely to come from Oubre and Tobi, and perhaps some off-the-bench scoring from Payne, Hield or even Council.

Regarding Oubre and Tobi, instead of letting Oubre defend Brunson the entire game, maybe we can exchange Tobi and Oubre’s roles. Tobi could slide to defend Brunson and shoot corner 3s, while Oubre becomes the rebounder and the player we can look to bully smaller defenders like Brunson, Divicenzo, or Hart. If we ever decide to play Council, he can take on either Tobi or Oubre’s role.

Payne was successful running pick-and-rolls and shooting transition 3s; he should continue to do that.

We run offensive sets to get Oubre and Tobi their shots. Maybe we should also run off-ball screen actions for Hield, similar to how the Knicks run it for Bogdanovic or how the Hawks used to do it for Korver off the bench. Alternatively, Hield could keep setting ghost screens to ease up the defense and create driving lanes to the basket.

All these can improve our offense, which is a bigger problem for Knicks to stop than for us to generate. But I think the concern is more on challenging Knicks shooters, not giving up a lot of transition points, boxing out and rebounding.

Your analyses are generally very solid, but at what point does it sink in that 'Tobi' is done, especially that we should be running sets for him to get shots? If Nurse is adamant about keeping him in the rotation, then have him rebound, defend Brunson at times, and camp in the corner in the half court. He can't finish any more, and his dribble to the middle then dump it out stuff just kills the half court offense. Nick won't do it, but I'd love to see Council get his minutes, or at least some of them.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
76ciology
RealGM

Post#272 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:46 pm

FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,673

Post#273 » by FireMorey » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:01 pm

I don't post in the GB, but I got tagged because some dude browsed this board and took a bunch of posts of people defending Embiid and poster was "disappointed there wasn't more empathy."

Lmao... empathy? Mitchell Robinson didn't drown in a fishing accident, the dude's legs were lightly touched by Joel Embiid laying on the ground. News flash: incessant whining and childish hyperbole is not going to make people side with you. It just comes off like you being a drama queen. Grow up and go outside. Sweet Maria.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,904

Post#274 » by Stanford » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 pm

FireMorey wrote:"disappointed there wasn't more empathy."

The general board would throw a party if Embiid tore his ACL.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,821

Post#275 » by phillynative » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:54 pm

FireMorey wrote:I don't post in the GB, but I got tagged because some dude browsed this board and took a bunch of posts of people defending Embiid and poster was "disappointed there wasn't more empathy."

Lmao... empathy? Mitchell Robinson didn't drown in a fishing accident, the dude's legs were lightly touched by Joel Embiid laying on the ground. News flash: incessant whining and childish hyperbole is not going to make people side with you. It just comes off like you being a drama queen. Grow up and go outside. Sweet Maria.

:lol:

Embiid turns NBA fans into do-gooder, moral saints
76ciology
RealGM

Post#276 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 pm

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:If there is a way for us to get a source of offense outside of Maxey and Embiid, it's likely to come from Oubre and Tobi, and perhaps some off-the-bench scoring from Payne, Hield or even Council.

Your analyses are generally very solid, but at what point does it sink in that 'Tobi' is done, especially that we should be running sets for him to get shots? If Nurse is adamant about keeping him in the rotation, then have him rebound, defend Brunson at times, and camp in the corner in the half court. He can't finish any more, and his dribble to the middle then dump it out stuff just kills the half court offense. Nick won't do it, but I'd love to see Council get his minutes, or at least some of them.

If you reread my post, I mentioned Tobi sliding into defending Brunson and shooting corner 3s (he’s shooting 40% for the season and 50% so far in the playoffs) while letting Oubre bully smaller defenders.

Tobi has been struggling, but I'm realistic and won't let my frustrations with him cloud my judgment by suggesting we bench him and give his minutes to Ricky Council, as that's not feasible.

It's still early in the playoffs, but we currently have the best offensive rating in the entire playoffs at 121 ORTG, and our starting unit with Tobias is the best 5-man unit in the playoffs.

As of now, the primary concern lies more on the defensive end and rebounding.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#277 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:23 pm

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,673

Post#278 » by FireMorey » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:56 pm

phillynative wrote:
FireMorey wrote:I don't post in the GB, but I got tagged because some dude browsed this board and took a bunch of posts of people defending Embiid and poster was "disappointed there wasn't more empathy."

:lol:

Embiid turns NBA fans into do-gooder, moral saints

Where's your empathy??? What are you, a sociopath???
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,038

Post#279 » by mjkvol » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:23 pm

76ciology wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

If you reread my post, I mentioned Tobi sliding into defending Brunson and shooting corner 3s (he’s shooting 40% for the season and 50% so far in the playoffs) while letting Oubre bully smaller defenders.

Tobi has been struggling, but I'm realistic and won't let my frustrations with him cloud my judgment by suggesting we bench him and give his minutes to Ricky Council, as that's not feasible.

It's still early in the playoffs, but we currently have the best offensive rating in the entire playoffs at 121 ORTG, and our starting unit with Tobias is the best 5-man unit in the playoffs.

I was reacting to this line in your post.

We run offensive sets to get Oubre and Tobi their shots.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
76ciology
RealGM

Post#280 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:01 pm

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I was reacting to this line in your post.

We run offensive sets to get Oubre and Tobi their shots.

Nurse tried to get them going by running 1-2 sets for them which we could also do for Hield. Similar to how Knicks use Bogdanovic.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers