ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,317

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#1 » by Arsenal » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:30 pm

This season was lost long before today unfortunately when Embiid got hurt tanking our seed. Even before we were not "all-in" and this was a transition year after not extending Harden.

So this is what should have been expected. Everything has pointed to this offseason as the key moment when Daryl Morey will turn this team into a real contender.

He has the reigning MVP under contract along with a 2nd star in Maxey with a $13m caphold. Everyone else is a FA and even Paul Reed is non-guaranteed after losing the 1st round.

So, what is the plan? Paul George? Pascal Siakam? Lebron James? Just getting a ton of depth?

My personal feeling is they need that third star and the best fit is Pascal Siakam due to age and position. I've changed my tune on that as just depth around Embiid won't be enough considering how injury prone he is.

If we MAX Siakam, we still have around $25m in cap space left. That should be enough for 2 more starters, preferably 3&D types. Then we can get a 6th man type via the Room Exception. Otherwise use the full $25m on one more better starter.

After that we need vet mins, so hopefully Lowry comes back and we get a couple more decent ones. Maybe Melton comes back on a vet min to keep his bird rights. Maybe RoCo or Batum also. There will be others available and we need to snag a few.

Maxey gets his MAX after all other moves are made.

The team would be thin for a year, but in future years can add more players with MLE and other exceptions.

Lineup:

PG Maxey | Lowry (vet min)
SG Cap Space | Vet min
SF Cap Space | Room Exception
PF Siakam | Vet min
CE Embiid | Vet min

What should be Daryl's plan this summer? It's make or break time for him now...
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,061

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#2 » by mjkvol » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:37 pm

No offense, I usually like your content, but that's some serious loser schiit, Arsenal.

I think this thread can wait another few days, or possibly more. I just hope the Sixers haven't checked out like so many 'fans' have. Were you one of those that made some cash selling your seat to a Knick fan today?
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,317

Post#3 » by Arsenal » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:41 pm

mjkvol wrote:No offense, I usually like your content, but that's some serious loser schiit, Arsenal.

I think this thread can wait another few days, or possibly more. I just hope the Sixers haven't checked out like so many 'fans' have. Were you one of those that made some cash selling your seat to a Knick fan today?

Hey if they get up off the mat feel free to take shots at me for not having faith. If people don't want to participate in this thread until the Sixers are officially eliminated, so be it. Bottom line is I'd be shocked if we get through the first round now, so my focus is on the offseason.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,061

Post#4 » by mjkvol » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:51 pm

Arsenal wrote:
mjkvol wrote:No offense, I usually like your content, but that's some serious loser schiit, Arsenal.

Hey if they get up off the mat feel free to take shots at me for not having faith. If people don't want to participate in this thread until the Sixers are officially eliminated, so be it. Bottom line is I'd be shocked if we get through the first round now, so my focus is on the offseason.

You can do whatever you want, obviously, but what's the point of following a team that's in the playoffs if you're going to quit before it's even over? But whatever, carry on, I'm sure many here feel the same as you and will chime in.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,791

Post#5 » by the_process » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:53 pm

Well, we know Tobias has completely checked out. Embiid probably has one foot out the door to Paris, as well. Batum dreaming of Cali retirement.

Maxey is a fighter but can’t do it himself when he’s surrounded by boat anchors.

We’ll wait on “Morey’s last stand” (which should be title of the thread BTW) until after the playoffs, though.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#6 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:53 pm

I would max Maxey and Oubre, they deserve it for all they have shown.
Trade Embiid and everyone else, if not in the offseason before trade deadline.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,606

Post#7 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:58 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:I would max Maxey and Oubre, they deserve it for all they have shown.

You want to max Oubre? That quote is damn near signature worthy and quite possibly the dumbest idea I have ever heard in 20 years of posting on this forum. That comment you just made literally sits atop the mountain of dumb $hit that you have posted. You should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting that.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#8 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:01 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:I would max Maxey and Oubre, they deserve it for all they have shown.

You want to max Oubre? That quote is damn near signature worthy and quite possibly the dumbest idea I have ever heard in 20 years of posting on this forum. That comment you just made literally sits atop the mountain of dumb $hit that you have posted. You should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting that.

Let me explain, we will be rebuilding for at least 2 or 3 years, of course if we can sign him for less do it, but we are not a FA destination anyway, while we rebuild it wouldn't hurt a guy with passion even if the cost is steep. Just don't sign him to a 5-year max or something dumb like that, just a short amount of years that fit our rebuild timeline.
And this cannot be your worst idea, I'm sure some posters here were ok with maxing Harris, that was for sure a worse idea, as Oubre is a better player.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,940

Post#9 » by Mik317 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:02 pm

its less about the team makeup and more about the approach on the court.

having your bread and butter being throwing it into the post or having you center initiate all offense just seems like a bad idea when said center is injury prone and maxes out at maybe 40 minutes. Bu-but Jokic tho...one Jokic is one of one and doesn't extend as much effort on anything lol...thats not Biid's game no matter how much he wants it to be. The Camaroonian Brook Lopez stuff is a joke but not really. IMO the team looks its best when its the two man game with Maxey WITH Maxey as the 1st option; second best is when Biid is the option off the catch for an immediate shot. Too often our sets take too long to develop and even then Biid or Maxey or whoever often takes too long to make the decision to take the shot. Part of that is personale obviously but also I think Biid wants it that way...he has to realize that his body is simply not able to do so if nothing else... I hope this Olympic run has him fall in love with not having to be the whole team for once (if he even goes lol).

Secondly yet another year of needing to get younger and more athletic. Got killed on the boards and on fast breaks all year. Also maybe don't play 2 small guards at all times again..would assist in not having Biid have to put out all fires.

BUT I don't think we will get that. Morey will sign PG or Derozan, and fill out the roster with technically solid players who do one thing at an okay level and we have to hope that Biid doesn't get a new illness and Maxey continues his upward growth and said FA guy doesn't decline...which might work as even with this flawed roster we were on a 54 win pace. But IDK about come playoff time.

And honestly IDK if "my way" works or is even possible either so it is what it is. We are def in the need to get some luck point of the team building stuff. Missing on those draft picks and using all of our ammo on duds, simply catches up with you after a while
#NeverGonnaBeGood
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,528

Post#10 » by elchengue20 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:03 pm

Trade Embiid, been telling you for a couple of years now.

In a couple of years at most he's going to be a shell of his MVP form. He's not going to get healthier in his 30's, it's going to get worse.

I rather trade him now for a PG13 or Gobert like haul and speed up the rebuilding process around Maxey considerably.

I rather do that than watching Embiid drop 35 ppg for 40 games in the meaningless RS, get hurt for the Playoffs, choke in 4th quarters and get eliminated in the 2nd round in the best case scenario. And then start a painful rebuilding in some years.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#11 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:03 pm

George is also a guy that has loser vibes, I want no part of him.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,984

Post#12 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:06 pm

If Embiid is on this roster past the trade deadline it doesn't matter. He can't get through a finish line now and he's not going to spontaneously grow a sack at this point. Great regular season guy, but if the goal is to eventually win a championship we need to reset now and trade his ass for assets while he still has some legitimate value.

Can't stress this enough.... we'll regret it if we don't trade him now.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#13 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:07 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:George is also a guy that has loser vibes, I want no part of him.

Lol he's got 26 points in the first half against Dallas right now. Only reason why George has regressed is because he's mistakenly no longer the primary creator in LA with Harden there.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,984

Post#14 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:07 pm

elchengue20 wrote:Trade Embiid, been telling you for a couple of years now.

In a couple of years at most he's going to be a shell of his MVP form. He's not going to get healthier in his 30's, it's going to get worse.

I rather trade him now for a PG13 or Gobert like haul and speed up the rebuilding process around Maxey considerably.

I rather do that than watching Embiid drop 35 ppg for 40 games in the meaningless RS, get hurt for the Playoffs, choke in 4th quarters and get eliminated in the 2nd round in the best case scenario. And then start a painful rebuilding in some years.
Exactly this

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#15 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

Let me explain, we will be rebuilding for at least 2 or 3 years, of course if we can sign him for less do it, but we are not a FA destination anyway, while we rebuild it wouldn't hurt a guy with passion even if the cost is steep. Just don't sign him to a 5-year max or something dumb like that, just a short amount of years that fit our rebuild timeline.
And this cannot be your worst idea, I'm sure some posters here were ok with maxing Harris, that was for sure a worse idea, as Oubre is a better player.

You said MAX Oubre....Max him...Those were your words. MAX contract. That's....like 200 million dollars at 50 mill a year. Might even be more now IDK.

If you simply meant re-sign him, then yeah...I agree with bringing him back on a reasonable contract. Not a max deal.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#16 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:09 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:George is also a guy that has loser vibes, I want no part of him.

Lol he's got 26 points in the first half against Dallas right now. Only reason why George has regressed is because he's mistakenly no longer the primary creator in LA with Harden there.

Embiid also went for what 51 points the other day, means nothing, his emotions and leadership on the court are terrible, we need to get away from that.
Also, his age is a big no-no unless it's a 1-2 year contract, these guys always want a lot of years though.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,940

Post#17 » by Mik317 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:10 pm

Who has enough picks to give up said haul and why would they for a guy you think is going to fall off? Gobert trade was stupid and got clowned on, not happening again. People love to point to OKC but why would they give up on any of their core? It is very easy to go "oh we should just trade him for this" when the reality it may not be out there.

the only way you get a "haul" for Biid is if he asks out because otherwise everyone is going to think he must be even more damaged the moment we put him on the market.

OKC only got a haul for PG because he asked for it and LA was in no position to bargin due to Kawhii.

You are all in such a hurry to rebuild asap lol....
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,096

Post#18 » by Embiid P » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:14 pm

1. Let Harris go. Do not bring him back under any circumstances even for the vet minimum.

2. Instead of trying to sign a third star at or near Embiid's age, try to acquire one (preferably closer to Maxey's age) in a trade preferably on draft night when our assets and cap space will be at its max. Preferably a bigger guard and/or a wing. It sucks to have to part with assets but the current free agency market doesn't impress me at all. If necessary, try to find a young soon to be star a la Haliburton a few years back.

3. Fill out the rest of our roster with good fitting role players with our remaining cap space.

4. Re-sign Maxey whose Bird rights will allow us to go over the cap.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,018

Post#19 » by Negrodamus » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:16 pm

We're 100% going to get Miles Bridges, aren't we? Perfect fit to replace Tobias as he's a rebounder and outside shooter.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#20 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:17 pm

Mik317 wrote:

Gobert trade was stupid and got clowned on, not happening again.

Ok...But...If Minny goes to the Finals this year, does the Gobert trade still look bad? The goal in mind is to win rings and if Minnesota giving up what they gave up for Gobert puts them in a position to do so, thenI think it makes it ok. As far as trading Embiid? No way... I'm with you on that. I will say this though...The Gobert trade came out of nowhere after a playoff fail. Many thought it was because of Mitchell, but he ended up getting shipped out too.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers