ImageImageImage

Game 5: Knicks (3-1) vs. Sixers (1-3) | Tue Apr 30 7.00 pm. TNT

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Re: Game 5: Knicks (3-1) vs. Sixers (1-3) | Tue Apr 30 7.00 pm. TNT 

Post#441 » by AI_Efficiency » Wed May 1, 2024 2:27 am

Negrodamus wrote:Embiid needs to play his game like he did when he drove in the lane and passed it to a wide open Oubre (who missed another bunny, but then Embiid rebounded and got the foul). If he doesn't force the issue on offense and just takes his midrange shots, drives when they overcommit and take what is given to him, he'll get 20pts in an efficient way while not completely killing the offensive flow.

I’m still nervous that the role players won’t hit open threes when the Knicks double embiid (at least not two games in a row), but agree that Embiid needs to not force it and just play smart.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,455

Post#442 » by FlyingArrow » Wed May 1, 2024 2:28 am

Slacktard wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Embiid needs to play his game like he did when he drove in the lane and passed it to a wide open Oubre (who missed another bunny, but then Embiid rebounded and got the foul). If he doesn't force the issue on offense and just takes his midrange shots, drives when they overcommit and take what is given to him, he'll get 20pts in an efficient way while not completely killing the offensive flow.

Embiid made some bad passes tonight, but he's playing hurt and was gassed... Nobody can look at how he was playing this season and not see that Embiid improved his passing this season. Sixers desperately need a 'dunk city' finisher type. It doesn't have to be someone who can create their own offense. Give me a guy who can rebound, defend and get some cherries from a driving Embiid or Maxey (or some lobs) and finish that way for 10 points a game.

Pacers don't need Obi Toppin anymore if they're keeping Siakim. He's a dunk city finisher for sure.

(Yes, I'm biased. Go Dayton!)
FlyingArrow
Starter

Post#443 » by FlyingArrow » Wed May 1, 2024 2:30 am

rocketsfan100 wrote:I said it months ago and it’s not popular, maxey needs to be the focal point of the offense from here on. Joel just can’t stay healthy and to be honest is not reliable in elimination games. Maxey has heart and the game to be the number 1 guy.

I agree with this for a different reason. Joel spends too much energy on offense. When he isn't gassed, he does incredible things on the defensive end. Make Maxey the #1 option so Embiid has more energy down the stretch.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#444 » by Ben » Wed May 1, 2024 2:33 am

ivysixer2000 wrote:Its disturbing to me how many calls Maxey doesn't get. He gets no respect at all, and we need him to get that respect moving forward. The refs have to think of him as a superstar and give him the calls they give Brunson and Embiid. Just don't know if that will happen this season with Jojo on the court.

Career statement game from Max. Hope people paid attention, especially the refs and NBA. He's a superstar and now we have 2 superstars, just wish Jojo was healthy.

It's true, and I've made the Derrick Rose comparison here before but I'll make it again. I don't mean that they're similar players; I mean that very early in Rose's career Bulls fans would get really bummed that he didn't get the star whistles. He was so athletic and quick that he could snake around players and avoid contact near the rim. But of course that's not what gets you the really big points; you need to be able to absorb and even initiate contact to get to the line. AND you need to have the refs' attention as a star. Sometimes it seems like a Catch-22: you're not gonna get the refs' star treatment until you've become a big scorer, but you need refs' star treatment to become a big scorer.

Anyway, through a combination of initiating more contact and respect from refs, Rose started getting more calls after his first 20 ppg season-- in other words, in his 3rd season-- and I hope that it'll happen soon for Maxey. It took Brunson til his 4th and 5th seasons, so it's not just Maxey. But we do need him at that line.
FlyingArrow
Starter

Post#445 » by FlyingArrow » Wed May 1, 2024 2:33 am

Random comment - refs missed two clear out of bounds calls on the baseline. One against each team. Each team had saved the ball but it was called out.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,828

Post#446 » by 76ciology » Wed May 1, 2024 2:33 am

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#447 » by zaz102 » Wed May 1, 2024 2:33 am

FlyingArrow wrote:
zaz102 wrote:
Slacktard wrote:
Will Nurse have finally learned his lesson?

Keeping Embiid in the game tonight with a 5-point lead only for a hobbled and gassed Embiid to be on the court while the Knicks then go on a 8-0 run serves NO PURPOSE AT ALL.

If you're going to let teams go on a run *with* a gassed Embiid, then take him out so when you put him back in you have a better chance of making up for whatever you 'gave up' with him out, but fresher.
Problem is they get down quickly with BBall in. They tried a short time with a small ball lineup, but that didn't work great either. Only other real option is Bamba. I wouldn't be surprised to see him next game, but I'm skeptical that he'll fare any better.

I don't know how Bamba would fare in the playoffs, but statistically in the regular season Bamba is pretty much a league-average center, which is what we've been hoping for as a backup for Embiid! He looks bad to the eye maybe, but his length is almost as absurd as Wemby's. That length by itself seems to impact the game in invisible ways, because his stats are worlds better than the eye test. It seems like everyone talks down Mo Bamba, but the numbers...

.128 WS/48 is comparable to Naz Reid, Brook Lopez
17.8% TRB% is comparable to Bam Adebayo, Evan Mobley
39% 3pt% is better than Porzingis, Holmgren, or Brook Lopez
7.4% blk% is better than any qualified player not named Wembanyama
15.4 PER is basically league average. (The stat itself is designed so that 15.0 is average.)
.575 TS% is below league-average (if he qualified), but not by a ton

I'm not suggesting that he'd keep those numbers up if he played starter's minutes and always against the first string of a playoff team, but the narrative that Bamba is just terrible doesn't come from his stats. It comes from him looking like a bonehead on the court, and then add confirmation bias on top of it. But for every foul or turnover or missed assignment, there must be an opponent's missed shot or shot-not-taken that keeps his advanced stats looking okay. And his counting stats actually look good.

I assume since he's not playing that there's evidence that those stats are mostly piled up against weak benches, but as bad as things have gone it might be worth trying Bamba for 8 minutes or so. Paul Reed has decent stats, too - some better and some worse than Bamba's. But when he spells Embiid it hasn't translated to good stretches. It's a different look, though, when you put someone in who is even longer than Embiid.
That's good analysis, although I think some is misleading due to sample size. But he definitely has looked decent for stretches at the end of the season.

With how bad they've been without Embiid on the floor, Nurse has to strongly consider Bamba unless there's something behind the scenes we're not aware of.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,795

Post#448 » by Sixersftw » Wed May 1, 2024 2:36 am

FlyingArrow wrote:
rocketsfan100 wrote:I said it months ago and it’s not popular, maxey needs to be the focal point of the offense from here on. Joel just can’t stay healthy and to be honest is not reliable in elimination games. Maxey has heart and the game to be the number 1 guy.

I agree with this for a different reason. Joel spends too much energy on offense. When he isn't gassed, he does incredible things on the defensive end. Make Maxey the #1 option so Embiid has more energy down the stretch.

I think a Jimmy/Jo type dynamic makes a lot of sense for them. Jo paces the team q1-3 and then shifts into defense mode for the 4th with Maxey taking over the offense. Reliable role players would also help Jo's tank but I guess we aint ever getting that.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,390

Post#449 » by Murray_17 » Wed May 1, 2024 2:37 am

Read on Twitter
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,701

Post#450 » by FireMorey » Wed May 1, 2024 2:39 am

I honestly don't care how Embiid plays the rest of the series as long as he doesn't need some new surgery after the season or something more serious isn't going on in that knee. Because if there is and they're letting him play on it I'll never forgive them.
FlyingArrow
Starter

Post#451 » by FlyingArrow » Wed May 1, 2024 2:40 am

zaz102 wrote:That's good analysis, although I think some is misleading due to sample size. But he definitely has looked decent for stretches at the end of the season.

With how bad they've been without Embiid on the floor, Nurse has to strongly consider Bamba unless there's something behind the scenes we're not aware of.

I don't think there's anything behind the scenes with Bamba. His mistakes are visible to everyone. So much so that people don't seem to bother looking at his stats. How do you mitigate things when you fully expect him to miss an assignment every 5th possession and it leads to a wide open layup or jump shot? Or to have unnecessary fouls? Those things are easy to see and are probably why he doesn't play. The real question is whether his game (i.e. the decent stats despite bad eye test) translates to the playoffs or not. I don't know how you answer that question without playing him in the playoffs, but the coaches probably have some method that led to Paul Reed getting the minutes instead of Bamba.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#452 » by AI_Efficiency » Wed May 1, 2024 2:41 am

Looks like the opening line for game 6 has the Sixers slightly favored. If I lived in a legal gambling state I would absolutely bet against us knowing our team and be thrilled if I lost money and we won. Would consider it buying a Sixers victory.
FlyingArrow
Starter

Post#453 » by FlyingArrow » Wed May 1, 2024 2:42 am

FireMorey wrote:I honestly don't care how Embiid plays the rest of the series as long as he doesn't need some new surgery after the season or something more serious isn't going on in that knee. Because if there is and they're letting him play on it I'll never forgive them.

Agreed. If it was the finals, okay. Maybe even the conference finals. But there's something serious going on there right now and he's playing on it... he isn't going to last through 4 rounds anyway. Pointless.

But they've said it's structurally sound and he's still learning to trust it.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,034

Post#454 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed May 1, 2024 2:43 am

Sad to see so many Sixers fans blaming Embiid when hes playing on one leg and BP. Give the man a break. Hes clearly playing at 50%.

Maxey is only 23 and already a star. This was always going to be a transition year for the Sixers.

Get Embiid healthy. Replace Tobias with PG or Derozan. Then you are really cooking.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,162

Post#455 » by mjkvol » Wed May 1, 2024 2:43 am

Remarkable win, and I think we got a glimpse of the future tonight, with Embiid clearly deferring to Maxey as the primary option. And Maxey essentially had a coming out party for his ascension to the next level. Now the officials need to see that and give him the respect a player of his level generally gets.

This is the Embiid I would love to see moving forward - defense, rebounding, facilitating, and taking his shots when they are there. He was incredibly sloppy, but the basic plan is the one Nick should be looking at moving forward.

I love the small ball lineup when sitting Embiid. The Knicks don't have a threat at center, and will respond with small ball themselves, but that gives us spacing and shooters all over the floor. Hope Nick goes back to that in game 6, it just isn't going to work with Reed.

And how about Tobias saying "you're not rid of me yet!"
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,701

Post#456 » by FireMorey » Wed May 1, 2024 2:44 am

FlyingArrow wrote:
FireMorey wrote:I honestly don't care how Embiid plays the rest of the series as long as he doesn't need some new surgery after the season or something more serious isn't going on in that knee. Because if there is and they're letting him play on it I'll never forgive them.

Agreed. If it was the finals, okay. Maybe even the conference finals. But there's something serious going on there right now and he's playing on it... he isn't going to last through 4 rounds anyway. Pointless.

But they've said it's structurally sound and he's still learning to trust it.

They've lost our trust in that regard. We've heard that before and then we get the inevitable Woj bomb for a surgery.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,842

Post#457 » by phillynative » Wed May 1, 2024 2:49 am

Ben wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:Its disturbing to me how many calls Maxey doesn't get. He gets no respect at all, and we need him to get that respect moving forward. The refs have to think of him as a superstar and give him the calls they give Brunson and Embiid. Just don't know if that will happen this season with Jojo on the court.

Career statement game from Max. Hope people paid attention, especially the refs and NBA. He's a superstar and now we have 2 superstars, just wish Jojo was healthy.

It's true, and I've made the Derrick Rose comparison here before but I'll make it again. I don't mean that they're similar players; I mean that very early in Rose's career Bulls fans would get really bummed that he didn't get the star whistles. He was so athletic and quick that he could snake around players and avoid contact near the rim. But of course that's not what gets you the really big points; you need to be able to absorb and even initiate contact to get to the line. AND you need to have the refs' attention as a star. Sometimes it seems like a Catch-22: you're not gonna get the refs' star treatment until you've become a big scorer, but you need refs' star treatment to become a big scorer.

Anyway, through a combination of initiating more contact and respect from refs, Rose started getting more calls after his first 20 ppg season-- in other words, in his 3rd season-- and I hope that it'll happen soon for Maxey. It took Brunson til his 4th and 5th seasons, so it's not just Maxey. But we do need him at that line.

Good point.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,092

Post#458 » by Negrodamus » Wed May 1, 2024 2:50 am

There's something so much more enjoyable about us winning in front of every major former Knick and NYC based celebrity in attendance.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,162

Post#459 » by mjkvol » Wed May 1, 2024 2:51 am

Slacktard wrote:

Embiid made some bad passes tonight, but he's playing hurt and was gassed... Nobody can look at how he was playing this season and not see that Embiid improved his passing this season. Sixers desperately need a 'dunk city' finisher type. It doesn't have to be someone who can create their own offense. Give me a guy who can rebound, defend and get some cherries from a driving Embiid or Maxey (or some lobs) and finish that way for 10 points a game.

An Aaron Gordon type player in that spot would be perfect. The trick is finding that guy.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,618

Post#460 » by Jailblazers7 » Wed May 1, 2024 2:54 am

Maxey was just straight up unbelievable, what a game. That logo three for the tie was amazing. I think he’s learned how to fully leverage his combo of speed & shooting and it’s a thing to behold.

We should straight up build the team around him moving forward. He’s that caliber of talent offensively.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers