ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,079

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#161 » by mjkvol » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:53 pm

Mik317 wrote:why would Siakam leave Indy lol. They will probably be coming off a second round series or maybe even a ECF.

They also probably will pay him the max and IIRC can pay more.

Exactly my thinking all along. And why would Indy part with what they did for a half season rental? They're clearly intending to max him, and would be crazy not to.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,609

Post#162 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:57 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:Don't flatter yourself. I couldn't care less about any "rise" any of you all have here. I respectfully post what I want as means of expressing myself and my thoughts about the team. "You" are not a part of that equation, despite that you apparently desperately want to believe you are.

At least in responding to that post you have accepted the fact that you indeed are a troll. Acceptance is the first stage of recovery. Best of luck with your journey back to normalcy.

No, according to you trolls are people who post with the intent to get a rise out of others. Any rise you or others could experience is nowhere on my radar, trust me. But keep flattering yourself and imagining my posting has everything to do with you -- it's completely consistent with your narcissism that runs rampant here.

Pot...Meet kettle fueled by gaslighting. Sorry bud...You are the epitome of troll. A good one, I'll give you that. Good trolls don't realize or believe that they're trolls.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,320

Post#163 » by Arsenal » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:33 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Mik317 wrote:why would Siakam leave Indy lol. They will probably be coming off a second round series or maybe even a ECF.

Exactly my thinking all along. And why would Indy part with what they did for a half season rental? They're clearly intending to max him, and would be crazy not to.

He's not restricted. They can't force him to stay.

It's Morey and Nurse's job to convince him to come here. I don't think it's a hard sell to say playing with Embiid + Maxey gives a better chance to win titles than just with Haliburton.

The money difference is negligible since we have MAX cap space.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,320

Post#164 » by Arsenal » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:35 pm

Embiid P wrote:TBH it wouldn't shock me if Morey waited until next year's deadline to land a star given that there appears to be slim pickings in this year's free agency class. Not saying for certain that it will play out like this, but don't be shocked or overly disappointed if the big move doesn't come right away. If he doesn't make a major move by then though, I'll want him to be gone.

This is very possible if they can't get Siakam or George to bite. If that happens then they need to sign as many value contracts as possible with the cap space to build a deep roster. Then later as you say, if a star comes available package some of those players with our picks to trade for him.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,797

Post#165 » by the_process » Wed May 1, 2024 12:27 am

Arsenal wrote:
Embiid P wrote:TBH it wouldn't shock me if Morey waited until next year's deadline to land a star given that there appears to be slim pickings in this year's free agency class. Not saying for certain that it will play out like this, but don't be shocked or overly disappointed if the big move doesn't come right away. If he doesn't make a major move by then though, I'll want him to be gone.

This is very possible if they can't get Siakam or George to bite. If that happens then they need to sign as many value contracts as possible with the cap space to build a deep roster. Then later as you say, if a star comes available package some of those players with our picks to trade for him.

It borders on unbelievable that Morey would punt two Embiid seasons waiting on FAs and that Embiid would be ok with that.

Then again… Morey is nuts and Joel is a wallflower. So who knows?
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,797

Post#166 » by the_process » Wed May 1, 2024 12:49 am

Arsenal wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

He's not restricted. They can't force him to stay.

It's Morey and Nurse's job to convince him to come here. I don't think it's a hard sell to say playing with Embiid + Maxey gives a better chance to win titles than just with Haliburton.

The money difference is negligible since we have MAX cap space.

I believe the difference is, and someone correct me if I’m wrong, 8% versus 5% raises? That adds up quick.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,952

Post#167 » by Mik317 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:01 am

I really don't think Siakam likes Biid and vice versa lol. Just get an icy feel between the two countrymen...especially since Biid bailed on playing for said country
#NeverGonnaBeGood
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#168 » by brannigan73 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:40 am

mjkvol wrote:

I generally agree but if a team he thinks is a better destination comes along he could force them into a sign a trade so he would get the full money and go elsewhere. He doesn't have to sign there. They could maybe recoup those first round picks from the Sixers they gave to Toronto and we get Siakam. Its a very small chance but not a zero chance. People think we can sign George why would he leave LA?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#169 » by mjkvol » Wed May 1, 2024 1:05 pm

brannigan73 wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I generally agree but if a team he thinks is a better destination comes along he could force them into a sign a trade so he would get the full money and go elsewhere. He doesn't have to sign there. They could maybe recoup those first round picks from the Sixers they gave to Toronto and we get Siakam. Its a very small chance but not a zero chance. People think we can sign George why would he leave LA?

Honestly, I think there's a better chance of making something happen with Siakam than signing George, who may use the Sixers as leverage but has no desire to leave L.A. after forcing his way there. If the Pacers get to the ECF, it's highly unlikely to me that Siakam will want to leave, so we need to root for a Cav comeback if Siakam is the goal.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,260

Post#170 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed May 1, 2024 4:58 pm

I would cross Bron off the list, if he was ever on it. Looks like it would be a waste to draft Bronny to try and sway him.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#171 » by mjkvol » Wed May 1, 2024 5:00 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:I would cross Bron off the list, if he was ever on it.

You could have stopped right there.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,260

Post#172 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed May 1, 2024 5:03 pm

What trade targets are more Maxey-centric? Ingram? Markannen?
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
sodmoraes
Rookie
And1: 557

Post#173 » by sodmoraes » Wed May 1, 2024 5:16 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:What trade targets are more Maxey-centric? Ingram? Markannen?
Both are good options, but i think Markannen would fit better as he shoots the 3 really well, with great volume. It would make things easier to Maxey on the court. Ingram is good to, as he could be our go to iso scorer when Embiid rests. If we could get one of them, a big guard to complement Tyrese( Caruso would be the dream) , resign Oubre for the MLE and get a competent backup center we would be really good next year. Next year we should start giving the keys to Maxey. Limit Embiid to 30 mpg, and Nurse and Morey should sell to him the idea of lose some weight, and focus more on be a defensive beast. He should be a 20ppg guy with way less usage.

Sent from my SM-G780G using RealGM mobile app
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Mik317
RealGM

Post#174 » by Mik317 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:18 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:What trade targets are more Maxey-centric? Ingram? Markannen?

someone who makes it hard to trap him.

Biid at his worst still requires the defense to think on DHOs and PNR.

Part of the reason the offense **** dies in the non Biid minutes is that teams don't give a **** about anyone else. Tobias isn't a quick enough decision maker so they can recover. Batum is but is also much slower and again able to be recovered to. Teams want Lowry to take 3s..and again old and slower. I love BBall but he is a space cadet and teams will live with his funky bull going in because more than likely it will be turnobver enough times. Oubre is interesting but his jumper leaves him too much . So team can just sell out to get the ball out of Maxey's hands asap and no one else is capable consistently enough to hurt that. Hield was supposed to be that with his gravity but lol. Harden was often that but also often shared the court with PJ lol. Basically you got to field lineups in which no one is easy to just leave alone. The Knicks are actually a good example. Yeah Hart is a 31% shooter but he is at least willing to shoot and if needed can take that space and get to a floater. Their bigs are huge and are lob and rebound threats and they generally have two legit shooters next to Brunson. Not to mention that team is pretty athletic so they can muck it up and cause turnovers.

I said it before but Maxey needs to be the smallest guy on the roster and Biid needs to be the least athletic next year. Feels like just getting bigger and more athletic solves a lot of issues IMO.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,862

Post#175 » by stormi » Wed May 1, 2024 5:41 pm

Markkanen should rank really highly up on that list. Elite floor spacer and doesn't need a lot of touches to impact the game. He'd be our Klay/MPJ archetype. Compliments both Embiid and Maxey on the offensive end.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He's not a true secondary rim protector, but he's 7'0 and can move his feet in space and uses his length really well. He's also one of the premier rebounders in the association and would give Embiid much needed relief on both glass'.

Markkanen was 2nd in the NBA in second chance points in 22-23 and was hovering around the top 10 this year as well. He's tough, a presence on and off of the ball and far too potent for teams to not gameplan for. And the best part is that he's still only 26.

I can't think of many attainable players with our draft capital that would be a more worthwhile investment.

Although Ainge would give him to Boston for scraps before he helped us out.
Mik317
RealGM

Post#176 » by Mik317 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:04 pm

Lauri is a guy OKC should and could outbid anyone for.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#177 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed May 1, 2024 6:16 pm

I don't think OKC has an offer as enticing as we do.
Embiid for Lauri
Unless they are willing to offer SGA we will get it done.
fkd215
Sophomore
And1: 124

Post#178 » by fkd215 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:38 pm

I’m betting that the action will be in the days up to June 30th when the new CBA kicks in, when teams are going to want to shed salaries to avoid the apron penalties. I also think that there will be a lot of intriguing opportunities, but I don’t expect them to be star-level players being traded, for the most part. Teams will want to shed their overpaid 3rd and 4th best players, (their Tobias Harrises). That said, if stars are disgruntled, this would be the time to trade them. Should be very unpredictable, and interesting. I’m sure Morey’s got a bunch of scenarios gamed out.
fkd215
Sophomore
And1: 124

Post#179 » by fkd215 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:50 pm

Phoenix, Milwaukee, Boston, Denver, and Minnesota are projected to be above the apron for 2024-25, and Miami, Golden State, Dallas, and the Lakers are within $10m of it. I expect Boston and Denver, and possibly Minnesota (depending on how they do in the playoffs) to be OK with being over the 2nd apron, but the rest of the above teams seem likely to want to lower payroll, potentially by trading into cap space. That’s where the opportunities should come from.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,530

Post#180 » by elchengue20 » Wed May 1, 2024 7:28 pm

Markannen would be a fantastic 2nd to 3rd option. Huge upgrade over Tobias.

This Playoffs have been the confirmation our offense has to be built around Maxey and not Embiid.

Embiid has to concentrate (and save energy ) for defense and rebounding. His biggest impact has always been there in the Playoffs. On offense just take what the defense gives you. Can't force feed him nomore, he can't hanlde double teams and also the pressure makes his flow go away, pull ups jumpers don't fall as often.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers